The D&D Thread

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
tuttle
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Re: The D&D Thread

Post by tuttle » Fri Jun 17, 2016 1:10 pm

UncleBob wrote:
tuttle wrote:
UncleBob wrote:Hello!

Last night at the hootenanny some folks expressed interest in starting an online D&D group. Pepik would GM and develop/adapt an adventure set in The World of Greyhawk using the online virtual tabletop Roll20. If you would like to play or are interested in learning more, please respond here.

List so far:
  • Pepik (GM)
  • Skip
  • UncleBob
This sounds so much fun. Don't add me to the list just yet...I'd need some more details. Mostly what times/days this would go down? And what version we'd be playing?
No one is sure about the particulars but those will all be negotiated and discussed by those on the list since they are the ones who want to play. (Hint, hint.) I think in the past we were talking about once a month.
Ok.

put me on the list.
"You're my kind of stupid" -Mal Reynolds

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

The Reformation Drinking Song

Skip
Everything in Moderatoration
Everything in Moderatoration

Post by Skip » Fri Jun 17, 2016 2:34 pm

Chaotic Neutral

A chaotic neutral character follows his whims. He is an individualist first and last. He values his own liberty but doesn’t strive to protect others’ freedom. He avoids authority, resents restrictions, and challenges traditions. The chaotic neutral character does not intentionally disrupt organizations as part of a campaign of anarchy. To do so, he would have to be motivated either by good (and a desire to liberate others) or evil (and a desire to make those different from himself suffer). The common phrase for chaotic neutral is "true chaotic." Remember that the chaotic neutral character may be unpredictable, but his behavior is not totally random. He is not as likely to jump off a bridge as to cross it. Chaotic neutral is the best alignment you can be because it represents true freedom both from society’s restrictions and from a do-gooder’s zeal.

That's changed since I last took the test, but not surprising...
2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 Winner of the CPS Award: "Most Likely to be Found Without Pants at Any Given Moment"

"No man is peer to Skip, peasant." -A_Morley

Pepik
Working as Intended

Post by Pepik » Fri Jun 17, 2016 5:22 pm

In terms of versions, I can do 1ed and 2ed today. With more study (read as this will get delayed) I can do 3ed, but only have a few references for 3.5ed. I do not, nor do I intend to snag, 4ed or later.

Now if someone else wants to run it with a version later than 2ed, I'm in for that too!

If I get 3ed into my head, that'd open up Eberron adventures which are pretty damned cool.
Rgrds,
Joe

"I'm an alarmingly happy and optimistic person" - A_Morley
"I drank what?" - Socrates

UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Post by UncleBob » Fri Jun 17, 2016 6:03 pm

I always liked 2nd Ed.
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

Jocose
a large Chinese man named Wu
a large Chinese man named Wu

Post by Jocose » Fri Jun 17, 2016 6:13 pm

"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

I've crossed the Bosphorus.

I'm what some CPS'ers have called "Worse than advertised"

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Fri Jun 17, 2016 6:38 pm

Jocose wrote:Image
No, no. Nerds have a use. Whereas D&D enthusiasts, well....
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

tuttle
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by tuttle » Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:10 pm

Pepik wrote:In terms of versions, I can do 1ed and 2ed today. With more study (read as this will get delayed) I can do 3ed, but only have a few references for 3.5ed. I do not, nor do I intend to snag, 4ed or later.

Now if someone else wants to run it with a version later than 2ed, I'm in for that too!

If I get 3ed into my head, that'd open up Eberron adventures which are pretty damned cool.
5e rules are simple and even free online (Web and pdf):
http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/basicrules

Just sayin...

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

Pepik
Working as Intended

Post by Pepik » Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:25 pm

tuttle wrote:
Pepik wrote:In terms of versions, I can do 1ed and 2ed today. With more study (read as this will get delayed) I can do 3ed, but only have a few references for 3.5ed. I do not, nor do I intend to snag, 4ed or later.

5e rules are simple and even free online (Web and pdf):
http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/basicrules

Just sayin...
You want try a hand at runnin' it? ;) I don't have to GM it, I just wanted to chance to play!

I was thinking 2ed with houserules to got along with the set of adventures I already have mapped out and set. Less of a pain to convert them to the newer editions.
Rgrds,
Joe

Pepik
Working as Intended

Post by Pepik » Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:36 pm

On second thought, I'm looking at https://www.fantasygrounds.com which has D&D 3.5E, D&D 4E, D&D 5E and the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game builtin already.

Hmmm... Maybe a newer ED is possible given it sounds like they already have adventures online! I figure I'd get the Ultimate license allowing everyone else to just connect with the free client.

/ponder
Rgrds,
Joe

Winton
Frozen Sing-A-Long Elsa Doll
Frozen Sing-A-Long Elsa Doll

Post by Winton » Sat Jun 18, 2016 5:48 pm

You guys crack me up. I play an online game Runescape, occasionally. My wife disagrees. My skill levels range from 93-99 on a scale from 1-99. I have been on it for about six years.

Pepik
Working as Intended

Post by Pepik » Sun Jun 19, 2016 4:13 pm

Pepik wrote:On second thought, I'm looking at https://www.fantasygrounds.com which has D&D 3.5E, D&D 4E, D&D 5E and the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game builtin already.

Hmmm... Maybe a newer ED is possible given it sounds like they already have adventures online! I figure I'd get the Ultimate license allowing everyone else to just connect with the free client.

/ponder
Looking into this further, I think I can spring for this. Question is, are the currently interested players up to installing the client since this won't be running on a Web-site. Check out the demo for the OS of your choice and see if it works.
Rgrds,
Joe

Pepik
Working as Intended

Post by Pepik » Sun Jun 19, 2016 5:48 pm

Well too late. I bought the base package.

Download the package and see it works (at least starts). Check their site out for OSes other than Windows: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/home/home.php#Downloads
Rgrds,
Joe

tuttle
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by tuttle » Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:35 am

Pepik wrote:Well too late. I bought the base package.

Download the package and see it works (at least starts). Check their site out for OSes other than Windows: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/home/home.php#Downloads
I'll have to check this out when I get home. From what I can access about it on YouTube it looks like a pretty cool platform! (and I don't care which version we play...[yes I do--no 4E]...whatever we play will be fun)

Pepik
Working as Intended

Post by Pepik » Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:08 pm

I'm going to see how far we can get with the 5E ruleset with freebie material so we can get accustomed. The Rule books are $50 a pop to plug into the 'warez, as well as $30 some for pre-prepared adventures (which is actually pretty decent as it's lvl 1-15 materials).

That might be possible over time, but not immediately.

This platform make mechanics hella easy (it bloody well manages <i>encumbrance</i>) so more play - less work. Time's at a premium for me these days, so this works!

Also, there seems to be some other systems that I liked playing that could be incorporated.
Rgrds,
Joe

Thoth
Never had a corndog taco shake
Never had a corndog taco shake

Post by Thoth » Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:40 pm

TOo bad its not 1ed but beggars can't be choosers ( have a soft spot for the forgotten realms and in particular Kara-tur and the Oriental Adventures expansion).

I'm interested but once more details are I'll see if it is logistically feasible (currently at pregnancy defcon 1) .
"Go and reconcile with him who has trespassed against you before he comes and apologises to you and steals your crown" - H.H. Pope Cyril VI<br><br>"O Lord I was not aware of the treasure within me that is You" - H.H. Pope Shenouda III

Pepik
Working as Intended

Post by Pepik » Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:50 pm

1ed adventures can be easily converted, there are other RPG systems that support 1ed as is, I'd have to convert in all the rule book content (given time, easy to do). Honestly, from the play, you really can't tell which system you're using outside of a few things with combat (LUA scripts hide all the ugliness) and class types.
Rgrds,
Joe

Pepik
Working as Intended

Post by Pepik » Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:00 am

As of last night, we now have an adventure for a group of five or so level 1's, in 5ed. Those on the 'list' start boning up on that free player"s guide, and we need UB to up the ante on recruitment and tentative scheduling. ;)
Rgrds,
Joe

tuttle
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by tuttle » Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:33 am

Pepik wrote:As of last night, we now have an adventure for a group of five or so level 1's, in 5ed. Those on the 'list' start boning up on that free player"s guide, and we need UB to up the ante on recruitment and tentative scheduling. ;)
:taco:

I still need to check that platform out. The boy's ballgames have zapped my evenings.

Excited for this to take place! Thanks Pepik

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:37 am

Pepik wrote:As of last night, we now have an adventure for a group of five or so level 1's, in 5ed. Those on the 'list' start boning up on that free player"s guide, and we need UB to up the ante on recruitment and tentative scheduling. ;)
Sorry. I have been concentrating on family stuff right now.
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

Pepik
Working as Intended

Re: RE: Re: The D&D Thread

Post by Pepik » Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:22 am

UncleBob wrote:
Sorry. I have been concentrating on family stuff right now.
No worries, I just advanced the timeline by splurging on $9 conversion for an existing printed adventure!
Rgrds,
Joe