GUNS! That's what's happenin'!

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Jocose
a large Chinese man named Wu

Re: GUNS! That's what's happenin'!

Post by Jocose » Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:22 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:17 pm
Jocose wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:10 pm
Cleon wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:23 am
Sig Sauer beat out Glock by more than $100 million on Army handgun bid
Then the two designs were judged competitively on eight factors as well as price. On seven nonmoneteary factors, the Sig offering, a version of their popular Model P320, was found to be “acceptable” in one category, “good” in three, and “outstanding” in three while the Glock, by comparison, was found “acceptable” in one, “good” in five, and “marginal” in one.
,” the biggest difference between the two was in price. The Glock proposal quoted $272,232,563. The Sig, $169,527,169, leading it to be selected in January to fill the need for what will be the new M17 and M18 handguns for the military

Guess what? Glock will go boom every time.
Even when they're out of battery.
I have a feeling that whoever took that picture did that on purpose to appease the folks who scream "that's not safe!" (Having a gun in the nightstand)
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

I've crossed the Bosphorus.

Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado

Post by Thunktank » Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:54 pm

Jocose wrote:
Cleon wrote:
Then the two designs were judged competitively on eight factors as well as price. On seven nonmoneteary factors, the Sig offering, a version of their popular Model P320, was found to be “acceptable” in one category, “good” in three, and “outstanding” in three while the Glock, by comparison, was found “acceptable” in one, “good” in five, and “marginal” in one.
,” the biggest difference between the two was in price. The Glock proposal quoted $272,232,563. The Sig, $169,527,169, leading it to be selected in January to fill the need for what will be the new M17 and M18 handguns for the military

Glocks are the Remington 870 Express of the pistol world.

I'm going to ask my wife for an autoloader or over under 12 gauge from Berretta, Browning or Benellie for our anniversary next year. She bought me an 870 Express shortly after I left the service so that I could start hunting again. It was a big deal on her part because she was not a fan of guns at all at the time. It goes bang every time. It's been reserved for waterfowl for years now. That Sig is just a little nicer than the Glock.

Jocose

Post by Jocose » Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:55 pm

Thunktank wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:54 pm
Jocose wrote:
Cleon wrote:

I'm going to ask my wife for an autoloader or over under 12 gauge from Berretta, Browning or Benellie for our anniversary next year. She bought me an 870 Express shortly after I left the service so that I could start hunting again. It was a big deal on her part because she was not a fan of guns at all at the time. It goes bang every time. It's been reserved for waterfowl for years now. That Sig is just a little nicer than the Glock.
The contract went to the lowest bidder.
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

I've crossed the Bosphorus.

Thunktank

Post by Thunktank » Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:16 pm

Jocose wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:55 pm
Thunktank wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:54 pm
Jocose wrote:
Cleon wrote:

The contract went to the lowest bidder.
That's smart. Both work well for their intended use. I was issued a Berretta 92. That worked too.

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:59 pm

I loved the Beretta 92. Loved. Hoping they go surplus, but I know they won't.

The most interesting thing about this test is the pistol had to be capable of being chambered in different rounds and customizable by the end user for ergonomics. Could be a real nice thing for Glocks which, in their current configuration, don't really fit me.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

Thunktank

Post by Thunktank » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:27 pm

Sometimes, God provides in unexpected ways. I recently bought a Ruger M77 MK II rifle in .260 Remington caliber. It's primary purpose for now is to provide my sons with something they can learn to shoot centerfire with and for big game hunting. To start, I want to load up even lighter loads than normal, even though the .260 is already known to be a relatively low recoil round. I ordered the dies and brass the other day and started looking at powder choices and bullets. Sierra Pro Hunters in 120 grain look like good bullets, but then there's the question of powder. Turns out that I have a client friend of mine who yesterday told me he wanted to give me any powder I wanted from the large stash he has that he does not use for anymore, mqny unopened bottles even. Among them was IMR 3031. Perfect, that will provide nice lower velocity and lower recoil loads to start with. I also found some other good powders for full power loads in my .260, .308 And 30-06. I have been using factory loads so far because they worked fine, but with California's coming changes to ammunition laws, I decided to start reloading for them, besides, I have a lifetime supply of brass for the 30-06 and 308. :chili:

UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Post by UncleBob » Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:18 pm

Mrs. UB is taking a CCW class this summer so we have been looking at weapons for her to carry. I carry one of these in .45LC/.410:
Bond Arms Snake Slayer IV

She will probably go more this route in .357Mag/.38:
Ruger SP101
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

Thunktank

Post by Thunktank » Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:06 pm

UncleBob wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:18 pm
Mrs. UB is taking a CCW class this summer so we have been looking at weapons for her to carry. I carry one of these in .45LC/.410:
Bond Arms Snake Slayer IV

She will probably go more this route in .357Mag/.38:
Ruger SP101
I was watching a commercial presentation on the Bond Arms 45LC/410. Impressive, but two rounds? Yeah, I know the average shots fired in self defense is 1.5. However, there are a few instances every year where up to five shots are used.

The Ruger SP101 has always been one on my list to be carried in a brief case or glove box.

If I decide to apply for my CCW, and get a gun to carry on me, I would get a Smith&Wesson M&P Shield.

It has an outstanding profile for handling, shootablity and concealment.

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:53 pm

We went to the Lubbock Gun and Knife Expo today. We have been going as a family for 6 years or so and I have been going for 10 years. I have bought several firearms and knives there over the years. We missed the last couple (last one we attended was in October 2016) but Mrs. UB was looking for one of these:
Bond Arms Bond Girl

I almost brought home one of these:
Winchester 1885 .375 H&H "Falling Block"

But I digress. I counted 9 tables that openly displayed White Supremacy literature, patches, etc. I was with The Boy and at one of these tables he wanted to look at a knife for sale. He asked and was ignored. I asked and was ignored. The guy just stared at some point off to my left. As we turned to leave, I heard him mumble "Race traitor."

I now know why they don't allow loaded weapons on the floor.

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by durangopipe » Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:09 pm

UncleBob wrote:
Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:53 pm
We went to the Lubbock Gun and Knife Expo today. We have been going as a family for 6 years or so and I have been going for 10 years. I have bought several firearms and knives there over the years. We missed the last couple (last one we attended was in October 2016) but Mrs. UB was looking for one of these:
Bond Arms Bond Girl

But I digress. I counted 9 tables that openly displayed White Supremacy literature, patches, etc. I was with The Boy and at one of these tables he wanted to look at a knife for sale. He asked and was ignored. I asked and was ignored. The guy just stared at some point off to my left. As we turned to leave, I heard him mumble "Race traitor."

The last gun show I went to was at our county fairgrounds several years ago.
One of the sellers had spread a Nazi flag on his table as a table cloth.

Many of the attendees were wearing variations on white power themes as patches, tee shirts, vests.

I'd somehow missed the moment when gun ownership went from being something wholesome and almost every kid had a .22 and a .410, to guns bringing all the cockroaches out of the woodwork.

I've never gone to another gun show.
I'd rather patronize my local gun shops.
The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.

J.R.R. Tolkien

Wherever we go in the world we find other men speaking the same language...dreaming the same dreams. And one of the big four - brownie, or brookie, cutthroat or rainbow - is the cause of it all.

Roderick Haig-Brown

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:44 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:09 pm
UncleBob wrote:
Bond Arms Bond Girl

Many of the attendees were wearing variations on white power themes as patches, tee shirts, vests.

I'd somehow missed the moment when gun ownership went from being something wholesome and almost every kid had a .22 and a .410, to guns bringing all the cockroaches out of the woodwork.

Hmm.. in Colorado? I thought they were present at gun shows in the past because I would see occasionally a knife with some Nazi images but I have never seen anything this overt before. Certainly no one has ever said anything to me before this.

I did see more swords and large knives at this show. It may have something to do with this: Texas law to allow open carry of large bladed weapons like daggers, swords.

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:36 pm

UncleBob wrote:
Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:44 pm
durangopipe wrote:
Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:09 pm
UncleBob wrote:
Bond Arms Bond Girl

Hmm.. in Colorado? I thought they were present at gun shows in the past because I would see occasionally a knife with some Nazi images but I have never seen anything this overt before. Certainly no one has ever said anything to me before this.

I did see more swords and large knives at this show. It may have something to do with this: Texas law to allow open carry of large bladed weapons like daggers, swords.
Bob, I'm a proudly armed race traitor. My kids are miscegenated from only two strains, probably an improvement on the average American mongrel. Living as I do in the city, I defy Billy Jo Retard to get me. Come on over anytime.

Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Cleon » Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:31 am

There is a gun show here on the 3rd and 4th of August. I'm going to try to make it. I will report back if I do.
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

Thunktank

Post by Thunktank » Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:23 pm

There are some elements at our local gun show for sure! Though, the only Nazi Flag I saw was at reenactment booths for WWII. American gun culture is more accurately plural. I don't like some of it. I prefer sporting arms for hunting game with and shoot lots of sporting clays and high power rifle silhouette informally. I like to reload my own ammution which I will do today. It's my relaxing hobby as it forces me to slow down and concentrate on the mechanics at hand. Probably similar to how you fly tiers feel. All other stresses fade away while I reload. The gun show has proven useful for finding specific gun powders when they were otherwise hard to get. That's not the case now though.

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:42 pm

I want an A y A double gun in 12 bore with 28 inch barrels.

Thunktank

Post by Thunktank » Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:59 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:42 pm
Me too. There was a used one here last year in 16 gauge. I really wish I could have pulled that off. It pointed like the finger of god in my hands.

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:57 pm

Thunktank wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:59 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:42 pm
Me too. There was a used one here last year in 16 gauge. I really wish I could have pulled that off. It pointed like the finger of god in my hands.
I got to shoot one yesterday. It was splendid. Better than the fellows krieghoff and far cheaper. Anyone know where I can sell slightly used children?