GUNS! That's what's happenin'!

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician

GUNS! That's what's happenin'!

Post by UncleBob » Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:59 pm

"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

mont974x4
It's gotten old now
It's gotten old now

Post by mont974x4 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:19 pm

I was reading about this good news earlier. :D
It sounded better when the voices in my head were saying it.

Ire attracter-at-large and general misanthrope.

dasmokeryaget
Has short thumbs
Has short thumbs

Post by dasmokeryaget » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:25 pm

IM movin to GA.

Spyderweb
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Spyderweb » Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:35 pm

Cool. My home away from home.

DAN
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by DAN » Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:52 pm

For decades now, I have watched with slack-jawed amazement as anti-gunners prophesy ongoing wild-west bloodbaths at the passage of every pro-gun or pro-concealed-carry legislation. It never happens and they never learn.

It's the darndest thing I've ever seen.
In search of a sig line that somehow doesn't offend someone who richly deserves it.

mont974x4
It's gotten old now
It's gotten old now

Post by mont974x4 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:46 pm

dasmokeryaget wrote:IM movin to GA.
Yeah I might have to see what churches there are looking for a pastor.

mont974x4
It's gotten old now
It's gotten old now

Post by mont974x4 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:47 pm

DAN wrote:For decades now, I have watched with slack-jawed amazement as anti-gunners prophesy ongoing wild-west bloodbaths at the passage of every pro-gun or pro-concealed-carry legislation. It never happens and they never learn.

Yep. All they have is fear.

SteveH
It's a disgrace. I don't care.

Post by SteveH » Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:24 am

Unbelievable. Pure madness.
I don't bother with a Jacuzzi - I just fart in the bath.

SteveH

Post by SteveH » Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:27 am

DAN wrote:For decades now, I have watched with slack-jawed amazement as anti-gunners prophesy ongoing wild-west bloodbaths at the passage of every pro-gun or pro-concealed-carry legislation. It never happens and they never learn.

What do you mean, "It never happens"? Haven't you heard of Columbine, and dozens of other tragedies? They happen every few years in the US, not to mention the single-murder rate. Over here, we had Dunblane about 20 years ago, and Hungerford quite a few years before that, and that's about it, in my lifetime.

hogleg
Chief Strong Wind (Pops to TLO)

Post by hogleg » Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:34 am

SteveH wrote:Unbelievable. Pure madness.
Pure madness is thinking legislation to control items (guns or any other things) will control violence and/or death and that the lack of control of those items will cause more violence. If that were the case, violent crime would not be decreasing.

The problems are in the hearts of men, and that goes back to Cain. The problem has never been the implements man uses. I carry a firearm nearly daily, and I have yet to commit any acts of violence. And guess what? My firearms have yet to commit any acts felonious acts on their own. Preventing me from carrying solves absolutely nothing.
Last edited by hogleg on Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
Aye. Happiness has been achieved. I can now love you all because I'll never know what you actually think. --- Hugodrax, 16 July 2016

hogleg

Re: GUNS! That's what's happenin'!

Post by hogleg » Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:39 am

"Georgia law allows guns in some schools, bars, churches"

Here, they've been allowed in establishment serving alcohol, in churches, and even in the state capital for sometime. Not a problem. Those intent on committing felonious acts have never been stopped by laws anyway. Laws do not prevent violence. They codify punishments.
Last edited by hogleg on Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aye. Happiness has been achieved. I can now love you all because I'll never know what you actually think. --- Hugodrax, 16 July 2016

DAN
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by DAN » Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:43 am

By "ongoing wild-west bloodbaths" I do not mean "lunatic-perpetrated mass murders." What was prophesied, for example, here in Oklahoma, when we passed concealed-carry, was heretofore peaceable citizens settling arguments over parking spaces with gunfights. We were assured that the citizenry would be shooting each other up in the streets at record rates. It never happened. No concealed carry permit holder in Oklahoma has ever been implicated in such a shooting. Likewise, when we passed open carry, we were told that macho ego-driven men would be gunning each other down over giving each other dirty looks. That never happened, either. Perhaps you don't see a difference between nutcases gunning down defenseless victims--they never choose places where someone might shoot back, of course--and normal citizens resorting to gunplay because they haven't had their coffee, but it seems like there's a difference to me. Thank God for Oklahoma--and Georgia.
In search of a sig line that somehow doesn't offend someone who richly deserves it.

hogleg

Post by hogleg » Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:44 am

Watch the map.

DAN
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by DAN » Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:16 am

I almost forgot one. At one time, Oklahoma law required that if, say, an intruder broke into your home, you were required to retreat rather than defend, if you could retreat safely. When the law was changed and you no longer had to leave your own home if someone broke in, critics prophesied that there would be murder after murder, with people luring folks with whom they had a grievance into their homes, shooting them, and then claiming "self-defense." That never happened, either.

dasmokeryaget
Has short thumbs
Has short thumbs

Post by dasmokeryaget » Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:29 am

DAN wrote:By "ongoing wild-west bloodbaths" I do not mean "lunatic-perpetrated mass murders." What was prophesied, for example, here in Oklahoma, when we passed concealed-carry, was heretofore peaceable citizens settling arguments over parking spaces with gunfights. We were assured that the citizenry would be shooting each other up in the streets at record rates. It never happened. No concealed carry permit holder in Oklahoma has ever been implicated in such a shooting. Likewise, when we passed open carry, we were told that macho ego-driven men would be gunning each other down over giving each other dirty looks. That never happened, either. Perhaps you don't see a difference between nutcases gunning down defenseless victims--they never choose places where someone might shoot back, of course--and normal citizens resorting to gunplay because they haven't had their coffee, but it seems like there's a difference to me. Thank God for Oklahoma--and Georgia.
You can't explain these things to the English Dan :D

fiddlestix
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by fiddlestix » Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:30 am

hogleg wrote:The problems are in the hearts of men, and that goes back to Cain. The problem has never been the implements man uses. I carry a firearm nearly daily, and I have yet to commit any acts of violence. And guess what? My firearms have yet to commit any acts felonious acts on their own. Preventing me from carrying solves absolutely nothing.
+1000

I seriously doubt that anyone who was bent on committing a violent crime has ever once been dissuaded because they checked their local, state or federal laws to see if their intended use of their preferred weapon was kosher. If you are determined enough to hurt people, you will hurt people regardless of any law. Gun, knife, hammer, fist, rice cooker, passenger jet... There's lots of options. You won't ever legislate away violence.

SteveH

Post by SteveH » Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:53 am

DAN wrote:By "ongoing wild-west bloodbaths" I do not mean "lunatic-perpetrated mass murders." What was prophesied, for example, here in Oklahoma, when we passed concealed-carry, was heretofore peaceable citizens settling arguments over parking spaces with gunfights. We were assured that the citizenry would be shooting each other up in the streets at record rates. It never happened. No concealed carry permit holder in Oklahoma has ever been implicated in such a shooting. Likewise, when we passed open carry, we were told that macho ego-driven men would be gunning each other down over giving each other dirty looks. That never happened, either. Perhaps you don't see a difference between nutcases gunning down defenseless victims--they never choose places where someone might shoot back, of course--and normal citizens resorting to gunplay because they haven't had their coffee, but it seems like there's a difference to me. Thank God for Oklahoma--and Georgia.
The fact remains that in the UK there have been two such incidents that I can remember in my 62-year lifetime, while in the USA you have one every few years.

DAN
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by DAN » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:17 am

SteveH wrote:
The fact remains that in the UK there have been two such incidents that I can remember in my 62-year lifetime, while in the USA you have one every few years.
So, us it thst England has fewer people overall, fewer lunatics, or fewer guns? :)

fiddlestix
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by fiddlestix » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:30 am

DAN wrote:
SteveH wrote:
So, us it thst England has fewer people overall, fewer lunatics, or fewer guns? :)
How does the UK's knife violence stats stack up against the US knife violence stats? How do they stack up against the US gun violence stats for that matter? If I'm not mistaken (and that is definitely a possibility) one is almost twice as likely to be a victim of knife violence in the UK as opposed to a victim of gun violence in the US...

Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway

Post by Del » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:08 am

dasmokeryaget wrote:
You can't explain these things to the English Dan :D
The Brits have a horror of guns, but they have grown accustomed to bombs.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you." - Eph 4