COLEMAN!

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
JudgeRusty
Didn't even get to wear his hat
Didn't even get to wear his hat

COLEMAN!

Post by JudgeRusty » Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:55 am

My family has owned and used Coleman products since before I was born.

In fall of 2009, I bought a new two burner propane Coleman stove for a camping trip. I have used this stove only a few times and have always kept it in its original packaging and it appears in new condition.

For our recent camping/trout fishing trip, I carried this stove (after a home inspection and test along with all of my other equipment). On the first evening of our trip, we fired up this stove and noticed that the knob valve control was hard to turn. When we finished cooking, we were unable to turn the valve to turn it off and had to unscrew the propane tank fearing that the stove might backfire and give us a problem.

Fortunately, I had also packed my 1966 three burner duel fuel stove which served us well for the remainder of the trip.

After we got home, I got around to inspecting the stove more closely and determined that while the plastic knobs were stripped, I could not tell if this was due to the valves not operating or not. So I called Coleman.

The customer service rep was thorough and friendly as we discussed my problems. I asked if he thought I needed to replace just the knobs or the valves also. He said that the stove shouldn't have put me in a position to not be able to turn it off and that was unacceptable. He had me email a picture of the stove with a ticket number written above the logo. When he received that email, he caused a new three burner propane stove to be shipped to me with no cost.

I received the new stove from the UPS man yesterday. I am anxious for an opportunity to give it a try. Interestingly, there was no paperwork in the package giving instructions for me to return the damaged stove. I will wait to see if they contact me with further instructions.

I have a short list of companies that provide great customer service. I want you all to know that Coleman is among the leaders.
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal

John-Boy
I'm a lover and I'm a sinner

Post by John-Boy » Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:04 am

Nice.

Another backup for the Coleman:
Praying - coco
Sometimes memes can be helpful as well as humorous - Jocose
Yer mom is kindhearted and well respected in her community - JMG

tuttle
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by tuttle » Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:05 am

I have no complaints about Coleman products. Tent, stove, lighters, etc. All good. Actually all great. I even carry a Camper Utensil Set to work with me everyday because I can never find a fork and spoon if I need one for lunch (I bring mine to work). I love it.
"You're my kind of stupid" -Mal Reynolds

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

The Reformation Drinking Song

FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.
Really, really likes watching kids fish.

Post by FredS » Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:16 am

Coleman set up an outlet shop in a vacant store front here for a couple of weeks this spring. I bought all sorts of odds-and-ends supplies for overnight camping trips. I wouldn't outfit an expedition up Everest from Coleman, but their stuff is just right for my purposes.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed

Post by Bloodhound » Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:17 am

I am a Coleman fan as well...Tent, Lanterns, Coolers, Grill, Stove, Flashlights....

I wish more of their items were made in the USA. But they have always been a solid company with great customer service.
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

bilder
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by bilder » Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:54 am

Lots of people bash Coleman and buy more expensive equipment thinking they are getting something better.

For most applications, Coleman is more than enough to make your camping trip enjoyable. I have dealt with their customer service a couple time as well and have had no complaints.

Kelty is another outdoor company with great customer service. I had a tent that broke a pole and damaged the rainfly and they replaced both parts no questions asked. Did not ask for the damaged ones back, just sent the replacement.
"Welcome. Please post things that make no sense." -Onyx

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:48 am

I grew up with Coleman white gas lanterns & stoves. I recollect the glorious hiss of those generators and the magnificence of those fragile mantles.
My Dad's Coleman gear from the 1930s-40's still works!
I got on the propane band wagon with a new stove & lantern about 20 years ago. It's sure convenient but I still feel guilty about those empty green canisters. My propane stove has been pressed into bullet casting duty so I won't use it for camping any more---smelting wheel weights sure makes a toxic mess but after a tumble out of a pickup truck bed it was looking pretty bad anyway. I'm mulling over rebuilding the generators on my Dad's gear(on the side of caution) or getting a new Coleman propane stove repacement.
Coleman makes some great stuff! The POC they import from the PRC isn't true Coleman, IMHO.
Last edited by Hovannes on Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado

Post by Thunktank » Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:31 pm

I use a Coleman multifuel stove and lantern. I haven't needed the customer service yet. At the rate things are going they will outlive me!

I'm kind of wanting to replace them though. I want a propane stove with more BTUs and a more compact solar powered led lantern.

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:16 pm

colton
Spiffy Enough
Spiffy Enough

Post by colton » Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:36 pm

I'm always surprised by how well my old Coleman stuff works. I have a lantern and dual-burner stove that are both more than 70 years old, and aside from a thorough cleaning, all I had to do was replace the fuel caps and generators. Both were purchased off Craig's List for peanuts.

Like Thunk, I'm thinking I may switch over to a more powerful propane unit (I'll never give up a fuel-powered lantern, though), but I'll probably squirrel my Coleman stove away for the zombie apocalypse or my future children's involvement in Scouts or whatever, whichever comes first.

hogleg
Chief Strong Wind (Pops to TLO)

Post by hogleg » Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:31 am

Problem with Coleman today is that too much (most) of their products are made in communist China. I won't buy it any of their new stuff.
Aye. Happiness has been achieved. I can now love you all because I'll never know what you actually think. --- Hugodrax, 16 July 2016

Irish-Dane
I'm a pro at tobacco canning
I'm a pro at tobacco canning

Post by Irish-Dane » Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:44 am

During the big giveaway of my stuff in 2012, I gave one friend my 1960's Coleman two-burner stove and another friend my 2000-ish Coleman two-burner stove. I just saw the second friend a couple weekends ago, and he's now living on a sailboat off Florida somewhere. He informed me he uses that stove almost every day for his meals onboard.
It's not available because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body. --Colton

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:32 am

hogleg wrote:Problem with Coleman today is that too much (most) of their products are made in communist China. I won't buy it any of their new stuff.
IIRC, the propane stuff is PRC, just like your Aladdin thermos bottle. White gas stuff is, I think, built elsewhere(US? Canada?)

hogleg

Post by hogleg » Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:38 pm

Hovannes wrote:
hogleg wrote:Problem with Coleman today is that too much (most) of their products are made in communist China. I won't buy it any of their new stuff.
IIRC, the propane stuff is PRC, just like your Aladdin thermos bottle. White gas stuff is, I think, built elsewhere(US? Canada?)
Gotta watch out for the deceptive labeling "Made in the USA of US and foreign components". Means assembled in the USA and used to hide the true origin. When most Coleman products are Chinese made, and Coleman's offshore suppliers are Chinese, where would you bet those "foriegn components" come from?

My new made in China thermos didn't make it through even two uses before I ditched it. Made coffee taste funny. First time I thought it was the coffee. Second time I realized it was the thermos after the first sip. Likely an interior coating. Last time I'll ever listen to my wife when I insist on no Chinese products. I'll never recommend anyone get a new Stanley/Aladdin. I'll recommend they do without a Thermos if that's their only option.

I'll buy a Japanese Nissan thermos in the fall.
Aye. Happiness has been achieved. I can now love you all because I'll never know what you actually think. --- Hugodrax, 16 July 2016

Pepik
Working as Intended

Re: COLEMAN!

Post by Pepik » Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:40 pm

My Sister-in-Law's Step-Father passed away last year, unfortunately. Gave me an opportunity to donate to them a decent chunk and acquire some vintage Coleman (and not-so-Coleman) Camping "appliances" for a fair price considering the eras these items came from and the working condition they're in:

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

Rgrds,
Joe

"I'm an alarmingly happy and optimistic person" - A_Morley
"I drank what?" - Socrates

UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Post by UncleBob » Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:56 am

I own an old 426D Stove. I should drag it out and clean it up.
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:29 pm

I have to say Coleman tents don't impress me much.

John-Boy

Post by John-Boy » Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:23 am

I have an '88 Coleman popup. It's been nice.
Praying - coco

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:06 am

John-Boy wrote:I have an '88 Coleman popup. It's been nice.
Is that the tent trailer?

John-Boy

Post by John-Boy » Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:04 am

Hovannes wrote:
John-Boy wrote:I have an '88 Coleman popup. It's been nice.
Is that the tent trailer?
Yep
Praying - coco