Confessions

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking

Re: Confessions

Post by sweetandsour » Mon May 18, 2015 10:29 pm

Pepik wrote:I sometimes replay that famous line by Otto West of the movie A Fish Called Wanda, as played by Kevin Kline, whilst driving behind those who have reprehensible driving skills.
Didn't see that one. Must have been a good line, though.
As thus we sat in darkness
Each one busy with his prayers,
"We are lost!" the captain shouted,
As he staggered down the stairs.

O love the Lord, all ye His saints: for the Lord preserveth the faithful. Psalm 31:23

gravel
Now it's a mess. Uniquely so.
Now it's a mess. Uniquely so.

Post by gravel » Mon May 18, 2015 10:36 pm

sweetandsour wrote:
Pepik wrote:I sometimes replay that famous line by Otto West of the movie A Fish Called Wanda, as played by Kevin Kline, whilst driving behind those who have reprehensible driving skills.
Didn't see that one. Must have been a good line, though.
My favorite line is "are you thinking or are you mid-stutter?"

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Sat Jun 06, 2015 8:04 am

So, yesterday we're fishing a local hotspot along the Sabine ship channel ... lots of boats; I counted 35 including ours at one point, congested around one particular reef.

Near us, there's a guy and a woman, presumably his wife. She's catching keepers, and he's catching under-sized throw-backs, (spotted weakfish, known locally as speckled trout, or just "specks"). Long story short, he's obviously not Mr personality. But when he lit up a pipe while fishing, I couldn't resist when our boats got closer together as we were changing locations, and I asked what tobac he was smoking. "My own personal blend that I blend myself", was his reply. He didn't say, eg, "1q mixed with cherry", or "such-and-such with a touch of perique", etc. Heck, he could have just said "PA", and been done with it. My immediate reply to him was "well, it has a horrid room note". I was ignored. (But his wife waved and nodded to me in agreement.)

O love the Lord, all ye His saints: for the Lord preserveth the faithful. Psalm 31:23

Rusty
Come and see the violence inherent in the system!

Post by Rusty » Sat Jun 06, 2015 8:33 am

sweetandsour wrote:So, yesterday we're fishing a local hotspot along the Sabine ship channel ... lots of boats; I counted 35 including ours at one point, congested around one particular reef.

Near us, there's a guy and a woman, presumably his wife. She's catching keepers, and he's catching under-sized throw-backs, (spotted weakfish, known locally as speckled trout, or just "specks"). Long story short, he's obviously not Mr personality. But when he lit up a pipe while fishing, I couldn't resist when our boats got closer together as we were changing locations, and I asked what tobac he was smoking. "My own personal blend that I blend myself", was his reply. He didn't say, eg, "1q mixed with cherry", or "such-and-such with a touch of perique", etc. Heck, he could have just said "PA", and been done with it. My immediate reply to him was "well, it has a horrid room note". I was ignored. (But his wife waved and nodded to me in agreement.)
OK so from the room note you should be able to speculate about the constituents.
Honestly, I think there is probably not another person within 100 miles that would even understand or get anything meaningful when I say I'm smoking Brighton with 1/3 Kingsbridge and a hit of Perique. Maybe it's even 1000 miles - does it mean anything to you? The number that would even ask what I'm smoking is by itself so tiny so that I would immed. ask if they smoke a pipe. In Canada that's 1/2 of one percent of the population. But I still wouldn't expect them to get anything out of a blend recipe so I too would say it's just a bit of DIY Va blending. DIY or hybrid blends were much more common in the past. Very few here ever post that they're smoking a DIY blend.

But I think you were just being friendly. And he wasn't. That happens.

I was once asked "what do you smoke in that thing?" by a cig smoker. I answered that it's a Virginia. He replied - "what's a Virginia?". All name brand Canadian cigarettes are Virginia tobacco and he was smoking Du Mauriers which are Virginia. Most people know absolutely nothing about the tobaccos whether they smoke or not. An ardent anti-tobacco activist is more likely to know what a Virginia tobacco is. And if they appeared at all knowledgeable I would immed. suspect that I'm talking to an anti.

The other day I phoned the bank. And they try to verify that I am who I say I am by asking a bunch of questions. After they were done I asked them for their international bank number and the indefinite integral of Ln x. The guy laughed and couldn't answer either. I suggested that he ask the entire call center to see anybody could pass my test. Moral: Never ask Rusty skill testing questions to see if it's Rusty.
"I am not the orthodox light-quantizer for whom you take me." Einstein reassurance to Lorentz, Jan. 1911

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Sat Jun 06, 2015 9:13 am

Rusty wrote:
sweetandsour wrote:So, yesterday we're fishing a local hotspot along the Sabine ship channel ... lots of boats; I counted 35 including ours at one point, congested around one particular reef.

Lets also be honest. The poor old boy was catching boots and tin cans while his wife was reeling in beauties. Had he told you what he was smoking, the conversation would have continued and you would have complimented his wife on her superior abilities. Under the circs, you were lucky to be acknowledged!

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Sat Jun 06, 2015 12:40 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Rusty wrote:

Lets also be honest. The poor old boy was catching boots and tin cans while his wife was reeling in beauties. Had he told you what he was smoking, the conversation would have continued and you would have complimented his wife on her superior abilities. Under the circs, you were lucky to be acknowledged!
This sort of observation (yours) is not within the realm of relevant confession for any Christian. However, you could now be contrite and confess that the nature of the comment is beyond the pale. Would you like to do that?

With which denomination do you associate?

Oh, and one of you should suggest that Morley to post here with some contrition for identifying (that's the word) Hovannes as "Don Knotts with brain-damage".
Last edited by Rusty on Sat Jun 06, 2015 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I am not the orthodox light-quantizer for whom you take me." Einstein reassurance to Lorentz, Jan. 1911

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Sat Jun 06, 2015 12:54 pm

Rusty wrote:
The one that invented the concept of the confessional, Rusty. And I've been in bad luck fisherman's shoes: I once took my wife to the horse races to show her how to bet the ponies. She ignored me, bet the pretty ones and anything with "cat" in the name and won two trifectas. I wasn't happy for her.

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Sat Jun 06, 2015 1:12 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Rusty wrote:
The one that invented the concept of the confessional, Rusty. And I've been in bad luck fisherman's shoes: I once took my wife to the horse races to show her how to bet the ponies. She ignored me, bet the pretty ones and anything with "cat" in the name and won two trifectas. I wasn't happy for her.
Ah Catholic. When there is some wisdom or maybe even science it's really tough to stand by and be happy for a beginner, who hasn't a clue, but all the friction obscures the brilliance of the science/wisdom you're trying to impart and instead their neophyte choices appear like bulls-eyes. There is justice & even mocking for those who think they understand.

OldWorldSwine
rootle round the ear 'ole
rootle round the ear 'ole

Post by OldWorldSwine » Sat Jun 06, 2015 2:25 pm

I've grown so accustomed to wearing buttoned shirts, ties and slacks for work that I've started to feel a little awkward in jeans and a t-shirt.

My weekend look is to roll up my sleeves and loosen my tie...
"There's what's right and there's what's right and never the twain shall meet."

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Sun Jun 07, 2015 7:07 am

The same fishing trip as my previous post ... one of the boats' inhabitants included a slim-figured young lady wearing a bikini. I was trying to stay focused on my fishing, as was everyone else in our boat. But when the "bikini boat" weighed anchor and drifted off to another spot further back in the cove, my oldest grandson (16 y.o.) suggested we may want to follow. I said "no" ... but then thought to myself, "unless she sheds the top".

JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:32 am

sweetandsour wrote:The same fishing trip as my previous post ... one of the boats' inhabitants included a slim-figured young lady wearing a bikini. I was trying to stay focused on my fishing, as was everyone else in our boat. But when the "bikini boat" weighed anchor and drifted off to another spot further back in the cove, my oldest grandson (16 y.o.) suggested we may want to follow. I said "no" ... but then thought to myself, "unless she sheds the top".
We were hanging-out near the dam on Conroe once when a ski boat dropped anchor close to us. "What huge flag pole", I thought. Then the music cranked up and scanty clad gal started pole dancing. I don't think my grandsons have ever been happier to be on the lake.

Roadmaster
Ornery one-eyed tick farming weiner dog
Ornery one-eyed tick farming weiner dog

Post by Roadmaster » Sun Jun 07, 2015 1:59 pm

OldWorldSwine wrote:I've grown so accustomed to wearing buttoned shirts, ties and slacks for work that I've started to feel a little awkward in jeans and a t-shirt.

You may be channeling Ralph Nader and don't know it.

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Sun Jun 07, 2015 3:54 pm

Roadmaster wrote:
OldWorldSwine wrote:I've grown so accustomed to wearing buttoned shirts, ties and slacks for work that I've started to feel a little awkward in jeans and a t-shirt.

You may be channeling Ralph Nader and don't know it.
Don't encourage this. How does he paint in work-wear? This is craziness. Ditch those work duds and get that brush in the paint....

OWS should create a tantalizing blog about the ideas that influence what to paint. Big readership.

DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.

Post by DepartedLight » Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:55 pm

in a orange one like
with some frozen
out leaning on your truck with pups lying nearby is really nowhere as crappy as it might appear at first blush.

God forgive me.
DL Jake

All my posts should be viewed from a position of, this guy is nuts.

I missed throwing up in 2016. » tuttle

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Wed Jun 10, 2015 5:25 am

DepartedLight wrote:Image

Oh, the humanity ...

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Wed Jun 10, 2015 6:15 am

Brothers, pray for me. I am having unholy lusts.

The Glock G43 looks like a pretty nice pistol.
"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)
"No more signatures that quote other CPS members." - Thunk

Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Cleon » Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:19 am

I spent 4 hours at IKEA on Saturday.
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

Irish-Dane
I'm a pro at tobacco canning
I'm a pro at tobacco canning

Post by Irish-Dane » Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:35 am

I got an overdraft fee on Tuesday.

I forgot about two school-loan auto-pays the missus had set up. I'm smart enough to keep funds and backup funds lined up, but I must have had a brain fart last weekend as I organized the bills for the month.
It's not available because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body. --Colton

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:09 pm

A moment in time, in the cardiologists' lobby today ...
Across from me sat a guy with diamond studs in his ear, and high soprano, feminine voice, talking on his phone. Behind him was a woman with very short hair and masculine voice deeper than mine. An east-Texas-hillbilly-looking woman wearing a Finding Bigfoot t-shirt was picking hairs off her shoulder and throwing them on the floor. A big guy, at least 6-5 and 300 lbs perhaps, and his wife are both wearing Jesus Loves You t-shirts; and he's playing on his phone making kids'-games sounds, especially water dripping noises. I thought water torture had been banned, but apparently not here.

In fact, most of the group, including elderly ladies in the room were playing on their phones and making the water-torture sounds. All of this while Pat Robertson is on the lobby TV, talking about a guy whose mom spiked his bottle with acid when he was a baby. I was reading about hell in CS Lewis' Great Divorce, thinking appropriate thoughts, but finally put the book down and determined to ask everyone to stop with the phones, beginning with the big guy.

Suddenly the big guy stood up and spoke to all in the room (~12-15 people) ... "does anyone in here need prayer?" "Perhaps there's an unspoken request". No one replied, so he continued, "I feel like someone in here needs prayer". We ARE in a cardiologist office, after-all, I'm thinking; but lady across the room says "I'll stand with you in agreement", so we all stand, and the big guy says for everyone to hold hands while he voices a prayer. I took my wife's hand with my right, and removed my hat and held it with my left. It's as good a reason as any, not to hold hands with the guy to my left, I thought. Everyone said amen, and sat back down.

I regreted my earlier aggravation; but at least the phone noise stopped. God works in strange ways, I'm thinking.

Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado

Post by Thunktank » Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:16 pm

I just bought an Arkansas wet stone set at the lumber yard. I like to sharpen blades. It's therapeutic.