Confessions

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Skip
Everything in Moderatoration

Re: Confessions

Post by Skip » Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:28 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:15 pm
ReverendThom wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:30 pm
Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
Hidden Content
Hidden Content
2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 Winner of the CPS Award: "Most Likely to be Found Without Pants at Any Given Moment"

"No man is peer to Skip, peasant." -A_Morley

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:40 pm

What the hell are you talking about? Even a Novus Ordo Mass is about an hour. Better listen to the readings and the Gospel or there's no point in going.

As for a Tridentine High Mass, budget about two hours if it isn't a First Class Feast.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

Skip

Post by Skip » Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:43 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:40 pm
What the hell are you talking about? Even a Novus Ordo Mass is about an hour. Better listen to the readings and the Gospel or there's no point in going.

As for a Tridentine High Mass, budget about two hours if it isn't a First Class Feast.
You even read, bro? I said "homily."
2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 Winner of the CPS Award: "Most Likely to be Found Without Pants at Any Given Moment"

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:51 pm

Skip wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:43 pm
hugodrax wrote:

Yeah, I read. Thing is, if you don't listen to the old testament and the epistle, and hear the psalm, and listen to the gospel, then the relatively short homily tying them together is relatively pointless.

Skip

Post by Skip » Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:00 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:51 pm
Skip wrote:
hugodrax wrote:

Yeah, I read. Thing is, if you don't listen to the old testament and the epistle, and hear the psalm, and listen to the gospel, then the relatively short homily tying them together is relatively pointless.
See, now we're talking about basic differences between "mass" and "service." The "Protestant" view is that the message - or homily - is the most important part of the service and runs about forty-five minutes (thirty to sixty in my experience). The structures of the services are so completely different as to be inconceivable unless one enters the conversation with a completely open mind. (Del has struggled mightily here... :twisted: )

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:20 pm

Skip wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:00 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Skip wrote:
hugodrax wrote:

See, now we're talking about basic differences between "mass" and "service." The "Protestant" view is that the message - or homily - is the most important part of the service and runs about forty-five minutes (thirty to sixty in my experience). The structures of the services are so completely different as to be inconceivable unless one enters the conversation with a completely open mind. (Del has struggled mightily here... :twisted: )
I'm game. I freely admit to having a very limited personal experience. I've been to countless Masses, but outside of that I've attended precisely one each of a Lutheran and Anglican service. To be frank, neither of these differed very much from what I was used to in the Catholic experience.

I am slowly cottoning on to the fact that there is a vast diaspora of the Protestant experience. Even the term I would be most comfortable with, "liturgy", is probably inapplicable. There don't even seem to be "Seasons" in the sense I'd use: no Pentecost, Advent, Lent, Ordinary Time, etc.

Help me out. Talk down to me, if necessary. What is the structure of your service, Skip? Explain as if to a babe in arms, because I really don't understand.

Skip

Post by Skip » Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:31 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:20 pm
Skip wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
Skip wrote:
hugodrax wrote:

I'm game. I freely admit to having a very limited personal experience. I've been to countless Masses, but outside of that I've attended precisely one each of a Lutheran and Anglican service. To be frank, neither of these differed very much from what I was used to in the Catholic experience.

I am slowly cottoning on to the fact that there is a vast diaspora of the Protestant experience. Even the term I would be most comfortable with, "liturgy", is probably inapplicable. There don't even seem to be "Seasons" in the sense I'd use: no Pentecost, Advent, Lent, Ordinary Time, etc.

Help me out. Talk down to me, if necessary. What is the structure of your service, Skip? Explain as if to a babe in arms, because I really don't understand.
I'm on my iPad now (sleepy time), but I'll do exactly that tomorrow. Though I've only attended a couple masses, I used to actively listen to daily mass from St. Patrick's on my drive into work, so I'm roughly familiar with the liturgy. I would expect Lutheran and Anglican services to be very similar. Protestant services are a totally different beast. Stay tuned, bro...

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:57 pm

Thanks, sir. I'm looking forward to it.

mont974x4
It's gotten old now
It's gotten old now

Confessions

Post by mont974x4 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:58 pm

Skip wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
Skip wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
Skip wrote:
hugodrax wrote:

I'm on my iPad now (sleepy time), but I'll do exactly that tomorrow. Though I've only attended a couple masses, I used to actively listen to daily mass from St. Patrick's on my drive into work, so I'm roughly familiar with the liturgy. I would expect Lutheran and Anglican services to be very similar. Protestant services are a totally different beast. Stay tuned, bro...
Let me help, if I may:

A typical order of service in most churches I have bee in looks like this:

Opening song to help get people in the pews
Announcements
Prayer led by worship leader/pastor
4-5 songs
Prayer
Tithes/offering
Sermon (20-30 minutes seems to be normal but some go as long as 40-45)
Prayer
Closing song and prayer.

Typically 60 minutes total.

The sermon itself depends on the style and conviction of the preacher. I would go 20-25 minutes. I would open with a statement giving the general idea I wanted to present. Then a verse by verse exposition of the passage. Then a recap of key points. I would work through books of the Bible this way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It sounded better when the voices in my head were saying it.

Ire attracter-at-large and general misanthrope.

Skip

Post by Skip » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:30 am

mont974x4 wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:58 pm
Skip wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
Skip wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
Skip wrote:
hugodrax wrote:

Let me help, if I may:

A typical order of service in most churches I have bee in looks like this:

Opening song to help get people in the pews
Announcements
Prayer led by worship leader/pastor
4-5 songs
Prayer
Tithes/offering
Sermon (20-30 minutes seems to be normal but some go as long as 40-45)
Prayer
Closing song and prayer.

Typically 60 minutes total.

The sermon itself depends on the style and conviction of the preacher. I would go 20-25 minutes. I would open with a statement giving the general idea I wanted to present. Then a verse by verse exposition of the passage. Then a recap of key points. I would work through books of the Bible this way.

Yeah, I'm gonna start a new thread...

ReverendThom
A Mari Usque Ad Mare
A Mari Usque Ad Mare

Post by ReverendThom » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:07 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:15 pm
ReverendThom wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:30 pm
Hidden Content
Hidden Content
Hidden Content
“I believe that many who find that "nothing happens" when they sit down, or kneel down, to a book of devotion, would find that the heart sings unbidden while they are working their way through a tough bit of theology with a pipe in their teeth and a pencil in their hand.”

― C.S. Lewis, On the Incarnation

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:47 pm

Hidden Content

Fainn
I've attained the highest rank so far

Post by Fainn » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:24 pm

I have never broken a pipe, but I once dropped a meerschaum on the floor. It was a smooth pipe so it was easy to wet and sand out. However, I ended up tossing it a few years later because of some bad memories.
2016 Winner, Least Likely to Correctly use a Pipe Sock Image

Fainn

Post by Fainn » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:43 pm

I almost cried when the dr. mentioned increased risk of down syndrome for women Mary's age.
2016 Winner, Least Likely to Correctly use a Pipe Sock Image

sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by sweetandsour » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:28 am

Our son in law told my wife and I last night that he wants their family to become Catholic. We're life-long Baptists, so that's a pretty big bite to chew on.
As long as they are all Christians, with a personal relationship with Christ, I'm thinking.
But still, im still not totally comfortable with it. There's much more, of course. It could be worse.
As thus we sat in darkness
Each one busy with his prayers,
"We are lost!" the captain shouted,
As he staggered down the stairs.

O love the Lord, all ye His saints: for the Lord preserveth the faithful. Psalm 31:23

Jocose
a large Chinese man named Wu

Post by Jocose » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:45 am

I recently spent 3 days and 2 nights alone with my girlfriend. There were no shenanigans. I felt bad after she told me that I'm giving her a complex.

We had a long talk about why I have certain convictions. I was happy to hear some honest questions and happy to answer honestly.

She still loves me and I love her.
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

I've crossed the Bosphorus.

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:09 pm

Ever since Coco posted that video in the Pimple Pleasures thread I've been examining my nose closely every day for any sign of blackheads.
As thus we sat in darkness
Each one busy with his prayers,
"We are lost!" the captain shouted,
As he staggered down the stairs.

O love the Lord, all ye His saints: for the Lord preserveth the faithful. Psalm 31:23

mont974x4
It's gotten old now
It's gotten old now

Post by mont974x4 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:19 am

This morning I almost put a sock on the foot that I already put a sock on, which makes me think I should go back to bed.

It sounded better when the voices in my head were saying it.

Ire attracter-at-large and general misanthrope.

Jocose

Post by Jocose » Thu May 11, 2017 12:57 am

Jocose wrote:
Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:45 am
I recently spent 3 days and 2 nights alone with my girlfriend. There were no shenanigans. I felt bad after she told me that I'm giving her a complex.

We had a long talk about why I have certain convictions. I was happy to hear some honest questions and happy to answer honestly.

So we've been dating for nearly 2 months now, still no shenanigans have occurred. We still love each other and look forward to the day we may tie the knot.
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

I've crossed the Bosphorus.

Rusty
Come and see the violence inherent in the system!
Come and see the violence inherent in the system!

Post by Rusty » Thu May 11, 2017 10:17 am

Jocose wrote:
Thu May 11, 2017 12:57 am
Jocose wrote:
Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:45 am

So we've been dating for nearly 2 months now, still no shenanigans have occurred. We still love each other and look forward to the day we may tie the knot.
What are shenanigans - maybe hogging the popcorn?
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light