CPS Running Club

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
John-Boy
I'm a lover and I'm a sinner

Re: CPS Running Club

Post by John-Boy » Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:17 pm

Any thoughts on how to proceed? I'm thinking we post our weekly goals - then we can offer encouragement throughout the week. Posting longer goals or a plan you're working through would be great too.
Praying - coco
Sometimes memes can be helpful as well as humorous - Jocose
Yer mom is kindhearted and well respected in her community - JMG

John-Boy

Post by John-Boy » Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:20 pm

jam4ar wrote:I really dread the time change this weekend, getting dark at 6:00 doesn't really bode well for me getting a run in after work. Not that I really mind running in the dark..
I like runs in the dark around the neighborhood. Actually that 1/2 or twilight after sunset and before dark is my favorite time to run. Anything more than 4 miles or so and I'm outside the neighborhood - it can get a bit sketchy running on those roads in the dark. If I've got a headlamp I feel better... easier to shine something in oncoming drivers' eyes... but I don't usually bring a headlamp.
Praying - coco

Skip
Everything in Moderatoration

Post by Skip » Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:36 pm

John-Boy wrote:
Skip wrote:
Skip wrote:
Thunktank wrote:
Skip wrote:This would be a good thing. I put over a thousand on the bike this summer and the results are less than expected.
How are training on a bike? I do quite well with mine, but I ride with purpose in mind.

As to running. Maybe. I tend to sustain injuries with long distance running.
Typed a lot of words then realized they were just a lot of words. I'll be back in a half hour or maybe more and rethink my response...
Two miles, not admitting to the time but it was faster than walking.

I can go out on the bike and put in double-digits worth of miles at a 12+ mph clip but can't keep up a slow running pace for more than a couple of minutes.
Where do you feel it? Lungs or legs? Cycling and running are different muscles. I bet your mileage will ramp up quicker than you might think because of your cycling training.
Interesting observation. I've always considered cycling "easier" because I can go like a bat out of hell for a while, then ease up a bit and still maintain a decent pace. If you stop moving your legs while running, you simply stop. Today, it wasn't one part of my body that said stop, it was like everyone - ankles, lungs, knees - all said "dude, you're going to do intervals whether your want to or not, so just do it before we hurt you." But my heart didn't feel like it was going to come out of my chest - which is what happened before I started all the cycling, so here's hoping you're right.

And my initial goal is to get down into double-digit kilograms, and I only have three or four to go...
2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 Winner of the CPS Award: "Most Likely to be Found Without Pants at Any Given Moment"

"No man is peer to Skip, peasant." -A_Morley

Skip

Post by Skip » Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:43 pm

And as far as time to run, I'm the spoiled one here. I run when I want to run. There are a couple miles of bike paths a quarter of a mile away, so I've even been known to go cycling at 2am with no lights under a full moon.
2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 Winner of the CPS Award: "Most Likely to be Found Without Pants at Any Given Moment"

Skip

Post by Skip » Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:10 pm

Definitely need motivation from this place - tried FB and more than one suggested motivation came from being chased by wild animals. Others suggested signing up for races. Right now I'm not interested in signing up for a race - unless it's maybe one of the WDW series. THAT could be fun...

jam4ar
Elder
Elder

Post by jam4ar » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:30 pm

Skip wrote:And as far as time to run, I'm the spoiled one here. I run when I want to run. There are a couple miles of bike paths a quarter of a mile away, so I've even been known to go cycling at 2am with no lights under a full moon.
That actually sounds awesome. My after dark issues mostly stem from there only being about 1 mile of sidewalks here... but I have to run about half a mile to get to them. It didn't bother me a few years ago, but now I'm just sort of paranoid about running on the roads in the dark.
Skip wrote:Definitely need motivation from this place - tried FB and more than one suggested motivation came from being chased by wild animals. Others suggested signing up for races. Right now I'm not interested in signing up for a race - unless it's maybe one of the WDW series. THAT could be fun...
So, what are your short term goals?

John-Boy

Post by John-Boy » Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:07 am

Skip wrote:Definitely need motivation from this place - tried FB and more than one suggested motivation came from being chased by wild animals. Others suggested signing up for races. Right now I'm not interested in signing up for a race - unless it's maybe one of the WDW series. THAT could be fun...
I like races a lot... but for motivation they end up being an albatross around my neck that might get me out on the road - but doesn't make it fun.

A little thing that helps me is tracking and charting my progress. Playing around with excel charts on mileage, trends, etc... makes seeing progress fun. Also, I try to read and listen to running stuff... helps keep it in my head and looking forward to the next chance to get out rather than dreading it.
Praying - coco

John-Boy

Post by John-Boy » Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:07 am

I had a rest day yesterday. Planning on another 2 miler this evening.
Praying - coco

Jocose
a large Chinese man named Wu

Post by Jocose » Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:45 am

You reach the final stretch,
Ideals are just a trace,
You feel like throwing the race,
It's all so futile.

Run, on and on,
Run, on and on,
The loneliness of the long distance runner.
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

I've crossed the Bosphorus.

I'm what some CPS'ers have called "Worse than advertised"

John-Boy

Post by John-Boy » Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:05 am

Well, you can run to the end of the highway
And not find what you're looking for
No, it won't make your troubles disappear

And you can search to the end of the highway
And come back no better than before
To find yourself you've got to start right here
Praying - coco

Skip

Post by Skip » Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:03 am

I found the setting on the RunKeeper app that let me change the updates to every minute and turn OFF the distance and rate announcements. One minute running, one minute walking. I might be here for a while...

TwoXseveN
I'm the Sassy One

Post by TwoXseveN » Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:13 pm

Ran 2.5 miles today.

Just don't ask how long it took.
I'm what some CPS'ers have called, "Better than advertised".

Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado

Post by Thunktank » Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:31 pm

Ok, I'm in. I need restart slow though. I just healed from my last bit of foot pain from running. I think I figured out just the right way to stretch. Getting old sucks!

John-Boy

Post by John-Boy » Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:37 pm

Thunktank wrote:Ok, I'm in. I need restart slow though. I just healed from my last bit of foot pain from running. I think I figured out just the right way to stretch. Getting old sucks!
:chili: I'm all about starting slow... I started with a 10 week couch to 5k plan... it took me 30 weeks.
Praying - coco

John-Boy

Post by John-Boy » Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:39 pm

I did 2 tonight. It's starting to cool off here...felt good. 3rd run of the week. Woot. I may try to get one more in this week on Saturday afternoon.
Praying - coco

Jocose

Post by Jocose » Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:25 pm

John-Boy wrote:
Thunktank wrote:Ok, I'm in. I need restart slow though. I just healed from my last bit of foot pain from running. I think I figured out just the right way to stretch. Getting old sucks!
:chili: I'm all about starting slow... I started with a 10 week couch to 5k plan... it took me 30 weeks.

Whoa.. Easy does it now....
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

I've crossed the Bosphorus.

I'm what some CPS'ers have called "Worse than advertised"

Thunktank

Post by Thunktank » Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:52 pm

John-Boy wrote:
Dangnabit! I did some running again again tonight while my youngest boy did soccer practice. My right foot now hurts again. :x

I can ride bike, do the elliptical machine and hike mountains without issue. But running keeps aggravating the outer side of my right foot. I don't get it. :confused:

John-Boy

Post by John-Boy » Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:01 pm

Thunktank wrote:
John-Boy wrote:
Dangnabit! I did some running again again tonight while my youngest boy did soccer practice. My right foot now hurts again. :x

I can ride bike, do the elliptical machine and hike mountains without issue. But running keeps aggravating the outer side of my right foot. I don't get it. :confused:
Do you have good shoes?
Praying - coco

Thunktank

Post by Thunktank » Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:05 pm

John-Boy wrote:
Thunktank wrote:
John-Boy wrote:

Do you have good shoes?
Yes. And I tried a couple different pairs. It's like I have a tight tendon that gets hurt when running. When it's really bad it hurts when I walk and first thing in the morning. It was hurting for about three months. Just got better I thought.

John-Boy

Post by John-Boy » Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:18 pm

Thunktank wrote:
John-Boy wrote:
Thunktank wrote:
John-Boy wrote:

Do you have good shoes?
Yes. And I tried a couple different pairs. It's like I have a tight tendon that gets hurt when running. When it's really bad it hurts when I walk and first thing in the morning. It was hurting for about three months. Just got better I thought.
Have you been to a doc?
Praying - coco