Whiskey

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
JMG
Bearded Crusader for JUSTICE ... on a Mission
Bearded Crusader for JUSTICE ... on a Mission

Re: Whiskey

Post by JMG » Sat Sep 03, 2016 4:34 pm

Got to try Quiet Man whiskey yesterday. I really liked it. Not the most flavorful, but very smooth. Anyone else had it?

Oh, also got to try Teeling a couple weeks ago. I hated it. Tasted like rubbing alcohol.
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets."
"When you're dumb, you've got to be tough." - my dad

7formy1911
Sick of being a butthead
Sick of being a butthead

Post by 7formy1911 » Mon Sep 05, 2016 1:36 pm

UncleBob wrote:This Is What Gin Lovers Have In Common, Apparently
Researchers from Innsbruck University in Austria have found that those of us who love a G&T are more likely to have psychopathic tendencies than people who prefer sweeter drinks.

Or as they put it: “Bitter taste preferences are linked to malevolent personality traits.”

Uh oh.

To reach this conclusion, the researchers conducted two separate studies on 1,000 people.
Well this explains a lot. No wonder I like gin and tonic 8O
"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." Alexis De Tocqueville

"Speed is fine. Accuracy is final."

Rooster
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Rooster » Mon Sep 05, 2016 2:26 pm

7formy1911
Sick of being a butthead
Sick of being a butthead

Post by 7formy1911 » Mon Sep 05, 2016 4:47 pm

Stranahan's is a favorite as well. I wouldn't move back to CO but they do have some great spirits!
"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." Alexis De Tocqueville

JudgeRusty
Didn't even get to wear his hat
Didn't even get to wear his hat

Post by JudgeRusty » Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:46 pm

sampled Elmer T. Lee this evening - pretty good.

followed by Elijah Craig 12 - maybe better.
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal

Eruannu
Usher
Usher

Re: RE: Re: Whiskey

Post by Eruannu » Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:44 pm

Researchers from Innsbruck University in Austria have found that those of us who love a G&T are more likely to have psychopathic tendencies than people who prefer sweeter drinks.

Or as they put it: “Bitter taste preferences are linked to malevolent personality traits.”

Uh oh.

To reach this conclusion, the researchers conducted two separate studies on 1,000 people.
Not a large enough sample size. Have you ever put gin in fresh tomato soup and then dipped grilled cheese sandwiches in it.? So so decadent for what it is.

Sent from my VK810 4G using Tapatalk

DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.

Post by DepartedLight » Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:36 am

Sipped mostly Jack Daniel's over the long weekend.
DL Jake

All my posts should be viewed from a position of, this guy is nuts.

I missed throwing up in 2016. » tuttle

mont974x4
It's gotten old now
It's gotten old now

Post by mont974x4 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 6:01 pm

I am in Butte (pronounce beaut), MT drinking Neversweat...a whiskey distilled here. It's very good.
It sounded better when the voices in my head were saying it.

Ire attracter-at-large and general misanthrope.

JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Tue Sep 06, 2016 6:51 pm

mont974x4 wrote:I am in Butte (pronounce beaut), MT drinking Neversweat...a whiskey distilled here. It's very good.
We have several streets in our territory that involve the name Butte. It's a time honored tradition to tell new medic's and dispatchers it's pronounced booty or butt to embarrass them.

It's a real knee slapper.

Now, back to whiskey.

mont974x4
It's gotten old now
It's gotten old now

Post by mont974x4 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 6:53 pm

JimVH wrote:
mont974x4 wrote:I am in Butte (pronounce beaut), MT drinking Neversweat...a whiskey distilled here. It's very good.
We have several streets in our territory that involve the name Butte. It's a time honored tradition to tell new medic's and dispatchers it's pronounced booty or butt to embarrass them.

Now, back to whiskey.
Yes but Butte, MT was the hometown of Evel Knievel.
It sounded better when the voices in my head were saying it.

Ire attracter-at-large and general misanthrope.

JimVH

Post by JimVH » Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:03 pm

mont974x4 wrote:
JimVH wrote:

Now, back to whiskey.
Yes butte, but is pretty funny on the radio.

7formy1911
Sick of being a butthead
Sick of being a butthead

Post by 7formy1911 » Thu Sep 08, 2016 7:06 pm

JimVH wrote:
mont974x4 wrote:
JimVH wrote:

Now, back to whiskey.
Yes butte, but is pretty funny on the radio.
That sounds a lot like a trick that was played on unsuspecting rookies in our local Sheriff's department. There was a man by the name of Harry Beaver (his real name) and his vehicle was always "suspicious" so the rookie would run the plate which returned to a Mr. Harry Beaver. Hearing that over the radio was quite the knee slapper too.

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Mon Oct 17, 2016 4:20 pm

I had posted my question about cheap whiskey on it's own thread so as not to derail this one... upon further review, I shouldn't have worried. :lol:

So, Hugodrax has brought to my attention that several whiskeys have a standard bottling and then a seperate "bottled in bond" bottling. I like to think of myself of somewhat of a whiskey snob, but I have no idea what this means. Help?

Also, my latest purchase was Evan Williams white label (bottled in bond). Not the smoothest bourbon I have ever had, but it is a drinkable bourbon to be sure. Certainly is nice with a little Pirate Kake by a crackling fireplace.

(also posting here so that Goose can find the thread easier...)
Sola Deo Gloria

DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.

Post by DepartedLight » Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:45 pm

McKennas 10 yo bottled in bond

Google machine, ho!
DL Jake

All my posts should be viewed from a position of, this guy is nuts.

I missed throwing up in 2016. » tuttle

UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Post by UncleBob » Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:10 pm

"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:35 pm

Gabriel wrote:I had posted my question about cheap whiskey on it's own thread so as not to derail this one... upon further review, I shouldn't have worried. :lol:

So, Hugodrax has brought to my attention that several whiskeys have a standard bottling and then a seperate "bottled in bond" bottling. I like to think of myself of somewhat of a whiskey snob, but I have no idea what this means. Help?

Also, my latest purchase was Evan Williams white label (bottled in bond). Not the smoothest bourbon I have ever had, but it is a drinkable bourbon to be sure. Certainly is nice with a little Pirate Kake by a crackling fireplace.

(also posting here so that Goose can find the thread easier...)
Sorry, bottled in bond is a designation indicating it's been distilled in one season from one distillery, aged at least four years in bond in a federal warehouse, and bottled at 100 proof. It's almost always better than the ordinary kentucky proof bottlings.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by sweetandsour » Fri Dec 09, 2016 6:25 pm

Eruannu wrote:

Uh oh.

Not a large enough sample size. Have you ever put gin in fresh tomato soup and then dipped grilled cheese sandwiches in it.? So so decadent for what it is.

Just now saw this. Whether you're serious or not, I will try it. All I need is a grilled cheese sandwich.
As thus we sat in darkness
Each one busy with his prayers,
"We are lost!" the captain shouted,
As he staggered down the stairs.

O love the Lord, all ye His saints: for the Lord preserveth the faithful. Psalm 31:23

7formy1911
Sick of being a butthead
Sick of being a butthead

Post by 7formy1911 » Fri Dec 09, 2016 6:53 pm

Canadian Club 100% Rye Whisky. Great stuff and very smooth.

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:56 pm

sweetandsour wrote:
Eruannu wrote:

Uh oh.

Just now saw this. Whether you're serious or not, I will try it. All I need is a grilled cheese sandwich.
I wonder if the researchers at Innsbruck differentiated between London and Dutch Gins. Dutch Gin is quite a bit sweeter.

At Ft. Huachuca we mixed our G&Ts with Oso Negro, a Dutch style sweet Gin distilled in Mexico.
I infiltrated into Mexico on several missions to bring back Oso Negro for in-depth study.

I still have a bottle.
to know the future is to be held prisoner by it
Where is Charles Martel when you need him?

JimVH

Post by JimVH » Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:15 am

I got to enjoy a thorough sampling of Belle Meade Bourbon this weekend. It was smooth and rich with a quick finish that wasn't too sweet like some bourbons hit me. It was a great evening, so I need to give it a little time to make sure I'm separating the sentiment of the moment from the whiskey, but there's an excellent chance this will become my favorite Bourbon yet.