The fishing thread

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking

Re: The fishing thread

Post by sweetandsour » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:41 pm

It was a magical afternoon with two of my grandsons. There were scattered showers, with simultaneous rain and sun, and rainbows (i.e., light spectrums, not rainbow trout) all over the place. At one time there were 4 rainbows around us and on the water. I was having difficulty getting pics with my phone in the rain; I really need an outdoors camera in the worst way. I did get this one shot when we headed back to the ramp in a light rain shower, with sun still shining. If the pic can be enlarged sufficiently, there's a rainbow in the distance, in the center, to the left of the jack-up rigs, with the end of the rainbow in the water.

Besides dodging rain showers and rainbows, we were catching a few trout, flounder and small redfish, and ended up keeping one each flounder and trout. (My youngest grandson's mom actually grilled him some of the filets for a late dinner tonight.)

As thus we sat in darkness
Each one busy with his prayers,
"We are lost!" the captain shouted,
As he staggered down the stairs.

O love the Lord, all ye His saints: for the Lord preserveth the faithful. Psalm 31:23

Dlibbon
Elder
Elder

Post by Dlibbon » Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:31 am

sweetandsour wrote:It was a magical afternoon with two of my grandsons. There were scattered showers, with simultaneous rain and sun, and rainbows (i.e., light spectrums, not rainbow trout) all over the place. At one time there were 4 rainbows around us and on the water. I was having difficulty getting pics with my phone in the rain; I really need an outdoors camera in the worst way. I did get this one shot when we headed back to the ramp in a light rain shower, with sun still shining. If the pic can be enlarged sufficiently, there's a rainbow in the distance, in the center, to the left of the jack-up rigs, with the end of the rainbow in the water.

Besides dodging rain showers and rainbows, we were catching a few trout, flounder and small redfish, and ended up keeping one each flounder and trout. (My youngest grandson's mom actually grilled him some of the filets for a late dinner tonight.)

Looks great and good eating !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.

Post by FredS » Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:01 am

Nice Tim.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by durangopipe » Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:34 am

FredS wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:01 am
Nice Tim.
Yup!
The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.

J.R.R. Tolkien

Wherever we go in the world we find other men speaking the same language...dreaming the same dreams. And one of the big four - brownie, or brookie, cutthroat or rainbow - is the cause of it all.

Roderick Haig-Brown

FredS

Post by FredS » Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:50 pm

sweetandsour wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:41 pm
It was a magical afternoon with two of my grandsons. There were scattered showers, with simultaneous rain and sun, and rainbows (i.e., light spectrums, not rainbow trout) all over the place. At one time there were 4 rainbows around us and on the water. . .
Stories like this make me feel sorry (sort of) for golfers. Ever heard a golfer say he enjoyed a 'magical afternoon with two of my grandsons'?

Me neither.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:37 pm

I keep meaning to stop in for a real update, until then, here's a smallmouth caught on a maribou creation out of a small creek after work on Friday:

Sola Deo Gloria

JudgeRusty
Didn't even get to wear his hat
Didn't even get to wear his hat

Post by JudgeRusty » Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:55 pm

Gabriel wrote:
Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:37 pm
I keep meaning to stop in for a real update, until then, here's a smallmouth caught on a maribou creation out of a small creek after work on Friday:
The smallmouth continue to taunt me from their hidden lair.
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal

ReverendThom
A Mari Usque Ad Mare
A Mari Usque Ad Mare

Post by ReverendThom » Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:52 pm

My dad showed up with a gift today

*this is gonna make FredS real happy one day.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
“I believe that many who find that "nothing happens" when they sit down, or kneel down, to a book of devotion, would find that the heart sings unbidden while they are working their way through a tough bit of theology with a pipe in their teeth and a pencil in their hand.”

― C.S. Lewis, On the Incarnation

FredS

Post by FredS » Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:05 pm

I like the way your Pops thinks!

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:10 pm

Great granddad!
I think I know exactly how he feels . . .

In addition to pink fishing rods, my granddaughters got pink baseball gloves, too.
The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.

J.R.R. Tolkien

Wherever we go in the world we find other men speaking the same language...dreaming the same dreams. And one of the big four - brownie, or brookie, cutthroat or rainbow - is the cause of it all.

Roderick Haig-Brown

Dlibbon
Elder
Elder

Post by Dlibbon » Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:49 pm

The Speks are biting in the marsh. Caught this one on a weighted split tail jig.

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:22 pm

Dlibbon wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:49 pm

The Speks are biting in the marsh. Caught this one on a weighted split tail jig.

Nice! We're catching some in the tidal marshes here, also.

O love the Lord, all ye His saints: for the Lord preserveth the faithful. Psalm 31:23

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:23 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:10 pm
Great granddad!
I think I know exactly how he feels . . .

In addition to pink fishing rods, my granddaughters got pink baseball gloves, too.
Yep, and yep.

ReverendThom
A Mari Usque Ad Mare
A Mari Usque Ad Mare

Post by ReverendThom » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:03 pm

I have fished twice this summer :'(

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

“I believe that many who find that "nothing happens" when they sit down, or kneel down, to a book of devotion, would find that the heart sings unbidden while they are working their way through a tough bit of theology with a pipe in their teeth and a pencil in their hand.”

― C.S. Lewis, On the Incarnation

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:05 pm

FredS wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:50 pm
sweetandsour wrote:
It was a magical afternoon with two of my grandsons. There were scattered showers, with simultaneous rain and sun, and rainbows (i.e., light spectrums, not rainbow trout) all over the place. At one time there were 4 rainbows around us and on the water. . .
Stories like this make me feel sorry (sort of) for golfers. Ever heard a golfer say he enjoyed a 'magical afternoon with two of my grandsons'?

Me neither.
Yes, actually. Of course, it was about surf fishing, but still: I know him as a golfer.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:08 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:05 pm
FredS wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:50 pm
sweetandsour wrote:

Me neither.
Yes, actually. Of course, it was about surf fishing, but still: I know him as a golfer.
My grandson's and I play golf together too, actually, but I wouldn't call any of our golf outings magical so-far. And I really like Fred's sentiment.

We had an interesting week last week, btw. I have a few pics but not enough. I spoke of our battery issue already in Fred's electrical thread. I'll say more about that when I'm sitting comfortably at a real keyboard. wrt fish, we caught a variety, including a small jack crevale. But the highlights were my oldest grandsons 21" trout, and my youngest's 24" redfish. Summer is really going past quickly. Much too quickly.

Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed

Post by Bloodhound » Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:27 pm

I'll start by saying I am a hack on the golf course but I did take all three grand daughters to the golf course and gave them the opportunity to try it. I have had some fun times golfing or hitting balls with them. That said, I was the one helping them when each of them caught their first fish and they still talk about catching that 1st fish. They never talk about the first put they made.
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:27 pm

Bloodhound wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:27 pm
I'll start by saying I am a hack on the golf course but I did take all three grand daughters to the golf course and gave them the opportunity to try it. I have had some fun times golfing or hitting balls with them. That said, I was the one helping them when each of them caught their first fish and they still talk about catching that 1st fish. They never talk about the first put they made.

Clearly, excellent choices being made by your granddaughters.
I am proud to report that the total extent of my experience with golf has been a few rounds of miniature golf.

I don't remember who said it, but my favorite statement about golf goes something like this: The best things that can be said about golf is that it keeps a lot of people off of trout streams.

:pipe:

J.R.R. Tolkien

Roderick Haig-Brown

Bloodhound

Post by Bloodhound » Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:36 pm

:smoke:
durangopipe wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:27 pm
Bloodhound wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:27 pm

Clearly, excellent choices being made by your granddaughters.
I am proud to report that the total extent of my experience with golf has been a few rounds of miniature golf.

I don't remember who said it, but my favorite statement about golf goes something like this: The best things that can be said about golf is that it keeps a lot of people off of trout streams.

:pipe:
Scott ( aka - Thor )

Bloodhound

Post by Bloodhound » Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:52 am

Well it's GunShow weekend and I will be in Montrose for the show. I have had a table at this show for 20+ years. I am also bringing fly gear and hoping to fish some Saturday when we close for the day. Lets see, tobacco, FredS pipe, lighter and other fishing gear. I'll be on the Uncompahgre. What's better than a GunShow weekend? A Gunshow weekend and getting some fishing in too :bacon:
Scott ( aka - Thor )