The fishing thread

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Re: The fishing thread

Post by Gabriel » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:25 am

FredS wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:05 am
sweetandsour wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:59 pm
FredS wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:01 pm
FredS wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:35 am
. . . Never euro nymphed before so we'll see how it goes.
I'm sold! At least for the pocket water I fished today, this is a fantastic new way to catch fish.

cold pizza never tasted so good
Sounds exotic. If not sexy. Not the cold pizza, the euro nymphing.
Be very precise if you try to google it.

It's an adaptation of short-line, high-stick, heavy fly *nymphing method first attributed to the Czech fly fishing team. Then the French, Poles, and Spaniards each put there own twist on it so we've combined their methods in to a stew called Euro Nymphing. Murcan's are good at taking the best of other cultures and alloying them in to something that's better than the individual constituents. We aint called the 'melting pot' for nothing.

* (not for you Tim, but others who may not know) A nymph is an early, underwater life stage of various flying bugs who later come to the surface and fly away. Trout pretty much live on these underwater bugs until they (the trout) get so big they need to start cannibalizing smaller fish to maintain weight.
Sounds like jigging to me. ;)
Sola Deo Gloria

FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.
Really, really likes watching kids fish.

Post by FredS » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:39 pm

Hush you.

But it does raise an interesting question. There's a knucklehead on a FB fly tying group I belong to who swears Maine law specifies that - for fly fishing only areas - fly fishing is defined as a method that uses the weight of the line to propel an artificial lure. If so, then this short lining method, along with Tenkara would not pass muster. I've not heard of any artificial flies and lures codes that have anything to do with the fishing line, rod, or reel. It's about the part that fish may or may not try to put in their mouth.

This was after he posted a 'fly' made with a hook glued to a fake fingernail and I commented that he'd done a great job of tiptoeing to the edge of what he could fling in FFO areas. I wrote that he'd violated the intent, if not the letter, of laws written 20 or 30 years ago when nobody would have considered a fake fingernail a 'fly'. He wrote that a game warden told him it was legal, and I asked if he always let other people make his decisions about what's sporting or not.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado

Post by Thunktank » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:17 pm

Gabriel wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:25 am
FredS wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:05 am
sweetandsour wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:59 pm
FredS wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:01 pm
FredS wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:35 am
. . . Never euro nymphed before so we'll see how it goes.
I'm sold! At least for the pocket water I fished today, this is a fantastic new way to catch fish.

cold pizza never tasted so good
Sounds exotic. If not sexy. Not the cold pizza, the euro nymphing.
Be very precise if you try to google it.

It's an adaptation of short-line, high-stick, heavy fly *nymphing method first attributed to the Czech fly fishing team. Then the French, Poles, and Spaniards each put there own twist on it so we've combined their methods in to a stew called Euro Nymphing. Murcan's are good at taking the best of other cultures and alloying them in to something that's better than the individual constituents. We aint called the 'melting pot' for nothing.

* (not for you Tim, but others who may not know) A nymph is an early, underwater life stage of various flying bugs who later come to the surface and fly away. Trout pretty much live on these underwater bugs until they (the trout) get so big they need to start cannibalizing smaller fish to maintain weight.
Sounds like jigging to me. ;)
Lol!

Yesterday was the first I heard of this. I did a quick Wikipedia search and thought to myself, “Dang, I guess fly fishers are trying to capture the benefits we spin fisherman have. It’s the flip side of the spin fisherman’s fly and bubble.” But I decided not to say anything then as to avoid hurting the purists pride. :lol:

Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado

Post by Thunktank » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:27 pm

I bought my 2018 fishing license yesterday. Kids are on spring break and I plan to take them surf fishing this week. Tomorrow I will be taking them to the desert to shoot guns. My wife took them to an amusement park today.

I’ve been contemplating as to how much fishing I should try and do while I’m still a resident of California. There were a few things I wanted to do someday in this state, but never got around to it yet. Other things simply won’t be available in Texas/Oklahoma where I’m going. Then I have all this conventional salt water gear that seems popular only in California and Baja Mexico. Should I start selling it? Or should I get a charter just a few more times first? The grass is green everywhere, just a different kind of green I suppose.

CodeMonkey
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by CodeMonkey » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:49 pm

“Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how did you enjoy the play” – Newspaper reporter.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" - Homer Simpson