The fishing thread

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Post Reply
User avatar
FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.
Really, really likes watching kids fish.
Posts: 18897
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Kansas City

Re: The fishing thread 2015

Post by FredS » Tue Jun 23, 2015 1:46 pm

Regional variations in fishing gear and techniques is intriguing to me. The surf fishing I'm most familiar with is on the east cost. When I lived in Myrtle Beach there were nice, wide, sandy beaches and the surf fishers would get out early before the families with kids showed up. The used the long poles. Some even had specialized jeeps and buggies with rod holders on the bumpers. Pretty neat.

We used bass gear to fish the inlets around there for sea bass (the best fish I've ever eaten), and flounder and once in a while a king mackerel found it's way in. My buddy was good with a cast net so we hardly ever had to buy bait.

I'll never forget the first drive to SC when we moved there from KS. I saw black people there using cane poles fishing in the ditches along side the highway.

And last year in RI I saw some Vietnamese guys scrambling on boulders as the surf pounded below their feet. It looked horribly dangerous and they were catching some sort of small fish that looked like maybe 2 lbs each.

I've lately been watching fishing shows from England where these guys fish for carp and they use elaborate recipes to make bait balls called boilies and use long poles to deposit the baits in the lake to chum up the fish and hope they take one with a hook in it. It's nuts. And evidently you have to pay to fish everywhere over there and every bit of fishing water is managed for sport.

A sport that's catching on around the center of the US right now is catching those flying asian carp with a bow and arrow or a handheld spear while zooming up and down the larger rivers in motor boats.

EDIT: As a teen, me and my buddies would set 'limb lines' (a heavy line with a hook and half a bluegill or chicken liver on it, tied to a tree limb) and paddle up and down the rivers near my home all night long checking the lines to catch catfish. We'd usually set the lines at dark, drive to town and raise hell for a few hours, then go back to the river and catch bullfrogs for a few hours, then check the lines, then take a short nap, and then pull the lines as the sun came up the next morning.
Last edited by FredS on Tue Jun 23, 2015 1:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

User avatar
UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician
Posts: 31481
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2004 6:00 pm
Location: Lubbock, TX USA
Contact:

Re: The fishing thread 2015

Post by UncleBob » Tue Jun 23, 2015 1:54 pm

FredS wrote:Regional variations in fishing gear and techniques is intriguing to me. The surf fishing I'm most familiar with is on the east cost. When I lived in Myrtle Beach there were nice, wide, sandy beaches and the surf fishers would get out early before the families with kids showed up. The used the long poles. Some even had specialized jeeps and buggies with rod holders on the bumpers. Pretty neat.

We used bass gear to fish the inlets around there for sea bass (the best fish I've ever eaten), and flounder and once in a while a king mackerel found it's way in.

I'll never forget the first drive to SC when we moved there from KS. I saw black people there using cane poles fishing in the ditches along side the highway.

And last year in RI I saw some Vietnamese guys scrambling on boulders as the surf pounded below their feet. It looked horribly dangerous and they were catching some sort of small fish that looked like maybe 2 lbs each.

I've lately been watching fishing shows from England where these guys fish for carp and they use elaborate recipes to make bait balls called boilies and use long poles to deposit the baits in the lake to chum up the fish and hope they take one with a hook in it. It's nuts. And evidently you have to pay to fish everywhere over there and every bit of fishing water is managed for sport.
I grew up on the Mississippi river. People used to go fishing with everything from Coke bottles to Jugs to 5 gallon buckets. I used to fish mostly for catfish in the slews alongside the river and used something that sounds familiar to the "boilies". Overall, though, I preferred fishing in ponds and lakes for bass, sunfish, and blue gill.
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

User avatar
Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores
Posts: 10921
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: central IL

Re: The fishing thread 2015

Post by Gabriel » Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:10 am

I snuck out of the house for a bit yesterday afternoon while the kids had some friends over. The rain has been intense here lately, so no go on the creeks. Went up to our little interstate lake/pond and got into some corners I never fish when I have the kids. Took some patience, but I ended up finding a little pocket of largemouth bass. Black wooly bugger on a 5/6 wt rod. Good fun.

Image
Sola Deo Gloria

User avatar
Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Posts: 20840
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Ad Orientem

Re: The fishing thread 2015

Post by Thunktank » Sun Jun 28, 2015 12:16 pm

Gabriel wrote:I snuck out of the house for a bit yesterday afternoon while the kids had some friends over. The rain has been intense here lately, so no go on the creeks. Went up to our little interstate lake/pond and got into some corners I never fish when I have the kids. Took some patience, but I ended up finding a little pocket of largemouth bass. Black wooly bugger on a 5/6 wt rod. Good fun.

Image
Very nice!

Have you made any fly poppers yet? When the conditions are right on small ponds and lakes it's really cool to watch a bass break the surface after a lure (and miss often).

User avatar
Dlibbon
Elder
Elder
Posts: 672
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2004 6:00 pm
Location: Charleston SC
Contact:

Re: The fishing thread 2015

Post by Dlibbon » Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:38 pm

FredS wrote:[BBvideo 560,340]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPmpUPqUHxY[/BBvideo]
"Son, you'll always be good for something even if it's just a bad example "


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User avatar
Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Posts: 20840
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Ad Orientem

Re: The fishing thread 2015

Post by Thunktank » Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:36 pm

Yesterday evening, an hour before dark, I decided that I wanted to take a walk along the beach. Son 2 wanted to come along so I grabbed a rod and light surf tackle and off we went. My boy caught a few of these little Surf Perch, a type of saltwater bream. It's like fishing for Bluegills in the surf. He's really having fun, though this picture doesn't reflect that.

Sliding egg sinker, orange bead, swivel then a fluorocarbon leader with small hook and a sand worm.

Image

User avatar
Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores
Posts: 10921
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: central IL

Re: The fishing thread 2015

Post by Gabriel » Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:27 pm

FredS wrote:
Gabriel wrote:
Dlibbon wrote:
Gabriel wrote:Nice catches there Bilder and Thunk!

OK boys and girls - I'm running low on streamers. I need recommendations for somewhere to acquire more flies - particularly streamers, but I'll need other ones eventually. There is no local place to find flies, the closest "local" would be a Bass Pro in East Peoria. A solid hour away and not exactly inexpensive. Suggestions?
Start to tie them yourself. A starters kit is worth every penny.
I did start to look at that possibility this past winter. Unfortunately, I need to be a bit more realistic about what my arthritic hands can handle. Fly fishing itself is demanding enough without adding another delicate task.

The good news is that another fly fisherman is graciously helping out with flies. Mrs Gabriel has also expressed interest in learning to tie, so there might be that...
If you can tie a size 14 fly to your line, you can probably tie flies at home on the bench. My eyes are what give me fits. I have to use a lot of light and high powered glasses these days. The other day I found myself at the lake without my reading glasses so I rummaged around the car and found an old pair of prescription glasses. I had to wear them AND my current bifocals in order to tie on a fly. And as soon as dusk set in (the magic hour for warm water fly fishing) I had to go home when I broke off a fly because I couldn't see well enough to thread on a new one.
Looking at fly tying kits, vises, etc. Looks like the Anvil Apex gets great reviews for the price. Mrs. Gabriel and I are now half looking for a vice a tools. Is it worth looking at used equipment? Do these things hold up?
Sola Deo Gloria

User avatar
JudgeRusty
Didn't even get to wear his hat
Didn't even get to wear his hat
Posts: 5363
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:00 pm
Location: VA

Re: The fishing thread 2015

Post by JudgeRusty » Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:00 pm

Gabriel wrote:
FredS wrote:
Gabriel wrote:
Dlibbon wrote:
Gabriel wrote:Nice catches there Bilder and Thunk!

OK boys and girls - I'm running low on streamers. I need recommendations for somewhere to acquire more flies - particularly streamers, but I'll need other ones eventually. There is no local place to find flies, the closest "local" would be a Bass Pro in East Peoria. A solid hour away and not exactly inexpensive. Suggestions?
Start to tie them yourself. A starters kit is worth every penny.
I did start to look at that possibility this past winter. Unfortunately, I need to be a bit more realistic about what my arthritic hands can handle. Fly fishing itself is demanding enough without adding another delicate task.

The good news is that another fly fisherman is graciously helping out with flies. Mrs Gabriel has also expressed interest in learning to tie, so there might be that...
If you can tie a size 14 fly to your line, you can probably tie flies at home on the bench. My eyes are what give me fits. I have to use a lot of light and high powered glasses these days. The other day I found myself at the lake without my reading glasses so I rummaged around the car and found an old pair of prescription glasses. I had to wear them AND my current bifocals in order to tie on a fly. And as soon as dusk set in (the magic hour for warm water fly fishing) I had to go home when I broke off a fly because I couldn't see well enough to thread on a new one.
Looking at fly tying kits, vises, etc. Looks like the Anvil Apex gets great reviews for the price. Mrs. Gabriel and I are now half looking for a vice a tools. Is it worth looking at used equipment? Do these things hold up?
in the meantime, does this help? shipping should be cheap as the weight should be low. http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/browse/s ... _103929480
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal

User avatar
FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.
Really, really likes watching kids fish.
Posts: 18897
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Kansas City

Re: The fishing thread 2015

Post by FredS » Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:16 am

JudgeRusty wrote:
Gabriel wrote:
FredS wrote:
Gabriel wrote:
Dlibbon wrote:
Gabriel wrote:Nice catches there Bilder and Thunk!

OK boys and girls - I'm running low on streamers. I need recommendations for somewhere to acquire more flies - particularly streamers, but I'll need other ones eventually. There is no local place to find flies, the closest "local" would be a Bass Pro in East Peoria. A solid hour away and not exactly inexpensive. Suggestions?
Start to tie them yourself. A starters kit is worth every penny.
I did start to look at that possibility this past winter. Unfortunately, I need to be a bit more realistic about what my arthritic hands can handle. Fly fishing itself is demanding enough without adding another delicate task.

The good news is that another fly fisherman is graciously helping out with flies. Mrs Gabriel has also expressed interest in learning to tie, so there might be that...
If you can tie a size 14 fly to your line, you can probably tie flies at home on the bench. My eyes are what give me fits. I have to use a lot of light and high powered glasses these days. The other day I found myself at the lake without my reading glasses so I rummaged around the car and found an old pair of prescription glasses. I had to wear them AND my current bifocals in order to tie on a fly. And as soon as dusk set in (the magic hour for warm water fly fishing) I had to go home when I broke off a fly because I couldn't see well enough to thread on a new one.
Looking at fly tying kits, vises, etc. Looks like the Anvil Apex gets great reviews for the price. Mrs. Gabriel and I are now half looking for a vice a tools. Is it worth looking at used equipment? Do these things hold up?
in the meantime, does this help? shipping should be cheap as the weight should be low. http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/browse/s ... _103929480
I suppose a good vise will last forever. Probably the only used vises you'll find locally at garage sales and stuff, would be the low end vises that come with fly tying starter sets. Those vises tend not to hold hooks real well and their jaws can get bent/worn making them even less effective. OTH - most of them are probably used very little because the kit was received as a gift and the recipient never got in to the hobby. If you find a set that's still in the box with all the starter threads and fur and feathers it's a good clue that it wasn't used much if at all and it might be worth buying to see if either of you enjoys it.

I've never used the Anvil Apex (or any Anvil) vise, but they do have good reviews. I use a Peak Rotary. All my kids went together and gave it to me for fathers day a few years ago.

BTW - If you have Netflix or Amazon Prime, you guys should watch Kiss the Water. It's nominally about a lady fly tier but it's just as much about the aesthetics of fly fishing in general (from a British POV anyway).
[BBvideo 560,340]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-ivvqmRKt4[/BBvideo]
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

User avatar
bilder
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar
Posts: 3458
Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2007 6:00 pm
Location: Myrtle Point, OR
Contact:

Re: The fishing thread 2015

Post by bilder » Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:14 am

Image

Got this in my favorite catfish pond. Must have been caught there during the winter floods. Not exactly a pond fish.
"Welcome. Please post things that make no sense." -Onyx

User avatar
Dlibbon
Elder
Elder
Posts: 672
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2004 6:00 pm
Location: Charleston SC
Contact:

Re: The fishing thread 2015

Post by Dlibbon » Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:47 pm

Big fishing week for us. (I'm on a little vacation) both my girls caught their first fish! ImageImage

And well I got skunked in the marsh. Image


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User avatar
hugodrax
A Complete Kneebiter
A Complete Kneebiter
Posts: 13480
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:00 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: The fishing thread 2015

Post by hugodrax » Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:49 pm

Dlibbon wrote:Big fishing week for us. (I'm on a little vacation) both my girls caught their first fish! ImageImage

And well I got skunked in the marsh. Image


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Beyond awesome. My favorite post of recent memory.

User avatar
Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores
Posts: 10921
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: central IL

Re: The fishing thread 2015

Post by Gabriel » Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:27 pm

Went fishing at the pond up the road from my parents today (we're over here for the holiday). I caught more panfish than I ever have in one 2 hour period in my life. Bluegill, sunnies, big ol pumpkinseed sunnies, etc; and a few bass in the mix as well. I fished nothing but a #14 pheasant tail nymph tied by FredS. Good times.
Sola Deo Gloria

User avatar
UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician
Posts: 31481
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2004 6:00 pm
Location: Lubbock, TX USA
Contact:

Re: The fishing thread 2015

Post by UncleBob » Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:41 pm

Gabriel wrote:Went fishing at the pond up the road from my parents today (we're over here for the holiday). I caught more panfish than I ever have in one 2 hour period in my life. Bluegill, sunnies, big ol pumpkinseed sunnies, etc; and a few bass in the mix as well. I fished nothing but a #14 pheasant tail nymph tied by FredS. Good times.
Nothing fights better, pound for pound, than bluegill.
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

User avatar
Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Posts: 20840
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Ad Orientem

Re: The fishing thread 2015

Post by Thunktank » Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:02 pm

Talked to my neighbor today. We might be going to Mexico in August for a big game fishing trip. He does it annually, asked me to go before, but I was unable to make it. He goes spur of the moment when the owner of the boat who lives down there tells him the conditions are right. That's makes it hard for me to go. I need to plan for multiple days. Anyway, he almost always catches lots of big fish (20 to 60 lbs) when he goes.

Yesterday I did get a new Daiwa Sealine x reel (conventional) to replace my Saltist (that was moved to another rod). This will be for live lining bait inshore stuff like Calico/Sand bass, Barracuda, Bonito, schoolie Yellowtail and Albacore near the kelp patties when they're being line shy. Anyway, this reel has a good drag, good capacity and great casting. Can't wait to get it wet.

User avatar
Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Posts: 20840
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Ad Orientem

Re: The fishing thread 2015

Post by Thunktank » Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:03 pm

UncleBob wrote:
Gabriel wrote:Went fishing at the pond up the road from my parents today (we're over here for the holiday). I caught more panfish than I ever have in one 2 hour period in my life. Bluegill, sunnies, big ol pumpkinseed sunnies, etc; and a few bass in the mix as well. I fished nothing but a #14 pheasant tail nymph tied by FredS. Good times.
Nothing fights better, pound for pound, than bluegill.
You mean ounce for ounce? :lol:

User avatar
FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.
Really, really likes watching kids fish.
Posts: 18897
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Kansas City

Re: The fishing thread 2015

Post by FredS » Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:31 pm

Thunktank wrote:
UncleBob wrote:
Gabriel wrote:Went fishing at the pond up the road from my parents today (we're over here for the holiday). I caught more panfish than I ever have in one 2 hour period in my life. Bluegill, sunnies, big ol pumpkinseed sunnies, etc; and a few bass in the mix as well. I fished nothing but a #14 pheasant tail nymph tied by FredS. Good times.
Nothing fights better, pound for pound, than bluegill.
You mean ounce for ounce? :lol:
It's been said that if bluegill grew to 5 pounds, nobody would give bass a second look.

We have a fish called a green sunfish around here that fights like hell. An 8" greenie weighs about a pound and is a blast on a #2 wt fly rod. They have wonderful blue neon stripes and speckles and the adults have bright orange fin tips. Just beautiful fish.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

User avatar
Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Posts: 20840
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Ad Orientem

Re: The fishing thread 2015

Post by Thunktank » Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:46 pm

FredS wrote:
Thunktank wrote:
UncleBob wrote:
Gabriel wrote:Went fishing at the pond up the road from my parents today (we're over here for the holiday). I caught more panfish than I ever have in one 2 hour period in my life. Bluegill, sunnies, big ol pumpkinseed sunnies, etc; and a few bass in the mix as well. I fished nothing but a #14 pheasant tail nymph tied by FredS. Good times.
Nothing fights better, pound for pound, than bluegill.
You mean ounce for ounce? :lol:
It's been said that if bluegill grew to 5 pounds, nobody would give bass a second look.

We have a fish called a green sunfish around here that fights like hell. An 8" greenie weighs about a pound and is a blast on a #2 wt fly rod. They have wonderful blue neon stripes and speckles and the adults have bright orange fin tips. Just beautiful fish.
Yes, I can believe that about five pound sunfish. There was a pond on a farm in Pennsylvania that had bass and pumpkinseed sunfish. It's ecology was upside down in that the sunfish frequently outgrow the largemouth bass. They were the largest sunfish I ever saw and they were typically large while the bass were severally stunted. The sunfish were biting our surface plugs that mimicked frogs as often as the bass did. They were fighters too! I don't want to guess how large they really were, I fished that pond until I was about 13. But I remember clearly believing that their weight was similar to legal sized largemouth bass in that region. They were huge!

But even our surf perch which are close cousins are real fighters. If they top 10 inches or so they will pull hard enough to get the drag working on light tackle. And they will use the wave action in surf to their advantage. Surf fishing perch and croakers locally has a following among some anglers similar to fly fishing for trout by stream fisherman.

User avatar
Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores
Posts: 10921
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: central IL

Re: The fishing thread 2015

Post by Gabriel » Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:16 pm

FredS wrote:
Thunktank wrote:
UncleBob wrote:
Gabriel wrote:Went fishing at the pond up the road from my parents today (we're over here for the holiday). I caught more panfish than I ever have in one 2 hour period in my life. Bluegill, sunnies, big ol pumpkinseed sunnies, etc; and a few bass in the mix as well. I fished nothing but a #14 pheasant tail nymph tied by FredS. Good times.
Nothing fights better, pound for pound, than bluegill.
You mean ounce for ounce? :lol:
It's been said that if bluegill grew to 5 pounds, nobody would give bass a second look.

We have a fish called a green sunfish around here that fights like hell. An 8" greenie weighs about a pound and is a blast on a #2 wt fly rod. They have wonderful blue neon stripes and speckles and the adults have bright orange fin tips. Just beautiful fish.
Oh yeah, bluegill/sunnies are fun to catch any day of the week. Those big pumpkin seeds we were catching were enough to run the drag out on my daughter's reel every time. People look down on them cause they're smaller and will jump on anything sometimes, but unless you're gonna put it on the wall or feed a crowd with it... I'll take a fun to catch fish any time.
Sola Deo Gloria

User avatar
Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Posts: 20840
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Ad Orientem

Re: The fishing thread 2015

Post by Thunktank » Sat Jul 11, 2015 2:08 pm

I think after my DIVCO project I'm going to start a skiff project. A sea worthy work boat that I can fish the coastal salt and islands.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests