The fishing thread

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Re: The fishing thread 2015

Post by Gabriel » Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:06 am

I got down to the creek for a few hours yesterday after work. Beautiful day. The big carp are back in the shallower water, but super skittish. I did better with Rock Bass among the rocks, smaller carp, and at sunset I switched to a midge (from the black wooly bugger I'd used all afternoon) and had fun catching the small stuff feeding on the surface for a bit. Good times.

Sola Deo Gloria

FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.

Post by FredS » Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:30 pm

Gabriel wrote:. . .The big carp are back in the shallower water, but super skittish. . .[/img]
Number one on my fishing list for 2015 is to catch one of those big carp in the shallows with a fly. The are super skittish so you need long, accurate casts. Let them see your shadow and they spook. Put a leader across their nose and they spook. Splash a fly down 2' in front of them and they spook. Fishing for carp is often compared to fishing for bonefish on ocean flats.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

FredS

Post by FredS » Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:33 pm

BTW - Do you fly fishers know Hank Patterson, world renowned fly fishing expert and guide?
[BBvideo 560,340]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGASamEkgA8[/BBvideo]
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Post by UncleBob » Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:34 pm

Gabriel wrote: Image
I think that is a fossil bed of vertebrates you have there. Can you take a closer pic next time?
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

FredS

Post by FredS » Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:18 pm

Here's a similar rock in the little Blue River near me. Only it's full of invertebrates. A million mussels frozen in time.

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:24 pm

FredS wrote:Here's a similar rock in the little Blue River near me. Only it's full of invertebrates. A million mussels frozen in time.

That is cool and if I were still in MO, I would be all over it.
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:23 pm

UncleBob wrote:
Gabriel wrote: Image
I think that is a fossil bed of vertebrates you have there. Can you take a closer pic next time?
You know... I didn't look that closely at the rock (kind of unusual for me). I'll be more conscientious next time...
Sola Deo Gloria

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:32 pm

FredS wrote:
Gabriel wrote:. . .The big carp are back in the shallower water, but super skittish. . .[/img]
Number one on my fishing list for 2015 is to catch one of those big carp in the shallows with a fly. The are super skittish so you need long, accurate casts. Let them see your shadow and they spook. Put a leader across their nose and they spook. Splash a fly down 2' in front of them and they spook. Fishing for carp is often compared to fishing for bonefish on ocean flats.
Quite. I spent most of last summer taking mental notes of all the places in this creek where I see them most often. They're on my list. These guys weren't even seeing my shadow, they could see me on the bank and would swerve away. The crazy thing is they'll sometimes swim right by my legs if I've been standing still in the water, I waded within about 6 feet of one last night that I didn't see until it spooked and shot away. Then they'll spook because the see my line in the air... I actually had one hooked on a black and purple wooly bugger the season before last... I over re-acted and ended up losing him. I haven't had another shot at landing one since. :evil:

I can't tell you how much I've enjoyed fly fishing. So much closer to hunting than other types of fishing.
Sola Deo Gloria

bilder
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by bilder » Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:38 am

Took my daughter fishing on Sunday afternoon. Was a beautiful day out with temps near 70.

My daughter spent more time feeding the ducks than fishing, but she had fun. I ended the day with 2 cigars smoked and 5 trout in the bucket. Biggest was 13 inches. Water is still a touch on the cool side for the bass to be active, but I tried to tempt a couple anyway with no luck.
"Welcome. Please post things that make no sense." -Onyx

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:13 am

I'm waiting impatiently for the neighbor girl to get over here to watch the chillun's. Mrs. Gabriel and I are heading out for a few hours of kid-free fishing. :chili:

Also lost another large carp (I assume) on Saturday :evil: Landing big fish on lighter tackle is an art I'm still working on...
Sola Deo Gloria

Dlibbon
Elder
Elder

Post by Dlibbon » Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:29 pm

Recently got back from some fun in NC. I was hoping to float some drys but due to all their rain it was streamer city. Olive whooly bugger saved my trip. Image

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:37 pm

Dlibbon wrote:Recently got back from some fun in NC. I was hoping to float some drys but due to all their rain it was streamer city. Olive whooly bugger saved my trip.

So jealous, where in NC?
Sola Deo Gloria

Dlibbon
Elder
Elder

Post by Dlibbon » Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:43 pm

Davidson river, looking glass creek, and then some pocket waters off in the backcountry. Love that strip of water.

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:46 pm

Dlibbon wrote:Davidson river, looking glass creek, and then some pocket waters off in the backcountry. Love that strip of water.

Oh wow. Now I'm really jealous. I've spent plenty of time in that area backpacking. Wasn't a fly-fisherman then, would so love to back and spend some time in that clear cold water.
Sola Deo Gloria

Dlibbon
Elder
Elder

Post by Dlibbon » Fri May 01, 2015 12:00 pm

[BBvideo 560,340]https://vimeo.com/123359555[/BBvideo]

mstg99
Rude, Callous, and Demeaning
Rude, Callous, and Demeaning

Post by mstg99 » Sun May 10, 2015 9:39 pm

My daughter wanted to go out this evening. Got 2 nice walleye and a northern in less than an hour. Good cheap entertainment.
I am opting out of the optional signature.

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Mon May 11, 2015 6:44 pm

Dlibbon wrote:[BBvideo 560,340]https://vimeo.com/123359555[/BBvideo]
Finally watched these. Hilarious.

Link is pre-approved for I-D
Sola Deo Gloria

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Mon May 18, 2015 7:43 pm

A pic Mrs. Gabriel snapped with her crappy phone a few weeks ago. I finally got around to seeing if I could turn it into something cool; I sort of succeeded. Fishing for smallmouth bass on the Vermillion River.

Sola Deo Gloria

bilder
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by bilder » Tue May 19, 2015 7:22 pm

Little fun at the pond.
"Welcome. Please post things that make no sense." -Onyx

Jocose
a large Chinese man named Wu
a large Chinese man named Wu

Post by Jocose » Tue May 19, 2015 8:02 pm

bilder wrote:Image

Little fun at the pond.

Nice catch
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

I've crossed the Bosphorus.