The fishing thread

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

The fishing thread

Post by Gabriel » Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:24 am

Starting a new fishing thread this year; post your fishing stories, adventures, pics, pics of your kids fishing, questions, whathaveyou!

With the recent warm weather I'm looking forward to the lakes and creeks around here finally thawing out in the near future. In the meantime I spent some birthday money on this:

Should be here by tomorrow :D
Last edited by Gabriel on Sun Jan 03, 2016 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sola Deo Gloria

Jocose
a large Chinese man named Wu
a large Chinese man named Wu

Re: The fishing thread 2015

Post by Jocose » Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:58 pm

I don't have much time for fishing anymore but I plan on buying a light rod and doing some trout/sunfish later this year
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

I've crossed the Bosphorus.

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:22 pm

Gabriel wrote:Starting a new fishing thread this year; post your fishing stories, adventures, pics, pics of your kids fishing, questions, whathaveyou!

With the recent warm weather I'm looking forward to the lakes and creeks around here finally thawing out in the near future. In the meantime I spent some birthday money on this:

Should be here by tomorrow :D
It's here! Now just need to get the boys to bed so I have time to look at it this evening. Hopefully with a drink and a pipe.

Also managed to get down to Rook's Creek to check out the situation over lunchtime today. Ice is gone, creek is high and muddy.
Sola Deo Gloria

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:24 pm

Jocose wrote:I don't have much time for fishing anymore but I plan on buying a light rod and doing some trout/sunfish later this year
Fishing for sunnies and bluegill with light tackle is great fun all on it's own. I've spent many an hour with the kids (and without them) going after nothing else.
Sola Deo Gloria

gravel
Now it's a mess. Uniquely so.
Now it's a mess. Uniquely so.

Post by gravel » Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:27 pm

I didn't know we were headed to annual installment of throwing bait into the water.

/subscribed

FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.

Post by FredS » Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:37 pm

Check out this clever way of making wings on a dry fly. This video show the wings down as a spinner - a mayfly that has mated then fallen, exhausted, to the water to die - but you could also tie them upright to imitate an emerging fly. Pretty neat.

[BBvideo]560,340]https://vimeo.com/121805832[/BBvideo]
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Dlibbon
Elder
Elder

Post by Dlibbon » Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:52 pm

FredS wrote:Check out this clever way of making wings on a dry fly. This video show the wings down as a spinner - a mayfly that has mated then fallen, exhausted, to the water to die - but you could also tie them upright to imitate an emerging fly. Pretty neat.

[BBvideo]560,340]https://vimeo.com/121805832[/BBvideo]
Saw this earlier on FB. Man he makes splitting that feather look so easy.

Pulled my first fish of 2015 out of a lake last weekend in the sand hills of SC. Caught a fun large mouth bass on a size 16 bead head nymph. It's been a long winter.

Looking to go fish Looking Glass Creek off of the Davidson in NC the first week after Easter. Anyone fished that area before?

Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed

Post by Bloodhound » Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:28 pm

Last fall I got my first taste of fly fishing...I have the fever bad...I am saving pennies to get a set of waders and boots ...will make do with the Rod made in Japan and the reel from ???? but I have a selection of flies and stuff....so when the water goes down a little...I will be out
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD ...

FredS

Post by FredS » Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:40 pm

For many years (until last year as a matter of fact), I used an old pair of pac boots with the felt liner removed as my wading boots in cold and moderate water. In warm water I used what were essentially hightop canvas Chuck Taylors I bought in a second hand shop. In really warm water I leave the waders at home and just wear a pair of water shoes.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Skip
Everything in Moderatoration

Post by Skip » Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:55 pm

Silly question: I always see guys fly fishing in streams. I have a virgin fly rig and a small pond (1 to 2 acres?) at the end of the block. Is fly fishing there an option?

(Please remember that the vast majority of my experience is on big lakes jigging for walleye with a light spinning rig and throwing plastics and bucktails for musky and northern...)
As seen on WGN...
2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 Winner of the CPS Award: "Most Likely to be Found Without Pants at Any Given Moment"
"Arrogance, Alcohol, and Admin Rights: what a combination!"
"Let's carpe the hell out of this diem."
"No man is peer to Skip, peasant." -A_Morley

FredS

Post by FredS » Thu Mar 12, 2015 4:05 pm

If a fish eats bugs or smaller fish you can catch it with a fly rod. In a river, on a lake, in the ocean. The mental image most have of fly fishing is of a proper gentleman in tweed throwing tiny dry flies (flies that float on the surface) but that guy is in the minority of fly fishers these days.

Watch this video of Marc Crapo and friends to catch a glimpse of the current state of affairs in one branch of the fly fishing tree:
[BBvideo]560,340]https://vimeo.com/101335463[/BBvideo]
Last edited by FredS on Thu Mar 12, 2015 4:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Dlibbon
Elder
Elder

Post by Dlibbon » Thu Mar 12, 2015 4:06 pm

Absolutely, as long as there are fish you can catch em. http://howtoflyfish.orvis.com/video-lessons is a great place to learn the head knowledge. The rest comes with practice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bloodhound

Post by Bloodhound » Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:12 am

FredS wrote:For many years (until last year as a matter of fact), I used an old pair of pac boots with the felt liner removed as my wading boots in cold and moderate water. In warm water I used what were essentially hightop canvas Chuck Taylors I bought in a second hand shop. In really warm water I leave the waders at home and just wear a pair of water shoes.
Last fall I bought a pair of water shoes...but by then it was way too cold...the Colorado mountain streams stay real cool all season....I am thinking some hip waders will also come in handy. I will try the pack boots that's a great idea.
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD ...

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:06 am

Skip wrote:Silly question: I always see guys fly fishing in streams. I have a virgin fly rig and a small pond (1 to 2 acres?) at the end of the block. Is fly fishing there an option?

(Please remember that the vast majority of my experience is on big lakes jigging for walleye with a light spinning rig and throwing plastics and bucktails for musky and northern...)
Fred has already answered, but I'll throw in my 2 cents as well. It was that picture of an experienced fly fisherman fishing mountain streams for trout that kept me from pursuing fly fishing for years. It was the discovery of a few decent streams/rivers that seemed to fit the description of "fly fishing rivers" close to home (obviously without the trout) that really got me thinking about it again. In the last year I ended up taking my fly rod and gear up to our little lake here in town to practice and found that fly fishing for sunnies and bluegill was about as much fun as anything else. With some nymphs and streamers you can catch crappie and bluegill all day long without really needing to wade or travel.
Sola Deo Gloria

Skip

Post by Skip » Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:26 am

Gabriel wrote:
Skip wrote:Silly question: I always see guys fly fishing in streams. I have a virgin fly rig and a small pond (1 to 2 acres?) at the end of the block. Is fly fishing there an option?

Fred has already answered, but I'll throw in my 2 cents as well. It was that picture of an experienced fly fisherman fishing mountain streams for trout that kept me from pursuing fly fishing for years. It was the discovery of a few decent streams/rivers that seemed to fit the description of "fly fishing rivers" close to home (obviously without the trout) that really got me thinking about it again. In the last year I ended up taking my fly rod and gear up to our little lake here in town to practice and found that fly fishing for sunnies and bluegill was about as much fun as anything else. With some nymphs and streamers you can catch crappie and bluegill all day long without really needing to wade or travel.
I watched some of the videos Dave linked to and realized that I need to get out there with that fly rod. :-) Now to go find everything that came with the kit again...
As seen on WGN...
2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 Winner of the CPS Award: "Most Likely to be Found Without Pants at Any Given Moment"
"Arrogance, Alcohol, and Admin Rights: what a combination!"
"Let's carpe the hell out of this diem."
"No man is peer to Skip, peasant." -A_Morley

sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by sweetandsour » Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:21 pm

My grandson's been going with some friends this week while on spring break. Yesterday they went for crappie, and got 10.

Then this afternoon they went saltwater fishing for speckled trout.

As thus we sat in darkness
Each one busy with his prayers,
"We are lost!" the captain shouted,
As he staggered down the stairs.

O love the Lord, all ye His saints: for the Lord preserveth the faithful. Psalm 31:23

mstg99
Rude, Callous, and Demeaning
Rude, Callous, and Demeaning

Post by mstg99 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:28 pm

I went out for about half an hour today. Got nuthin.
I am opting out of the optional signature.

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:16 am

There's still ice on the ponds and the creeks are high, cold, and muddy. I spent one night this week smoking, drinking guiness, listening to blues, and cleaning and straitening my fly line. Great evening.

Sola Deo Gloria

Dlibbon
Elder
Elder

Post by Dlibbon » Fri Mar 20, 2015 4:13 pm

Image spent last night at the bench. Filling the box for spring.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:21 am

Weather was gorgeous here yesterday so I snuck out of the office early and went down to the creek for a few hours. Fishing was slow, very slow, but I had a great time. I was very happy that my technique was not too rusty and I was able to work on a few different casts and approaches. I was surprised that I wasn't getting any panfish on nymphs, but you'll have days like that I guess. Did manage a couple sunnies on a midge as the sun went down. Happy to spend the evening on the water.
Sola Deo Gloria