The fishing thread

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
TwoXseveN
I'm the Sassy One

Re: The fishing thread

Post by TwoXseveN » Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:26 am

FredS wrote:
Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:27 am
TwoXseveN wrote:
Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:18 pm
Got out for several hours on the Platte and Grand rivers this morning practicing fly casting.

I have quite a bit of experience with inland and Great Lake casting, but learning fly casting on rivers is becoming a fun challenge.

While out this morning I saw several turkeys in a field off shore, two bald eagles which flew right over us, two deer swam across the river just after we drifted past, and two osprey nesting on a railroad bridge.

Caught nothing during my fly practice, but it was still a lovely day :)
Are you in Nebraska?
Nope! We got our own versions here in Michigan as well :)
I'm what some CPS'ers have called, "Better than advertised".

sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by sweetandsour » Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:39 pm

Had a short outing one morning last week with my youngest grandson, in-between his Little League All-Star games. (His team won district, btw, and begin the regional tournament next week.) He caught his largest bass to-date, estimated at 5 or 6 lbs, with a plastic worm that he selected and rigged.

He posed for a few nice pics with it,holding it up, etc, and then released it.

Then yesterday afternoon I enjoyed an outing with my oldest grandson, who is really out-fishing me. Here he's holding a very nice 20" speck.

He caught another similar speck, then this keeper flounder ...

We needed a redfish in order to complete the "Trinity", or "Texas Slam", as some call it. We very shortly had a double hook-up, and both were redfish. You can guess which one was mine.

At one point we had an interested spectator ...

A nice view across the cove, of the old lighthouse ...

And then some random shots on the way back to the boat ramp ...
Sunset ...
Rigs in the ship channel ...
LNG Plant ...
Shrimp boats ...

An old rig ...

Good days. I could expound further, but I'll just simply say, good days.
As thus we sat in darkness
Each one busy with his prayers,
"We are lost!" the captain shouted,
As he staggered down the stairs.

O love the Lord, all ye His saints: for the Lord preserveth the faithful. Psalm 31:23

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by durangopipe » Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:50 am

Great photos s&s. . .

Love hearing about your grandchildren.
The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.

J.R.R. Tolkien

Wherever we go in the world we find other men speaking the same language...dreaming the same dreams. And one of the big four - brownie, or brookie, cutthroat or rainbow - is the cause of it all.

Roderick Haig-Brown

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:27 am

Thanks for sharing the pic, S&S. Makes me miss SC though...
Sola Deo Gloria

ReverendThom
A Mari Usque Ad Mare
A Mari Usque Ad Mare

Post by ReverendThom » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:00 pm

Friend's kid graduated high school today. He refused to wear a boutonniere. They made this for him.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

“I believe that many who find that "nothing happens" when they sit down, or kneel down, to a book of devotion, would find that the heart sings unbidden while they are working their way through a tough bit of theology with a pipe in their teeth and a pencil in their hand.”

― C.S. Lewis, On the Incarnation

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:16 pm

Rough day at work today, I snuck in about 45 minutes at the creek in the afternoon and hauled in a few on a crayfish pattern, including this monster. (Ended up losing my orange crayfish to a rock :( )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sola Deo Gloria

JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:36 pm

Gabriel wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:16 pm
Rough day at work today, I snuck in about 45 minutes at the creek in the afternoon and hauled in a few on a crayfish pattern, including this monster. (Ended up losing my orange crayfish to a rock :( )

Nice.

We went yesterday morning and got skunked. My grandson learned that iPhones do not float.

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:54 pm

Gabriel wrote:

Nice fish!
Great fly - love the eyes.

(Sorry Jim)
The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.

J.R.R. Tolkien

Wherever we go in the world we find other men speaking the same language...dreaming the same dreams. And one of the big four - brownie, or brookie, cutthroat or rainbow - is the cause of it all.

Roderick Haig-Brown

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:02 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:54 pm
Gabriel wrote:

Nice fish!

(Sorry Jim)
It has been a great pattern. I have one in green and one "natural", unfortunately that was my only orange. It had caught more than one smallmouth for sure.

I didn't tie it, it's a May's Full Motion crayfish that I bought from Orvis. Looks like it's time to find a good pattern and start collecting materials...

I did try to improvise a crayfish on the vise the other day with what I had... you'll notice i didn't post any pics of it. ;)
Sola Deo Gloria

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:05 pm

Spent an hour today untangling the bails on my children's rods. This thread is oddly inspiring.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:25 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:05 pm
Spent an hour today untangling the bails on my children's rods. This thread is oddly inspiring.
Great!
Good to hear you're feeling inspired.

I should be fishing on the Animas an hour or two here and there by next week. It's still running high with snowmelt, but it's coming down. The plan is to fish it with a light salmon rod using salmon fishing techniques. Strange, I know, but I've fished it for years with more appropriate tactics and know I can catch fish that way. I'll be honest if I get skunked!

There are some big browns in the river. This just might work on them.

At this point in my angling career, I want to catch the fish the way I want to catch them, and two-handed casting has really grabbed me.

J.R.R. Tolkien

Roderick Haig-Brown

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:37 pm

Gabriel wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:02 pm
durangopipe wrote:
Gabriel wrote:

Nice fish!

(Sorry Jim)
It has been a great pattern. I have one in green and one "natural", unfortunately that was my only orange. It had caught more than one smallmouth for sure.

I didn't tie it, it's a May's Full Motion crayfish that I bought from Orvis. Looks like it's time to find a good pattern and start collecting materials...

I did try to improvise a crayfish on the vise the other day with what I had... you'll notice i didn't post any pics of it. ;)
The best crawfish pattern, and the easiest to tie, I've used is nothing more than a brown wooly bugger with one addition: a pair of curved brown feathers (pheasant breast feathers work great) tied opposite each other on both sides of the rear of the hook curving outward on either side of a brown marabou tail. If you strip it with short strips, the water pushes the feathers toward the tail and when you stop the strip they pop back out to where they were. This simulates a swimming crawfish pretty well. It's a great stillwater or slow moving river pattern.

I tied this fly for the lower stretches of a tributary of the Animas, the Florida River, locally pronounced Flo-ree'-da, and we named it the Floreeda Crab. Subsequently, I got to fish it in the lakes at Elk Trout Lodge (a buddy who guides there got us
in; no way in hell we could afford to fish there) and it worked really well in their crawdad filled water.

If you don't have any pheasant feathers, try it with a couple of those died mallard flank feathers.

If you want you can make eyes at the head of the fly with about an inch or so of 3X mono tied in a road the hook and melted with a lighter.

Give it a try!

J.R.R. Tolkien

Roderick Haig-Brown

JimVH
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:40 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:37 pm
Gabriel wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:02 pm
durangopipe wrote:
Gabriel wrote:

Nice fish!

(Sorry Jim)

The best crawfish pattern, and the easiest to tie, I've used is nothing more than a brown wooly bugger with one addition: a pair of curved brown feathers (pheasant breast feathers work great) tied opposite each other on both sides of the rear of the hook curving outward on either side of a brown marabou tail. If you strip it with short strips, the water pushes the feathers toward the tail and when you stop the strip they pop back out to where they were. This simulates a swimming crawfish pretty well. It's a great stillwater or slow moving river pattern.

I tied this fly for the lower stretches of a tributary of the Animas, the Florida River, locally pronounced Flo-ree'-da, and we named it the Floreeda Crab. Subsequently, I got to fish it in the lakes at Elk Trout Lodge (a buddy who guides there got us
in; no way in hell we could afford to fish there) and it worked really well in their crawdad filled water.

If you don't have any pheasant feathers, try it with a couple of those died mallard flank feathers.

If you want you can make eyes at the head of the fly with about an inch or so of 3X mono tied in a road the hook and melted with a lighter.

Give it a try!
Durangopipe: A CPS Treasure

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:19 pm

JimVH wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:40 pm
durangopipe wrote:

Give it a try!
Durangopipe: A CPS Treasure
Ain't that the truth!

Thanks for the suggestion DP, I actually have all that, or close enough. I have a whole pheasant skin from last hunting season, plus others. I'll have to see what I can do...
Sola Deo Gloria

ReverendThom
A Mari Usque Ad Mare
A Mari Usque Ad Mare

Post by ReverendThom » Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:24 am

Rainy and dreary Canada Day yesterday, so the Mrs and I fished for Rock Bass inside the boat house.
I smoked some Squadron Leader in a Rev Thom Stublin, and drank a couple pints of oatmeal stout from the local microbrewery. She drank hot chocolate and fought off heart burn.
She says these pictures should not be seen by anyone. So here they are. The smallie is actually hers, but she did not want to touch it yesterday.

“I believe that many who find that "nothing happens" when they sit down, or kneel down, to a book of devotion, would find that the heart sings unbidden while they are working their way through a tough bit of theology with a pipe in their teeth and a pencil in their hand.”

― C.S. Lewis, On the Incarnation

JudgeRusty
Didn't even get to wear his hat

Post by JudgeRusty » Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:53 am

durangopipe wrote:

Give it a try!
pics or it didn't happen
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:13 am

JudgeRusty wrote:
Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:53 am
durangopipe wrote:

Give it a try!
pics or it didn't happen
I fear I no longer have any and can't tie at the moment.
For the most part, I'm either vertical or prone. Sometimes kneeling. But maybe I should give it a try.
If I do, the first fly I'll do will be a Floreeda Crab.

J.R.R. Tolkien

Roderick Haig-Brown

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:20 am

ReverendThom wrote:
Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:24 am
Rainy and dreary Canada Day yesterday, so the Mrs and I fished for Rock Bass inside the boat house.
I smoked some Squadron Leader in a Rev Thom Stublin, and drank a couple pints of oatmeal stout from the local microbrewery. She drank hot chocolate and fought off heart burn.
She says these pictures should not be seen by anyone. So here they are. The smallie is actually hers, but she did not want to touch it yesterday.

Looks like you had a great day, Rev!

J.R.R. Tolkien

Roderick Haig-Brown

JudgeRusty

Post by JudgeRusty » Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:10 am

durangopipe wrote:
Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:13 am
JudgeRusty wrote:
durangopipe wrote:

Give it a try!
pics or it didn't happen
For the most part, I'm either vertical or prone. Sometimes kneeling. But maybe I should give it a try.
Ok. Do you replace the tail section with the two feathers? This would be similar to this crawfish patter (not a bugger). Image

Or, from your description, it sounds like you add the feathers to the maribou tail section. Would you tie in the maribou, then the claw feathers, then the body material?
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:27 am

JudgeRusty wrote:
Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:10 am
durangopipe wrote:
Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:13 am
JudgeRusty wrote:
durangopipe wrote:

Give it a try!
pics or it didn't happen
Ok. Do you replace the tail section with the two feathers? This would be similar to this crawfish patter (not a bugger). Image

Or, from your description, it sounds like you add the feathers to the maribou tail section. Would you tie in the maribou, then the claw feathers, then the body material?
That's a pretty nifty fly, JR!

I add the "claw" feathers to the woolly bugger, and sometimes add eyes - including the marabou tail which becomes crawfish mouth parts and antennae, I figure.

More tying details:

Long shank hook, TMC 200R or Mustad 9672 or the like.
Brown 6/0 thread.

Wrap the hook wth thread from hook eye to above the barb.
Wrap back toward the eye a few turns.

Hold an inch or so of 3X mono at right angles to the shank. Secure with an "X" wrap over the mono.
Hold a lighter away from one end of the mono, slowly bring it closer to the mono until it starts to melt. Stop while there's still a "stalk" holding the melted "eye" away from the shank so the eyes don't get lost n the chennile to come. Repeat on the other side. If you want bigger eyes use longer mono. If you are going to wight they fly with lead wire, use longer mono and leave a longer stalk.

Wrap thread back to above the barb. Lay a clump of brown marabou ends over the back of the hook and tie in at the end of the hook and past the "eyes." Snip marabou stems. Wrap thread forward and back.

You can add lead wire at this point if you want a weighted fly. I always cover the lead with thread wraps and head cement. You need to wrap the thread over the lead wire in "X"es initially so it doesn't open up the wire wraps and fall between them.

Take a matched pair of pheasant breast feathers tips, stripped by the quill end, curving out from the tail, and hold them together by the bottom of the feather and stem over the hook bend either side of the marabou tail. Tie in the feather stems the same way you tied in the tail, a couple of loose wraps, then tighten so they don't twist. Snip ends of stems after they're secure. Wrap thread forward and back again.

Tie in about 6" of large, brown chennile.
Tie in a long, soft, brown hackle with barbules about 1 1/2 times the hook gap.

Wrap the chennile forward. Tie off several turn lengths behind the hook eye.
Palmer the hackle forward and tie off where the chennile ends.

Wrap a small, neat head.
Whip finnish. Head cement if desired.

I hope I remembered everything.
Haven't tied one in a while.

Post a picture!
Go fishing!!

J.R.R. Tolkien

Roderick Haig-Brown