The fishing thread

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
ReverendThom
A Mari Usque Ad Mare
A Mari Usque Ad Mare

Re: The fishing thread

Post by ReverendThom » Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:58 am

Just went for a drive to Sioux Narrows, ON and stopped in at the Northern Ontario Sportfishing Centre. Found a picture of ... Me!
Also found this cool posterImageImage

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

“I believe that many who find that "nothing happens" when they sit down, or kneel down, to a book of devotion, would find that the heart sings unbidden while they are working their way through a tough bit of theology with a pipe in their teeth and a pencil in their hand.”

― C.S. Lewis, On the Incarnation

JudgeRusty
Didn't even get to wear his hat

Post by JudgeRusty » Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:10 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:27 am
JudgeRusty wrote:
Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:10 am
durangopipe wrote:
Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:13 am
JudgeRusty wrote:
Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:53 am
durangopipe wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:37 pm

The best crawfish pattern, and the easiest to tie, I've used is nothing more than a brown wooly bugger with one addition: a pair of curved brown feathers (pheasant breast feathers work great) tied opposite each other on both sides of the rear of the hook curving outward on either side of a brown marabou tail. If you strip it with short strips, the water pushes the feathers toward the tail and when you stop the strip they pop back out to where they were. This simulates a swimming crawfish pretty well. It's a great stillwater or slow moving river pattern.

I tied this fly for the lower stretches of a tributary of the Animas, the Florida River, locally pronounced Flo-ree'-da, and we named it the Floreeda Crab. Subsequently, I got to fish it in the lakes at Elk Trout Lodge (a buddy who guides there got us
in; no way in hell we could afford to fish there) and it worked really well in their crawdad filled water.

If you don't have any pheasant feathers, try it with a couple of those died mallard flank feathers.

If you want you can make eyes at the head of the fly with about an inch or so of 3X mono tied in a road the hook and melted with a lighter.

Give it a try!
pics or it didn't happen
I fear I no longer have any and can't tie at the moment.
For the most part, I'm either vertical or prone. Sometimes kneeling. But maybe I should give it a try.
If I do, the first fly I'll do will be a Floreeda Crab.
Ok. Do you replace the tail section with the two feathers? This would be similar to this crawfish patter (not a bugger). Image

Or, from your description, it sounds like you add the feathers to the maribou tail section. Would you tie in the maribou, then the claw feathers, then the body material?
That's a pretty nifty fly, JR!

I add the "claw" feathers to the woolly bugger, and sometimes add eyes - including the marabou tail which becomes crawfish mouth parts and antennae, I figure.

More tying details:

Long shank hook, TMC 200R or Mustad 9672 or the like.
Brown 6/0 thread.

Wrap the hook wth thread from hook eye to above the barb.
Wrap back toward the eye a few turns.

Hold an inch or so of 3X mono at right angles to the shank. Secure with an "X" wrap over the mono.
Hold a lighter away from one end of the mono, slowly bring it closer to the mono until it starts to melt. Stop while there's still a "stalk" holding the melted "eye" away from the shank so the eyes don't get lost n the chennile to come. Repeat on the other side. If you want bigger eyes use longer mono. If you are going to wight they fly with lead wire, use longer mono and leave a longer stalk.

Wrap thread back to above the barb. Lay a clump of brown marabou ends over the back of the hook and tie in at the end of the hook and past the "eyes." Snip marabou stems. Wrap thread forward and back.

You can add lead wire at this point if you want a weighted fly. I always cover the lead with thread wraps and head cement. You need to wrap the thread over the lead wire in "X"es initially so it doesn't open up the wire wraps and fall between them.

Take a matched pair of pheasant breast feathers tips, stripped by the quill end, curving out from the tail, and hold them together by the bottom of the feather and stem over the hook bend either side of the marabou tail. Tie in the feather stems the same way you tied in the tail, a couple of loose wraps, then tighten so they don't twist. Snip ends of stems after they're secure. Wrap thread forward and back again.

Tie in about 6" of large, brown chennile.
Tie in a long, soft, brown hackle with barbules about 1 1/2 times the hook gap.

Wrap the chennile forward. Tie off several turn lengths behind the hook eye.
Palmer the hackle forward and tie off where the chennile ends.

Wrap a small, neat head.
Whip finnish. Head cement if desired.

I hope I remembered everything.
Haven't tied one in a while.

Post a picture!
Go fishing!!
Thank you very much.
I need to tie some Smallmouth flies; it is supposed to be a good time to catch them in the Roanoke and James River here, both on top and below. From talking to the locals, I think I need crawfish and hellgrammite patterns. I have never fished for Smallmouth before.
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:42 pm

Like this?

More or less?

When I have a few minutes for comments I'll move this all over to the other thread...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sola Deo Gloria

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by durangopipe » Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:51 pm

Gabriel wrote:
Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:42 pm
Like this?

More or less?

When I have a few minutes for comments I'll move this all over to the other thread...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No less.
That's more!

(Screw the Bauhaus.)

You've got it, Gabriel.
That was one of my most successful flies, ever.

Fish it with short strips.
Vary the speed until they start hitting it.

Can't wait for a report!
The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.

J.R.R. Tolkien

Wherever we go in the world we find other men speaking the same language...dreaming the same dreams. And one of the big four - brownie, or brookie, cutthroat or rainbow - is the cause of it all.

Roderick Haig-Brown

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:08 pm

JudgeRusty wrote:
pics or it didn't happen

Gentlemen, I owe you all a huge debt of gratitude.

Don't want to go into a lot of detail, but I've been "stove' up" for quite some time. The most difficult thing has been sitting for more than a few minutes at a time. Despite the suggestions of friends, my wife, anyone who cared to try to convince me, dammit, if I couldn't tie flies like I used to I just wasn't going to even try!

Well, I did.
This Floreeda Crab is a mess. It sucks. But it's the first damn fly I've tied in about two years.
I did it standing up and it took me forever.

I have all of you to thank for that.
From the bottom of my heart, thank you.

Tie more and go fish 'em, it'll make me the happiest man in the world.
The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.

J.R.R. Tolkien

Wherever we go in the world we find other men speaking the same language...dreaming the same dreams. And one of the big four - brownie, or brookie, cutthroat or rainbow - is the cause of it all.

Roderick Haig-Brown

JudgeRusty

Post by JudgeRusty » Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:12 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:08 pm
JudgeRusty wrote:
pics or it didn't happen

Gentlemen, I owe you all a huge debt of gratitude.

Don't want to go into a lot of detail, but I've been "stove' up" for quite some time. The most difficult thing has been sitting for more than a few minutes at a time. Despite the suggestions of friends, my wife, anyone who cared to try to convince me, dammit, if I couldn't tie flies like I used to I just wasn't going to even try!

Well, I did.
This Floreeda Crab is a mess. It sucks. But it's the first damn fly I've tied in about two years.
I did it standing up and it took me forever.

I have all of you to thank for that.
From the bottom of my heart, thank you.

Tie more and go fish 'em, it'll make me the happiest man in the world.
Have what fun you can; take care of yourself.
I look forward to all your posts.
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:34 pm

ReverendThom wrote:
Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:58 am
Just went for a drive to Sioux Narrows, ON and stopped in at the Northern Ontario Sportfishing Centre. Found a picture of ... Me!
Also found this cool posterImageImage

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
Wow!
That's pretty cool.

Poster's neat, too!

J.R.R. Tolkien

Roderick Haig-Brown

FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.

Post by FredS » Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:18 pm

This thread makes me happy. Unexpectedly finding a picture of yourself on the hero board at the local shop. Encouraging a friend to tie a fly again after a long layoff. Showing that fly to friends and encouraging them to give it a try. This is the good stuff peeps. Not as nice as seeing kids fish, but it's pretty close.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:25 pm

FredS wrote:
Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:18 pm
This thread makes me happy. Unexpectedly finding a picture of yourself on the hero board at the local shop. Encouraging a friend to tie a fly again after a long layoff. Showing that fly to friends and encouraging them to give it a try. This is the good stuff peeps. Not as nice as seeing kids fish, but it's pretty close.
Know what I like better than Fred's posts?

Not.
One.
Damn.
Thing.

:pipe3:

J.R.R. Tolkien

Roderick Haig-Brown

JudgeRusty

Post by JudgeRusty » Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:11 am

I felt a bit lost trying to fish for smallmouth this morning.
In a small river, do they prefer the flat water, eddies and weedbeds? Or do they prefer the runs where the current is swifter and the water might be deeper.
Some of the folks I spoke with sight fish, but I have not acquired a good set of polarized sunglasses yet (assuming I would know where to look).

JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:28 am

My son and grandson joined me for a kayak adventure yesterday. I tried to fish for big stuff and got skunked, but the boys had fun catching panfish and small bass. We only made it through half a day, though. The heat was aweful. It was nice throughout the morning, but about noon, or so, the clouds broke and the breeze stopped. Instant miserable. At one point our phones, inside shaded containers, were shutting off with heat warnings. We dropped them in a dry bag and set them in the water for a few minutes so they would start working again.

With all that thinking time I had while not catching fish I decided a few things:

McClelland 2000 Fragrant Cake is the perfect fishing tobacco. Minnows seem to enjoy the Dottie, too.

Next trip I'll try fly casting. I'm confident enough in the kayak now that I think I can do it and stay above the water.

I also decided the Johnson Beetle Spin is the greatest crankbait of all time (emphasis so the fly fishermen don't lynch me). I honestly believe I have caught more fish on those little beetles than all the other artificial baits put together. They work when nothing else will.

Finally, this chunk of plastic I fish from represents one of the best decisions I have ever made. Exercise, entertainment, stress management... and it's the best therapist I could imagine.

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:41 am

JudgeRusty wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:11 am
I felt a bit lost trying to fish for smallmouth this morning.
In a small river, do they prefer the flat water, eddies and weedbeds? Or do they prefer the runs where the current is swifter and the water might be deeper.
Some of the folks I spoke with sight fish, but I have not acquired a good set of polarized sunglasses yet (assuming I would know where to look).
Hey, a question I can actually help with and I have no time. Hopefully I can chime in later. The short answer is... "it depends." ;)
Sola Deo Gloria

FredS

Post by FredS » Tue Jul 04, 2017 5:11 pm

It's been a grey, rainy day here so we're holed up in the house. I've been tying flies all afternoon and Mrs FredS came in my office and sat down in a side chair. Then she looked at the fly rods in the corner and said "Uhm, how many poles do you have?" She counted eight (two were hidden out of sight behind the gun cabinet). So I showed her that two are broken on the tip top and need to go to the shop for repair. One is the old bamboo rod we took out of her grandfathers shed and I won't use it. One belonged to my father and needs repair and I can't use it. One is a crappy bamboo rod I bought at auction and needs repair so I can't use it. "So really dear, I only have three. *Brian has way more than me."

*Brian is my fishing buddy across the road. I hate to throw him under the bus like that, but his wife is laid up with a brain tumor so Mrs FredS probably will never mention it to her. Besides, I was in a jam and had to think of something quickly.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:19 pm

FredS wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2017 5:11 pm
It's been a grey, rainy day here so we're holed up in the house. I've been tying flies all afternoon and Mrs FredS came in my office and sat down in a side chair. Then she looked at the fly rods in the corner and said "Uhm, how many poles do you have?" She counted eight (two were hidden out of sight behind the gun cabinet). So I showed her that two are broken on the tip top and need to go to the shop for repair. One is the old bamboo rod we took out of her grandfathers shed and I won't use it. One belonged to my father and needs repair and I can't use it. One is a crappy bamboo rod I bought at auction and needs repair so I can't use it. "So really dear, I only have three. *Brian has way more than me."

*Brian is my fishing buddy across the road. I hate to throw him under the bus like that, but his wife is laid up with a brain tumor so Mrs FredS probably will never mention it to her. Besides, I was in a jam and had to think of something quickly.
Sorry to hear about your buddy's wife.
You will need to take him fishing, a lot, if she passes.

I know it saved my life when my first wife passed.

Feel free to tell her, "I know this guy on the CPS forum who has so many fly rods he can't begin to count them (honest, I only have a vague idea how many are stacked in the corner), and his wife is just fine with it."

Heck, Fred, you haven't even begun to gather up two-handers! Throw me under the bus. I don't think your wife can get to the front door before I can scram out the back. These days, my wife is even faster.

Meanwhile, I thought this belonged in this thread:

Roderick Haig-Brown, who said,

Wherever we go in the world we find other men speaking the same language, planning the same plans, dreaming the same dreams. And one of the big four - brownie, or brookie, cutthroat or rainbow - is the cause of it all . . .

J.R.R. Tolkien

Roderick Haig-Brown

Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed

Post by Bloodhound » Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:36 pm

Its been a struggle to figure out image hosting, but I think I have it so here are some overdue pics of my fishing on the Taylor River. The river was raging and only a small 10 inch rainbow was caught he jumped at the wooly bugger from some flooded grass. The river tore up 2 wooly buggers one down to bare hook.

The girls were more interested in the horse activities and they didn't fish...so a couple of pics of the river and one of some old guy thrashing the water with a vintage fiberglass Phillipson rod.

I will get back there this fall and hope to have better conditions...as always a bad day fishing is still a very good day
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD ...

Dlibbon
Elder
Elder

Post by Dlibbon » Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:10 pm

Family vacation from SC to PA. Got to throw some flies in the waters I learned to fish in as a kid. Landed two perch, a large mouth, and a bluegill all on the ol faithful wholly bigger.

Tomorrow I'm heading into the hills In search of some PA trout. Hopefully some good weather and dumb fish.

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:50 pm

Bloodhound wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:36 pm
Its been a struggle to figure out image hosting, but I think I have it so here are some overdue pics of my fishing on the Taylor River. The river was raging and only a small 10 inch rainbow was caught he jumped at the wooly bugger from some flooded grass. The river tore up 2 wooly buggers one down to bare hook.

The girls were more interested in the horse activities and they didn't fish...so a couple of pics of the river and one of some old guy thrashing the water with a vintage fiberglass Phillipson rod.

I will get back there this fall and hope to have better conditions...as always a bad day fishing is still a very good day
Glad to see your photos BH.
Wow! The Taylor was definitely what I would call "out!"

Glad you weren't totally skunked, but that looks like awfully tough fishing.

The Animas is coming down. The same old fishing buddy who got me out for a half day last summer is in town this week.
Hopefully a photo or two in s few days.

J.R.R. Tolkien

Roderick Haig-Brown

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:51 pm

Dlibbon wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:10 pm
Family vacation from SC to PA. Got to throw some flies in the waters I learned to fish in as a kid. Landed two perch, a large mouth, and a bluegill all on the ol faithful wholly bigger.

Tomorrow I'm heading into the hills In search of some PA trout. Hopefully some good weather and dumb fish.
Wooly buggers are hard to beat.
Good luck with those Pennsy trout.

J.R.R. Tolkien

Roderick Haig-Brown

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:56 pm

JimVH wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:28 am
My son and grandson joined me for a kayak adventure yesterday. I tried to fish for big stuff and got skunked, but the boys had fun catching panfish and small bass. We only made it through half a day, though. The heat was aweful. It was nice throughout the morning, but about noon, or so, the clouds broke and the breeze stopped. Instant miserable. At one point our phones, inside shaded containers, were shutting off with heat warnings. We dropped them in a dry bag and set them in the water for a few minutes so they would start working again.

With all that thinking time I had while not catching fish I decided a few things:

McClelland 2000 Fragrant Cake is the perfect fishing tobacco. Minnows seem to enjoy the Dottie, too.

Next trip I'll try fly casting. I'm confident enough in the kayak now that I think I can do it and stay above the water.

I also decided the Johnson Beetle Spin is the greatest crankbait of all time (emphasis so the fly fishermen don't lynch me). I honestly believe I have caught more fish on those little beetles than all the other artificial baits put together. They work when nothing else will.

Finally, this chunk of plastic I fish from represents one of the best decisions I have ever made. Exercise, entertainment, stress management... and it's the best therapist I could imagine.
Really glad to hear the kayaks have worked out so well, Jim.

“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.”
― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

J.R.R. Tolkien

Roderick Haig-Brown

jruegg
Mr. Eggs
Mr. Eggs

Post by jruegg » Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:11 pm