The fishing thread

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Re: The fishing thread

Post by durangopipe » Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:50 am

jruegg wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:11 pm
Out here the miners call that "lure" a DuPont Spinner.
Very effective, but not exactly sporting.
The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.

J.R.R. Tolkien

Wherever we go in the world we find other men speaking the same language...dreaming the same dreams. And one of the big four - brownie, or brookie, cutthroat or rainbow - is the cause of it all.

Roderick Haig-Brown

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:38 am

When Yugoslavia fell, the local fisherman got into the hand grenades and had pretty extraordinary success, I understand.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.

Post by FredS » Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:33 pm

I've been thinking about race and racial discord a lot this weekend. Last night a friend (actually an old CPS'er) posted a short documentary of the divide right here in Kansas City. This mornings sermon was about racial reconciliation and how the church is supposed to model it.

Then tonight, as we drove home from the baptism service at the lake, I saw five or six old, black men with their buckets and big ol' catfishing poles setting up on the rip rap for their summer evening/night ritual of fishing. I don't see many young black men fishing. I bet those old guys could teach the young guys a few things about fighting the white mans discrimination without burning down their neighborhoods. If the young men would just stop struggling long enough to listen. And maybe go night fishing once in a while.

"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:14 pm

The Animas River is down from over 4,000 CFS to 1000 CFS, not really very wadable but fishable with streamers and two-handed rods.

I just finished rigging a third switch rod for my upcoming morning on the Animas (Thursday) with an old fishing buddy who is in town. This is the same friend I got out with last summer. We'll have a mile or so of private water south of town and we'll be the only people there.

One rod is a 10' 6" bamboo rod rigged with a floating Scandinavian head and floating polyleader, just in case I see some eddy water where I think there's a chance to bring up a trout to a swung hopper. I did that once on a very light 4 wt. bamboo rod this same time of year at this same flow. Damn near broke the rod on a heavy brown trout.

Another is a 10' 9" graphite rod rigged with a Scandinavian head and a wallet with floating and sinking polyleaders for my buddy, who didn't bring a two-hander.

And the third rod is another graphite, an 11' 6" rod rigged with a Rio Switch Chucker line along with a tip wallet full of MOW floating and sinking tips.

I imagine none of this is comprehensible to new flyfishers, and many experienced flyfishers - it was partly the joy and challenge of all these strange new rods, lines and tips plus all new casting techniques that first drew me in.

I've put together two streamer wallets full of flies. One for me and one for my buddy.

We may not see a fish. But then, we may!
Like I said, once, under these conditions, I landed the biggest brown I've taken from the river.

I am so eager I can hardly stand it.
The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.

J.R.R. Tolkien

Wherever we go in the world we find other men speaking the same language...dreaming the same dreams. And one of the big four - brownie, or brookie, cutthroat or rainbow - is the cause of it all.

Roderick Haig-Brown

JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:38 pm

Muskie v. Pike - the power of determination.

A fellow posted this in a kayak group I follow on FB yesterday. I thought it was worth a look.

https://www.facebook.com/cody.wolters/videos/1349119578538223/

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:41 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:14 pm
The Animas River is down from over 4,000 CFS to 1000 CFS, not really very wadable but fishable with streamers and two-handed rods.

I just finished rigging a third switch rod for my upcoming morning on the Animas (Thursday) with an old fishing buddy who is in town. This is the same friend I got out with last summer. We'll have a mile or so of private water south of town and we'll be the only people there.

One rod is a 10' 6" bamboo rod rigged with a floating Scandinavian head and floating polyleader, just in case I see some eddy water where I think there's a chance to bring up a trout to a swung hopper. I did that once on a very light 4 wt. bamboo rod this same time of year at this same flow. Damn near broke the rod on a heavy brown trout.

Another is a 10' 9" graphite rod rigged with a Scandinavian head and a wallet with floating and sinking polyleaders for my buddy, who didn't bring a two-hander.

And the third rod is another graphite, an 11' 6" rod rigged with a Rio Switch Chucker line along with a tip wallet full of MOW floating and sinking tips.

I imagine none of this is comprehensible to new flyfishers, and many experienced flyfishers - it was partly the joy and challenge of all these strange new rods, lines and tips plus all new casting techniques that first drew me in.

I've put together two streamer wallets full of flies. One for me and one for my buddy.

We may not see a fish. But then, we may!
Like I said, once, under these conditions, I landed the biggest brown I've taken from the river.

I am so eager I can hardly stand it.
:chili: :chili: :chili:
Sola Deo Gloria

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:46 pm

JimVH wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:38 pm
Muskie v. Pike - the power of determination.

A fellow posted this in a kayak group I follow on FB yesterday. I thought it was worth a look.

https://www.facebook.com/cody.wolters/videos/1349119578538223/
Dang!
Well, I've often said that a good fly for pike would be one tied to imitate a poodle or a small child.

J.R.R. Tolkien

Roderick Haig-Brown

Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed

Post by Bloodhound » Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:49 am

DP
Glad you are getting out on the water.

Jim
WOW
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:54 am

WooHoo!
Yup, I got out on the water. It was a gorgeous day.

The fishing was tough - water still high, but the water temperature was perfect, 54 deg., and there should have been more action, but that's fishing. We each landed one trout and neither was particularly large or photo worthy.

But I do have a few photos to post.

My buddy, Jon, rigging up:

A hayfield adjacent to the river, covered with hoppers:

Jon Spey casting in the tailout of a riffle:

Selfie:

Yes, you caught me - I'm one week into growing a beard.

I fished a hopper - I was certain somebody would come up for it, but no. I swung streamers. Finally, I resorted to a caddis pupae nymph and got a fish. At least we weren't skunked!

But it sure was good to be out fishing on such a beautiful day.

This spot is 15 minutes from my home. I have miles and miles of Animas to fish that won't require much of a drive, and that's exactly what I intend to do, and I intend to do it all summer exclusively with a light bamboo Spey rod.

J.R.R. Tolkien

Roderick Haig-Brown

FredS

Post by FredS » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:02 am

There's only one thing I like more than seeing old men fishing.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

JimVH

Post by JimVH » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:20 am

Selfie:

The trout whisperer.

I'm grateful you got some rod time in, bud.

Bloodhound

Post by Bloodhound » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:55 pm

Looks like beautiful water, great weather. Glad you are back
Scott ( aka - Thor )

Dlibbon
Elder
Elder

Post by Dlibbon » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:55 pm

Driving back from vacation with the family. Had a special moment fishing the farm pond on my great grandfathers farm. Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:12 pm

Dlibbon wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:55 pm
Driving back from vacation with the family. Had a special moment fishing the farm pond on my great grandfathers farm. Image

Nice fish.
Even better "history!"

J.R.R. Tolkien

Roderick Haig-Brown

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:58 pm

Wow! Glad you're out and about DP.

I haven't posted much lately, super busy and such. Mrs Gabriel and I did get an evening to ourselves tonight and spent about 3 hours of it wading the Vermillion River for smallmouth and such. Good times.

Sola Deo Gloria

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:14 am

Gabriel wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:58 pm
Wow! Glad you're out and about DP.

I haven't posted much lately, super busy and such. Mrs Gabriel and I did get an evening to ourselves tonight and spent about 3 hours of it wading the Vermillion River for smallmouth and such. Good times.

Beautiful river, Gabriel.

J.R.R. Tolkien

Roderick Haig-Brown

JimVH

Post by JimVH » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:27 pm

Bloodhound

Post by Bloodhound » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:24 pm

JimVH wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:27 pm
Watch this without squirming. I dare you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PL2vwyCJQL8uYXKqEtWxQ_Q9_YU3Bn4n0M&v=zgfpsupmu98
I could have used this yesterday...wind knots in the tippit and a #16 dryfly hook in my forearm.
Scott ( aka - Thor )

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:44 pm

Took Ichi, Ni, and San to a local park to fish yesterday evening. Pan fish central. Ni hooked the first one and brought it right in. Soon, fish were being simultaneously caught and I'm hopping in between because my wife, though fishing expeditions were part and parcel of her childhood, had always had a native to do all of the actual work and couldn't remove the hook without killing fish.

Twenty-one Pan fish caught in an hour and a half. Two bail reels tangled twice in the excitement. My wife exceeded my expectations, untangling my rod and rethreading it rather expertly, except for the fact she didn't put it under the bail so it was still useless. But still, good times.

The kids, as they say, are hooked. Angry we didn't keep them. Claudia said we were just playing with our food.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

FredS

Post by FredS » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:00 pm

^^ I'm doing my happy dance. (Not really. In fact, I don't have a happy dance. But I have a dancing taco which is just as good.) :taco: