The fishing thread

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
wosbald
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent

Re: The fishing thread

Post by wosbald » Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:47 am

+JMJ+

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0uNhsLmGWA
Fishing Planet isn’t just another game about fishing, but a true-to-life fishing simulator that’s coming to PS4 on August 29th! The combination of stunning eye-candy graphics, superb hydro and aerodynamics, realistic tackle behavior and damage and, most importantly, fish with artificial intelligence for completely lifelike behavior bring the realistic world of fishing directly to your screen. Choose your lures, make your trophy catches, discover new possibilities and sharpen your real angling skills anywhere, anytime with your friends.

"In the end, My Immaculate Heart will triumph." - Our Lady of Fatima

Dlibbon
Elder
Elder

Post by Dlibbon » Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:58 pm

Crushed it this morning. Best time on the water in a long time. Including that 20" hog of a reddish which hit the artificial so hard it almost broke my rod. Love late summer fishing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:58 pm

:chili:
Sola Deo Gloria

sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by sweetandsour » Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:34 pm

Dlibbon wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:58 pm

Crushed it this morning. Best time on the water in a long time. Including that 20" hog of a reddish which hit the artificial so hard it almost broke my rod. Love late summer fishing.

Nice red, would just be legal here. What bridge is that? There's lots of new ones since I was there.
As thus we sat in darkness
Each one busy with his prayers,
"We are lost!" the captain shouted,
As he staggered down the stairs.

O love the Lord, all ye His saints: for the Lord preserveth the faithful. Psalm 31:23

Dlibbon
Elder
Elder

Post by Dlibbon » Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:25 pm

[/quote]

Nice red, would just be legal here. What bridge is that? There's lots of new ones since I was there.
[/quote]

That's 526 over the Ashley River. It's a sweet spot when the tides are crazy.

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:35 pm

Dlibbon wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:25 pm
[/quote]

That's 526 over the Ashley River. It's a sweet spot when the tides are crazy.
[/quote]

I thought so. "Ashley River Bridge", we simply called it, back in the '80s. We used to pull pocketed seines for shrimp at night along the shoreline on the west side. I learned quickly to wade in the puff mud, being an old duck hunter, etc. But a couple of the other guys always had trouble. By the way, I notice you aren't referring to redfish as "spot tail bass".
As thus we sat in darkness
Each one busy with his prayers,
"We are lost!" the captain shouted,
As he staggered down the stairs.

O love the Lord, all ye His saints: for the Lord preserveth the faithful. Psalm 31:23

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by durangopipe » Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:33 am

Dlibbon wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:58 pm

Great photos, Dlibbon.
Sounds like a terrific day!
The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.

J.R.R. Tolkien

Wherever we go in the world we find other men speaking the same language...dreaming the same dreams. And one of the big four - brownie, or brookie, cutthroat or rainbow - is the cause of it all.

Roderick Haig-Brown

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:41 pm

The weather was too beautiful not to sneak out for a bit after dinner. No huge special trip, but 90 minutes up at the local "lake." My daughter got chilly and raided my truck for a shirt and hat...
Sola Deo Gloria

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:50 pm

Gabriel wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:41 pm
The weather was too beautiful not to sneak out for a bit after dinner. No huge special trip, but 90 minutes up at the local "lake." My daughter got chilly and raided my truck for a shirt and hat...
That hat makes your daughter look very British.
Now all we need to do is get a bamboo Spey rod in her hands!

Got any salmon rivers in Illinois?
The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.

J.R.R. Tolkien

Wherever we go in the world we find other men speaking the same language...dreaming the same dreams. And one of the big four - brownie, or brookie, cutthroat or rainbow - is the cause of it all.

Roderick Haig-Brown

Dlibbon
Elder
Elder

The fishing thread

Post by Dlibbon » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:39 am

Anyone bending a rod this Labor Day???

Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed

Post by Bloodhound » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:52 am

Dlibbon
Glad you got out.

We stayed around the house and worked on projects. Seems like we were busy, but in looking at the list of projects, I was only able to check 2 of them off as completed...Should have just gone fishing.
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.

Post by FredS » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:25 am

Bloodhound wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:52 am
...Should have just gone fishing.
You whippersnappers should listen to Bloodhound. That's some good great life advice right there and the sooner you learn it the happier you'll be.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

FredS

Post by FredS » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:38 am

The grands went camping last weekend. Toured the local fish hatchery. Got to 'fish' in a holding pond. There's no fooling kids, and they decided it wasn't really that enjoyable and quit after 15 minutes or so. Like fishing in a barrel (except they didn't catch anything).

This guy killed all the worms. He may or may not have licked one on a dare. He said they "don't taste like anything".
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:40 pm

I do have some more interesting pics/stories to post later, but first the bad news...

One of our fly rods has unfortunately had the tip snap off. :( Just the last guide at the end and several inches below. How much will the casting/performance suffer if I simply trim down to the next guide and fish it the way it is? Also, any suggestions for "finishing" the snapped end?

Advice is most welcomed.
Sola Deo Gloria

Pepik
Working as Intended

Post by Pepik » Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:34 pm

Rgrds,
Joe

"I'm an alarmingly happy and optimistic person" - A_Morley
"I drank what?" - Socrates

FredS

Post by FredS » Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:43 pm

I'm surprised it took this long Gabriel. I've broken three over the last decade. I took one that was broken at the very tip to my local fly shop and Matt pulled out a plastic box of parts from under the counter and fixed it for me over a cup of coffee. He had a few emery boards in his kit that he used to sand off the frayed bit and a little of the coating on the outside. He used some Bohning Ferr-L-Tite hot glue and stuck a new guide on. Easy peasy. (And free.) I suppose if I was a good fly caster, I would notice the 1 1/2" difference, but I'm not, so I don't.

My other busted ones are cheapies from the big box outdoor stores and I've never gotten around to fixing them. I figure one of these days I'll have a pile big enough to build a couple rods out of but for now they're just resting in the corner of a closet.

An interesting side note is that one time, a few weeks after my buddy and I'd returned from a fishing trip he called to ask if I had a mismatched rod. I checked and sure enough, we'd somehow managed to swap tip sections when we retrieved our gear from the back of his Jeep. We had both used the rods in the interim and neither of us noticed it until he was cleaning his. A bamboo rod I retrieved from my wife's grandfathers shed when he died is a combination of sections from different rods. So it pays to keep all your bit's and pieces because you never know if you might find a functional replacement in your junk pile.
Last edited by FredS on Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FredS

Post by FredS » Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:50 pm

Speaking of busted fishing gear. One time, when Zed lived nearby, we planned an outing to fly fish a few hours in the morning and then go to the KC Pipe Show. He hadn't fished in a few years and when he got out his reel he found the wood handle was broken. It was a Bass Pro reel, and there was a Bass Pro Shop on the way to town so we stopped in to see if he could buy a new handle. Instead, the replaced the whole thing. Even took the line off the old reel and wound it on the new one. No charge.

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:50 pm

If I had taken a little more care right away, I might could have reattached the tip end. As it is, it is broken off at the next guide:

I'll see if I can track down an upper section sometime. In the meantime we have an abundance of spinning rods.

Sola Deo Gloria

FredS

Post by FredS » Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:57 pm

Yeah, piecing together a Frankenstein rod isn't ideal because even if the sections match in size, they probably won't be matched in action. But it's never a bad idea to have a back up or two.

Skip
Everything in Moderatoration
Everything in Moderatoration

Post by Skip » Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:44 pm

I haven't gone fishing for a few years. Lately, I've been having dreams about fishing. WTH?
2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 Winner of the CPS Award: "Most Likely to be Found Without Pants at Any Given Moment"

"No man is peer to Skip, peasant." -A_Morley