The fishing thread

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Post Reply
User avatar
hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy
Posts: 14545
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:00 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: The fishing thread

Post by hugodrax » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:17 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:54 am
WooHoo!
Yup, I got out on the water. It was a gorgeous day.

The fishing was tough - water still high, but the water temperature was perfect, 54 deg., and there should have been more action, but that's fishing. We each landed one trout and neither was particularly large or photo worthy.

But I do have a few photos to post.

My buddy, Jon, rigging up:
Image

A hayfield adjacent to the river, covered with hoppers:
Image

Jon Spey casting in the tailout of a riffle:
Image

Selfie:
Image

Yes, you caught me - I'm one week into growing a beard.

I fished a hopper - I was certain somebody would come up for it, but no. I swung streamers. Finally, I resorted to a caddis pupae nymph and got a fish. At least we weren't skunked!

But it sure was good to be out fishing on such a beautiful day.

This spot is 15 minutes from my home. I have miles and miles of Animas to fish that won't require much of a drive, and that's exactly what I intend to do, and I intend to do it all summer exclusively with a light bamboo Spey rod.
Just saw this. So happy for you.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

User avatar
durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Posts: 4243
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:58 pm
Location: Southwest Colorado

Re: The fishing thread

Post by durangopipe » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:16 pm

hugodrax wrote: Just saw this. So happy for you.
Thanks, drax.
Definitely a spirit booster.

The river is coming down. I hope to get out often.
The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.

J.R.R. Tolkien



Wherever we go in the world we find other men speaking the same language...dreaming the same dreams. And one of the big four - brownie, or brookie, cutthroat or rainbow - is the cause of it all.

Roderick Haig-Brown

User avatar
hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy
Posts: 14545
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:00 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: The fishing thread

Post by hugodrax » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:07 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:16 pm
hugodrax wrote: Just saw this. So happy for you.
Thanks, drax.
Definitely a spirit booster.

The river is coming down. I hope to get out often.
My hope for you as well. You have been particularly inspirational, among so many others here, to get me back out fishing and wingshooting. Joys of my rural childhood were just put away with city life. The kids deserve the same experience. Frankly, we all deserve fishy fingers.

It's been tough fully enjoying it knowing you could not. I'm glad you're getting out there some.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

User avatar
TwoXseveN
I'm the Sassy One
Posts: 11756
Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Holland MI.
Contact:

Re: The fishing thread

Post by TwoXseveN » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:29 pm

Had some cold water move in last night that made me hopeful we could nab a salmon or two early this morning. Unfortunately the cold water was all gone by the time we got on the water at 5am.

Nothing to show for our outing other than a peaceful photo from a beautiful foggy morning on Lake Michigan :)

Image
I'm what some CPS'ers have called, "Better than advertised".

User avatar
hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy
Posts: 14545
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:00 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: The fishing thread

Post by hugodrax » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:32 pm

TwoXseveN wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:29 pm
Had some cold water move in last night that made me hopeful we could nab a salmon or two early this morning. Unfortunately the cold water was all gone by the time we got on the water at 5am.

Nothing to show for our outing other than a peaceful photo from a beautiful foggy morning on Lake Michigan :)

Image
Wow. Could be worse, eh?
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

User avatar
TwoXseveN
I'm the Sassy One
Posts: 11756
Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Holland MI.
Contact:

Re: The fishing thread

Post by TwoXseveN » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:52 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:32 pm
TwoXseveN wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:29 pm
Had some cold water move in last night that made me hopeful we could nab a salmon or two early this morning. Unfortunately the cold water was all gone by the time we got on the water at 5am.

Nothing to show for our outing other than a peaceful photo from a beautiful foggy morning on Lake Michigan :)

Image
Wow. Could be worse, eh?
Absolutely. Was a great morning :)
I'm what some CPS'ers have called, "Better than advertised".

User avatar
Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Posts: 20857
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Ad Orientem

Re: The fishing thread

Post by Thunktank » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:56 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:32 pm
TwoXseveN wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:29 pm
Had some cold water move in last night that made me hopeful we could nab a salmon or two early this morning. Unfortunately the cold water was all gone by the time we got on the water at 5am.

Nothing to show for our outing other than a peaceful photo from a beautiful foggy morning on Lake Michigan :)

Image
Wow. Could be worse, eh?
Cool! Were you trolling?

I went out with son 2 yesterday evening to fish in the surf. We didn't get anything either, but it sure was nice to get out for a couple of hours. We were supposed to get out daily, so much for my plans!

User avatar
Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed
Posts: 5804
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: Rocky Mountains / Colorado
Contact:

Re: The fishing thread

Post by Bloodhound » Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:24 pm

Beautiful pic
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

User avatar
Dlibbon
Elder
Elder
Posts: 717
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2004 6:00 pm
Location: Charleston SC
Contact:

Re: The fishing thread

Post by Dlibbon » Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:15 pm

Thunktank wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:56 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:32 pm
TwoXseveN wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:29 pm
Had some cold water move in last night that made me hopeful we could nab a salmon or two early this morning. Unfortunately the cold water was all gone by the time we got on the water at 5am.

Nothing to show for our outing other than a peaceful photo from a beautiful foggy morning on Lake Michigan :)

Image
Wow. Could be worse, eh?
Cool! Were you trolling?

I went out with son 2 yesterday evening to fish in the surf. We didn't get anything either, but it sure was nice to get out for a couple of hours. We were supposed to get out daily, so much for my plans!
I could use a "beautiful foggy morning on Lake Michigan" right about now.

User avatar
TwoXseveN
I'm the Sassy One
Posts: 11756
Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Holland MI.
Contact:

Re: The fishing thread

Post by TwoXseveN » Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:31 pm

Thunktank wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:56 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:32 pm
TwoXseveN wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:29 pm
Had some cold water move in last night that made me hopeful we could nab a salmon or two early this morning. Unfortunately the cold water was all gone by the time we got on the water at 5am.

Nothing to show for our outing other than a peaceful photo from a beautiful foggy morning on Lake Michigan :)

Image
Wow. Could be worse, eh?
Cool! Were you trolling?

I went out with son 2 yesterday evening to fish in the surf. We didn't get anything either, but it sure was nice to get out for a couple of hours. We were supposed to get out daily, so much for my plans!
Trolled, threw out a few bobbers, bottom fished. Tried darn near everything.
I'm what some CPS'ers have called, "Better than advertised".

User avatar
Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed
Posts: 5804
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: Rocky Mountains / Colorado
Contact:

Re: The fishing thread

Post by Bloodhound » Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:24 am

This had slipped to page two. So I thought I would post a pic of an old guy fishing the Blue River in Colorado in the Silverthorne city limits. And the go to rig, Fenwick FF805 and a Medalist 1494. Also gives me a chance to try the new image hosting site.
Image
Image
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

User avatar
JudgeRusty
Didn't even get to wear his hat
Didn't even get to wear his hat
Posts: 5550
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:00 pm
Location: VA

Re: The fishing thread

Post by JudgeRusty » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:53 am

Bloodhound wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:24 am
This had slipped to page two. So I thought I would post a pic of an old guy fishing the Blue River in Colorado in the Silverthorne city limits. And the go to rig, Fenwick FF805 and a Medalist 1494. Also gives me a chance to try the new image hosting site.
Image
Image
I had a steak at The Historic Mint a time or two in Silverthorne. Is that the same "Blue River" that the community between Breckenridge and Hoosier Pass is named for?
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal

User avatar
Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed
Posts: 5804
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: Rocky Mountains / Colorado
Contact:

Re: The fishing thread

Post by Bloodhound » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:16 am

The Mint Country Club....I know it well from when I lived up there (Breckenridge). You are correct the town of Blue River (not much there) was named for the river and it was the original gold camp in the area, before Breckenridge and Alma and the others
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

User avatar
durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Posts: 4243
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:58 pm
Location: Southwest Colorado

Re: The fishing thread

Post by durangopipe » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:32 pm

Bloodhound wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:24 am
This had slipped to page two. So I thought I would post a pic of an old guy fishing the Blue River in Colorado in the Silverthorne city limits. And the go to rig, Fenwick FF805 and a Medalist 1494. Also gives me a chance to try the new image hosting site.
Image
Image
Nice rig, Bloodhound!

Only place I ever fished the Blue was on the Elktrout water - really wonderful river!

Also got to fish Troublesome Creek on that trip. One of our guides at the time had been a guide at Elktrout and was able to get us on their water for a few days free of charge.
The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.

J.R.R. Tolkien



Wherever we go in the world we find other men speaking the same language...dreaming the same dreams. And one of the big four - brownie, or brookie, cutthroat or rainbow - is the cause of it all.

Roderick Haig-Brown

User avatar
sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Posts: 7652
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Bayou Self
Contact:

Re: The fishing thread

Post by sweetandsour » Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:10 am

Very nice, Bloodhound!

It's been a pretty rough July for us (grandsons and I). A few keepers but mostly pretty slow or all small fish. Some good adventures, though. My oldest caught a seagull on a topwater lure, which was interesting, getting treble hooks out of a large flapping bird. It ended up being pretty cooperative actually, never pecking me at all.
More interesting than that, was when a line broke with fish on, and we chased the popping cork, which would dip under water every few seconds. It reminded us of Jaws, and we were debating what to do in case it turned out to be a shark. Finally the fish got off, and we retreaved the cork and hook, not ever knowing what it was that broke our line and gave us chase.
As thus we sat in darkness
Each one busy with his prayers,
"We are lost!" the captain shouted,
As he staggered down the stairs.

O love the Lord, all ye His saints: for the Lord preserveth the faithful. Psalm 31:23

User avatar
JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Posts: 19832
Joined: Sun May 18, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.
Contact:

Re: The fishing thread

Post by JimVH » Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:11 am

sweetandsour wrote:
Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:10 am
Very nice, Bloodhound!

It's been a pretty rough July for us (grandsons and I). A few keepers but mostly pretty slow or all small fish. Some good adventures, though. My oldest caught a seagull on a topwater lure, which was interesting, getting treble hooks out of a large flapping bird. It ended up being pretty cooperative actually, never pecking me at all.
More interesting than that, was when a line broke with fish on, and we chased the popping cork, which would dip under water every few seconds. It reminded us of Jaws, and we were debating what to do in case it turned out to be a shark. Finally the fish got off, and we retreaved the cork and hook, not ever knowing what it was that broke our line and gave us chase.
Good stories they will tell forever.
"When God closes a door, just open it again. It's a door. That's how they work." FredS

User avatar
durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Posts: 4243
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:58 pm
Location: Southwest Colorado

Re: The fishing thread

Post by durangopipe » Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:44 am

JimVH wrote:
Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:11 am
sweetandsour wrote:
Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:10 am
Very nice, Bloodhound!

It's been a pretty rough July for us (grandsons and I). A few keepers but mostly pretty slow or all small fish. Some good adventures, though. My oldest caught a seagull on a topwater lure, which was interesting, getting treble hooks out of a large flapping bird. It ended up being pretty cooperative actually, never pecking me at all.
More interesting than that, was when a line broke with fish on, and we chased the popping cork, which would dip under water every few seconds. It reminded us of Jaws, and we were debating what to do in case it turned out to be a shark. Finally the fish got off, and we retreaved the cork and hook, not ever knowing what it was that broke our line and gave us chase.
Good stories they will tell forever.
Yup!
Sometimes, catching a good story is better than catching a fish.
The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.

J.R.R. Tolkien



Wherever we go in the world we find other men speaking the same language...dreaming the same dreams. And one of the big four - brownie, or brookie, cutthroat or rainbow - is the cause of it all.

Roderick Haig-Brown

User avatar
Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed
Posts: 5804
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: Rocky Mountains / Colorado
Contact:

Re: The fishing thread

Post by Bloodhound » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:54 am

My wife has a short trip planed, leaving me at home this weekend. I should be planning how I am going to get the base molding painted and cut and installed in the living room...but...I am thinking if I get it painted Friday night, there is no way it will be ready to cut and install Saturday.

So the planning is for a trip to the Bear Creek headwaters in the Mt. Evans SWA. :chili:
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

User avatar
TwoXseveN
I'm the Sassy One
Posts: 11756
Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Holland MI.
Contact:

Re: The fishing thread

Post by TwoXseveN » Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:56 pm

My dad decided he wants to take up fly fishing, so I get to show him the ropes this weekend.

How cool is that (albeit backwards)? ... teaching your old man how to fly fish!
I'm what some CPS'ers have called, "Better than advertised".

User avatar
FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.
Really, really likes watching kids fish.
Posts: 19237
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Kansas City

Re: The fishing thread

Post by FredS » Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:35 pm

^^ nice
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Post Reply