The fishing thread

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Re: The fishing thread

Post by JimVH » Sat May 13, 2017 8:22 pm

Death by Fishing

Hockeyboy decided we were losing too much fishing time moving from spot to spot on foot. So, in the interest of increasing our efficiency, and I suspect expediting his inheritance, he added some bags to our bikes. We hit the trails first thing this morning and stayed at it all day. I don't know how many miles we covered, but it had to be a bunch. I have never worked so physically hard to catch fish in my life. My joints ache, my back hurts, and I don't think I can even lift my feet.

It was freakin' awesome.

Our rigs:
ImageImage

Gratuitous selfie:

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by durangopipe » Sat May 13, 2017 10:40 pm

JimVH wrote:It was freakin' awesome.
I'll say.
WooHoo!
The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.

J.R.R. Tolkien

Wherever we go in the world we find other men speaking the same language...dreaming the same dreams. And one of the big four - brownie, or brookie, cutthroat or rainbow - is the cause of it all.

Roderick Haig-Brown

ReverendThom
A Mari Usque Ad Mare
A Mari Usque Ad Mare

Post by ReverendThom » Sat May 13, 2017 10:45 pm

That's great, Jim!

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

“I believe that many who find that "nothing happens" when they sit down, or kneel down, to a book of devotion, would find that the heart sings unbidden while they are working their way through a tough bit of theology with a pipe in their teeth and a pencil in their hand.”

― C.S. Lewis, On the Incarnation

Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado

Post by Thunktank » Sun May 14, 2017 8:38 am

ReverendThom wrote:
Sat May 13, 2017 10:45 pm
That's great, Jim!

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk
Yep.

FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.

Post by FredS » Sun May 14, 2017 4:38 pm

I think I like this Hockeyboy guy.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Sun May 14, 2017 9:19 pm

Went up to a local pond tonight with Nikki and the kids. Nikki snapped a few pics of me, kinda fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sola Deo Gloria

JimVH

Post by JimVH » Sun May 14, 2017 9:21 pm

Awesome pics, Gabe.

Thunktank

Post by Thunktank » Sun May 14, 2017 10:15 pm

Hey Fred, there's lots of good here in this thread.

Thunktank

Post by Thunktank » Sun May 14, 2017 10:20 pm

Gabriel wrote:
Sun May 14, 2017 9:19 pm
Went up to a local pond tonight with Nikki and the kids. Nikki snapped a few pics of me, kinda fun.

I was listening to something on NPR a couple of weeks ago from folks in the Midwest and how they wish they could share with us coasties the beauty of their midwestern lands. I think you are, Gabe.

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Sun May 14, 2017 11:36 pm

Great photos, Gabriel.
Nice, high backcast!
The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.

J.R.R. Tolkien

Wherever we go in the world we find other men speaking the same language...dreaming the same dreams. And one of the big four - brownie, or brookie, cutthroat or rainbow - is the cause of it all.

Roderick Haig-Brown

FredS

Post by FredS » Mon May 15, 2017 6:46 am

Thunktank wrote:
Sun May 14, 2017 10:15 pm
Hey Fred, there's lots of good here in this thread.
Now that you mention it, the fishing threads have remained fairly pure. Probably because they're distilled even further than CPS in general so the posters are pretty much carbon copies of one another.

Thanks for the reminder thunk. :pie:

EDIT: Still, let a tournament bass fisherman loose in here and I bet he'd be ripped to shreds. It'd make the Uncle Bob vs Del dust-up(s) look like a garden party.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

FredS

Post by FredS » Mon May 15, 2017 8:50 pm

I just saw an ad by Hell's Bay Boatworks that reads "Talk to your kids about fly fishing. Before somebody else does."

JimVH

Post by JimVH » Wed May 17, 2017 4:04 pm

I took an unhealthy level of joy from out-fishing Hockeyboy last weekend. I usually don't care. Heck, I usually would rather the kids catch all the fish, but the little fart was relentless in teasing me about my "antique" fishing tackle. Every fish I caught that day was on old crank baits and jigs I bought as far back as jr. high.

That'll show the little punk. Old farts rule.

Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed

Post by Bloodhound » Tue May 23, 2017 10:17 am

We have had some "Colorado Spring" weather here the last 3 weeks, heavy snow twice, and a hail storm...welcome to Springtime in the Rockies. All the rivers and streams resemble chocolate milk. We are headed to the Western Slope for the long weekend and they are talking light rain most of the weekend. I am hoping to hit some small streams and maybe find one or two clear or at least kind of clear pools and runs.
Planning to go old school, with a Wright McGill Sweetheart 8 foot glass rod and a Shakespeare Tru-Art Automatic fly reel.
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Tue May 23, 2017 10:32 am

Bloodhound wrote:
Tue May 23, 2017 10:17 am
We have had some "Colorado Spring" weather here the last 3 weeks, heavy snow twice, and a hail storm...welcome to Springtime in the Rockies. All the rivers and streams resemble chocolate milk. We are headed to the Western Slope for the long weekend and they are talking light rain most of the weekend. I am hoping to hit some small streams and maybe find one or two clear or at least kind of clear pools and runs.
Planning to go old school, with a Wright McGill Sweetheart 8 foot glass rod and a Shakespeare Tru-Art Automatic fly reel.
Post how it goes, Bloodhound. Nothing around here is even close to fishable. Might be one of those good old-fashioned years when the mountain streams don't come in until after the Fourth of July.

J.R.R. Tolkien

Roderick Haig-Brown

Dlibbon
Elder
Elder

Post by Dlibbon » Thu May 25, 2017 5:23 pm

Ok need advice: heading to a lake notorious for good catfish. I have never fished for cats and don't have the first clue what I need or how to go about it. Time of day? Etc. and pointers would help.

FredS

Post by FredS » Thu May 25, 2017 5:33 pm

Dlibbon wrote:
Thu May 25, 2017 5:23 pm
Ok need advice: heading to a lake notorious for good catfish. I have never fished for cats and don't have the first clue what I need or how to go about it. Time of day? Etc. and pointers would help.

Throw big meat for big fish. Chicken livers, blue gill, crawdads, or stink bait on large treble hooks were de rigueur when I was a young man and went after catfish. We used big fiberglass outfits with spinning reels that make it easier to throw heavy rigs. We called them 'river rods'. You might have to use a sort of underhand toss to keep from sending the juicy hunk of bait flying half way across the lake/river without the hook. Fishermen often fish for cats at night but I think that has as much to do with the fisherman's comfort and available free time as much as anything.

I always say the best time to fish is when you can. If your schedule is wide open then check with the local bait shop about best times. If you have to work around family or work engagements then just go when you can.

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Sat May 27, 2017 8:10 pm

Local lake. Sunset. Midwest fly fishing.

Sola Deo Gloria

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Sun May 28, 2017 10:01 am

Gabriel wrote:
Sat May 27, 2017 8:10 pm
Local lake. Sunset. Midwest fly fishing.

Man, that's nice.

J.R.R. Tolkien

Roderick Haig-Brown

FredS

Post by FredS » Sun May 28, 2017 10:29 am

Nice pic Gabriel. I know pictures don't do justice to a sunset, but that one still looks pretty nice. Mrs Gabriel must have a really nice camera.
___________________________________________________________________________________________
I don't know if I've ever mentioned it, but I like to see kids fishing. A lot. Yesterday I saw two boys fishing. The first was awesome, the second was heartbreaking.

I hauled a load to the dump early yesterday morning and my drive took me past a neighborhood retention pond. An ugly rectangle-shaped pond that is perhaps 200' x 100', at the rear of a housing development. There are two large signs that say "Not Trespassing. No Swimming, No fishing." They even have the barred circle icons so people who can't read English will get the message. There was a bicycle laying on the hill and an 8-10 year old boy fishing the other side. He was releasing a 4" panfish when I drove by. I loved it. Not only was the boy fishing, but he was - in essence - giving a big F U to the nervous nellies of the home owners association who put up the sign. My kind of kid.

Later, I was at the local Bass Pro shop spending some gift cards someone had given me. I picked up a package of dubbing while I was there and saw a line in the fishing department. There was a boy (the same age range as the other one) standing next to a blue plastic swimming pool full of fish. He had also caught a 4" panfish. He was holding it up so his father could snap a picture with his cell phone and they were both happy and smiling. Then they handed off the borrowed gear so an employee could return the fish to the pool and hand the rod to the next kid in line. It was a sad sight.