The fishing thread

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Re: The fishing thread

Post by Gabriel » Sun May 28, 2017 3:43 pm

FredS wrote:
Sun May 28, 2017 10:29 am
Nice pic Gabriel. I know pictures don't do justice to a sunset, but that one still looks pretty nice. Mrs Gabriel must have a really nice camera.
___________________________________________________________________________________________
Pictures rarely do, but this comes close. She's decided that taking pictures of me fishing is more fun than fishing, apparently. She's just using her iPhone (6s). Good fun.
Sola Deo Gloria

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Sun May 28, 2017 3:49 pm

FredS wrote:
Sun May 28, 2017 10:29 am

I hauled a load to the dump early yesterday morning and my drive took me past a neighborhood retention pond. An ugly rectangle-shaped pond that is perhaps 200' x 100', at the rear of a housing development. There are two large signs that say "Not Trespassing. No Swimming, No fishing." They even have the barred circle icons so people who can't read English will get the message. There was a bicycle laying on the hill and an 8-10 year old boy fishing the other side. He was releasing a 4" panfish when I drove by. I loved it. Not only was the boy fishing, but he was - in essence - giving a big F U to the nervous nellies of the home owners association who put up the sign. My kind of kid.

Later, I was at the local Bass Pro shop spending some gift cards someone had given me. I picked up a package of dubbing while I was there and saw a line in the fishing department. There was a boy (the same age range as the other one) standing next to a blue plastic swimming pool full of fish. He had also caught a 4" panfish. He was holding it up so his father could snap a picture with his cell phone and they were both happy and smiling. Then they handed off the borrowed gear so an employee could return the fish to the pool and hand the rod to the next kid in line. It was a sad sight.
I hear ya. A couple years ago nikki and I were fishing on the spillway at a nearby lake. The back side of the spillway is a steep drop and is fenced off with several "no fishing" signs. After a while 3 boys show up, maybe 10-12 years old. They putter around for a bit, then climb the fence and climb down the bank. They were actually non-foul mouthed boys and had a great time. Fishing, hunting for "cool stuff" and generally being boys. So much fun to see.
Sola Deo Gloria

JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Sun May 28, 2017 8:25 pm

Tried a little catfishing this evening. I caught a nap. Justin caught a tape measure.

Yes, a tape measure.
"When God closes a door, just open it again. It's a door. That's how they work." FredS

ReverendThom
A Mari Usque Ad Mare
A Mari Usque Ad Mare

Re: RE: Re: The fishing thread

Post by ReverendThom » Sun May 28, 2017 8:59 pm

JimVH wrote:Tried a little catfishing this evening. I caught a nap. Justin caught a tape measure.

Yes, a tape measure.
Nice.
I've caught a lawn chair, tire, and grocery cart.

My brother caught a gull when we were kids. It flew right into his hook mid-air.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

“I believe that many who find that "nothing happens" when they sit down, or kneel down, to a book of devotion, would find that the heart sings unbidden while they are working their way through a tough bit of theology with a pipe in their teeth and a pencil in their hand.”

― C.S. Lewis, On the Incarnation

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Sun May 28, 2017 10:12 pm

We were in the Laurel Highlands today and stopped at a trout farm and pay fishing hole. They must have starved these fish--we left with eleven inside forty five minutes. Ichi, Ni, and San went bananas. I've struggled fishing with them because of a lack of success--this taught them they could do it.

I think they're on board now.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado

Post by Thunktank » Mon May 29, 2017 11:02 am

Took the boys trout fishing this morning. Not even a nibble. Now we're sitting down to brunch before heading back down the mountain. No one else was catching anything either.

FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.

Post by FredS » Mon May 29, 2017 1:22 pm

Lotta kid fishing going on today.

I tagged along with my grand kids to the fishing derby in their lake neighborhood this morning. The oldest boy, who's 8, finally has the hang of casting and he was sailing that thing half way across the duck pond where the derby was. His sister was catching bluegill in close and his mom and dad were having fits because he kept reeling in so he could make another cast. Finally I asked him if he'd be OK if he didn't catch a fish. When he said he wouldn't I told him to fish in close to the weeds. He did, and he caught a fish. Then he went back to his chuck it and reel method. I think he's ready for lures or flies.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

ReverendThom
A Mari Usque Ad Mare
A Mari Usque Ad Mare

Post by ReverendThom » Mon May 29, 2017 9:26 pm

Putting the boat in the water on Saturday :taco:

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

“I believe that many who find that "nothing happens" when they sit down, or kneel down, to a book of devotion, would find that the heart sings unbidden while they are working their way through a tough bit of theology with a pipe in their teeth and a pencil in their hand.”

― C.S. Lewis, On the Incarnation

Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed

Post by Bloodhound » Tue May 30, 2017 8:55 am

Sounds like some had fun on the water. We had rain, snow, hail and a little sun. A good weekend, but the fish were all safe...never got the rods out of the truck. We did some shooting and some wandering, saw a cow moose with her calf. It was a good trip...as good as a trip with no fishing can be...... :)
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by durangopipe » Wed May 31, 2017 7:39 pm

Our weather has been great, but all the rivers here are roaring and the mountain streams are still buried in snow.

I've been practicing my Scandinavian style casting out on the front lawn "Casting Club;" mostly, with a light Farlow's cane two-handed rod I hope to use for streamer fishing and twitching hoppers this summer, maybe even nymphing hopper/dropper.

This rod loves a 310gr. 31' Scandi shooting head. That's in the 4wt. Spey line neighborhood.

I'll feel like an idiot if I hook some 10" trout with this rig, but if I manage to get into some of the better fish in the river it'll feel a bit like salmon fishing.
The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.

J.R.R. Tolkien

Wherever we go in the world we find other men speaking the same language...dreaming the same dreams. And one of the big four - brownie, or brookie, cutthroat or rainbow - is the cause of it all.

Roderick Haig-Brown

JimVH
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Wed May 31, 2017 8:27 pm

Everything about that photo is spectacular.
"When God closes a door, just open it again. It's a door. That's how they work." FredS

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Wed May 31, 2017 8:36 pm

Thanks, Jim. :pipe:
The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.

J.R.R. Tolkien

Wherever we go in the world we find other men speaking the same language...dreaming the same dreams. And one of the big four - brownie, or brookie, cutthroat or rainbow - is the cause of it all.

Roderick Haig-Brown

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Wed May 31, 2017 8:38 pm

JimVH wrote:
Wed May 31, 2017 8:27 pm
Everything about that photo is spectacular.
Amen to that
Sola Deo Gloria

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Wed May 31, 2017 8:51 pm

Thank you as well, Gabriel.
I might add, that pipe (a Comoy's bent bulldog) was my first.

My son gave it to me for Father's Day a little over 20 years ago.

J.R.R. Tolkien

Roderick Haig-Brown

Thunktank

Post by Thunktank » Wed May 31, 2017 11:59 pm

You guys are killing me! I can't take up fly fishing now, not that I'm complaining, I have some other wonderful hobbies and related expenses, but you fellows are really good at advertising fly fishing. I really need a duplicate of me so that Other Me can find the time and funds to take up fly fishing. Don't you all agree that an Other Thunk who fly fishes would be a most excellent contribution? :twisted:

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:05 am

Thunktank wrote:
Wed May 31, 2017 11:59 pm
You guys are killing me! I can't take up fly fishing now, not that I'm complaining, I have some other wonderful hobbies and related expenses, but you fellows are really good at advertising fly fishing. I really need a duplicate of me so that Other Me can find the time and funds to take up fly fishing. Don't you all agree that an Other Thunk who fly fishes would be a most excellent contribution? :twisted:
Yes!
And we look forward to hearing from Other Thunk about how the fly fishing is going.
But be forewarned, fly fishing is worse than drugs and alcohol!

A good friend told me, a while back when we're off somewhere fishing together all the time, that his wife said she'd rather he had a mistress - at least she'd know where to find him. And it would be less expensive.

J.R.R. Tolkien

Roderick Haig-Brown

Bloodhound

Post by Bloodhound » Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:30 am

That is a great gear photo.

When I was in Lake City this last weekend...even if the weather had cooperated, The rivers and streams were chocolate milk and running very high and strong. Saw 2 guys who wouldn't be chased off, trying to keep up with the water...they didn't even have time for a proper mend...more like point and shoot...neither one had even had a bite when I talked to them.

My trip to the Taylor is coming so I am lawn casting and trying to work on my back cast and accuracy and tying flys :)
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

FredS

Post by FredS » Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:59 am

durangopipe wrote:
Wed May 31, 2017 7:39 pm
I'm thinking of switching from plastic to Wheatley style (knock-offs) aluminum boxes for my trout flies. I'd like one side compartmentalized for small flies (<18) and slit foam on the other side for larger flies.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Thunktank

Post by Thunktank » Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:14 am

durangopipe wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:05 am
Thunktank wrote:
Wed May 31, 2017 11:59 pm
Yes!
And we look forward to hearing from Other Thunk about how the fly fishing is going.
But be forewarned, fly fishing is worse than drugs and alcohol!

A good friend told me, a while back when we're off somewhere fishing together all the time, that his wife said she'd rather he had a mistress - at least she'd know where to find him. And it would be less expensive.
I'm filing it away for later. I have two sons to outfit for all these outdoor activities and I'm still working on setting them up with regular fishing tackle and hunting gear. This is also why I have chosen not to treat PAD (Pump Acquisition Disorder), it's cheaper than Auto Loader or Double Barrel Acquisition disorder. Though I have every intention of acquiring that new Browning "Sweet Sixteen" next year for myself, then my boys and I will all have 16 gauge upland guns to use. Then there is the issue of deer rifles and optics for everyone. The cost of gun dogs that includes the price of training grounds and equipment, snake avoidance training, the usual vet bills and dog health insurance . . . Not to mention the time and expense to travel in order to actually hunt. Whew!!!! This is nuts!

Perhaps I should have posted this in the Thoughts About Yourself No one Cares About thread. But anyway, fly fishing may come later for me. Either that or a clone of myself.

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:40 pm

FredS wrote: I'm thinking of switching from plastic to Wheatley style (knock-offs) aluminum boxes for my trout flies. I'd like one side compartmentalized for small flies (<18) and slit foam on the other side for larger flies.
My Wheatley compartment boxes are all at least 35 years old. The two large ones were gifts from my first wife before I started guiding and before she passed away. I have 3 compartment boxes in all, 2 large ones and one small one. I also have several swing-leaf boxes whose foam inserts I've replaced several times as they've gotten buggered up through daily use.

I guided out of my Wheatley boxes, compartment and swing leaf, for over 25 years.
I swear by them.

The new knock-offs are a tremendous value. Wheatleys have become ridiculously expensive. They used to be affordable, same for Hardy reels and not at all unlike British pipes.

J.R.R. Tolkien

Roderick Haig-Brown