The fishing thread

Anything and everything... except the youth room... or what belongs in the Purgatory Forum
Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado

Re: The fishing thread

Post by Thunktank » Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:28 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:19 pm
I have fished lakes and mild rivers out of a canoe for years. At one time I had canoe acquisition disorder. My shed at our old place was full of them. Obviously, I'm biased, but for me there's a pleasure in paddling a canoe well that is very hard to equal in other small water craft.

Dorys/drift boats are beautiful and wonderful in big rivers and whitewater, small pontoon boats are becoming popular but rowing one is a clunky, awkward affair at best, rubber rafts can't be beat for rocky, pinball rivers, but for reasonable rivers and lakes nothing beats a canoe in my opinion.

Learning to paddle a canoe well is as rewarding as learning to cast well and as never ending and joyful a process.
My vote would be for the best tandem, 16' canoe you can manage and a pair of decent wooden paddles.

They're addicting in the very best sense of the word.

This is me at a local lake in my 14' solo, a Mad River Ladyslipper freestyle canoe:

With a buddy and one of my bird dogs in our tandem, a 16' Mad River Explorer:

Tell me that doesn't look like fun.
Imagine you and Hockeyboy out in a tandem yanking in hogs!

I apologize for the poor quality of the photos--I just copied them from 5X7 prints on textured paper that were tacked to a cork board in my office.

Of course, being land-locked, my advice is worthless if you also want to use whatever you get, out in the salt.
Canoe paddling is my favorite paddle sport. It really is nice if you have the right water for it. I must admit though that I'm not as limber as I used to be, kneeling in the center to solo paddle concerns me. You look like you had some high end canoes. I've seen two really nice canoes on Craig's list recently with the right attributes I would be looking for in a canoe. One was a Kevlar model with seats you could trim, the other a really nice cedar strip in near perfect condition.

--------------------

I think one consideration to make is whether you simply want something to fish from a lot and paddle with a little, only to fish. Or if you want to take up paddling itself for activities other than fishing. I definitely fall on the latter side of the equation which is why I would chosoe a craft that really paddles nicely that can be called into service and outfitted to fish from. Canoeing, sea kayaking and touring are probably the most popular "extreme" outdoor activities for folks over 50 because it's low impact. Anyway, a canoe or kayak designed primarily for near shore fishing are often comfortable and stable even when not being paddled. Some high performance kayaks and canoes are not good fishing designs, but there's so much in between that I think is worth consideration. Stability and comfort is, to a degree, learned through practice. A lot of people start off in a cheap boat, use it a couple of times never to use it again because they didn't enjoy it as much as they thought they would. They never paddled a good one though.

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:05 am

Oh man, now you all have started it, haven't you?

I've been pining for a couple nice canoes for years. It's in the "one of these days" category. My kids got to do kayaking at summer camp last year and have trying to figure out how much birthday/mowing money it would take to buy a couple kayaks of their own (too much).

I love canoeing. I've always somewhat enjoyed it, but a summer spent on a lake in northern Ontario really sealed it. I had the opportunity to live and canoe with some people that were actually skillful and learned a lot. I agree with DP that paddling a canoe with skill is a joy all it's own. One of these days I'll have one or two for family use and for fishing. What I would really love to do is build one, but that's even farther down the road.
Sola Deo Gloria

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by durangopipe » Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:41 am

Gabriel wrote:
Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:05 am
Oh man, now you all have started it, haven't you?

I've been pining for a couple nice canoes for years. It's in the "one of these days" category. My kids got to do kayaking at summer camp last year and have trying to figure out how much birthday/mowing money it would take to buy a couple kayaks of their own (too much).

I love canoeing. I've always somewhat enjoyed it, but a summer spent on a lake in northern Ontario really sealed it. I had the opportunity to live and canoe with some people that were actually skillful and learned a lot. I agree with DP that paddling a canoe with skill is a joy all it's own. One of these days I'll have one or two for family use and for fishing. What I would really love to do is build one, but that's even farther down the road.
I had that dream as well - to build a cedar strip canoe, but somehow work always got in the way.

In 1967 I did a three day springtime float on the Current River in the Missouri Ozarks in a cedar stripper built by a good buddy whose grandparents lived on the river. He kept the canoe in their barn. That was my introduction to river tripping in a canoe and it was love at first paddle stroke.

A well built cedar strip canoe is light and fast as well as beautiful. I still covet one.
The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity. J.R.R. Tolkien

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:05 pm

Finally was marginally well enough for a Saturday morning fishing trip today. My daughter has been asking to go for weeks and the creek was actually at wadeable levels so we headed over about sunrise this morning.

I fly fished and she fished her usual tackle but brought her fly rod to practice with when the fish slowed down.

She had the charmed line this morning and pulled in about a dozen rock bass, smallmouth, and largemouth bass. I caught a grand total of three, with one being a very small sunnie... I love catching sunfish, but...

By the time we waded back to where we started she was excited to get out her fly rod. I tied on a #12 xcaddis as they float well and are easy to see and cast. Nothing was going to bite that at 10am. We worked on roll casts and strait casts until we saw several large rock bass in the shallows. I then handed her my rod (as it already had a small black wooly bugger tied on) and she got a very rapid lesson on shooting line, retrieving, and fishing rather than casting. She hooked a good one and suddenly all the lessons took on a new sense of fun and usefulness.

I'm really glad I didn't push her on this last year. She struggled a little and didn't give up, per se, but would always choose her spinning rod. I let it go so as not to frustrate her. This morning she was a natural. Very little coaching, she was much more instinctive. So much fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sola Deo Gloria

FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.

Post by FredS » Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:35 pm

Gabriel wrote:
Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:05 pm
Your goose is well and truly cooked Gabe.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

hugodrax
Legal Artisan
Legal Artisan

Post by hugodrax » Sat Jun 03, 2017 1:30 pm

FredS wrote:
Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:35 pm
Gabriel wrote:
Boy, is that the truth. There's some bittersweet coming your way, buddy.

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Sat Jun 03, 2017 1:37 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Sat Jun 03, 2017 1:30 pm
FredS wrote:
Gabriel wrote:
Hey hey hey, let me have this. :evil:
Sola Deo Gloria

hugodrax
Legal Artisan
Legal Artisan

Post by hugodrax » Sat Jun 03, 2017 1:40 pm

Gabriel wrote:
Sat Jun 03, 2017 1:37 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Sat Jun 03, 2017 1:30 pm
FredS wrote:
Gabriel wrote:
Hey hey hey, let me have this. :evil:
Heh. I have three myself, don't forget. I'm so glad she is in to it--a person can fish with satisfaction for ever.

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:06 pm

I'm grinning from ear to ear.
And my heart is singing.
The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity. J.R.R. Tolkien

Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed

Post by Bloodhound » Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:24 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:06 pm
And my heart is singing.
This
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD ...

JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:33 pm

Bloodhound wrote:
Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:24 pm
durangopipe wrote:
Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:06 pm
And my heart is singing.
This
+me

sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by sweetandsour » Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:09 pm

Youngest grandson, at the boat ramp at our duck lease this afternoon, fishing in the rain. Using his new Shimano baitcast, with Texas-rigged plastic worm. He hooked 3 or 4 bass, but wasn't able to get any of them to hand.

I just walked around in the rain and watched, and tried to keep my pipe lit.
O love the Lord, all ye His saints: for the Lord preserveth the faithful. Psalm 31:23

JimVH

Post by JimVH » Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:54 pm

The adventure continues. I'm now the proud owner of a couple of 10 1/2 foot sit-on angler kayaks. Saturday morning we headed out to look at some used stuff we found on Craigslist. On the way, Justin wanted to hit the new Dick's store at the mall to see what it was like. They were having a big kayak sale. He played innocent, but I'm pretty sure I got set-up. Anyway, we made out for well under the budgeted amount and beat the price of all the comparable used stuff were headed to see.

We hit the local park lake today and did pretty well, all facts considered. Next weekend we start fishing.

Thanks for all the feedback, folks. It really helped me decide.

Bloodhound

Post by Bloodhound » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:01 am

JimVH wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:54 pm
The adventure continues. I'm now the proud owner of a couple of 10 1/2 foot sit-on angler kayaks. Saturday morning we headed out to look at some used stuff we found on Craigslist. On the way, Justin wanted to hit the new Dick's store at the mall to see what it was like. They were having a big kayak sale. He played innocent, but I'm pretty sure I got set-up. Anyway, we made out for well under the budgeted amount and beat the price of all the comparable used stuff were headed to see.

We hit the local park lake today and did pretty well, all facts considered. Next weekend we start fishing.

HOOK, LINE, LEADER, TIPPIT & FLY Man you got it bad :)

But where are the pics?
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD ...

FredS

Post by FredS » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:08 am

Bloodhound wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:01 am
JimVH wrote:

HOOK, LINE, LEADER, TIPPIT & FLY Man you got it bad :)
It's difficult to watch a friend spiral out of control like this.

At least, with this particular addiction, he can still sell plasma when he loses his job and Mrs VH tosses him out.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:32 am

FredS wrote:It's difficult to watch a friend spiral out of control like this.
Not for me.
I'm an enabler in a co-dependent relationship with Jim.

At least I didn't try to sell a canoe. I'm no dealer. Just a fellow addict.

One word: Yahoo!

Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado

Post by Thunktank » Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:59 am

JimVH wrote:

Enjoy! Take advantage of it's ease of use and fish a lot!

JimVH

Post by JimVH » Sat Jun 10, 2017 4:07 pm

First fishing from the yaks this morning. Awesome time. Justin caught a nice white bass, but we were otherwise skunked. No matter, though, we had a great time.

Big city tip of the day: Nature is there if you look for it. I live five minutes form this park. It's always been private land, but was recently donated to the county as a preserve. Catfish are limited to two keepers per day. Everything else is catch and release. My tax dollars at work.

And Fred, there were people all over the park teaching their kids how to fish. You came to mind every time I saw one.

Yes, I'm this cool.

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Sat Jun 10, 2017 4:29 pm

Oh. Yeah.
Sola Deo Gloria

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:37 pm

Love the paddles!