Booze in the News

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.

Booze in the News

Post by FredS » Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:15 pm

"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Irish-Dane
I'm a pro at tobacco canning
I'm a pro at tobacco canning

Re: Booze in the News

Post by Irish-Dane » Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:18 pm

It was fun to go back to Ohio a couple weeks ago and see hard liquor right next to hostess cakes, and to take advantage of a drive-thru to get my beer on-the-go.
It's not available because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body. --Colton

Skip
Everything in Moderatoration
Everything in Moderatoration

Post by Skip » Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:28 pm

I can't imagine moving (back) to a state where you can't pick up liquor any day of the week at any location licensed to sell it. Or to a state that won't let me receive shipments from my selected wineries.
2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 Winner of the CPS Award: "Most Likely to be Found Without Pants at Any Given Moment"

"No man is peer to Skip, peasant." -A_Morley

FredS

Post by FredS » Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:32 pm

Local liquor laws are baffling. But with legalized marijuana becoming more and more widespread, it seems that people are rethinking liquor laws and easing up a little on restrictions. There's talk in the Kansas legislature that this may be the year they finally pass a bill to allow 'strong' beer and liquor sales in grocery stores. There's not a chance that such a bill will pass (only 3 or 4 counties around KC and Lawrence would want it) but the fact that this is even being mentioned in the news shows how the times are changing.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

venator260
Minister of Metal
Minister of Metal

Post by venator260 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:20 pm

I find PA alcohol laws maddening. I tend to believe that alcohol should be regulated no more strictly than cigarettes. There's no reason that I can't purchase 6-packs or even single beers the same place I buy cases. And for that matter, there's no reason that I can grab a pint or 5th of whiskey or vodka with my beer if I feel like I may be in the mood for a cocktail. Also, I should be able to do these things at a grocery store, so that I may also purchase citrus fruits, tonic water, and other cocktail making materials.

I suppose that it has something to do with bars in trade associations purchasing politicians and absolutely nothing to do with public safety. Our liquor laws are the way they are because the overpaid cashiers in the liquor stores argue that they have good paying jobs that should be protected... oh, and for the children. It's merely obstacles to the free market that cause me to make more stops and use more gas.

Reform PA liquor laws: stop global warming.

gravel
Now it's a mess. Uniquely so.
Now it's a mess. Uniquely so.

Post by gravel » Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:24 pm

I wonder how Hudds is getting on in the UK.

ryland
More of this
More of this

Post by ryland » Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:16 am

We've got several of these growler places in Asheville. The one we use has a lot of variety and nice guy to deal with.
"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little to no influence on society." Mark Twain

Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Cleon » Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:39 am

gravel wrote:I wonder how Hudds is getting on in the UK.
I've wondered that too. He's a man of many talents.
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

FredS

Post by FredS » Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:19 am

tuttle
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by tuttle » Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:42 am

gravel wrote:I wonder how Hudds is getting on in the UK.
I haven't seen hudds since my Long Weekend. Hope that bugger is doing well.
"You're my kind of stupid" -Mal Reynolds

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

The Reformation Drinking Song

tuttle
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by tuttle » Tue May 10, 2016 9:13 am

I couldn't decide if this should go in "Numbnuts in the News" or "That Ain't Right in the News"... pretty stupid all around...but this thread could use a nice kickstart

Budweiser Just Renamed Its Beer ‘America’
No, this is not a Colbert bit. It’s a marketing strategy. Until the election in November, every bottle or can you pick up will read not “Budweiser” but “America.” In addition to changing the name, Budweiser is adorning their packaging with text like “Land of the Free,” “Indivisible Since 1776” and “Liberty and Justice for All.”
:facepalm:
"You're my kind of stupid" -Mal Reynolds

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

The Reformation Drinking Song

UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Post by UncleBob » Tue May 10, 2016 9:17 am

tuttle wrote:I couldn't decide if this should go in "Numbnuts in the News" or "That Ain't Right in the News"... pretty stupid all around...but this thread could use a nice kickstart

No, this is not a Colbert bit. It’s a marketing strategy. Until the election in November, every bottle or can you pick up will read not “Budweiser” but “America.” In addition to changing the name, Budweiser is adorning their packaging with text like “Land of the Free,” “Indivisible Since 1776” and “Liberty and Justice for All.”
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

Cliff
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Cliff » Tue May 10, 2016 1:36 pm

At the Kentucky Derby, the had a mint julep for sale in a gold plated tumbler for $20,000. cool
MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOUR PIPE
What is a rebel?-A man who says No- Albert Camus

"I have set my course for uncharted seas." Paradisio, Canto II, v 9, Dante

bean_counter
Assesor of Mental Health Coverage
Assesor of Mental Health Coverage

Post by bean_counter » Tue May 10, 2016 2:46 pm

tuttle wrote:I couldn't decide if this should go in "Numbnuts in the News" or "That Ain't Right in the News"... pretty stupid all around...but this thread could use a nice kickstart

Brought to you by Anheiser's European masters at INBEV
"It's the mark of civilized defecation" - hugodrax

"Perhaps Waste Should Be Left to the Professionals" - John-Boy

FredS

Post by FredS » Tue May 10, 2016 5:04 pm

bean_counter wrote:

Brought to you by Anheiser's European masters at INBEV
I don't follow this market but my guess is that the Budweiser brand has taken a double whammy due to increasing 'craft beer' sales and backlash from the good ol' boys who are unhappy with the INBEV purchase.

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Tue May 10, 2016 9:05 pm

My Alma Mater's Enology Dept.
http://store.fresnostatewinery.com/

Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway

Post by Del » Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:23 pm

"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you." - Eph 4

JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:07 pm

That doesn't necessarily make her a bad girl.
"When God closes a door, just open it again. It's a door. That's how they work." FredS

Del

Post by Del » Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:18 pm

JimVH wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:07 pm
That doesn't necessarily make her a bad girl.
I've seen worse.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you." - Eph 4

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:26 am

"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip