Booze in the News

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
wosbald
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent

Re: Booze in the News

Post by wosbald » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:06 pm

+JMJ+

Holy spirits? Closed churches find second life as breweries
In this Aug. 7, 2017 photo, the Church Brew Works, a brewery operating in a renovated church, stands in Pittsburgh. At the Church Brew Works, an early church-turned-brewery that opened in 1996, patrons slide into booths crafted from pews. Breweries opening in renovated churches are winning fans but earning disapproval from clergy and worshippers across the U.S. (Credit: Dake Kang/AP.)

As churches close due to dwindling congregations and parish mergers, some are being given new life: As breweries and brewpubs. With stained glass, brick walls and large sanctuaries ideal for holding vats and lots of drinkers, churches renovated into breweries attract beer lovers but can grate on the spiritual sensibilities of clergy and worshipers.

[…]

When St. John the Baptist Church was deconsecrated and sold to Casey, Catholics in the diocese voiced their opposition, leading to the deed restrictions to stop other closed churches from becoming bars and clubs.

While the Archdiocese of Cincinnati also has imposed such restrictions, it’s unclear how much company it and Youngstown have. Limits also exist in the Diocese of Altoona-Johnstown, Pennsylvania, while the Boston archdiocese says it solicits proposals from potential buyers and screens them to make sure they’re in line with Catholic values.

Churches are uniquely difficult to renovate, preservationists say. Large stained windows and cavernous sanctuaries are tough to partition into condominiums. Historic landmark protections can bar new owners from knocking down some churches, leading them to sit empty and decay.

But the same vaulted ceilings that keep housing developers away from churches also lend them an old-world air hard to replicate elsewhere, making former houses of worship particularly suitable as dignified beer halls. …

"In the end, My Immaculate Heart will triumph." - Our Lady of Fatima

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:11 pm

The Church Brew Works is less than 2 miles from my house.

I still find your quoting of articles with no commentary inordinately banal, nerdlinger.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway

Post by Del » Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:29 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:11 pm
Robert Pirsig devoted a chapter of Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance to the topic of re-purposing a former church building as a beer pub.

He used this a parable to explain what happens when a university loses its accreditation. It still looks like a church/university, but worship/education isn't really happening there anymore.

Which is fine with an old church, which has been properly de-consecrated and turned over for profane use. Not so good for an expensive degree that failed to hand down the wisdom of our culture to a new generation.
hugodrax wrote:
I still find your quoting of articles with no commentary inordinately banal, nerdlinger.
He's not the only one.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you." - Eph 4

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:27 pm

Del wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:29 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Robert Pirsig devoted a chapter of Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance to the topic of re-purposing a former church building as a beer pub.

He used this a parable to explain what happens when a university loses its accreditation. It still looks like a church/university, but worship/education isn't really happening there anymore.

Which is fine with an old church, which has been properly de-consecrated and turned over for profane use. Not so good for an expensive degree that failed to hand down the wisdom of our culture to a new generation.
hugodrax wrote:
He's not the only one.
I don't have a problem with repurposing in theory but I still don't like going to businesses in old churches. Im kind of superstitious, i guess. Luckily, the Church Brew Works gets over it by serving utterly shite beer and badly conceived food.

By the way, I fail to see how a chemistry degree handed down any culture.

Del

Post by Del » Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:27 am

hugodrax wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:27 pm
Del wrote:
hugodrax wrote:

hugodrax wrote:
He's not the only one.
I don't have a problem with repurposing in theory but I still don't like going to businesses in old churches. Im kind of superstitious, i guess. Luckily, the Church Brew Works gets over it by serving utterly shite beer and badly conceived food.

I went to a small liberal arts college (run by Methodists, hence my soft spot for the denomination). We studied many things, receiving the wisdom and tradition of our culture (i.e., "education), and not just a narrow indoctrination in "major" studies.

One year, the whole college was assigned to read Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, and every class was challenged to weave this into our coursework. It gave me something to talk about with the music education students.

Having a quality relationship with my lab equipment is just as rich as having a quality relationship with my motorcycle. And we got to talk about brewing a bit.

"Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you." - Eph 4

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:38 pm

Del wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:27 am
hugodrax wrote:
Del wrote:
hugodrax wrote:

hugodrax wrote:
He's not the only one.

I went to a small liberal arts college (run by Methodists, hence my soft spot for the denomination). We studied many things, receiving the wisdom and tradition of our culture (i.e., "education), and not just a narrow indoctrination in "major" studies.

One year, the whole college was assigned to read Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, and every class was challenged to weave this into our coursework. It gave me something to talk about with the music education students.

Having a quality relationship with my lab equipment is just as rich as having a quality relationship with my motorcycle. And we got to talk about brewing a bit.
Perhaps we define "culture" differently.

sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by sweetandsour » Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:37 pm

Del wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
Del wrote:
hugodrax wrote:

hugodrax wrote:
He's not the only one.

You must be an analytical chemist.
As thus we sat in darkness
Each one busy with his prayers,
"We are lost!" the captain shouted,
As he staggered down the stairs.

O love the Lord, all ye His saints: for the Lord preserveth the faithful. Psalm 31:23

Del

Post by Del » Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:46 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:38 pm
Del wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
Del wrote:
hugodrax wrote:

hugodrax wrote:
He's not the only one.

In the context of education, we mean "Western Culture."

We aren't talking about how too hold one's pinky as he sips his tea.

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:53 pm

sweetandsour wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:37 pm
Del wrote:
[
You must be an analytical chemist.
'Cause organic chemists don't give a s*** about their lab equipment.
As thus we sat in darkness
Each one busy with his prayers,
"We are lost!" the captain shouted,
As he staggered down the stairs.

O love the Lord, all ye His saints: for the Lord preserveth the faithful. Psalm 31:23

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:13 pm

Del wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:46 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Del wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
Del wrote:
hugodrax wrote:

hugodrax wrote:
He's not the only one.

"Western culture" includes how one drinks one's tea, you insultingly jejeune dink. I know you can't help it, but you are an affront to one's sensibilities.

"Culture" implies a uniform response to stimuli. I can predict an Italian's or Japanese person's response to certain situational possibilities. I can't do the same for an American. We have a much more fluid culture that provides for a tolerance of different reactions.

You learned how to have a "conversation" with people of differing views. I'd guess they didn't grade your effectiveness.

I appreciate what you're doing. I agree with much of what you say. I hope you heard that: i think youre right.
But I think the way you go about argiing for it is an attempt to impose a uniform culture that doesn't presently exist. Arguing that it has been the precedent is where you fall down. It should, in my opinion, be argues that it represents a demonstrable improvement to what we possess currently.

Del

Post by Del » Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:03 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:13 pm
Del wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
Del wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
Del wrote:
hugodrax wrote:

hugodrax wrote:
He's not the only one.

"Western culture" includes how one drinks one's tea, you insultingly jejeune dink. I know you can't help it, but you are an affront to one's sensibilities.

"Culture" implies a uniform response to stimuli. I can predict an Italian's or Japanese person's response to certain situational possibilities. I can't do the same for an American. We have a much more fluid culture that provides for a tolerance of different reactions.

You learned how to have a "conversation" with people of differing views. I'd guess they didn't grade your effectiveness.

I appreciate what you're doing. I agree with much of what you say. I hope you heard that: i think youre right.
But I think the way you go about argiing for it is an attempt to impose a uniform culture that doesn't presently exist. Arguing that it has been the precedent is where you fall down. It should, in my opinion, be argues that it represents a demonstrable improvement to what we possess currently.
I have no desire to impose a uniform culture! Part of Western Culture is celebration of the diversity of sub-cultures which the world has produced.

I do state outright that there are old evils which are imposing themselves upon us as new norms.

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:27 pm

Del wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:03 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Del wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
Del wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
Del wrote:
hugodrax wrote:

hugodrax wrote:
He's not the only one.

I have no desire to impose a uniform culture! Part of Western Culture is celebration of the diversity of sub-cultures which the world has produced.

I do state outright that there are old evils which are imposing themselves upon us as new norms.
I needed that laugh. Thanks.

Del

Post by Del » Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:46 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:27 pm
Del wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
Del wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
Del wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
Del wrote:
hugodrax wrote:

hugodrax wrote:
He's not the only one.

Your irony is not lost on me.

What do you find funny?

Do you think that Western Culture does not celebrate diversity? From whence do you think that the politically correct virtue of "diversity" comes from?

Do you really think I stand for a monolith of culture? That Poland should resemble Italy? Or all should resemble America?

I think the Left is wrong in its tyrannical and violent imposition of cultural monism, but that doesn't meant that I want a right-wing monoculture. Do I seem that way to you? So much so that you laugh at me?

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:47 am

Del wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:46 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:27 pm
Del wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
Del wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
Del wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
Del wrote:

He's not the only one.

Your irony is not lost on me.

What do you find funny?

Do you think that Western Culture does not celebrate diversity? From whence do you think that the politically correct virtue of "diversity" comes from?

Do you really think I stand for a monolith of culture? That Poland should resemble Italy? Or all should resemble America?

I think the Left is wrong in its tyrannical and violent imposition of cultural monism, but that doesn't meant that I want a right-wing monoculture. Do I seem that way to you? So much so that you laugh at me?
Yes.

UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Post by UncleBob » Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:52 pm

"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip