Booze in the News

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
wosbald
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent

Re: Booze in the News

Post by wosbald » Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:14 am

+JMJ+

'World's most expensive vodka' stolen from Danish bar
DARTZ MOTOR COMPANY

Danish police are investigating the theft of a bottle of vodka claimed to be the world's most expensive at $1.3m (£960,000).

The bottle, made from gold and silver and with a diamond encrusted cap, was on loan to a Copenhagen bar which had a collection of vodkas on display.

[…]

Mr Ingberg, owner of the Cafe 33 bar, told broadcaster TV2 that he had borrowed the bottle from the Latvia-based Dartz Motor Company.

"It has been part of my collection for six months, but not any more," he said.

Russian luxury car maker Russo-Baltique is said to have created the vodka to commemorate the centenary of the company's factory.

The front of the bottle is decorated with leather and has a replica of the radiator guard used for Russo-Baltique cars.

The cap is shaped like a a Russian imperial eagle and is encrusted with diamonds.

[…]

"In the end, My Immaculate Heart will triumph." - Our Lady of Fatima

sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by sweetandsour » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:25 am

wosbald wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:14 am
+JMJ+

DARTZ MOTOR COMPANY

Danish police are investigating the theft of a bottle of vodka claimed to be the world's most expensive at $1.3m (£960,000).

The bottle, made from gold and silver and with a diamond encrusted cap, was on loan to a Copenhagen bar which had a collection of vodkas on display.

[…]

Mr Ingberg, owner of the Cafe 33 bar, told broadcaster TV2 that he had borrowed the bottle from the Latvia-based Dartz Motor Company.

Russian luxury car maker Russo-Baltique is said to have created the vodka to commemorate the centenary of the company's factory.

The front of the bottle is decorated with leather and has a replica of the radiator guard used for Russo-Baltique cars.

The cap is shaped like a a Russian imperial eagle and is encrusted with diamonds.

[…]
Whoever took that pic probly took the bottle. She's wearing a fur- lined dress. The bottle will be recovered I imagine, but the vodka will be gone.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

Jester
Pastor
Pastor

Post by Jester » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:53 pm

sweetandsour wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:25 am
wosbald wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:14 am
+JMJ+

DARTZ MOTOR COMPANY

[…]

[…]
Whoever took that pic probly took the bottle. She's wearing a fur- lined dress. The bottle will be recovered I imagine, but the vodka will be gone.
Probably tastes like McCormick.
I smoke a cigar because the body is a temple and the temple needs incense. -Michael Knowles

Pumpkin Ale is more American than apple pie! -Tuttle

When chaos manifests itself, what makes you think that anyone tame will be good for anything? -Jordan B. Peterson

UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Post by UncleBob » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:11 am

"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"You guys are weird." - Mrs. FredS

Jester
Pastor
Pastor

Post by Jester » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:39 am

I wonder where these 1 year old companies are getting this aged 15 year liqueur. All this "boutique" whiskey is just major distilleries throw away. You are drinking a $50 bottle of crappy Jim Beam.
I smoke a cigar because the body is a temple and the temple needs incense. -Michael Knowles

When chaos manifests itself, what makes you think that anyone tame will be good for anything? -Jordan B. Peterson

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:20 am

Jester wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:39 am
I wonder where these 1 year old companies are getting this aged 15 year liqueur. All this "boutique" whiskey is just major distilleries throw away. You are drinking a $50 bottle of crappy Jim Beam.
Says the guy sipping on pumpkin ale.

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:43 am

sweetandsour wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:20 am
Jester wrote:
You have to forgive old Jester. The man was named after a packet of rolling papers.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

Jester
Pastor
Pastor

Post by Jester » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:02 am

hugodrax wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:43 am
sweetandsour wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:20 am
Jester wrote:
You have to forgive old Jester. The man was named after a packet of rolling papers.
I do not simply sip pumpkin ale. I take rather large gulps of it.

FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.

Post by FredS » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:39 am

Jester wrote:
They started distilling 15 years ago and are only now able to bottle and ship? The aging process is the barrier in craft whiskey. Many distillers make vodka and gin so they can generate cash while the good stuff ages in the warehouse.

Some bourbon makers artificially age their whiskey by controlling the environment (light/dark and cool/warm cycles). With this technology they speed up the process. You can't make 6 year old whiskey in a week but you can make in, perhaps, a year.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:04 pm

FredS wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:39 am
Jester wrote:
They started distilling 15 years ago and are only now able to bottle and ship? The aging process is the barrier in craft whiskey. Many distillers make vodka and gin so they can generate cash while the good stuff ages in the warehouse.

Some bourbon makers artificially age their whiskey by controlling the environment (light/dark and cool/warm cycles). With this technology they speed up the process. You can't make 6 year old whiskey in a week but you can make in, perhaps, a year.
Dont think so, but even if you could, you couldn't sell it as bourbon.

No, what Jester is referring to is the Bulleits of this world that hit the scene with wonderful stories about lost recipes and bottles full of the honey barrels of Old GrandDad or Beam juice. The American bourbon industry could really benefit from transparency laws: the juice is beyond pure, but the backstories are Bullpucky.

FredS

Post by FredS » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:35 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:04 pm
FredS wrote:
. . .

No, what Jester is referring to is the Bulleits of this world that hit the scene with wonderful stories about lost recipes and bottles full of the honey barrels of Old GrandDad or Beam juice. The American bourbon industry could really benefit from transparency laws: the juice is beyond pure, but the backstories are Bullpucky.
'Splain please.

What I know about this rapid aging is hearsay from an industry insider and he certainly could have been BSing me, but it didn't seem so when he told me. He said the spirit moves in to and out of the barrel as the temperature changes and you can speed the process by not relying on natural summer/winter cycles.

I understand there are regulations in place to specify what can be labeled as bourbon and what would be whiskey instead.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:26 pm

FredS wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:35 pm
hugodrax wrote:
FredS wrote:
. . .

'Splain please.

What I know about this rapid aging is hearsay from an industry insider and he certainly could have been BSing me, but it didn't seem so when he told me. He said the spirit moves in to and out of the barrel as the temperature changes and you can speed the process by not relying on natural summer/winter cycles.

I understand there are regulations in place to specify what can be labeled as bourbon and what would be whiskey instead.
No problem. As I understand it, bourbon must be two years old to be sold as bourbon. The spirit does indeed age by moving in and out of the barrel wood with the change in temperature, but there's also a bit of magic that occurs. You see, spirit evaporates, too. Its called the Angel's Share. Also, because no barrel is airtight, you're going to have some air get in and create some oxidation. Some scotch is actually matured at sea because of the supposedly beneficial effect. Then there is the variable of the barrel itself. And the rickhouses.

I'm not saying that man was full of hooey because he isn't. But I am saying there are more variables in the equation than are contemplated in your friends theory. If it was that simple, there would be a lot better bourbon out there than there are now.

FredS

Post by FredS » Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:29 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:26 pm
FredS wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
FredS wrote:
. . .

'Splain please.

No problem. As I understand it, bourbon must be two years old to be sold as bourbon. The spirit does indeed age by moving in and out of the barrel wood with the change in temperature, but there's also a bit of magic that occurs. You see, spirit evaporates, too. Its called the Angel's Share. Also, because no barrel is airtight, you're going to have some air get in and create some oxidation. Some scotch is actually matured at sea because of the supposedly beneficial effect. Then there is the variable of the barrel itself. And the rickhouses.

I'm not saying that man was full of hooey because he isn't. But I am saying there are more variables in the equation than are contemplated in your friends theory. If it was that simple, there would be a lot better bourbon out there than there are now.
As with most things artificial (like Skips hairpiece) I'm sure it's not as good as the real thing. I, for one, am glad that there's magic in the universe that we quite replicate.

Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed

Post by Bloodhound » Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:41 pm

"Some scotch is actually matured at sea because of the supposedly beneficial effect."

Jefferson "Ocean" (bourbon) is also aged at sea. I have never tried it, because its beyond what my wallet contains but I have heard that it is very nice
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:21 pm

There are various accelerated aging, corrosion and other similar tests in the petroleum industry. Accepted standardized methods. But correlating the test results to actual field results is the tricky part. eg, equating days or hours from a lab test, to years in the field.

Accelerated aging of a bourbon seems easy enough to me. But equating each process to x number of years would take some time and data. Still, I'd be interested in tasting that ocean-aged bourbon, regardless the number of years aged assigned to it.

TNLawPiper
BrotherOfTheBriar YouHeartlessBastards
BrotherOfTheBriar YouHeartlessBastards

Post by TNLawPiper » Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:04 am

hugodrax wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:26 pm
FredS wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
FredS wrote:
. . .

'Splain please.

There's no minimum age requirement for bourbon under federal law, just storage, composition, and proofing requirements.

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:56 am

Sadly, Bourbon has become a hipster beverage, gentlemen. Most all the big names are controlled by foreign investors
https://www.marketplace.org/2014/01/15/ ... te-whiskey