Remember The 70s, 80s?

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
fisherofpipes
Episcopal shot pourer
Episcopal shot pourer

Remember The 70s, 80s?

Post by fisherofpipes » Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:29 pm

Pre-Internet...

Golly gee, I kinda remember. There was this thing called a book, and it had pages, and you cracked it open and read it. We had TV in Ye Olden Days too, but the shows were still mindless, yet cool. Gilligan's Island. Hogan's Heroes. The Love Boat. Fantasy Island...

We went outside more. People still go outside, of course, but they are always hooked up to something. As a kid in the 70s and 80s, I remember most how our parents would let us go anywhere (if not grounded) and do anything (don't smoke that marryjewwanna!) as long as we were back for dinner...

Elaborate.
Odi profanum vulgus et arceo:
Favete linguis. Carmina non prius
Audita Musarum sacerdos
Virginibus puerisque canto.

Horace: Odes 3.1

Cliff
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Re: Remember The 70s, 80s?

Post by Cliff » Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:30 am

The 70's and 80' were the best time of my life. Life and music were exciting. And I did my part to change the world.

I jumped off the fast track of corporate success and went to work at city hall to use my abilities to help people.
MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOUR PIPE
What is a rebel?-A man who says No- Albert Camus

"I have set my course for uncharted seas." Paradisio, Canto II, v 9, Dante

fisherofpipes
Episcopal shot pourer
Episcopal shot pourer

Post by fisherofpipes » Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:39 am

Cliff wrote:The 70's and 80' were the best time of my life. Life and music were exciting. And I did my part to change the world.

I jumped off the fast track of corporate success and went to work at city hall to use my abilities to help people.
It's awesome what you did (to use the 70s-80s vernacular), but I just feel so negative; bad vibes, man. I feel like corporatism is stronger than it ever was, and the cartoons aren't even as good.
Audita Musarum sacerdos

Sid.Stavros
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Sid.Stavros » Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:20 am

I still look back in the 70's and 80's, the life was better and had more calmness and quietness.Now many things are more easier but there is a lot of stress and with the help of the God in my retirement i wanna go back in my parents house in the country to live the rest of my life. Today everything comes so easy but the expenses are far more and the quality of life dropped dramatically. I appreciate more things today because back then i didn't had them but some times those things cause so many troubles that i regret for the majority of them.

JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:40 am

Social media was made up of skateboards and BMX bikes. Oh, and the badass CB radio I had hooked up in my bedroom.

Jim Beam and the Whiskey River base. KLQ2234 signing off.
"When God closes a door, just open it again. It's a door. That's how they work." FredS

Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Cleon » Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:31 am

Baseball, baseball,baseball. And my fuschia GT freestyle with white mags. That's how I remember the '80s. Oh, and Jell-O Pudding pops...mmmmmmmmm!
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

SmokinGordon
Eternal Newbie (On a 12 Step Program from Overusing the Quote Function)
Eternal Newbie (On a 12 Step Program from Overusing the Quote Function)

Post by SmokinGordon » Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:44 am

The 70s. Growing up from my teens to young adulthood. Great music until the disco epidemic. Graduated high school, college and got married all in that decade. Started smoking cigarettes and quit in that decade. Bought my first car. First visit to Latin America. First beer, first time drunk. Lots of life experiences, both good and bad in that decade.
80s. All three of my kids were born in that decade. Started grad school. Moved to Venezuela. Learned Spanish. Bought my first computer. Yes, those were good decades in a good life. Thank you, Lord. And thanks for the reminder
Last edited by SmokinGordon on Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When I grow up, I want to look like Mrs. Coco's grandpa. :D
Del: "If I only wanted to smoke it once in awhile, I'd just buy a cigar"

fisherofpipes
Episcopal shot pourer
Episcopal shot pourer

Post by fisherofpipes » Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:25 am

JimVH wrote:Social media was made up of skateboards and BMX bikes. Oh, and the badass CB radio I had hooked up in my bedroom.

Jim Beam and the Whiskey River base. KLQ2234 signing off.
I do remember the bmx bikes. I didn't have one, but my friends were really into them.
Audita Musarum sacerdos

Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway

Post by Del » Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:38 am

fisherofpipes wrote:
Cliff wrote:The 70's and 80' were the best time of my life. Life and music were exciting. And I did my part to change the world.

It's awesome what you did (to use the 70s-80s vernacular), but I just feel so negative; bad vibes, man. I feel like corporatism is stronger than it ever was, and the cartoons aren't even as good.
I don't even know what "corporatism" is.... but I'm not from California, so maybe it's just a thing there.

The 70's meant either Disco or John Denver, and I wasn't a fan of either. I listened to a lot of bluegrass and folk music then. And we played a lot of our own music, on old-fashioned acoustic instruments like guitars and banjos.

I will never forget the day that my fiddle fell off of my motorcycle, somewhere in the rural Ozarks. Sad day, that.

I learned to fly airplanes in the 80's. I owned a Cessna 150 then. I am much wealthier now, but I can't afford to own an airplane.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you." - Eph 4

CW Spook
yarn hank-winder
yarn hank-winder

Post by CW Spook » Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:56 am

The 70s...San Antonio, TX and Hakata, Japan. Serviceman of the Year, our son being born 3 months early, coming home on a C-5A Galaxy, building my first computer system in 1976. The 80s...3 years of summer graduate school to teach me that I really didn't want to stay in banking, soloing in a Luscombe 8F and getting my private pilot SEL in a Cessna 150, earning my first ham radio DXCC, and learning to play the cello.
"The king hath knowledge of all they intend, by interception they dream not of..." - King Henry V: Act 2
--In God we trust. All others we monitor.--

FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.

Post by FredS » Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:58 am

you people are old
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Jocose
a large Chinese man named Wu

Post by Jocose » Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:59 am

FredS can't remember half of the 70's and none of the 80's
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

I've crossed the Bosphorus.

fisherofpipes
Episcopal shot pourer
Episcopal shot pourer

Post by fisherofpipes » Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:00 pm

CW Spook wrote:The 70s...San Antonio, TX and Hakata, Japan. Serviceman of the Year, our son being born 3 months early, coming home on a C-5A Galaxy, building my first computer system in 1976. The 80s...3 years of summer graduate school to teach me that I really didn't want to stay in banking, soloing in a Luscombe 8F and getting my private pilot SEL in a Cessna 150, earning my first ham radio DXCC, and learning to play the cello.
I would say you accomplished a great deal more in the 70s and early 80s than I did...we did build a pretty cool rope swing down by the creek, though, with BMX bike handlebars. That kinda fell into disuse after one of my friends broke his arm...
Audita Musarum sacerdos

FredS

Post by FredS » Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:07 pm

Jocose wrote:FredS can't remember half of the 70's and none of the 80's
[jesusjuke]You don't know how accurate you are Jo. I never laid in the gutter and shot heroin, and I didn't murder anyone, but I did some bad stuff. Only by God's grace (and Mrs FredS) did I make it out alive. It frightens me to no end to imagine my children behaving like I did.[/jesusjuke]
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Jocose

Post by Jocose » Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:09 pm

FredS wrote:
[jesusjuke]You don't know how accurate you are Jo. I never laid in the gutter and shot heroin, and I didn't murder anyone, but I did some bad stuff. Only by God's grace (and Mrs FredS) did I make it out alive. It frightens me to no end to imagine my children behaving like I did.[/jesusjuke]
+2
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

I've crossed the Bosphorus.

Irish-Dane
I'm a pro at tobacco canning
I'm a pro at tobacco canning

Post by Irish-Dane » Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:39 pm

FredS wrote:
Was going to make a joke about it being lame if you remember it, but seeing this I'll refrain. Glad you made it out friend.
It's not available because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body. --Colton

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:25 pm

I've been trying to forget the 70's and 80's. Seriously.

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:36 pm

"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)
"No more signatures that quote other CPS members." - Thunk

DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.

Post by DepartedLight » Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:55 pm

Decade heartthrobs

In the 70's it was Rachel Ludke

In the 80's it was Haddo Sanders
DL Jake

All my posts should be viewed from a position of, this guy is nuts.

so, I drank the whisky. » Bloodhound

MrPiper
Needs to lighten up with the Xs
Needs to lighten up with the Xs

Post by MrPiper » Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:39 pm

xxxxxx
Last edited by MrPiper on Sun Sep 18, 2016 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.