The DIVCO project

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Roadmaster
Ornery one-eyed tick farming weiner dog

Re: The DIVCO project

Post by Roadmaster » Sat Jul 11, 2015 5:48 pm

Thunktank wrote:
FredS wrote:
Thunktank wrote:. . .We are also actively considering transmission choices . . .
I don't know much about bowtie transmissions so go with what your local experts suggest, but I think it's hard to be a 700R4. It's a 4 speed (fourth gear is overdrive) automatic.
Yep, that's the one we want and in fact might have now.
The later 700r was better than the earlier one and overdrive is nice but any 700r can fail without warning.
i would trade it for a 350THM, they are reliable.
Current Superhero: Departed Light

Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado

Post by Thunktank » Sun Aug 23, 2015 12:17 pm

Well, somewhere between the busy work load and major home improvement projects, I've been trying to deal with the DIVCO project. I really need a clone of myself, but the rest world likely disagrees.

Anyway, I think we're almost prepared to get the DIVCO out of the previous owners fenced in yard and down to San Diego to the garage to begin it's transformation. The transportation to San Diego alone is an epic adventure in it's own right. :bacon:

FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.

Post by FredS » Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:09 am

Rules For Building Hot Rods:
1. Calculate your budget beforehand. Then double it.
2. Calculate your schedule beforehand. The quadruple it.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Roadmaster

Post by Roadmaster » Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:24 am

FredS wrote:Rules For Building Hot Rods:
3. If anything bad can happen, it probably will. - Murphy's law
Current Superhero: Departed Light

Thunktank

Post by Thunktank » Mon Aug 24, 2015 4:15 pm

Roadmaster wrote:
FredS wrote:Rules For Building Hot Rods:
3. If anything bad can happen, it probably will. - Murphy's law
Thanks guys. I'm already stressed out. I don't normally do stress but I am now. Tomorrow the flatbed arrives. I think I'll test drive a Subaru Outback to get my mind off of dealing with ancient trucks. :wink:

FredS

Post by FredS » Mon Aug 24, 2015 4:25 pm

I forgot Rule 4.

4. If you're married, you must spent as much or more on baubles and evenings out with your wife as you spend on the car. She'll keep a ledger (even if only mentally) and she must come out ahead at the end of each month.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Thunktank

Post by Thunktank » Mon Aug 24, 2015 4:41 pm

FredS wrote:I forgot Rule 4.

4. If you're married, you must spent as much or more on baubles and evenings out with your wife as you spend on the car. She'll keep a ledger (even if only mentally) and she must come out ahead at the end of each month.
You might be surprised to learn that this hole project was my wife's idea to begin with. I thought she was crazy. I still think she's crazy but less so than before. But anyway, my wife is more into this than I am, though she admits to not wanting to drive it. She's going to leave that part to me.

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Mon Aug 24, 2015 5:25 pm

Thunktank wrote:

You might be surprised to learn that this whole project was my wife's idea to begin with. I thought she was crazy. I still think she's crazy but less so than before. But anyway, my wife is more into this than I am, though she admits to not wanting to drive it. She's going to leave that part to me.

Fixed it for you.

FredS

Post by FredS » Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:01 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Thunktank wrote:

You might be surprised to learn that this whole project was my wife's idea to begin with. I thought she was crazy. I still think she's crazy but less so than before. But anyway, my wife is more into this than I am, though she admits to not wanting to drive it. She's going to leave that part to me.
Fixed it for you.
No, "hole" project was correct. See rule 1.

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:16 pm

FredS wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
Thunktank wrote:

Fixed it for you.
An audible chuckle was heard, sir. Truly was it spoken that an auto restoration project is every bit as expensive as a race horse.

Thunktank

Post by Thunktank » Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:28 pm

hugodrax wrote:
FredS wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
Thunktank wrote:

Fixed it for you.
An audible chuckle was heard, sir. Truly was it spoken that an auto restoration project is every bit as expensive as a race horse.
Don't ask me why I didn't use "whole" in my post. :egor:

It's all good though. I'm positive that I will make a profit with this (if I in fact wanted to sell it) no matter what it ends up costing to build. 8)

But really, I'm also certain that it will make me money without selling it.

Thunktank

Post by Thunktank » Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:41 am

For under 50 dollars we got the DIVCO to San Diego from Riverside without a hitch. :bacon:

Thunktank

Re: The DIVCO projec

Post by Thunktank » Mon Oct 12, 2015 2:16 pm

It will be up and running soon! :dance:

Irish-Dane
I'm a pro at tobacco canning

Post by Irish-Dane » Mon Oct 12, 2015 2:18 pm

Thunktank wrote:It will be up and running soon! :dance:
I get uber excited every time I see this post pop back up.
It's not available because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body. --Colton

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Mon Oct 12, 2015 2:18 pm

Niiice. Looking forward to pics. :taco:
Sola Deo Gloria

Thunktank

Post by Thunktank » Mon Oct 12, 2015 2:42 pm

Gabriel wrote:

I will post some pictures. However, it will not be pretty for a while yet. Other good news is that the Orange County Register has promised to put an article and picture in the Sunday paper on it once it's finished.

Irish-Dane

Post by Irish-Dane » Mon Oct 12, 2015 2:52 pm

Thunktank wrote:
Gabriel wrote:

I will post some pictures. However, it will not be pretty for a while yet. Other good news is that the Orange County Register has promised to put an article and picture in the Sunday paper on it once it's finished.
Running and looking good do NOT have to happen at the same time, and do not both need to happen for all of us to geek out on it.
It's not available because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body. --Colton

FredS

Post by FredS » Mon Oct 12, 2015 3:20 pm

Irish-Dane wrote:
Thunktank wrote:
Gabriel wrote:
Running and looking good do NOT have to happen at the same time, and do not both need to happen for all of us to geek out on it.
True dat. The first time it makes noise is a milestone and should be celebrated regardless of what everything else looks like.

Thunktank

Post by Thunktank » Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:55 pm

FredS wrote:
Irish-Dane wrote:
Thunktank wrote:
Gabriel wrote:
True dat. The first time it makes noise is a milestone and should be celebrated regardless of what everything else looks like.
I'll post a bunch of pictures and give a summery of what's been going on and the challenges faced and solved so far, soon. I've been crazy busy lately and now it's deer season so it's not letting up soon. :egor:

But boy am I having a good time! Death will sneak up quickly at this rate. I wouldn't choose it any other way. :D

I'm also going to be putting together some modifications for my 2016 car that I will acquire soon. It will likely become famous among a certain set of enthusiasts just like I expect this DIVCO will be in another subset. I plan to have the DIVCO and this "2016 car" finished at about the same time. I will aggressively promote both among motorheads plus the DIVCO will quickly become a local favorite. Free ice cream after local school games (in those locations where a snack stand isn't trying to sell stuff of course). It's going to be a blast!

We've also been asked to have this truck done up by a certain TV show. It's tempting, but then I essentially lose control of the project, they then do all sorts of cool things to it only to take half of it back. So much of it purely promotional for everyone but the owner of vehicle. But there was indeed discussion of putting me in a milk man outfit for the cameras. :lol:

I actually find that sort of attention horrifying.

Thunktank

Post by Thunktank » Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:29 pm

I may need some suggestions of great tequilas to bribe my brother in law into getting back on this project he agreed to do. In actuality, he's a bit swamped with work six days a week and 10+ hours a day. This is good for him, he needed the work. As an ex con it's really hard to get a good job.

So far my DIVCO is stripped down and ready to get put together. We have gathered most of the big parts for it. It had to get moved though which has also slowed this project. The lot it was sitting on was hit by arsonists twice. My truck was spared. But anyway, my brother in law and others we know are thinking seriously about taking it to Mexico to get finished by folks we personally know and are practically family with. It's always nice to visit family on "the mountain" or "la montana" and eat fresh fish tacos on the baja. A portion of my wife's family is step or half mothers and brothers are Mexican and this side of them own a mountain along the coast near Porta Nueva, CA. They love having our "white boys" down to visit.