Sex is a choice

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Jocose
a large Chinese man named Wu

Sex is a choice

Post by Jocose » Sun Sep 06, 2015 12:08 am

Sex is a choice.*

Hetero or homosexual .

I made the choice to remain celibate over 5 years ago. (That's a half of a decade with none)

Sure, there's temptation everywhere and it's marketed and sold in the media, but it comes down to choice. It's not like breathing or eating, sleep etc etc, it's a choice.

*Unless you're in a hetero marriage, then there's guidelines.
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

I've crossed the Bosphorus.

SteveH
It's a disgrace. I don't care.

Re: Sex is a choice

Post by SteveH » Sun Sep 06, 2015 12:11 am

In theory, yes. In practise, not for many people, which is why Paul advised people to marry rather than burn with desire.
I don't bother with a Jacuzzi - I just fart in the bath.

Jocose

Post by Jocose » Sun Sep 06, 2015 12:17 am

SteveH wrote:In theory, yes. In practise, not for many people, which is why Paul advised people to marry rather than burn with desire.
ONE WORD:

People choose
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

SteveH

Post by SteveH » Sun Sep 06, 2015 12:18 am

That's two words. I stand by my previous post.
I don't bother with a Jacuzzi - I just fart in the bath.

Jocose

Post by Jocose » Sun Sep 06, 2015 12:23 am

SteveH wrote:That's two words. I stand by my previous post.
I think Paul said that's it's better to marry than burn with passion.

He also said not to seek a wife if you're single.

DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.

Post by DepartedLight » Sun Sep 06, 2015 6:52 am

Jocose wrote:Sex is a choice.*

Hetero or homosexual .

I made the choice to remain celibate over 5 years ago. (That's a half of a decade with none)

Sure, there's temptation everywhere and it's marketed and sold in the media, but it comes down to choice. It's not like breathing or eating, sleep etc etc, it's a choice.

*Unless you're in a hetero marriage, then there's guidelines.
yep.

Maybe we as a society (with me out front) should examine virtue.
DL Jake

All my posts should be viewed from a position of, this guy is nuts.

so, I drank the whisky. » Bloodhound

Jack Swilling
Congregation
Congregation

Post by Jack Swilling » Sun Sep 06, 2015 8:23 am

Clearly that is the ideal, but we live in a fallen world. Paul clearly recommends celibacy, but also realizes most will choose to get married.
"Had his shooting been as good as his running, he might have given a better account of himself."
James. C. Henderson

DAN
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by DAN » Sun Sep 06, 2015 8:28 am

Get real. I choose not to sleep with ladies who clearly (God alone knows why) find me attractive on a regular basis.

There's plenty of 'em out there givin' it away. If it wasn't a choice, you'd be in the sack all day long. The simple fact that you can pick this one over that one says clearly that you are in control.
In search of a sig line that somehow doesn't offend someone who richly deserves it.

jruegg
Mr. Eggs
Mr. Eggs

Post by jruegg » Sun Sep 06, 2015 8:32 am

I (astonishingly) agree with Jocose. But the first choice is not sex, it's lordship. At some point we broken, sinful humans must repent, believe, and give up lordship over ourselves, including our desires.

I think that's one of my biggest spiritual issues and I also believe it to be the church's as well. We often say Jesus is our Lord and savior but we treat him more as our fjord and savior. We want the inflow of living water. We want the blessings. We want to be saved (we know we desperately NEED to be saved!). But we also want to retain lordship over our own lives. It's like we say, "Thanks for that salvation, Jesus. See you next Easter!"

Christ is Lord. That means He's in charge.

I applaud Jocose. I know it can't have been easy (or is easy, or will be easy) to give up lordship of that part of his life. I'm sure he's failed miserably along the way too. But Christ is still Lord.

Kerdy
Smootchie
Smootchie

Post by Kerdy » Sun Sep 06, 2015 10:28 am

Kerderated...
Last edited by Kerdy on Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Let it be understood that those who are not found living as He taught are not Christian- even though they profess with the lips the teaching of Christ." - Justin Martyr  ( c.160 )

“Moral principles do not depend on a majority vote. Wrong is wrong, even if everybody is wrong. Right is right, even if nobody is right.” - Venerable Servant of God, Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen

Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway

Post by Del » Sun Sep 06, 2015 11:44 am

Of course, sexual activity is a personal choice. Otherwise, people would not be able to live out promises of fidelity to one spouse.... or vows of celibacy.

What is the alternative proposition? That human persons are compelled to sexual activity by some sort of animal compulsion?
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you." - Eph 4

Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado

Post by Thunktank » Sun Sep 06, 2015 12:10 pm

Really? Who would thunk?

What if I told you sex doew not exist in a vacuum and that choices are not infinite? :lol:

Del

Post by Del » Sun Sep 06, 2015 1:03 pm

Thunktank wrote:Really? Who would thunk?

What if I told you sex doew not exist in a vacuum and that choices are not infinite? :lol:
If you said that to me, I would have to ask you to explain the non sequiturs.

Yes, we have relationships. And yes, we have limits.

But, um.... what do these have to do with your unspecified premise?

"Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you." - Eph 4

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Sun Sep 06, 2015 1:24 pm

jruegg wrote:I (astonishingly) agree with Jocose. But the first choice is not sex, it's lordship. At some point we broken, sinful humans must repent, believe, and give up lordship over ourselves, including our desires.

I think that's one of my biggest spiritual issues and I also believe it to be the church's as well. We often say Jesus is our Lord and savior but we treat him more as our fjord and savior. We want the inflow of living water. We want the blessings. We want to be saved (we know we desperately NEED to be saved!). But we also want to retain lordship over our own lives. It's like we say, "Thanks for that salvation, Jesus. See you next Easter!"

I applaud Jocose. I know it can't have been easy (or is easy, or will be easy) to give up lordship of that part of his life. I'm sure he's failed miserably along the way too. But Christ is still Lord.
well said, Ruegg
"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)
"No more signatures that quote other CPS members." - Thunk

CW Spook
yarn hank-winder
yarn hank-winder

Post by CW Spook » Sun Sep 06, 2015 2:27 pm

Been married 47 years. Our choice is "YES"!
"The king hath knowledge of all they intend, by interception they dream not of..." - King Henry V: Act 2
--In God we trust. All others we monitor.--

Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado

Post by Thunktank » Sun Sep 06, 2015 2:54 pm

Del wrote:
Thunktank wrote:Really? Who would thunk?

If you said that to me, I would have to ask you to explain the non sequiturs.

Yes, we have relationships. And yes, we have limits.

But, um.... what do these have to do with your unspecified premise?
Jeezus, you're impossible to talk with whenever matters of sex are brought up. For starters I made a light hearted statement that no one was supposed to overthink, but you did. Why am I surprised? And why you jumped to believing I made a non sequitur is beyond me. Why didn't you instead simply ask for my premise if you thought I might have been the least bit serious? Jump to conclusions as usual you did. What little I said should have been found pretty agreeable by everyone here. That sex isn't just an act in itself, that it has consequences and that there are a set number of consequences and choices. So what non sequiturs will you assume about my post now? I shall wait and see. :confused:

Del

Post by Del » Sun Sep 06, 2015 7:45 pm

Thunktank wrote:So what non sequiturs will you assume about my post now? I shall wait and see. :confused:
I'm in a hole already. Best just to stop digging.
=========================================

As to Jocose and the OP:

It used to be a lot easier. My wife and I both had bachelor uncles and spinster aunts on both sides of our parent's families. Our culture respected such people. We did not think them to be weird, or deprived, or desperate.

No one thought they were unnatural in their choice to live chastely.

Onyx
Darth Onyx, Bringer of Unity
Darth Onyx, Bringer of Unity

Post by Onyx » Sun Sep 06, 2015 8:06 pm

Del wrote:
Thunktank wrote:So what non sequiturs will you assume about my post now? I shall wait and see. :confused:
I'm in a hole already. Best just to stop digging.
=========================================

As to Jocose and the OP:

It used to be a lot easier. My wife and I both had bachelor uncles and spinster aunts on both sides of our parent's families. Our culture respected such people. We did not think them to be weird, or deprived, or desperate.

No one thought they were unnatural in their choice to live chastely.
Del, I'm almost tempted to agree with you. I noted this in the recent publicized hunts against bachelors like Cliff Richard and Edward Heath. With no real evidence, their rights and privacy were compromised with innuendo that their confirmed bachelor status was somehow suspicious. It's perfectly fine to be single, and no explanation is required.

Still, some of your relatives might have been gay.
4. No more signatures that quote other CPS members.
-- Thunktank

jruegg
Mr. Eggs
Mr. Eggs

Post by jruegg » Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:02 am

coco wrote:
jruegg wrote:I (astonishingly) agree with Jocose. But the first choice is not sex, it's lordship. At some point we broken, sinful humans must repent, believe, and give up lordship over ourselves, including our desires.

well said, Ruegg
Think "Jesus is my Fjord and Savior" is a google first?

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Mon Sep 07, 2015 5:55 am

jruegg wrote:
coco wrote:

well said, Ruegg
Think "Jesus is my Fjord and Savior" is a google first?
Indeed.

"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)
"No more signatures that quote other CPS members." - Thunk