Pit Barrel Cooker

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
tuttle
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Pit Barrel Cooker

Post by tuttle » Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:40 am

Not sure how many of you dabble in the smoking of meats but there's been a somewhat recent trend towards homemade barrel smokers. There are a few nice manufactured ones out there as well. Well I've been thinking about getting one and lo! and behold! through some professional bbq contacts of mine (I'm from Kansas City...we all have professional bbq contacts) I recently was gifted a Pit Barrel Cooker.

At first glance I thought it seemed a little smaller than your average 55 gal. drum but no matter. I opened the lid and saw that, yes it came with a grate, but it also came with some rebar and hooks. Also, where was the thermometer? What the heck was this? So I did some research online and it turns out that hanging the meat is this little smoker's claim to fame, and apparently it's been getting some rave reviews from back yard enthusiasts to the competition circuit. Now I'm really intrigued and excited about trying this thing out.

Anyone else have or heard of a Pit Barrel Cooker?
"You're my kind of stupid" -Mal Reynolds

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

The Reformation Drinking Song

UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Re: Pit Barrel Cooker

Post by UncleBob » Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:09 pm

I have been looking for smokers to go on sale here. I want to smoke a turkey for Thanksgiving one of these years. 'Round these parts they look like this:

"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:23 pm

Like this? I need to get me one of these.

Mine is very similar to what UB posted. I'm planning to add a high-rise box on the cool end to accommodate a shelf or two and some hangar bars for sausage links.

I've never used a smoker in which everything was on a hangar. Sounds interesting, but when you smoke stuff until it's falling-apart tender, hanging sounds hard to manage.
Last edited by JimVH on Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"When God closes a door, just open it again. It's a door. That's how they work." FredS

FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.

Post by FredS » Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:31 pm

I have a Little Chief smoker that works on the same principal (vertical chimney effect) only it's much smaller and I love it. It's a great size for smoking fish and jerky and because the meat hangs (stop snickering) you can get a better density and smoke more per session. Yours will be good for briskets, ribs and whole hams. The thing I found with my smaller version is that it takes much less wood to get the job done in a vertical smoker than a horizontal type with the box to one side. In fact, in my little guy I can use basically coarse sawdust and shavings. I also have one just like UB posted 'cept mine is a left hand version.

Nice score.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

tuttle
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by tuttle » Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:36 pm

JimVH wrote:Like this? I need to get me one of these.

Mine is very similar to what UB posted. I'm planning to add a high-rise box on the cool end to accommodate a shelf or two and some hangar bars for sausage links.

I've never used a smoker in which everything was on a hangar. Sounds interesting, but when you smoke stuff until it's falling-apart tender, hanging sounds hard to manage.
yep. looks like that.

I was wondering about how well it holds meats as well. I do know for like a pork shoulder you could hang it and later do the foil wrap and use the grate. I think it'll be fun to tinker with. Word is you can hang 8 slabs of ribs in a single go. :chili:

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

JimVH

Post by JimVH » Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:44 pm

This would make sense for me. I often avoid lighting up the smoker for small amounts of meat just because of the wood it takes isn't worth a couple of chickens. I could keep this baby going a whole weekened for a few bucks.
"When God closes a door, just open it again. It's a door. That's how they work." FredS

huddsbaggie
rootle round the ear 'ole

Post by huddsbaggie » Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:49 pm

God Save The King!

Whoops, wrong thread!
"All I know most surely about morality and obligations, I owe to football"
Albert Camus (1913-1960)

GaryInVA
Cheesecake Wizard
Cheesecake Wizard

Post by GaryInVA » Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:28 pm

Looking at this thread makes me extra glad to be going back to the southwest. :chili: :chili: :chili:
"I am not sure what Rusty said or meant but I am pretty sure I want to choke him unconscious" rev

Official London Fatberg Finder

huddsbaggie

Post by huddsbaggie » Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:33 pm

UncleBob wrote:I have been looking for smokers to go on sale here. I want to smoke a turkey for Thanksgiving one of these years. 'Round these parts they look like this:

That's a lovely loco.
"All I know most surely about morality and obligations, I owe to football"
Albert Camus (1913-1960)

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:35 pm

GaryInVA wrote:Looking at this thread makes me extra glad to be going back to the southwest. :chili: :chili: :chili:
:chili: :chili: :chili:

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

JudgeRusty
Didn't even get to wear his hat
Didn't even get to wear his hat

Post by JudgeRusty » Wed Sep 09, 2015 2:29 pm

tuttle wrote:Not sure how many of you dabble in the smoking of meats but there's been a somewhat recent trend towards homemade barrel smokers. There are a few nice manufactured ones out there as well. Well I've been thinking about getting one and lo! and behold! through some professional bbq contacts of mine (I'm from Kansas City...we all have professional bbq contacts) I recently was gifted a Pit Barrel Cooker.

At first glance I thought it seemed a little smaller than your average 55 gal. drum but no matter. I opened the lid and saw that, yes it came with a grate, but it also came with some rebar and hooks. Also, where was the thermometer? What the heck was this? So I did some research online and it turns out that hanging the meat is this little smoker's claim to fame, and apparently it's been getting some rave reviews from back yard enthusiasts to the competition circuit. Now I'm really intrigued and excited about trying this thing out.

Seems to be a variation of the UDS (ugly drum smoker).
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Wed Sep 09, 2015 3:00 pm

JudgeRusty wrote:
tuttle wrote:Not sure how many of you dabble in the smoking of meats but there's been a somewhat recent trend towards homemade barrel smokers. There are a few nice manufactured ones out there as well. Well I've been thinking about getting one and lo! and behold! through some professional bbq contacts of mine (I'm from Kansas City...we all have professional bbq contacts) I recently was gifted a Pit Barrel Cooker.

Oh, I haven't heard of that before.
http://www.instructables.com/id/Build-Y ... moker-UDS/

JimVH

Post by JimVH » Wed Sep 09, 2015 3:28 pm

One dude's comparison of the Pit Barrel Cooker to the UDS:

[BBvideo 560,340]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpWCAP1yvt0[/BBvideo]

FredS

Post by FredS » Wed Sep 09, 2015 3:40 pm

I think we should start calling tuttle "Pitmaster T".
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

tuttle
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by tuttle » Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:32 am

JudgeRusty wrote:

Yeah, that's what I was referring to about the homemade barrel smokers. That's what I thought I was getting, but now I'm pleasantly surprised that it is on the contrary.

JimVH

Post by JimVH » Sun Sep 20, 2015 7:15 pm

tuttle - nice guy, bad influence.

My first outing - This was the easiest, most foolproof smoking I've ever done. It was so nice to just hang the meat, set the lid, and walk away until it was time to eat. It was very low maintenance and my wife said it was the best chicken I had ever cooked.

Next week: ribs

ImageImage

Jocose
a large Chinese man named Wu
a large Chinese man named Wu

Post by Jocose » Sun Sep 20, 2015 7:32 pm

Dang, now I'm hungry.
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

I've crossed the Bosphorus.

dasmokeryaget
Has short thumbs
Has short thumbs

Post by dasmokeryaget » Sun Sep 20, 2015 8:50 pm

Question. I don't use much charcoal. I used wood chunks. If I needed to add wood chunks, is there a way to do so without removing the meat? IE can you lift the barrel away from the charcoal holder and add wood then put it back?

Irish-Dane
I'm a pro at tobacco canning
I'm a pro at tobacco canning

Post by Irish-Dane » Sun Sep 20, 2015 8:55 pm

These look fun.
It's not available because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body. --Colton

JimVH

Post by JimVH » Sun Sep 20, 2015 9:00 pm

dasmokeryaget wrote:Question. I don't use much charcoal. I used wood chunks. If I needed to add wood chunks, is there a way to do so without removing the meat? IE can you lift the barrel away from the charcoal holder and add wood then put it back?
Not without removing the meat, Chuck. The bottom of the barrel is closed and the charcoal tray sets in from the top.

At eight hours mine was still hot enough to cook. I don't know that I'll need more than that.