Pit Barrel Cooker

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Re: Pit Barrel Cooker

Post by UncleBob » Sun Nov 06, 2016 4:49 pm

It took a touch over three hours for a 15 lb bird to read 166.5 F but:

It cooked more quickly than I thought but I added more charcoal at the onset than I normally do. But it was good--really good--and I think this may be the Thanksgiving bird without the rub. I don't think I need this rub with this brine so next time, I will just brush with oil and maybe some cracked, black pepper and into the PBC.

The turkey hanger is worth the money. Really.
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway

Post by Del » Sun Nov 06, 2016 4:56 pm

UncleBob wrote:Lord willing, the Great Turkey Experiment of 2016 will happen this Sunday.
I am also smoking my first turkey today.

The butcher had a 20-pounder that he wanted to get rid of before the new inventory arrived. $10.

I would rather have started with a smaller bird, but you know how it goes.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you." - Eph 4

JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Sun Nov 06, 2016 9:54 pm

UncleBob wrote:It took a touch over three hours for a 15 lb bird to read 166.5 F but:

It cooked more quickly than I thought but I added more charcoal at the onset than I normally do. But it was good--really good--and I think this may be the Thanksgiving bird without the rub. I don't think I need this rub with this brine so next time, I will just brush with oil and maybe some cracked, black pepper and into the PBC.

Hangar ordered.
"When God closes a door, just open it again. It's a door. That's how they work." FredS

Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed

Post by Bloodhound » Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:57 am

JimVH wrote:
UncleBob wrote:It took a touch over three hours for a 15 lb bird to read 166.5 F but:

Hangar ordered.
AND HUNGER is already here.....
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

Del

Post by Del » Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:08 am

White breast was the best I have ever... but the dark meat did not get done enough.

I may take the next turkey up a few more degrees.... Or maybe I will dissect the turkey and cook the dark meat a little longer. I am also intrigued by the notion of spatchcocking the turkey and cooking it on the flat grill.

Mostly, my bird was too big.

This herbal rub is easy and delicious. Simon & Garfunkel Rub.

"Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you." - Eph 4

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:08 am

Bloodhound wrote:
JimVH wrote:

Hangar ordered.
I also used the carcass to make a turkey & rice soup in the crock pot.

That PBC is handy and works well. That was the easiest to cook turkey I have ever been a part of and the flavor was among the best for me. I was surprised at how much of the garlic and jalapeno flavors in the brine presented in the bird--especially the white meat.

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

JimVH

Post by JimVH » Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:31 am

Bloodhound wrote:
JimVH wrote:

Hangar ordered.
I just noticed that I ordered a building in which to park my airplane instead of a device with which to hang a turkey. I'm grateful the impudent didn't rap me on the knuckles for the error.
"When God closes a door, just open it again. It's a door. That's how they work." FredS

Bloodhound

Post by Bloodhound » Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:53 am

Do you have a big airplane? :)
Scott ( aka - Thor )

Bloodhound

Post by Bloodhound » Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:56 am

UB

I like that new avitar
Scott ( aka - Thor )

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Mon Nov 07, 2016 1:11 pm

Bloodhound wrote:UB

I like that new avitar
:chili:

JimVH

Post by JimVH » Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:56 am

My turkey hangers arrived today. Boom.

Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado

Post by Thunktank » Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:08 pm

How much baby sitting do these things need? Do they hold their temperature relatively well? What about in comparison to a Smokey Mountain kettle?

Jester
Pastor
Pastor

Post by Jester » Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:20 pm

Thunktank wrote:How much baby sitting do these things need? Do they hold their temperature relatively well? What about in comparison to a Smokey Mountain kettle?
Virtually none once you figure out where to place the dampers. Some use the term, "Set it and forget it".
I smoke a cigar because the body is a temple and the temple needs incense. -Michael Knowles

Pumpkin Ale is more American than apple pie! -Tuttle

When chaos manifests itself, what makes you think that anyone tame will be good for anything? -Jordan B. Peterson

JimVH

Post by JimVH » Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:27 pm

Jester wrote:
Thunktank wrote:How much baby sitting do these things need? Do they hold their temperature relatively well? What about in comparison to a Smokey Mountain kettle?
Virtually none once you figure out where to place the dampers. Some use the term, "Set it and forget it".
Yep, I just put the lid on and walk away.

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Sun Nov 20, 2016 3:59 pm

Right now, pork loin in the PBC.

That is all.

Del

Post by Del » Sun Nov 20, 2016 4:18 pm

It's not quite as idiot-proof as a crock pot, but it is much easier than any other smoker or kettle that I have used.

I stick a dial thermometer in one of the vent holes and peek at it every 30 minutes or so. If the temp gets a little low, then crack the lid a smidgeon for a little more air flow and the temp climbs back up. It cooks at around 350F or so, so faster than a smoker and more like an oven.

Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado

Post by Thunktank » Sun Nov 20, 2016 6:43 pm

Del wrote:
It's not quite as idiot-proof as a crock pot, but it is much easier than any other smoker or kettle that I have used.

I stick a dial thermometer in one of the vent holes and peek at it every 30 minutes or so. If the temp gets a little low, then crack the lid a smidgeon for a little more air flow and the temp climbs back up. It cooks at around 350F or so, so faster than a smoker and more like an oven.
So do you want it to cook high? There's no low and slow at 350 which defeats many styles of smoking. I already have a kettle that does 350.

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Sun Nov 20, 2016 7:38 pm

Thunktank wrote:
Del wrote:

So do you want it to cook high? There's no low and slow at 350 which defeats many styles of smoking. I already have a kettle that does 350.
Just use less charcoal.

Del

Post by Del » Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:33 pm

Thunktank wrote:
Del wrote:

Like Uncle Bob said. After playing with the PBC a few times, I found that a lot depends on how much hot charcoal you apply at the start of the cook. If you start with fewer hot coals, it will maintain around 270F, which is fine if you really want it low-n-slow. I have to watch mine and futz with the lid to keep it from going out or getting hot.

I know it defies conventional wisdom, but tougher cuts like spareribs still turn out awesome in the Pit Barrel Cooker, even when cooked at temps that are higher than usual for BBQ.

tuttle
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by tuttle » Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:26 am

Del wrote: I know it defies conventional wisdom, but tougher cuts like spareribs still turn out awesome in the Pit Barrel Cooker, even when cooked at temps that are higher than usual for BBQ.
This is true. I'm not sure if it's because of the convection or because they are hung they are in a state of always stretching...but it works. Works so good, I don't even care how.
"You're my kind of stupid" -Mal Reynolds

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

The Reformation Drinking Song