Pit Barrel Cooker

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
tuttle
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Re: Pit Barrel Cooker

Post by tuttle » Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:57 am

For Christmas I received the Turkey Hanger!
"You're my kind of stupid" -Mal Reynolds

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

The Reformation Drinking Song

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:21 pm

UncleBob wrote:Our Christmas soiree at work is this Friday so I will take a smoked pork loin (Lord willing) and a homemade Christmas Orange Habanero Sauce for the side.
I want to know how to make this Christmas Orange Habanero thingy you mention.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Post by UncleBob » Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:29 pm

hugodrax wrote:
UncleBob wrote:Our Christmas soiree at work is this Friday so I will take a smoked pork loin (Lord willing) and a homemade Christmas Orange Habanero Sauce for the side.
Lets see..this is from memory...
  • Orange juice--about 12 oz
  • Brown sugar--around 2 cups
  • Fresh garlic--thin sliced (2 cloves ought to do it)
  • Onion--thin sliced
  • habanero--minced (I used 2)
  • Fresh-squeezed lemon juice (1 lemon)
  • Red pepper flakes (optional; add at the end)
  • salt, pepper, cinnamon, etc. to taste
Heat it all up and whisk. When it starts to thicken (about 10 minutes or so) strain out the veggies. Continue on heat and whisk until is thickens to where you like it. Add some red pepper flakes for a touch more heat but mostly for looks.

EDIT: I also added some orange blossom honey at the end because I had some on hand. Skip suggested some cranberry which I might have done if I had some.
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:06 pm

UncleBob wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
Lets see..this is from memory...
  • Orange juice--about 12 oz
  • Brown sugar--around 2 cups
  • Fresh garlic--thin sliced (2 cloves ought to do it)
  • Onion--thin sliced
  • habanero--minced (I used 2)
  • Fresh-squeezed lemon juice (1 lemon)
  • Red pepper flakes (optional; add at the end)
  • salt, pepper, cinnamon, etc. to taste
Heat it all up and whisk. When it starts to thicken (about 10 minutes or so) strain out the veggies. Continue on heat and whisk until is thickens to where you like it. Add some red pepper flakes for a touch more heat but mostly for looks.

EDIT: I also added some orange blossom honey at the end because I had some on hand. Skip suggested some cranberry which I might have done if I had some.
Thank you. I must try this.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

tuttle
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by tuttle » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:44 am

Tried the turkey hanger last night (with a chicken...)

The site says 2 hours for two halves of a chicken. This one took around three hours. I'm not sure if it was due to the extreme cold or because it was a whole bird. Seems, even without the cold, my run times tend to go longer than the recommended times. I typically light her up exactly as outlined. I might let the coals burn a little longer than 20 minutes next time to see if that changes cook time. I'm still getting used to my setup tho.

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:48 am

tuttle wrote:Tried the turkey hanger last night (with a chicken...)

The site says 2 hours for two halves of a chicken. This one took around three hours. I'm not sure if it was due to the extreme cold or because it was a whole bird. Seems, even without the cold, my run times tend to go longer than the recommended times. I typically light her up exactly as outlined. I might let the coals burn a little longer than 20 minutes next time to see if that changes cook time. I'm still getting used to my setup tho.
I saw a 7 pound capon at the store last night. I think the hanger would be perfect for that.

Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway

Post by Del » Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:28 pm

I ordered a turkey hanger with my original purchase. I could see into the future, and there were already smoked turkeys on the horizon.

Mrs. Del loves smoked turkey in the PBC. She hopes we never have to roast one in the oven again. And leftover turkey makes awesome gumbo, too.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you." - Eph 4

tuttle
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by tuttle » Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:07 pm

Del wrote:I ordered a turkey hanger with my original purchase. I could see into the future, and there were already smoked turkeys on the horizon.

Mrs. Del loves smoked turkey in the PBC. She hopes we never have to roast one in the oven again. And leftover turkey makes awesome gumbo, too.
I made some smokey stock out of the chicken scraps last night!

Del

Post by Del » Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:23 pm

tuttle wrote:
Del wrote:I ordered a turkey hanger with my original purchase. I could see into the future, and there were already smoked turkeys on the horizon.

Homemade chicken stock is a great secret of home-cooking.

But those inedible wingtips from a PBC chicken -- blackened with smokey goodness -- take your own stock to levels that restaurant chefs aspire to!

"Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you." - Eph 4

Jocose
a large Chinese man named Wu
a large Chinese man named Wu

Post by Jocose » Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:43 pm

tuttle wrote:

For X-mad, My friend ordered a smoked turkey from some "famous" Texas smokehouse.
Shipped via UPS in a cooler.

Best damn bird ever.
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

I've crossed the Bosphorus.

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:08 am

It's been almost a month since I used the Pit Barrel--I must rectify this.

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:29 am

I am thinking I need to smoke some pork loin and jalapeno poppers.

tuttle
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by tuttle » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:16 am

Jester and I will be cooking in a BBQ competition at the end of the month.

I'm using the PBC for ribs! (and possibly chicken...) :chili:

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:16 pm

Oh, it's happening right now. 8 lb pork tenderloin, seasoned, and awaiting the coals to be just right.

tuttle
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by tuttle » Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:09 pm

Three slabs gonna be hung up tomorrow. Practice for the BBQ contest (the best kind of practice).

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:43 pm

tuttle wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:16 am
Jester and I will be cooking in a BBQ competition at the end of the month.

I'm using the PBC for ribs! (and possibly chicken...) :chili:
:chili: indeed.

Maybe start a thread on it? Post pics and updates?
Sola Deo Gloria

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Mon May 01, 2017 2:20 pm

This weekend: pork loin, spareribs, and sausage.

Del

Post by Del » Mon May 01, 2017 2:38 pm

A young friend (tuttle-aged is young) got a new PBC a few weeks ago.

We smoked 8 racks of spareribs on Sunday for his family, my family, his wife's parents, a few of his brothers...

Del

Post by Del » Thu May 25, 2017 7:57 pm

Del wrote:
Mon May 01, 2017 2:38 pm
A young friend (tuttle-aged is young) got a new PBC a few weeks ago.

We smoked 8 racks of spareribs on Sunday for his family, my family, his wife's parents, a few of his brothers...
I just got a text from him:
I hate when I'm trying to pray the Rosary but I keep thinking about my Pit Barrel Cooker.

Jester
Elder
Elder

Post by Jester » Fri May 26, 2017 6:41 am

tuttle wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:09 pm
Three slabs gonna be hung up tomorrow. Practice for the BBQ contest (the best kind of practice).
Tuttle, upload the bbq pictures.
It was fun but it was cold. We went up against 60 teams and the majority of them were seasoned professionals. We did fantastic considering we got 27th in ribs on the PBC. Tuttle beat half of those seasoned pros in his first competition appearance. Not even considering we were about the only team that cooked old school. All the teams had sponsored, fancy, set-it and forget-it smokers and we had an old Oklahoma Joe (a.k.a. the Dinosaur #nofeathers). We were up all night in 30 degree weather maintaining the temperature of our rig. While other teams slept soundly we took one hour shifts. Poor Tuttle got the shaft on this part :lol: he only had one sleeping shift :lol: . When he realized this he started up the PBC around 6 in the morning. At noon our cousin had his chicken done and we were like a well oiled machine getting it prepped for turn in. At 12:30 we turned in the ribs (The only thing we cooked on the PBC). 1:00 was pork which had to be turned in pulled because I was unable to slice medallions out of the "money muscle" as they call it in the bbq world. Last we turned in our brisket which had burnt ends that would make a vegetarian cry for mercy to end his anguish. That must have been how all briskets were that day because I think we placed in the 40"s. All in all it was a blast with cigars and pints. I will try and have Tuttle post the pictures and our final results since he seams to be a phantom here lately. Cant wait until next year when the Coal Biters get another chance at victory.
Pumpkin Ale is more American than apple pie! -Tuttle

When chaos manifests itself, what makes you think that anyone tame will be good for anything? -Jordan B. Peterson

Every morning get alone with God and preach his Word into your mind until your heart sings with confidence that you are new and cared for. -John Piper