Pit Barrel Cooker

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Post Reply
User avatar
JudgeRusty
Didn't even get to wear his hat
Didn't even get to wear his hat
Posts: 5584
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:00 pm
Location: VA

Re: Pit Barrel Cooker

Post by JudgeRusty » Fri May 26, 2017 11:55 am

Not a pbc, but

Image
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal

User avatar
tuttle
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar
Posts: 12022
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Middle-west
Contact:

Re: Pit Barrel Cooker

Post by tuttle » Fri May 26, 2017 11:59 am

Jester wrote:
Fri May 26, 2017 6:41 am
tuttle wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:09 pm
Three slabs gonna be hung up tomorrow. Practice for the BBQ contest (the best kind of practice).
Tuttle, upload the bbq pictures.
It was fun but it was cold. We went up against 60 teams and the majority of them were seasoned professionals. We did fantastic considering we got 27th in ribs on the PBC. Tuttle beat half of those seasoned pros in his first competition appearance. Not even considering we were about the only team that cooked old school. All the teams had sponsored, fancy, set-it and forget-it smokers and we had an old Oklahoma Joe (a.k.a. the Dinosaur #nofeathers). We were up all night in 30 degree weather maintaining the temperature of our rig. While other teams slept soundly we took one hour shifts. Poor Tuttle got the shaft on this part :lol: he only had one sleeping shift :lol: . When he realized this he started up the PBC around 6 in the morning. At noon our cousin had his chicken done and we were like a well oiled machine getting it prepped for turn in. At 12:30 we turned in the ribs (The only thing we cooked on the PBC). 1:00 was pork which had to be turned in pulled because I was unable to slice medallions out of the "money muscle" as they call it in the bbq world. Last we turned in our brisket which had burnt ends that would make a vegetarian cry for mercy to end his anguish. That must have been how all briskets were that day because I think we placed in the 40"s. All in all it was a blast with cigars and pints. I will try and have Tuttle post the pictures and our final results since he seams to be a phantom here lately. Cant wait until next year when the Coal Biters get another chance at victory.
Yes it was awesome.

I'll try to find some time to upload pics.
"You're my kind of stupid" -Mal Reynolds

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

The Reformation Drinking Song

User avatar
Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway
Posts: 35717
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Re: Pit Barrel Cooker

Post by Del » Sun May 28, 2017 7:30 pm

JudgeRusty wrote:
Fri May 26, 2017 11:55 am
Not a pbc, but

Image
Yup. Not a $300 PBC. Can it cook 8 slabs of spareribs?
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you." - Eph 4

User avatar
Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores
Posts: 11044
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: central IL

Re: Pit Barrel Cooker

Post by Gabriel » Sun May 28, 2017 7:34 pm

tuttle wrote:
Fri May 26, 2017 11:59 am
Jester wrote:
Fri May 26, 2017 6:41 am
tuttle wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:09 pm
Three slabs gonna be hung up tomorrow. Practice for the BBQ contest (the best kind of practice).
Tuttle, upload the bbq pictures.
It was fun but it was cold. We went up against 60 teams and the majority of them were seasoned professionals. We did fantastic considering we got 27th in ribs on the PBC. Tuttle beat half of those seasoned pros in his first competition appearance. Not even considering we were about the only team that cooked old school. All the teams had sponsored, fancy, set-it and forget-it smokers and we had an old Oklahoma Joe (a.k.a. the Dinosaur #nofeathers). We were up all night in 30 degree weather maintaining the temperature of our rig. While other teams slept soundly we took one hour shifts. Poor Tuttle got the shaft on this part :lol: he only had one sleeping shift :lol: . When he realized this he started up the PBC around 6 in the morning. At noon our cousin had his chicken done and we were like a well oiled machine getting it prepped for turn in. At 12:30 we turned in the ribs (The only thing we cooked on the PBC). 1:00 was pork which had to be turned in pulled because I was unable to slice medallions out of the "money muscle" as they call it in the bbq world. Last we turned in our brisket which had burnt ends that would make a vegetarian cry for mercy to end his anguish. That must have been how all briskets were that day because I think we placed in the 40"s. All in all it was a blast with cigars and pints. I will try and have Tuttle post the pictures and our final results since he seams to be a phantom here lately. Cant wait until next year when the Coal Biters get another chance at victory.
Yes it was awesome.

I'll try to find some time to upload pics.
Sounds amazing.
Sola Deo Gloria

User avatar
mustangii
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar
Posts: 1512
Joined: Fri May 09, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Warrensburg MO
Contact:

Re: Pit Barrel Cooker

Post by mustangii » Sun May 28, 2017 8:09 pm

just found this thread, now I want one.
edm
In the begining was the Word, and the Word was with God, and The Word was God. John 1:1
ASE Master Certified Tech
Chrysler Master Certified Tech

User avatar
JudgeRusty
Didn't even get to wear his hat
Didn't even get to wear his hat
Posts: 5584
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:00 pm
Location: VA

Re: Pit Barrel Cooker

Post by JudgeRusty » Sun May 28, 2017 9:13 pm

Del wrote:
Sun May 28, 2017 7:30 pm
JudgeRusty wrote:
Fri May 26, 2017 11:55 am
Not a pbc, but

Image
Yup. Not a $300 PBC. Can it cook 8 slabs of spareribs?
Yep, that's about what I paid I think at academy several years ago-longhorn (used to be ok joes I think), 8 would be about the limit, I use a rib rack to hold ribs vertical so 8 or 10. But baby back slabs are easier to handle in the rib racks. It also requires a lot of baby sitting. Practically, a pbc would probably be a better choice for the every now and then smoker.
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal

User avatar
UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician
Posts: 32420
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2004 6:00 pm
Location: Lubbock, TX USA
Contact:

Re: Pit Barrel Cooker

Post by UncleBob » Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:33 pm

Yesterday I cooked pork chops and jalapeno sausage in the PBC. I also smoked the vegetables and the mango for the hot sauce using pecan wood. The smokiness really makes a positive difference. Mrs UB says that I have to make it this way from now on.

And now, for you amusement, a dancing jalapeno: :chili:
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

User avatar
GaryInVA
Cheesecake Wizard
Cheesecake Wizard
Posts: 3306
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: House in VA, living and working in Los Alamos, NM

Re: Pit Barrel Cooker

Post by GaryInVA » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:51 pm

UncleBob wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:33 pm
Yesterday I cooked pork chops and jalapeno sausage in the PBC. I also smoked the vegetables and the mango for the hot sauce using pecan wood. The smokiness really makes a positive difference. Mrs UB says that I have to make it this way from now on.

And now, for you amusement, a dancing jalapeno: :chili:
My next trip for work to Amarillo I may have to swing a bit south of I40 on the way back.
"I am not sure what Rusty said or meant but I am pretty sure I want to choke him unconscious" rev

Official London Fatberg Finder

User avatar
UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician
Posts: 32420
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2004 6:00 pm
Location: Lubbock, TX USA
Contact:

Re: Pit Barrel Cooker

Post by UncleBob » Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:36 pm

GaryInVA wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:51 pm
UncleBob wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:33 pm
Yesterday I cooked pork chops and jalapeno sausage in the PBC. I also smoked the vegetables and the mango for the hot sauce using pecan wood. The smokiness really makes a positive difference. Mrs UB says that I have to make it this way from now on.

And now, for you amusement, a dancing jalapeno: :chili:
My next trip for work to Amarillo I may have to swing a bit south of I40 on the way back.
I'm headed to Amarillo tomorrow.
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

User avatar
Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores
Posts: 11044
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: central IL

Re: Pit Barrel Cooker

Post by Gabriel » Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:57 pm

UncleBob wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:33 pm
Yesterday I cooked pork chops and jalapeno sausage in the PBC. I also smoked the vegetables and the mango for the hot sauce using pecan wood. The smokiness really makes a positive difference. Mrs UB says that I have to make it this way from now on.

And now, for you amusement, a dancing jalapeno: :chili:
I would love to hear some of your experience, advice, recipes for hot sauces. I've got tabasco peppers growing now. I haven't attempted any hot sauce in years and it was only so- so.
Sola Deo Gloria

User avatar
UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician
Posts: 32420
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2004 6:00 pm
Location: Lubbock, TX USA
Contact:

Re: Pit Barrel Cooker

Post by UncleBob » Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:25 pm

Gabriel wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:57 pm
UncleBob wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:33 pm
Yesterday I cooked pork chops and jalapeno sausage in the PBC. I also smoked the vegetables and the mango for the hot sauce using pecan wood. The smokiness really makes a positive difference. Mrs UB says that I have to make it this way from now on.

And now, for you amusement, a dancing jalapeno: :chili:
I would love to hear some of your experience, advice, recipes for hot sauces. I've got tabasco peppers growing now. I haven't attempted any hot sauce in years and it was only so- so.
Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

User avatar
Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Posts: 20858
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Ad Orientem

Re: Pit Barrel Cooker

Post by Thunktank » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:37 pm

I'll bet I could smoke good meat from a white moose on this thing.

User avatar
Jester
Pastor
Pastor
Posts: 761
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:10 pm
Location: Missouri

Re: Pit Barrel Cooker

Post by Jester » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:30 am

Thunktank wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:37 pm
I'll bet I could smoke good meat from a white moose on this thing.
:rotfl:
I smoke a cigar because the body is a temple and the temple needs incense. -Michael Knowles

Pumpkin Ale is more American than apple pie! -Tuttle

When chaos manifests itself, what makes you think that anyone tame will be good for anything? -Jordan B. Peterson

User avatar
Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores
Posts: 11044
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: central IL

Re: Pit Barrel Cooker

Post by Gabriel » Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:58 pm

UncleBob wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:25 pm
Gabriel wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:57 pm
UncleBob wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:33 pm
Yesterday I cooked pork chops and jalapeno sausage in the PBC. I also smoked the vegetables and the mango for the hot sauce using pecan wood. The smokiness really makes a positive difference. Mrs UB says that I have to make it this way from now on.

And now, for you amusement, a dancing jalapeno: :chili:
I would love to hear some of your experience, advice, recipes for hot sauces. I've got tabasco peppers growing now. I haven't attempted any hot sauce in years and it was only so- so.
Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
Sola Deo Gloria

User avatar
UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician
Posts: 32420
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2004 6:00 pm
Location: Lubbock, TX USA
Contact:

Re: Pit Barrel Cooker

Post by UncleBob » Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:29 pm

Gabriel wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:58 pm

Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

User avatar
Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed
Posts: 5909
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: Rocky Mountains / Colorado
Contact:

Re: Pit Barrel Cooker

Post by Bloodhound » Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:38 pm

Bob you have inspired me...I love all things chili and salsa and spicy in the Fall! Thank you
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

User avatar
UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician
Posts: 32420
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2004 6:00 pm
Location: Lubbock, TX USA
Contact:

Re: Pit Barrel Cooker

Post by UncleBob » Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:28 pm

Bloodhound wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:38 pm
Bob you have inspired me...I love all things chili and salsa and spicy in the Fall! Thank you
:chili:
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

User avatar
UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician
Posts: 32420
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2004 6:00 pm
Location: Lubbock, TX USA
Contact:

Re: Pit Barrel Cooker

Post by UncleBob » Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:10 pm

Smoked pork loin with bourbon brown sugar glaze and veggies

Image
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

User avatar
Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway
Posts: 35717
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Re: Pit Barrel Cooker

Post by Del » Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:55 am

9 lbs of pulled pork shoulder.

8 racks of pork spareribs.

Party for 40 people.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you." - Eph 4

User avatar
UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician
Posts: 32420
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2004 6:00 pm
Location: Lubbock, TX USA
Contact:

Re: Pit Barrel Cooker

Post by UncleBob » Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:09 pm

I am making more salsa today and I will throw on some chicken breasts.
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

Post Reply