Pit Barrel Cooker

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
tuttle
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Re: Pit Barrel Cooker

Post by tuttle » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:27 am

A friend of mine invited a bunch of folks out for Labor Day. The day before I found out the plan was to.... :scared: boil :scared: ....the ribs.

Friends don't let friends boil ribs.

So I offered my services, hauled my PBC (super easy to haul!) to his place and we hung four slabs. Saved the day. PBC for the win.

:chili:
"You're my kind of stupid" -Mal Reynolds

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

The Reformation Drinking Song

Jester
Elder
Elder

Post by Jester » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:05 am

tuttle wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:27 am
A friend of mine invited a bunch of folks out for Labor Day. The day before I found out the plan was to.... :scared: boil :scared: ....the ribs.

So I offered my services, hauled my PBC (super easy to haul!) to his place and we hung four slabs. Saved the day. PBC for the win.

Boiled ribs is soup dummy
Pumpkin Ale is more American than apple pie! -Tuttle

When chaos manifests itself, what makes you think that anyone tame will be good for anything? -Jordan B. Peterson

Every morning get alone with God and preach his Word into your mind until your heart sings with confidence that you are new and cared for. -John Piper

Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway

Post by Del » Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:11 pm

tuttle wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:27 am

You did a heroic thing there, Rich. Acts of charity count!

I remember when I was a little boy. My father and mother were going to try a new technique: "parboiled" ribs.

Pre-pare the ribs in boiling water the day before, then lay them on the grill for a quick smokey sear before serving. Quick, easy, ready when you want them.

Only you didn't want them. The texture was all wrong, like hotdog-on-a-bone. (Inspiration the McRib Sandwich, I'm sure.)

We never tried that again. Sufficiently traumatic that I remember it to this day.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you." - Eph 4

UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Post by UncleBob » Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:03 pm

Chicken breasts and jalapeno sausage tonight.
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

Del

Post by Del » Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:31 am

A couple of chickens.

A probably a pan of macaroni & cheese.

"Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you." - Eph 4

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:44 pm

Smoking veggies for hot sauce. Also some jalapeno sausage, green chili sausage, and Italian hot sausage. After that, some pineapple in cinnamon, bourbon, and sugar glaze.

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:07 pm

You're smoking a pineapple. I'm intrigued. Can I suggest you write down the recipe (please, please call it "Erinmore Smoked Pineapple") and send it to the good folks at Dole Plantation? They're always trying to get new recipes for the tourists.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed

Post by Bloodhound » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:05 am

hugodrax wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:07 pm
You're smoking a pineapple. I'm intrigued. Can I suggest you write down the recipe (please, please call it "Erinmore Smoked Pineapple") and send it to the good folks at Dole Plantation? They're always trying to get new recipes for the tourists.
Be careful what you ask for...Uncle Bob's recipes are addictive. My family cannot get enough of the salsa that he gave me the recipe for...they go through it faster than I can make it. Again Thank you UB
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:22 am

Bloodhound wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:05 am
hugodrax wrote:
Be careful what you ask for...Uncle Bob's recipes are addictive. My family cannot get enough of the salsa that he gave me the recipe for...they go through it faster than I can make it. Again Thank you UB

Del

Post by Del » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:23 am

Employees at my wife's work have decided to have a potluck lunch on Thursday. Mrs. Del is a manager, so she volunteered to bring a main dish.

Specifically, she volunteered me to smoke 15 lbs of pork shoulder for pulled pork sandwiches.

Go PBC!

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:29 am

hugodrax wrote:
It's really simple. I mix golden brown sugar and a little salt, spread it on a plate, and coat the pineapple rings. Then on to the grill. Then I make the glaze:
  • melted butter
  • golden brown sugar
  • a dash of cinnamon
  • a touch of salt
  • a shot (or so) of bourbon (I like Buffalo Trace)
Whisk together, heat until boil then lower heat and stir until thickened. Brush on pineapple as they grill or smoke depending.

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:40 am

UncleBob wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:29 am
hugodrax wrote:
It's really simple. I mix golden brown sugar and a little salt, spread it on a plate, and coat the pineapple rings. Then on to the grill. Then I make the glaze:
  • melted butter
  • golden brown sugar
  • a dash of cinnamon
  • a touch of salt
  • a shot (or so) of bourbon (I like Buffalo Trace)
Whisk together, heat until boil then lower heat and stir until thickened. Brush on pineapple as they grill or smoke depending.

I am grateful. My wife spent months at a time on Oahu as a child and I've been there enough to fall in love with the place, which is really just a long way of saying we always have pineapples around the house and I like to find new uses for the things. I foresee this being modified into smoked pineapple spam musubi.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

Del

Post by Del » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:07 pm

Del wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:23 am
Employees at my wife's work have decided to have a potluck lunch on Thursday. Mrs. Del is a manager, so she volunteered to bring a main dish.

Specifically, she volunteered me to smoke 15 lbs of pork shoulder for pulled pork sandwiches.

Go PBC!

Am up late now, ignoring 16 lb of pork on the cooker.

Del

Post by Del » Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:42 am

Del wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:07 pm
Del wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:23 am

Go PBC!

Am up late now, ignoring 16 lb of pork on the cooker.
Huge success! -- Although I didn't get to taste any. Mrs. Del took the whole hunks of meat and pulled them at the office for serving.

One of her coworkers sent an email:
Coming from a person who smokes food all the time...

And eats the food all the time....

And whose husband and friend took Grand Champion this past weekend in the Smoke in the Valley Smoke Off in Spring Green, your pulled pork is

Aw, shucks! :oops:

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:26 pm

I was "voluntold" to take hot sauce to a party tonight so I will be smoking veggies in the PBC this evening.