Pit Barrel Cooker

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Re: Pit Barrel Cooker

Post by JimVH » Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:58 am

I don't get why y'all have to play with lid for the temperature? Once I got the draft cover dialed in I never had to touch anything again. I hang the meat and ignore it until supper time.
"When God closes a door, just open it again. It's a door. That's how they work." FredS

Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway

Post by Del » Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:22 am

JimVH wrote:I don't get why y'all have to play with lid for the temperature? Once I got the draft cover dialed in I never had to touch anything again. I hang the meat and ignore it until supper time.
In my case, I was initially quite timid about putting a whole lot of hot coals onto the pile of briquets. As a result, the fire didn't get hot enough to sustain.

Once I got the nerve to get the chimney good and fully started, I enjoyed the advertised result of care-free operation.

Plus, I'm a pipe-smoker and I just enjoy fiddling with fire.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you." - Eph 4

JimVH

Post by JimVH » Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:54 am

Del wrote:
JimVH wrote:I don't get why y'all have to play with lid for the temperature? Once I got the draft cover dialed in I never had to touch anything again. I hang the meat and ignore it until supper time.
In my case, I was initially quite timid about putting a whole lot of hot coals onto the pile of briquets. As a result, the fire didn't get hot enough to sustain.

Once I got the nerve to get the chimney good and fully started, I enjoyed the advertised result of care-free operation.

Plus, I'm a pipe-smoker and I just enjoy fiddling with fire.
I get that. I have the desire to mess with it and sometimes have to force myself to leave it alone.
"When God closes a door, just open it again. It's a door. That's how they work." FredS

Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado

Post by Thunktank » Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:14 pm

Del wrote:
Thunktank wrote:
Del wrote:
Thunktank wrote:How much baby sitting do these things need? Do they hold their temperature relatively well? What about in comparison to a Smokey Mountain kettle?
It's not quite as idiot-proof as a crock pot, but it is much easier than any other smoker or kettle that I have used.

I stick a dial thermometer in one of the vent holes and peek at it every 30 minutes or so. If the temp gets a little low, then crack the lid a smidgeon for a little more air flow and the temp climbs back up. It cooks at around 350F or so, so faster than a smoker and more like an oven.
So do you want it to cook high? There's no low and slow at 350 which defeats many styles of smoking. I already have a kettle that does 350.
Like Uncle Bob said. After playing with the PBC a few times, I found that a lot depends on how much hot charcoal you apply at the start of the cook. If you start with fewer hot coals, it will maintain around 270F, which is fine if you really want it low-n-slow. I have to watch mine and futz with the lid to keep it from going out or getting hot.

I know it defies conventional wisdom, but tougher cuts like spareribs still turn out awesome in the Pit Barrel Cooker, even when cooked at temps that are higher than usual for BBQ.
I don't know for sure, but I suspect it has to do with the volume of the barrel. It's conducive to maintaining even temps throughout.

I am encouraged to use my Weber Kettle grill for smoking again though. It's been a while. It works surprisingly well with the "modified minion" method and smaller amounts of meat. I can keep it at about 250 for a long time this way. Though I need to watch it carefully. It's fine for a family with less than six mouths to feed. Forget BBQ on the social level with it though. This is why I'm considering a pit barrel.

UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Post by UncleBob » Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:35 pm

Thunktank wrote:
Del wrote:
Thunktank wrote:
Del wrote:
Thunktank wrote:How much baby sitting do these things need? Do they hold their temperature relatively well? What about in comparison to a Smokey Mountain kettle?
It's not quite as idiot-proof as a crock pot, but it is much easier than any other smoker or kettle that I have used.

I stick a dial thermometer in one of the vent holes and peek at it every 30 minutes or so. If the temp gets a little low, then crack the lid a smidgeon for a little more air flow and the temp climbs back up. It cooks at around 350F or so, so faster than a smoker and more like an oven.
So do you want it to cook high? There's no low and slow at 350 which defeats many styles of smoking. I already have a kettle that does 350.
Like Uncle Bob said. After playing with the PBC a few times, I found that a lot depends on how much hot charcoal you apply at the start of the cook. If you start with fewer hot coals, it will maintain around 270F, which is fine if you really want it low-n-slow. I have to watch mine and futz with the lid to keep it from going out or getting hot.

I know it defies conventional wisdom, but tougher cuts like spareribs still turn out awesome in the Pit Barrel Cooker, even when cooked at temps that are higher than usual for BBQ.
I don't know for sure, but I suspect it has to do with the volume of the barrel. It's conducive to maintaining even temps throughout.

I am encouraged to use my Weber Kettle grill for smoking again though. It's been a while. It works surprisingly well with the "modified minion" method and smaller amounts of meat. I can keep it at about 250 for a long time this way. Though I need to watch it carefully. It's fine for a family with less than six mouths to feed. Forget BBQ on the social level with it though. This is why I'm considering a pit barrel.
Here in TEE-haus we have all kinds of set-ups like this:

The Pit Barell can smoke at least 8 racks of ribs at once or two 20lb+ turkeys at once. It's had to beat what you can smoke in the little space it takes up--unlike that contraption above. Now don't get me wrong, I would love that contraption but the $299 for a PBC would cover only the cost of the tires.
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

JimVH

Post by JimVH » Fri Nov 25, 2016 12:06 am

Two 12-pound turkeys, one Cajun injected butter marinade and the other traditional, and exactly four-hours hang time...

Perfection.

It was by far the best turkey I've ever cooked and my family RAVED about it All day.

Boom.

Del

Post by Del » Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:20 am

My second try at a smoked turkey, and it turned out even better than our first!

The tricky part of roasting a turkey is that the dark meat wants to be cooked to a higher temp than the breast will tolerate. I found a hack on the internet: lay an ice pack on the breast for a few hours before putting the turkey into the oven/cooker. When the breast hits its final temp, the whole turkey is happy.

10.6-lb turkey, fully thawed.

Night before: Rub with 5 tsp kosher salt (1/2 tsp per lb, per Meathead's wisdom). Leave turkey in fridge uncovered so the skin can dry out a bit.

Day of cook:
Rub turkey with olive oil and a generous sprinkle of herbal rub. Simon & Garfunkel Rub

Probe into the breast. Looking for 160F.

Hang in the PBC. Two hunks of hickory. PBC holds steady at 350F (+/- 10 degrees).

Single turkey was done in two hours. Tent with foil and rest for about 30 minutes.

The wings were overdone a bit -- they will go into the gumbo. The rest of the turkey was magnificent.... Mrs. Del couldn't stop raving about it. Best turkey ever.

Picked the meat off the bones and made of stock of the neck & carcass. Those smokey wing tips pack a lot of flavor.

This is a really stupid-easy way to cook a turkey.

It would work in a Weber kettle, too. If I were to using a kettle, I would like to try this technique and spatchcock the turkey.

"Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you." - Eph 4

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Fri Nov 25, 2016 11:44 am

JimVH wrote:Two 12-pound turkeys, one Cajun injected butter marinade and the other traditional, and exactly four-hours hang time...

Perfection.

It was by far the best turkey I've ever cooked and my family RAVED about it All day.

Boom.
:chili:

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

Del

Post by Del » Mon Dec 12, 2016 2:18 pm

I have a brisket for Christmas.

Anyone tried a brisket in the PBC yet?

The video recipe on the website recommends rub, hanging to a mid-temp, then wrapping in foil with liquid until done. That wouldn't be bad, but I fear there won't be any bark on the brisket.

JimVH

Post by JimVH » Mon Dec 12, 2016 2:23 pm

Del wrote:I have a brisket for Christmas.

Anyone tried a brisket in the PBC yet?

The video recipe on the website recommends rub, hanging to a mid-temp, then wrapping in foil with liquid until done. That wouldn't be bad, but I fear there won't be any bark on the brisket.
I have not. I'm apprehensive about hanging one, but I do plan to try one on the rack.

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Mon Dec 12, 2016 2:27 pm

Our Christmas soiree at work is this Friday so I will take a smoked pork loin (Lord willing) and a homemade Christmas Orange Habanero Sauce for the side.

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:40 pm

UncleBob wrote:Our Christmas soiree at work is this Friday so I will take a smoked pork loin (Lord willing) and a homemade Christmas Orange Habanero Sauce for the side.
Can you tell us more about this Christmas Orange Habanero sauce? It intrigues me.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

Del

Post by Del » Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:05 am

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:27 am

UncleBob wrote:Our Christmas soiree at work is this Friday so I will take a smoked pork loin (Lord willing) and a homemade Christmas Orange Habanero Sauce for the side.
This is happening today. Right now, even as I type this, that pork loin is getting smoked.

JimVH

Post by JimVH » Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:53 am

UncleBob wrote:
This is happening today. Right now, even as I type this, that pork loin is getting smoked.
It's as if I can smell it from here.

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:07 am

UncleBob wrote:
Somebody want to act as a proxy and ask him about the Orange Habanero sauce?
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:08 am

JimVH wrote:
UncleBob wrote:
:taco:

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:38 pm

UncleBob wrote:
JimVH wrote:
UncleBob wrote:
Mission accomplished, although I ran out of time for the sauce. I needed another 10 minutes or so to get it to thicken properly. But it will be tasty for Christmas at the Casa de UB and the loin disappeared first anyway.

Del

Post by Del » Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:07 pm

hugodrax wrote:
UncleBob wrote:
Somebody want to act as a proxy and ask him about the Orange Habanero sauce?
Sure, I will.

Hey, Bob! Tell us about your Christmas Orange Habanero Sauce!

I found this. Is it close?
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/bobb ... ecipe.html

JimVH

Post by JimVH » Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:08 pm

UncleBob wrote:
UncleBob wrote:
JimVH wrote:
UncleBob wrote:
Mission accomplished, although I ran out of time for the sauce. I needed another 10 minutes or so to get it to thicken properly. But it will be tasty for Christmas at the Casa de UB and the loin disappeared first anyway.
Victory is yours.