Surveys About Millennials

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Re: Surveys About Millennials

Post by hugodrax » Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:29 pm

Onyx wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:25 pm
Nobody mention Iceland.
I think about Canada more than I think about Iceland.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

TNLawPiper
BrotherOfTheBriar YouHeartlessBastards

Post by TNLawPiper » Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:57 pm

I wonder how they feel about the way people feel about them.

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:04 pm

TNLawPiper wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:57 pm
Who?
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

TNLawPiper

Post by TNLawPiper » Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:16 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:04 pm
TNLawPiper wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:57 pm
Who?
Right??

Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway

Post by Del » Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:17 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:29 pm
Onyx wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:25 pm
Nobody mention Iceland.
I think about Canada more than I think about Iceland.
I set the voice of Siri on my i-phone to speak with an Australian accent. I'm multicultural.

And synthetic Australian girls are hotter.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you." - Eph 4

UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Post by UncleBob » Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:56 pm

"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

TwoXseveN
I'm the Sassy One

Post by TwoXseveN » Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:23 pm

Never heard of a millennial.
I'm what some CPS'ers have called, "Better than advertised".

TwoXseveN
I'm the Sassy One

Post by TwoXseveN » Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:28 pm

Psht.

And just as an fyi, my favorite plants' are "Charlottesville" and "South Banksy".

TNLawPiper

Post by TNLawPiper » Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:45 pm

TwoXseveN wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:23 pm
Never heard of a millennial.
LOL read a Snapchat, hipster doofus!

SlowToke
John Crosby's Friend
John Crosby's Friend

Post by SlowToke » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:25 pm

If you guys don't mind, we were having a very productive conversation about Cap'n Crunch cereals here.
Wayne Teipen
http://teipenpipes.com
"Fools have no interest in understanding; they only want to air their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2

"Life is tough, and it's tougher when you're stupid." -- John Wayne

Sanchez
Salted Nutmeats of Upper Cornholeshire
Salted Nutmeats of Upper Cornholeshire

Post by Sanchez » Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:07 pm

Upon yellow upon that rubs seeing of;
Smoke a the its back drains the pools stand fall evening.
Soot into;
Once it;
Falls that;
The made night window-panes lingered back its the;
Yellow slipped terrace muzzle.
October about the house licked that corners tongue its.
Its that the the the window-panes.
By a soft leap the in the was;
That asleep chimneys rubs on fog from let fell and and curled;
Sudden upon;
For I am a poor and a wretched boy:
A chimbley, chimbley sweep.

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:11 am

What possesses them: why millennials are embracing witchcraft and astrology
Meanwhile, more than half of young adults in the U.S. believe astrology is a science. compared to less than 8% of the Chinese public. The psychic services industry — which includes astrology, aura reading, mediumship, tarot-card reading and palmistry, among other metaphysical services — grew 2% between 2011 and 2016. It is now worth $2 billion annually, according to industry analysis firm IBIS World.
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by durangopipe » Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:39 pm

UncleBob wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:11 am
Meanwhile, more than half of young adults in the U.S. believe astrology is a science. compared to less than 8% of the Chinese public. The psychic services industry — which includes astrology, aura reading, mediumship, tarot-card reading and palmistry, among other metaphysical services — grew 2% between 2011 and 2016. It is now worth $2 billion annually, according to industry analysis firm IBIS World.
Metaphysical services?
The horror. The horror.
The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.

J.R.R. Tolkien

Wherever we go in the world we find other men speaking the same language...dreaming the same dreams. And one of the big four - brownie, or brookie, cutthroat or rainbow - is the cause of it all.

Roderick Haig-Brown

Del

Post by Del » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:46 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:39 pm
Uncle Bubba wrote:
Metaphysical services?
The horror. The horror.
“Whether it be spell-casting, tarot, astrology, meditation and trance, or herbalism, these traditions offer tangible ways for people to enact change in their lives,” she said. “For a generation that grew up in a world of big industry, environmental destruction, large and oppressive governments, and toxic social structures, all of which seem too big to change, this can be incredibly attractive.”
The point of a good philosophy and/or religion is to change and improve one's self, and to get along with reality as well as possible.

But if a generation is coddled and raised to believe that they are already perfect individuals and the universe owes them happiness, then any discomfort is reality's fault. And so they turn to pagan magicks, going to marches and protests, http://www.newsweek.com/americans-screa ... at the sky, and otherwise imposing their emotions to bring about "the Change."

"Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you." - Eph 4

Rusty
Come and see the violence inherent in the system!
Come and see the violence inherent in the system!

Post by Rusty » Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:40 pm

Del wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:46 pm
durangopipe wrote:
Uncle Bubba wrote:
Metaphysical services?
The horror. The horror.
“Whether it be spell-casting, tarot, astrology, meditation and trance, or herbalism, these traditions offer tangible ways for people to enact change in their lives,” she said. “For a generation that grew up in a world of big industry, environmental destruction, large and oppressive governments, and toxic social structures, all of which seem too big to change, this can be incredibly attractive.”
The point of a good philosophy and/or religion is to change and improve one's self, and to get along with reality as well as possible.

But if a generation is coddled and raised to believe that they are already perfect individuals and the universe owes them happiness, then any discomfort is reality's fault. And so they turn to pagan magicks, going to marches and protests, http://www.newsweek.com/americans-screa ... at the sky, and otherwise imposing their emotions to bring about "the Change."
LOL! "they are already perfect"? How about not fallen - no original sin.
More faith communities, Del. Whether it's a fad or something more permanent will show in time. Most of this was prevalent in the 70's too. But maybe the young will make something more of it. There is a curious spectrum of stuff. Given their interest in spirituality it should surprise us that orthodox religion has failed to connect with these folks.

When I was young and in university I used to socialize with ladies, in the summer, that were involved or interested in astrology and other things (often Celtic in fact) far from my worldview. Initially the discovery that some of them knew the night sky as well or better than I did but had a totally different idea of it all was fascinating. These were not engineers or physics students. Sometimes they were in fine art programs at different schools than mine.
A mood rises just to have.

Though it is not too sweet, the citreous marble design is refreshing womanfully, and a mood rises just to have.

~ Pen review (Onishi-seisakusho Fountain pen Acetate Lemon) on a Japanese site

Del

Post by Del » Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:36 pm

Rusty wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:40 pm
Del wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:46 pm
durangopipe wrote:
Uncle Bubba wrote:
Metaphysical services?
The horror. The horror.

LOL! "they are already perfect"? How about not fallen - no original sin.
More faith communities, Del. Whether it's a fad or something more permanent will show in time. Most of this was prevalent in the 70's too. But maybe the young will make something more of it. There is a curious spectrum of stuff. Given their interest in spirituality it should surprise us that orthodox religion has failed to connect with these folks.

When I was young and in university I used to socialize with ladies, in the summer, that were involved or interested in astrology and other things (often Celtic in fact) far from my worldview. Initially the discovery that some of them knew the night sky as well or better than I did but had a totally different idea of it all was fascinating. These were not engineers or physics students. Sometimes they were in fine art programs at different schools than mine.
I think the article is mostly sensationalism. I rather doubt that young people are more enthralled with neo-pagan mythologies than previous generations. I remember the '70's well. Lots of jibber-jabber about youths experimenting with oddball spiritualies. I was a young person then.... didn't know anybody who dabbled. But I read about it.

However, you do have a point: The mainstream religions often fail to provide an encounter with the supernatural. They fail to meet the the reality test of a young person who naturally intuits the reality of the supernatural. So he or she becomes an honest pagan -- seeking God through their imagination.

TwoXseveN
I'm the Sassy One

Post by TwoXseveN » Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:28 am

I'll be in Iceland next month.

Not sure if this is relevant...

Del

Post by Del » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:24 pm

TwoXseveN wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:28 am

Be sure to hug a Down Syndrome child, if you can find any.

philofumo
BROTHERSMOKE, Bizarrely Packaged Wealth of Information
BROTHERSMOKE, Bizarrely Packaged Wealth of Information

Post by philofumo » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:32 am

Del wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:24 pm
TwoXseveN wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:28 am

Be sure to hug a Down Syndrome child, if you can find any.
I love that song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8L64BcCRDAE