Surveys About Millennials

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Surveys About Millennials

Post by UncleBob » Tue Nov 03, 2015 3:38 pm

Some findings:
  • The share of Americans who say they are "absolutely certain" that God exists has dropped 8 percentage points, from 71 percent to 63 percent, since 2007, when the last comparable study was made.
  • The percentage of adults who describe themselves as "religiously affiliated" has shrunk 6 points since 2007, from 83 percent to 77 percent.
  • The shares of the U.S. adult population who consider religion "very important" to them, pray daily and attend services at least once a month have declined between 3 and 4 percentage points over the past eight years.
The shift is small but statistically significant, according to the authors, given that the changes have taken place in a relatively short period of time, and the survey sample is large enough (about 35,000 U.S. adults) to be considered reliable.
See article here.

Interestingly, from 2007-2014 those who identify as "religiously affiliated" became more devout while those who do not identify as religiously affiliated are becoming less devout.

Pew Research: U.S. Public Becoming Less Religious

Full report here.
Last edited by UncleBob on Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

Jocose
a large Chinese man named Wu
a large Chinese man named Wu

Re: New Survey Out: Americans, Especially Millennials, Movin

Post by Jocose » Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:50 pm

Interesting. Thanks for posting.

I'm not sure that a survey done on 35,000 could be an accurate picture of the millions tho.
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

I've crossed the Bosphorus.

I'm what some CPS'ers have called "Worse than advertised"

Rusty
Come and see the violence inherent in the system!

Post by Rusty » Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:29 pm

Jocose wrote:Interesting. Thanks for posting.

I'm not sure that a survey done on 35,000 could be an accurate picture of the millions tho.
Oh it sure can. There is a science to all this - mathematical statistics establishes all of this. Surveying the entire population is very expensive so how accurate can a sample be? If the sample is a good representation of the nation then it can be much smaller and less costly to get adequate information. 35,000 is a massive sample size compared to say the average gallup poll on most issues which is usually about 1000 to 1200 individuals and they're accurate (ie represent the actual population) usually 19 out 20 times. Why 35,000? It must be because they want confidence at very fine levels eg 1% changes in the surveyed questions over the entire population.

This is accurate with high confidence. Is this new or shocking info? Not really. It's consistent with the religious landscape article that Pew published earlier this year. America is changing relatively quickly just now. The question is why? What is stimulating all the change? It is polarizing people as well eg the unaffiliated become less devout (and are the fastest growing) and the religious become more devout and are slowly shrinking in the pop. I suspect that religion is a hinge pin for many other issues.
A mood rises just to have.

Though it is not too sweet, the citreous marble design is refreshing womanfully, and a mood rises just to have.

~ Pen review (Onishi-seisakusho Fountain pen Acetate Lemon) on a Japanese site

Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway

Post by Del » Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:20 pm

90% of American adults still believe in God? And holding steady? (or dropping slightly).

It seems like atheists and agnostics are much louder and more zealous than their real numbers merit. There is an intensity gap that Christians need to rise and close. The atheists are more evangelical than the Christians.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you." - Eph 4

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Wed Nov 04, 2015 8:27 am

Del wrote:90% of American adults still believe in God? And holding steady? (or dropping slightly).

It seems like atheists and agnostics are much louder and more zealous than their real numbers merit.
But I think the question that needs to be asked is: do the small number of noisy atheists and agnostics have any effect at all?
I think they're preaching to the converted which is a very small proportion of the pop. The rising unaffiliated seems to be generational eg each generation is less affiliated with churches. But not necessarily less religious personally. This is not the result of noisy atheists.
Del wrote:There is an intensity gap that Christians need to rise and close. The atheists are more evangelical than the Christians.
Everyone forgets the Druids. :lol:

Here is Richard Dawkins reacting to the current Republican candidates claims about not believing evolution...
If Dawkins is right, that the candidates are feigning all this, that suggests that noisy atheists really are irrelevant.

[BBvideo 560,340]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kj7MojaHUEc[/BBvideo]
A mood rises just to have.

Though it is not too sweet, the citreous marble design is refreshing womanfully, and a mood rises just to have.

~ Pen review (Onishi-seisakusho Fountain pen Acetate Lemon) on a Japanese site

UncleBob

Re: New Survey Out: Americans, Especially Millennials, Moving Aw

Post by UncleBob » Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:13 pm

Survey: Millennials Are Too Lazy to Eat Cereal
It seems millennials are waging a new generational war—and the enemy is Cap'n Crunch. The Washington Post reports the sale of breakfast cereals in the US is down nearly 30% over the past 15 years. Part of that is growing preferences for things like smoothies and protein bars, according to the New York Times. But nearly 40% of millennials in a recent survey said eating cereal was "inconvenient ... because they had to clean up after eating it."

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Cleon » Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:47 pm

UncleBob wrote:Survey: Millennials Are Too Lazy to Eat Cereal
It seems millennials are waging a new generational war—and the enemy is Cap'n Crunch. The Washington Post reports the sale of breakfast cereals in the US is down nearly 30% over the past 15 years. Part of that is growing preferences for things like smoothies and protein bars, according to the New York Times. But nearly 40% of millennials in a recent survey said eating cereal was "inconvenient ... because they had to clean up after eating it."
Ugh.

Last month I attended a seminar and one of the topics was how millennials think. This was a roundtable type discussion and somewhat informal so consider...but the conclusion was that what we "normal" people think of as lazy, the millennials few as efficiency.
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:03 pm

Cleon wrote:
Ugh.

Last month I attended a seminar and one of the topics was how millennials think. This was a roundtable type discussion and somewhat informal so consider...but the conclusion was that what we "normal" people think of as lazy, the millennials few as efficiency.
I shall henceforth endeavor to use the phrase: "I'm not lazy, just efficient" as much as possible.
"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)
"No more signatures that quote other CPS members." - Thunk

UncleBob

Re: Surveys About Millennials

Post by UncleBob » Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:11 pm

Onyx
Darth Onyx, Bringer of Unity

Post by Onyx » Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:00 pm

The future is assured. They'll also stop making plastic bags and plastic bottles because they'll correctly assess that the cost of cleanup is prohibitive. I'm happy with the millennials. They have much better prospects than the grumpy lot here.
4. No more signatures that quote other CPS members.
-- Thunktank

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Wed Feb 24, 2016 6:21 pm

Are any of you married? I can't be the only man who will eat over the sink to avoid the inevitable lecture on the finer points of loading dishwashers.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

SlowToke
John Crosby's Friend
John Crosby's Friend

Post by SlowToke » Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:20 pm

It's not surprising that regular Cap'n Crunch sales are down but not even millenials can resist Cap'n Crunch Berries.
Wayne Teipen
http://teipenpipes.com
"Fools have no interest in understanding; they only want to air their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2

"Life is tough, and it's tougher when you're stupid." -- John Wayne

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:31 pm

SlowToke wrote:It's not surprising that regular Cap'n Crunch sales are down but not even millenials can resist Cap'n Crunch Berries.
Cap'n Crunch is delicious but always cut my mouth. Grape Nutz, blech. I don't really like cereal. Should I consider conversion?

TNLawPiper
BrotherOfTheBriar YouHeartlessBastards

Post by TNLawPiper » Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:48 pm

I'm a millennial, and I do not eat cereal.

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:08 pm

TNLawPiper wrote:I'm a millennial, and I do not eat cereal.

I am two years too old to be a millenial, and I do not eat cereal. I routinely boil or scramble eggs, however.

TNLawPiper

Post by TNLawPiper » Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:43 pm

hugodrax wrote:

I am two years too old to be a millenial, and I do not eat cereal. I routinely boil or scramble eggs, however.
Samesies.

Onyx

Post by Onyx » Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:06 am

The only cereal I have is beer.
4. No more signatures that quote other CPS members.
-- Thunktank

jdavis2809
Elder
Elder

Post by jdavis2809 » Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:08 am

SlowToke wrote:It's not surprising that regular Cap'n Crunch sales are down but not even millenials can resist Cap'n Crunch Berries.
I'm more of a peanut butter Cap'n Crunch kind of millennial. Cut mouth? Worth it.

ReverendThom
A Mari Usque Ad Mare
A Mari Usque Ad Mare

Re: RE: Re: Surveys About Millennials

Post by ReverendThom » Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:23 am

hugodrax wrote:

When were you born? I've seen dates all over the place for millenials. I was born in 81 but no way I'm a millenial - I'm a Gen Xer all the way. I eat cereal, I'm skeptical of everything, and despite all my rage I am still just a rat in a cage

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk
“I believe that many who find that "nothing happens" when they sit down, or kneel down, to a book of devotion, would find that the heart sings unbidden while they are working their way through a tough bit of theology with a pipe in their teeth and a pencil in their hand.”

― C.S. Lewis, On the Incarnation

SlowToke
John Crosby's Friend
John Crosby's Friend

Post by SlowToke » Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:52 am

jdavis2809 wrote:
I'm more of a peanut butter Cap'n Crunch kind of millennial. Cut mouth? Worth it.
There's no place for peanut butter in cereal or ice cream. Now pie....that's a different story.
Wayne Teipen
http://teipenpipes.com
"Fools have no interest in understanding; they only want to air their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2

"Life is tough, and it's tougher when you're stupid." -- John Wayne