Surveys About Millennials

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Irish-Dane
I'm a pro at tobacco canning
I'm a pro at tobacco canning

Re: Surveys About Millennials

Post by Irish-Dane » Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:59 am

I put the following in the other Millennial thread, but it might be better discussed in this one...

I was having this conversation a while back with someone. There's a theory out there regarding so-called, "half generation" folks. Basically the prevailing thought is that those born in the latest years of a defined generation are squandering and scattered and not well functioning, and certainly don't fit into the stereotypes of that generation, much to their own dismay. For example, Baby Boomers.

The concept behind the name of the Baby Boomer generation came from a by-product of all the guys getting back from WWII, industry picking up after the Depression, GI Bill building houses and sending folks to work, basically, a time of happiness after a decade or so of yuck. It made everyone so happy they were screwing like rabbits and popping out kids left and right. The thing is, the kids born in the earliest years of the Baby Boomer generation were starting to roll into the teenage hippie phase while there were kids still being born into the years that define the generation. Those newborns missed out on the true essence of what being a hippie was, and unfortunately were already maturing into college, jobs, family, etc. when the Gen-Xers were getting their teenage angst in full tilt. The theory is that "missing out" on what defines your generation because you were too young and already being too old to experience the next generation, leaves a mental scar, or looking at it a different way, doesn't leave the proper mental implant.

My parents were prime-time Baby Boomers ('50 & '51), graduating high school just in time for Woodstock, Vietnam drafts, bra-burning, the works. The Missus' Dad was born ten or so years later and I see him and so many others his age always searching for a place to fit in, whether it be professionally, financially, whatever. I see the same thing with folks born in the early 80's, at the end of the Gen-X spectrum. It was up in the air for awhile, but Gen-Xers are proving themselves all over the place, while the later Gen-X year folks don't have much to show or often feel like they don't belong.

It's an interesting theory for sure. I should have studied Sociology in school.
It's not available because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body. --Colton

JudgeRusty
Didn't even get to wear his hat
Didn't even get to wear his hat

Post by JudgeRusty » Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:48 am

jdavis2809 wrote:
SlowToke wrote:It's not surprising that regular Cap'n Crunch sales are down but not even millenials can resist Cap'n Crunch Berries.
I'm more of a peanut butter Cap'n Crunch kind of millennial. Cut mouth? Worth it.
Crunch Mouth. I read a few years ago that the condition has a name.
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal

tuttle
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by tuttle » Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:20 am

Off Topic
Irish-Dane wrote:I put the following in the other Millennial thread, but it might be better discussed in this one...
Crap. I responded to ID's post in the other thread...so I'll post my comments here as well :lol:
I don't know about all of the mental scaring, but this describes my experience for sure. I was born in 82. Seems like most studies I've read declare that year the 'beginning' of the Millennials or the 'end' of Gen X. The 'half generation' theory makes sense to a degree, at least in terms of societal categories. There is some major overlap and some obvious traits that don't fit either.

Here's a pretty interesting article that addresses the Late 70s/Early 80s 'micro-generation': http://www.popsugar.com/tech/How-Techno ... X-37522155

I think the author is more or less accurate about why this group is a little different than both GenX & Y, and she makes some pretty interesting observations
A big part of what makes us the square peg in the round hole of named generations is our strange relationship with technology and the Internet. We came of age just as the very essence of communication was experiencing a seismic shift, and it's given us a unique perspective that's half analog old school and half digital new school.

Those born in the late '70s and early '80s were the last group to have a childhood devoid of all the technology that makes childhood and adolescence today pretty much the worst thing imaginable. We were the last gasp of a time before sexting, Facebook shaming, and constant communication.

We used pay-phones; we showed up at each other's houses without warning; we often spoke to our friends' parents before we got to speak to them; and we had to wait at least an hour to see any photos we'd taken. But for the group of kids just a little younger than us, the whole world changed, and that's not an exaggeration. In fact, it's possible that you had a completely different childhood experience than a sibling just five years your junior, which is pretty mind-blowing.
That last bit is certainly true. I have a sister 4 years younger and a brother 6 years younger than me, and while I think our family life shaped them more than the generation, certainly 99% of their friends would be stereotypical Millennials.

One more observation:
Myspace was born in 2003 and Facebook became available to all college students in 2004. So if you were born in 1981-1982, for example, you were literally the last graduating class to finish college without social media being a part of the experience.
To which I say, Hallelujah! I couldn't imagine having to go through any era of school with Facebook and Twitter and smartphones.
"You're my kind of stupid" -Mal Reynolds

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

The Reformation Drinking Song

TNLawPiper
BrotherOfTheBriar YouHeartlessBastards
BrotherOfTheBriar YouHeartlessBastards

Post by TNLawPiper » Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:59 am

JudgeRusty wrote:
jdavis2809 wrote:
SlowToke wrote:It's not surprising that regular Cap'n Crunch sales are down but not even millenials can resist Cap'n Crunch Berries.
I'm more of a peanut butter Cap'n Crunch kind of millennial. Cut mouth? Worth it.
Crunch Mouth. I read a few years ago that the condition has a name.
The peanut butter variety was by far the tastiest and least dangerous.

Rusty
Come and see the violence inherent in the system!

Re: RE: Re: Surveys About Millennials

Post by Rusty » Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:48 am

ReverendThom wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
TNLawPiper wrote:I'm a millennial, and I do not eat cereal.

I am two years too old to be a millenial, and I do not eat cereal. I routinely boil or scramble eggs, however.
When were you born? I've seen dates all over the place for millenials. I was born in 81 but no way I'm a millenial - I'm a Gen Xer all the way. I eat cereal, I'm skeptical of everything, and despite all my rage I am still just a rat in a cage

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk
Gatcha.

He's actually 4 years too old to be a millennial. Precise numeracy isn't critical for lawyers, and spelling is for the legal assistant, remembering one's birth date is for HR & the wife.

1982 is the beginning of the millennials. I'll let them self-identify. My kids are millennials. Strange bunch.
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Re: RE: Re: Surveys About Millennials

Post by hugodrax » Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:58 am

Rusty wrote:
ReverendThom wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
TNLawPiper wrote:I'm a millennial, and I do not eat cereal.

I am two years too old to be a millenial, and I do not eat cereal. I routinely boil or scramble eggs, however.
When were you born? I've seen dates all over the place for millenials. I was born in 81 but no way I'm a millenial - I'm a Gen Xer all the way. I eat cereal, I'm skeptical of everything, and despite all my rage I am still just a rat in a cage

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk
Gatcha.

He's actually 4 years too old to be a millennial. Precise numeracy isn't critical for lawyers, and spelling is for the legal assistant, remembering one's birth date is for HR & the wife.

1982 is the beginning of the millennials. I'll let them self-identify. My kids are millennials. Strange bunch.
Interesting. What I read stated 1980 was the beginning year for millenials. I thought the math was odd, but can't argue with the internet.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway

Post by Del » Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:08 pm

Irish-Dane wrote:I put the following in the other Millennial thread, but it might be better discussed in this one...

I was having this conversation a while back with someone. There's a theory out there regarding so-called, "half generation" folks.
I know what you mean. I am one of those younger Boomers.... Most Boomers relate to Happy Days, segwaying into Woodstock. My teenage years looked like That '70's Show.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you." - Eph 4

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:24 pm

Del wrote:

I was having this conversation a while back with someone. There's a theory out there regarding so-called, "half generation" folks.
I know what you mean. I am one of those younger Boomers.... Most Boomers relate to Happy Days, segwaying into Woodstock. My teenage years looked like That '70's Show.
So that's what's wrong with you?

Don't feel bad, even Hov was too young to go to Woodstock. Great Scott!

It's possible that GA was conceived at Woodstock... Now we can all feel old.

Had Jimi Hendrix lived he would be the same age as Cliff... 8O Cliff! 'dat chew, man? OMG!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xpdw0ouogQo
Last edited by Rusty on Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.

Post by FredS » Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:46 pm

Del wrote:

Yep. I'm a late boomer too ('61). I grew up in a "college town" and hippies lingered in my community longer than most places outside CA, so I saw that whole deal even if I didn't live it first hand. I saw race riots and demonstrations and sit-ins over the war up close, but from the sidelines.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Del

Post by Del » Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:11 pm

FredS wrote:
Del wrote:

Yep. I'm a late boomer too ('61). I grew up in a "college town" and hippies lingered in my community longer than most places outside CA, so I saw that whole deal even if I didn't live it first hand. I saw race riots and demonstrations and sit-ins over the war up close, but from the sidelines.
Madison is where old hippies come to die.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you." - Eph 4

FredS

Post by FredS » Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:25 pm

Del wrote:
FredS wrote:
Del wrote:

Madison is where old hippies come to die.
Many of them came to Lawrence for university and ended up staying and eventually owned shops, raised families (without marrying, of course), and got in to local politics. It is/was interesting to watch them age.

Here's an interesting article about a hippie head shop in town.
Strawberry Fields
The year after the Beatles released "Strawberry Fields Forever," Kansas University dropout Kim Kern opened a hip little head shop on Massachusetts Street and named it after the psychedelic anthem.
He sold bell bottoms, black-light posters, incense, underground comics, bongs, rolling papers and other hippie accouterments. . .

A lot has changed in 38 years.
Strawberry Fields became simply Fields after the Fab Four broke up in 1970. Kern acquired the building next door and expanded his space. And the shop's psychedelia gave way to home furnishings, kitchenware, posters, framing services and, most recently, fine art.
----------------------------------------------------------------
John Gary Brown has mixed feelings about the end of Fields.
"I'm kind of sad to see it close because it's sort of a business icon. There were a lot of old hippie businesses that came and went in the old days, and that was one of the last surviving businesses that cropped up at that time - back when all of the dropouts decided to drop back in and give capitalism a little try,"
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

SteveH
It's a disgrace. I don't care.
It's a disgrace. I don't care.

Post by SteveH » Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:29 pm

From the post by Rusty, on page one, supposedly a video of Richard Dawkins. A touch ironic, in the circumstances - or was it a deliberate joke?

I don't bother with a Jacuzzi - I just fart in the bath.

gaining_age
What's-his-name - President: Devo Fan Club Intl
What's-his-name - President: Devo Fan Club Intl

Post by gaining_age » Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:42 pm

Rusty wrote:
Del wrote:

So that's what's wrong with you?

Don't feel bad, even Hov was too young to go to Woodstock. Great Scott!

It's possible that GA was conceived at Woodstock... Now we can all feel old.

Had Jimi Hendrix lived he would be the same age as Cliff... 8O Cliff! 'dat chew, man? OMG!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xpdw0ouogQo

Incorrect.
Out of control odd rare old man (or possibly an hobbyist). -- Label by The Big R.
The 6s of 1st John:
2:6 Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus walked
3:6 No one who lives in him keeps on sinning

mont974x4
It's gotten old now
It's gotten old now

Post by mont974x4 » Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:03 pm

Onyx wrote:The only cereal I have is beer.
I knew I liked you.
It sounded better when the voices in my head were saying it.

Ire attracter-at-large and general misanthrope.

UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Post by UncleBob » Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:16 pm

"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

wosbald
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent

Post by wosbald » Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:53 pm

+JMJ+
I'm not sure whether "Vastly Superior" is supposed to be a further elaboration of "Better Read" or whether they are actually implying that being better read makes one vastly superior.

"In the end, My Immaculate Heart will triumph." - Our Lady of Fatima

Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Cleon » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:25 am

"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

dennisthemenace
Gentleman of the Briar and Tiny Tim Wannabe
Gentleman of the Briar and Tiny Tim Wannabe

Post by dennisthemenace » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:43 am

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics."

http://www.twainquotes.com/Statistics.html
Your Humble and Obedient Servant,

Dennis

With pipe and book at close of day, Oh, what is sweeter? mortal say. - Richard Le Gallienne

Jester
Elder
Elder

Post by Jester » Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:01 am

I smoke a cigar because the body is a temple and the temple needs incense. -Michael Knowles

Pumpkin Ale is more American than apple pie! -Tuttle

When chaos manifests itself, what makes you think that anyone tame will be good for anything? -Jordan B. Peterson

Onyx
Darth Onyx, Bringer of Unity
Darth Onyx, Bringer of Unity

Post by Onyx » Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:25 pm

Nobody mention Iceland.
4. No more signatures that quote other CPS members.
-- Thunktank