The Fly Tying Thread

Anything and everything... except the youth room... or what belongs in the Purgatory Forum
Post Reply
User avatar
durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Posts: 3455
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:58 pm
Location: Southwest Colorado

Re: The Fly Tying Thread

Post by durangopipe » Wed May 24, 2017 8:41 pm

Great looking flies, Fred!
The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity. J.R.R. Tolkien

User avatar
Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores
Posts: 10839
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: central IL

Re: The Fly Tying Thread

Post by Gabriel » Fri May 26, 2017 8:38 pm

Love those little bugs, Fred. I may have to steal some more of Mrs. Gabriel's feathers and see if I can come close.

Currently working some very small wooly buggers. Small and shaggy. This one is on a size 10 nymph hook.

Image


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sola Deo Gloria

User avatar
Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores
Posts: 10839
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: central IL

Re: The Fly Tying Thread

Post by Gabriel » Sat May 27, 2017 11:47 am

A better looking tiny bugger.

Image


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sola Deo Gloria

User avatar
durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Posts: 3455
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:58 pm
Location: Southwest Colorado

Re: The Fly Tying Thread

Post by durangopipe » Sat May 27, 2017 1:55 pm

Now you're talkin'!
The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity. J.R.R. Tolkien

User avatar
FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.
Really, really likes watching kids fish.
Posts: 18630
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Kansas City

Re: The Fly Tying Thread

Post by FredS » Tue May 30, 2017 5:55 pm

Saw this sweet fly box on aliexpress. Not sure the photographer understands fly fishing.
Image
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

User avatar
Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed
Posts: 5077
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: Rocky Mountains / Colorado
Contact:

Re: The Fly Tying Thread

Post by Bloodhound » Wed May 31, 2017 1:51 pm

Fred, I stopped into to a yard sale and asked the guy if they had any fly fishing stuff. He lit right up and said "Yes"...he then showed me his father in law's "Fly Fishing Gear"...it was all marked "Fly Fishing"...it was deep water gear, boat rods and big reels and boxes of hooks and jigs and trolling set ups...Yup "Dad" had lived in Galveston, Texas.
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD ...

User avatar
FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.
Really, really likes watching kids fish.
Posts: 18630
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Kansas City

Re: The Fly Tying Thread

Post by FredS » Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:47 pm

Sharks Caddis (pupa) #12

these things are crazy realistic in the water:
Image
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

User avatar
durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Posts: 3455
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:58 pm
Location: Southwest Colorado

Re: The Fly Tying Thread

Post by durangopipe » Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:12 pm

FredS wrote:
Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:47 pm
Sharks Caddis (pupa) #12

these things are crazy realistic in the water:
Image
Great looking bugs, Fred.
The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity. J.R.R. Tolkien

User avatar
FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.
Really, really likes watching kids fish.
Posts: 18630
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Kansas City

Re: The Fly Tying Thread

Post by FredS » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:34 pm

I'm tying some LaFontaine Sparkle Caddis Pupas in a new color combination so I put one in a glass of water to see how it looks when wet. It looks great. Mrs FredS walked in and asked what it was so I told her it was a bug and I fished it out and showed it too her. Even with it laying in my palm she didn't realize it's a fake.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

User avatar
Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores
Posts: 10839
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: central IL

Re: The Fly Tying Thread

Post by Gabriel » Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:42 pm

Tying a few more in hopes of snagging some carp or smallmouth in the river. #8 heavy curved nymph hooks with lead eyes, peacock bodies, silver tinsel rib, and olive maribou.

Image


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sola Deo Gloria

User avatar
durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Posts: 3455
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:58 pm
Location: Southwest Colorado

Re: The Fly Tying Thread

Post by durangopipe » Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:23 pm

Gabriel wrote:
Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:42 pm
Tying a few more in hopes of snagging some carp or smallmouth in the river. #8 heavy curved nymph hooks with lead eyes, peacock bodies, silver tinsel rib, and olive maribou.

Image


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sweet.

(Tip the cast off to the side a bit.
Take it from one who has been bonked by lead-eyed flies!)
The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity. J.R.R. Tolkien

User avatar
Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores
Posts: 10839
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: central IL

Re: The Fly Tying Thread

Post by Gabriel » Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:30 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:23 pm
Gabriel wrote:
Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:42 pm
Tying a few more in hopes of snagging some carp or smallmouth in the river. #8 heavy curved nymph hooks with lead eyes, peacock bodies, silver tinsel rib, and olive maribou.

Image


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sweet.

(Tip the cast off to the side a bit.
Take it from one who has been bonked by lead-eyed flies!)
Ha! Fishing for bass I've gotten used to throwing heavy flies. They can be lethal for sure!

Now on to the same pattern only in white and chartreuse
Sola Deo Gloria

User avatar
FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.
Really, really likes watching kids fish.
Posts: 18630
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Kansas City

Re: The Fly Tying Thread

Post by FredS » Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:59 am

LaFontaine Deep Sparkle Pupa (caddis) in sizes 14 & 16. Creme, green, and black. This is another type of fly that looks ultra realistic in the water. The sparkly antron yarn sort of disappears but it shows as 'movement' and more importantly it looks like an air bubble that caddis pupa may or may not use to float to the surface. The yarn does in fact trap an air bubble when dunked in a glass but I have no idea if such a bubble stays intact as the fly tumbles down river.

Image
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

User avatar
durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Posts: 3455
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:58 pm
Location: Southwest Colorado

Re: The Fly Tying Thread

Post by durangopipe » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:51 am

FredS wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:59 am
LaFontaine Deep Sparkle Pupa (caddis) in sizes 14 & 16. Creme, green, and black. This is another type of fly that looks ultra realistic in the water. The sparkly antron yarn sort of disappears but it shows as 'movement' and more importantly it looks like an air bubble that caddis pupa may or may not use to float to the surface. The yarn does in fact trap an air bubble when dunked in a glass but I have no idea if such a bubble stays intact as the fly tumbles down river.

Image
I have a mess of those in my caddis box.
Deadly.
The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity. J.R.R. Tolkien

User avatar
durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Posts: 3455
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:58 pm
Location: Southwest Colorado

Re: The Fly Tying Thread

Post by durangopipe » Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:07 pm

I will never claim to be an expert saltwater fly rodder but thought I might contribute something.
I was just cleaning out a junk drawer (the top drawer in my dresser) and stumbled across the fly in the photo below.

It's the fly I caught my first snook on. I thought I might post it along with a photo from that trip of my buddy, Jim, with a nice snook taken with the same pattern.

We were fishing in the mangroves and bays out of Chokoloskee Island in the Ten Thousand Islands section of Everglades National Park with Capt. Tommy Thompson. I believe it's his fly. It was deadly. It's also incredibly simple to tie. I'd tied a bunch of Dahlberg Divers for that trip, and they did work, but not as well as this fly, and the DD is a lot more complicated to tie. (But it's an awesome Pike fly!)

Image

Heavy, red thread to make a red tag and to tie with. The body is red Estaz. Bead chain eyes for weight. White marabou tail. And a monofilament hook guard. Use your favorite hook. This is a stainless saltwater hook.

If anybody ties some and fishes them, let me know how you do.

Oh, the name of the fly. Brace yourself: UT, for Used Tampon.
The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity. J.R.R. Tolkien

User avatar
FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.
Really, really likes watching kids fish.
Posts: 18630
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Kansas City

Re: The Fly Tying Thread

Post by FredS » Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:05 pm

Cool story. Please tell us you put the UT back in the junk drawer after reminiscing so you can "rediscover" it in another ten years when you go through the drawer.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

User avatar
durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Posts: 3455
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:58 pm
Location: Southwest Colorado

Re: The Fly Tying Thread

Post by durangopipe » Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:25 pm

FredS wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:05 pm
Cool story. Please tell us you put the UT back in the junk drawer after reminiscing so you can "rediscover" it in another ten years when you go through the drawer.
Naw. I stuck it up on the cork board in my office with that photo of Jim.
The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity. J.R.R. Tolkien

User avatar
FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.
Really, really likes watching kids fish.
Posts: 18630
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Kansas City

Re: The Fly Tying Thread

Post by FredS » Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:38 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:25 pm
FredS wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:05 pm
Cool story. Please tell us you put the UT back in the junk drawer after reminiscing so you can "rediscover" it in another ten years when you go through the drawer.
Naw. I stuck it up on the cork board in my office with that photo of Jim.
Just as good. When you wrote that you were cleaning out a junk drawer I thought maybe you were throwing stuff out. Now I understand that your idea of cleaning simply means rearranging. Mrs FredS cleans her studio the same way.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

User avatar
durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Posts: 3455
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:58 pm
Location: Southwest Colorado

Re: The Fly Tying Thread

Post by durangopipe » Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:40 pm

FredS wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:38 pm
durangopipe wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:25 pm
FredS wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:05 pm
Cool story. Please tell us you put the UT back in the junk drawer after reminiscing so you can "rediscover" it in another ten years when you go through the drawer.
Naw. I stuck it up on the cork board in my office with that photo of Jim.
Just as good. When you wrote that you were cleaning out a junk drawer I thought maybe you were throwing stuff out. Now I understand that your idea of cleaning simply means rearranging. Mrs FredS cleans her studio the same way.
If my wife doesn't see it in the course of her normal routine, I "cleaned" it.
The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity. J.R.R. Tolkien

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Roadmaster and 2 guests