The Fly Tying Thread

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Post Reply
User avatar
Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores
Posts: 10920
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: central IL

Re: The Fly Tying Thread

Post by Gabriel » Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:56 pm

So... a hen turkey and her brood of half grown off spring have taken up residence in our neighborhood for some unknown reason. The kids have been watching for feathers for me. :D

Image


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sola Deo Gloria

User avatar
durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Posts: 3877
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:58 pm
Location: Southwest Colorado

Re: The Fly Tying Thread

Post by durangopipe » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:38 pm

Gabriel wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:56 pm
So... a hen turkey and her brood of half grown off spring have taken up residence in our neighborhood for some unknown reason. The kids have been watching for feathers for me. :D

Image


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good feathers.
Great kids!
The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.

J.R.R. Tolkien



Wherever we go in the world we find other men speaking the same language...dreaming the same dreams. And one of the big four - brownie, or brookie, cutthroat or rainbow - is the cause of it all.

Roderick Haig-Brown

User avatar
Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores
Posts: 10920
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: central IL

Re: The Fly Tying Thread

Post by Gabriel » Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:17 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Good feathers.
Great kids!
They really are, they're constantly bringing me things, feathers usually. Not always needed or useful, but I love each one.

Mrs Gabriel just posted this one on her instagram:

Image


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sola Deo Gloria

User avatar
durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Posts: 3877
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:58 pm
Location: Southwest Colorado

Re: The Fly Tying Thread

Post by durangopipe » Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:21 pm

Beautiful photo, Gabriel!
That desk was a truly wonderful find.
The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.

J.R.R. Tolkien



Wherever we go in the world we find other men speaking the same language...dreaming the same dreams. And one of the big four - brownie, or brookie, cutthroat or rainbow - is the cause of it all.

Roderick Haig-Brown

User avatar
Dlibbon
Elder
Elder
Posts: 672
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2004 6:00 pm
Location: Charleston SC
Contact:

Re: The Fly Tying Thread

Post by Dlibbon » Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:45 pm

Gabriel wrote:
durangopipe wrote:
Good feathers.
Great kids!
They really are, they're constantly bringing me things, feathers usually. Not always needed or useful, but I love each one.

Mrs Gabriel just posted this one on her instagram:

Image


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sweet desk! I've been keeping my eye out for one just like it. Beautiful pic.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User avatar
Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores
Posts: 10920
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: central IL

Re: The Fly Tying Thread

Post by Gabriel » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:43 am

A few I've been working on:

Soft hackle steamer. #8 hook, pheasant and hen feathers
Image

Schroeder's hoppers using dark materials, trying to create a decent cricket
Image

First attempts at Schroeder's hoppers
Image

DP's floreeda crab
Image

My own crayfish pattern with squirrel tail and rabbit strips (I've since tied better examples but don't have pics)
Image


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sola Deo Gloria

User avatar
Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed
Posts: 5405
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: Rocky Mountains / Colorado
Contact:

Re: The Fly Tying Thread

Post by Bloodhound » Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:39 am

Gabriel

Those look good. Very nice ties. I really like the soft hackle streamer!

I am working on the Stripped Gear wet fly with the elk fuzz dubbing and a soft hackle from a blue grouse, but none are worthy yet of photos...I'll keep working :)
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD ...

User avatar
durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Posts: 3877
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:58 pm
Location: Southwest Colorado

Re: The Fly Tying Thread

Post by durangopipe » Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:12 pm

Gabriel wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:43 am
A few I've been working on:

Soft hackle steamer. #8 hook, pheasant and hen feathers
Image

Schroeder's hoppers using dark materials, trying to create a decent cricket
Image

First attempts at Schroeder's hoppers
Image

DP's floreeda crab
Image

My own crayfish pattern with squirrel tail and rabbit strips (I've since tied better examples but don't have pics)
Image


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spectacular, Gabriel!
The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.

J.R.R. Tolkien



Wherever we go in the world we find other men speaking the same language...dreaming the same dreams. And one of the big four - brownie, or brookie, cutthroat or rainbow - is the cause of it all.

Roderick Haig-Brown

User avatar
FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.
Really, really likes watching kids fish.
Posts: 18897
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Kansas City

Re: The Fly Tying Thread

Post by FredS » Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:07 pm

Hoppers are difficult. I buy 'em.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

User avatar
Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores
Posts: 10920
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: central IL

Re: The Fly Tying Thread

Post by Gabriel » Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:48 pm

FredS wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:07 pm
Hoppers are difficult. I buy 'em.
No kidding. Tried to tie some dave's hoppers last night for over an hour. Ditched every attempt.
Sola Deo Gloria

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests