The Fly Tying Thread

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.

Re: The Fly Tying Thread

Post by FredS » Sun May 14, 2017 5:16 pm

Some Serendipity(ish) nymphs in size 18 & 20.

I say Serendipity-ish because I couldn't find a patch of deer hair in my stash that doesn't look too 'coarse' so I switched to yarn.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by durangopipe » Sun May 14, 2017 8:19 pm

I think the yarn will work fine.
Nice looking "bugs."
The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.

J.R.R. Tolkien

Wherever we go in the world we find other men speaking the same language...dreaming the same dreams. And one of the big four - brownie, or brookie, cutthroat or rainbow - is the cause of it all.

Roderick Haig-Brown

Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed

Post by Bloodhound » Tue May 16, 2017 11:09 am

OK quick story from the weekend. My daughter in law has chickens...she knows I tie flys and wanted me to bring some of the feathers over when we went for a visit...so I grabbed a hen saddle I got from a friend and put it in a baggie and took it with us. My DIL asked me to come to the chicken coop with her and bring the feathers. When I got there she was gathering feathers off the floor of the coop and asked me to show her the tying feathers. I took the saddle out of the bag and handed it to her....she looked at it in horror and said YOU KILLED THIS CHICKEN! She gave me back the saddle and threw the feathers she had gathered on the ground and went back to the house. With me standing there with a goofy grin on my face...guess I won't tell her how I got the blue grouse feathers or the elk hair patch
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Tue May 16, 2017 11:29 am

Bloodhound wrote:
Tue May 16, 2017 11:09 am
OK quick story from the weekend. My daughter in law has chickens...she knows I tie flys and wanted me to bring some of the feathers over when we went for a visit...so I grabbed a hen saddle I got from a friend and put it in a baggie and took it with us. My DIL asked me to come to the chicken coop with her and bring the feathers. When I got there she was gathering feathers off the floor of the coop and asked me to show her the tying feathers. I took the saddle out of the bag and handed it to her....she looked at it in horror and said YOU KILLED THIS CHICKEN! She gave me back the saddle and threw the feathers she had gathered on the ground and went back to the house. With me standing there with a goofy grin on my face...guess I won't tell her how I got the blue grouse feathers or the elk hair patch
Murderer!
I'm notifying PETA.
The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.

J.R.R. Tolkien

Wherever we go in the world we find other men speaking the same language...dreaming the same dreams. And one of the big four - brownie, or brookie, cutthroat or rainbow - is the cause of it all.

Roderick Haig-Brown

FredS

Post by FredS » Tue May 16, 2017 12:04 pm

Better than skinning it alive I suppose.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Bloodhound

Post by Bloodhound » Tue May 16, 2017 1:28 pm

The discussion at our house 3 weeks prior was that Whiting Farms one of the producers of chicken feathers for Fly tying was in Delta, Colorado about 20 Miles North of our house when we lived in Montrose...so that must have started the wheels turning for my DIL...she will likely be out at Whiting Farm's gate with protest signs with in the week. :lol:
Scott ( aka - Thor )

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Tue May 16, 2017 3:42 pm

Bloodhound wrote:
Tue May 16, 2017 1:28 pm
The discussion at our house 3 weeks prior was that Whiting Farms one of the producers of chicken feathers for Fly tying was in Delta, Colorado about 20 Miles North of our house when we lived in Montrose...so that must have started the wheels turning for my DIL...she will likely be out at Whiting Farm's gate with protest signs with in the week. :lol:
See what you started!

J.R.R. Tolkien

Roderick Haig-Brown

Bloodhound

Post by Bloodhound » Wed May 17, 2017 8:53 am

I may have to send Whiting Farms a "Sorry" note... :?
Scott ( aka - Thor )

Bloodhound

Post by Bloodhound » Wed May 17, 2017 8:57 am

So do you fly tiers keep anything in your materials to guard against bugs/moths chewing on your feathers? I have been thinking of getting a flea collar and chopping it into pieces and putting them with my materials.
Scott ( aka - Thor )

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Wed May 17, 2017 8:59 am

(Double post)
Last edited by durangopipe on Wed May 17, 2017 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

J.R.R. Tolkien

Roderick Haig-Brown

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Wed May 17, 2017 9:02 am

Bloodhound wrote:
Wed May 17, 2017 8:57 am
So do you fly tiers keep anything in your materials to guard against bugs/moths chewing on your feathers? I have been thinking of getting a flea collar and chopping it into pieces and putting them with my materials.
Moth balls.
Just don't do long term storage with moth balls where you do the tying.

I keep my bulk stuff in tubs in the garage.

J.R.R. Tolkien

Roderick Haig-Brown

FredS

Post by FredS » Wed May 17, 2017 11:57 am

I'll defer to Steve because he's been in the game longer than me (he probably has feathers older than I am), but I don't like the idea of my fur and feathers smelling like moth balls or flea collars. Heck, I rarely even use head cement because I don't like the smell of it when I open a fly box.

Bloodhound

Post by Bloodhound » Wed May 17, 2017 12:31 pm

The reason I ask is because a guy at the fly tying night told a tale of woe, he said bugs got into his supplies and he lost his entire inventory. When I was tying with the guys at Cabelas they had a bag of materiels that were really bad with bug damage and they threw them away. I have heard of folks using diatomaceous earth...

Right now I am using nothing, but my materials are in sealed plastic containers...I don't have what I would call bulk materials....yet...and its all in containers at my tying station...thanks guys for the input.
Scott ( aka - Thor )

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Wed May 17, 2017 1:05 pm

FredS wrote:
Wed May 17, 2017 11:57 am
I'll defer to Steve because he's been in the game longer than me (he probably has feathers older than I am), but I don't like the idea of my fur and feathers smelling like moth balls or flea collars. Heck, I rarely even use head cement because I don't like the smell of it when I open a fly box.

I go back and forth on this.

Years can go by without a problem, but one year I lost many of my precious necks and other feathers to moth larvae. The sight of a neck stripped clean is disheartening to say the least. They seemed to particularly like peacock feathers?? Go figure. Plastic bags didn't prevent it.

I may have saved a moth-eaten neck or two. If I can find them I'll post a photo. Its isn't a pretty sight.

But if it hasn't been a problem where you are it may be that feather-eating larvae do not occur in that location and in that case it might not be necessary.

The naphtha smell evaporates, or washes off in water, is replaced with other smells or isn't a factor for dry flies (I have no idea), but I haven't seen any difference between trout ignoring my flies tied with feathers surrounded by mothballs and flies ignored that weren't. :pipe:

J.R.R. Tolkien

Roderick Haig-Brown

FredS

Post by FredS » Wed May 17, 2017 3:00 pm

I've been tying for perhaps 8-10 years. I've had one buck tail turn rancid with some sort of little bug larvae on it, and one squirrel tail that got sort of slimey for some reason. I noticed when I had used hair from the squirrel tail that I was sensitive to it (made my hands and face itch). I'm not sure if it was the squirrel fur itself or some sort of chemicals it had been processed with. Either way, I've decided not to use squirrel fur again. FTR - both tails were from recognized suppliers, not Bubba's Roadkill Mart.

Bloodhound

Post by Bloodhound » Wed May 17, 2017 6:53 pm

How bout blowing pipe smoke into the tubs containing the feathers & fur...
Scott ( aka - Thor )

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Wed May 17, 2017 7:16 pm

:pipe2:

J.R.R. Tolkien

Roderick Haig-Brown

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Mon May 22, 2017 8:31 pm

First shaggy attempt with cross cut rabbit strips. #6 streamer hook and lead eyes (buried in there somewhere...).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sola Deo Gloria

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Mon May 22, 2017 8:37 pm

Fish will love it.
The action of rabbit strip in water is fantastic, and I find it faster to tie with than marabou.

Well done, Gabe!
Hope the RA is settling down.

J.R.R. Tolkien

Roderick Haig-Brown

FredS

Post by FredS » Wed May 24, 2017 7:29 pm

Listening to baseball on the radio (internet actually) and tying flies. Not a bad way to spend a cool spring evening.

Zugbugs in 12 & 14. Also pictured is a peacock sword. That's a natural feather that has not been dyed or treated in any way. If there's anything more beautiful in the world that you can hold in your hand, I don't know what it is. If I was a fish I'd eat it just because it looks so nice. Like me with a cheesecake.