The Fly Tying Thread

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Re: The Fly Tying Thread

Post by Gabriel » Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:24 am

Dlibbon wrote:
Gabriel wrote:Now that I have more or less successfully tied two black woolly buggers, I am an expert in the field and have been plied with constant requests from my daughter to teach her how its done. We took the occasion of this wet snowy Saturday to spend an hour or so playing around and getting a good feel for the different materials. Good times.

As a father of two young daughters this is really a sweet pic. Well done Gabriel.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thanks! We're enjoying doing it together. I'm trying to stay ahead of her so I can actually teach her, but it's challenging. We now both enjoy watching fly tying videos on flyfishfood.com or orvis.com. Not sure if that makes us awesome or boring...
Sola Deo Gloria

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:26 am

My first attempts at a caddis fly. Dubbing and such is proving to be more challenging that it looks. Proportions are also a struggle.

Sola Deo Gloria

UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Post by UncleBob » Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:27 am

Gabriel wrote:My first attempts at a caddis fly. Dubbing and such is proving to be more challenging that it looks. Proportions are also a struggle.

:chili:
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.

Post by FredS » Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:37 am

Gabriel wrote:My first attempts at a caddis fly. Dubbing and such is proving to be more challenging that it looks. Proportions are also a struggle.

Is that elk hair or deer? Looks like deer. Whatever it is, I'd double it. The only thing that makes that fly float is the hollow hair so you need quite a bit. The top one looks great btw.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:43 am

FredS wrote:

Is that elk hair or deer? Looks like deer. Whatever it is, I'd double it. The only thing that makes that fly float is the hollow hair so you need quite a bit. The top one looks great btw.
Yeah? I wondered about the amount. It's elk, for what that's worth. It's just me being stingy with my supplies and assuming more material is going to be harder to work with.

You don't think the elk hair is too long?
Sola Deo Gloria

Dlibbon
Elder
Elder

Post by Dlibbon » Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:08 pm

Spent the last few months tying saltwater patterns. Tonight broke out some drys. All I had was size 20 dry hooks. A big difference. Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JMG
Bearded Crusader for JUSTICE ... on a Mission
Bearded Crusader for JUSTICE ... on a Mission

Post by JMG » Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:18 pm

These are pretty. A few of them would look super cool in a small shadow box on display.
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets."
"When you're dumb, you've got to be tough." - my dad

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by durangopipe » Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:15 pm

Gabriel . . .

Your first attempts at an X Caddis are far better than mine were!

It might take a few hundred dozen of any new pattern for it to start looking really good. That's sort of what A.K. Best said on the subject. If a tier with his skill says that, I figure the rest of us shouldn't expect perfection too quickly!

But yours are already beyond good enough to take trout.

Few tips for this pattern:

More hair in the wing will definitely help the fly float better in turbulent water, and the standard tie does call for a fuller wing, but a sparse wing will work fine in flat water.

I'd go a tad more sparse on the body dubbing. I don't use a dubbing loop for this pattern. Twist the dubbing onto the waxed thread with thumb and forefinger. I don't know if this is the technique used in the video you have, but it's difficult to tie a sparse body on a small fly using a dubbing loop.

After you've tied the wing in (leave enough room on the hook shank so you don't crowd the eye) clip the hair butts in front of the thread a little longer. After a little practice you'll be able hold the butts back with the thumb and forefinger of your left hand while you tie a neat whip finish with your right hand working the tool. After you clip the thread and apply a touch of head cement to the knot with a needle, smooth the butts back down over the thread with your fingers.

No bulky thread head on this fly. The hair butts are the head and they should lie over the whip finish.

Don't mean to sound like some kind of self presumed expert. I was guide for 26 years. I've tied those few hundred dozen of most of the flies I use, and I still have an awful lot to learn.

Fish the ones you tied--the fish will gobble 'em up!
The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.

J.R.R. Tolkien

Wherever we go in the world we find other men speaking the same language...dreaming the same dreams. And one of the big four - brownie, or brookie, cutthroat or rainbow - is the cause of it all.

Roderick Haig-Brown

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:58 am

JMG wrote:

These are pretty. A few of them would look super cool in a small shadow box on display.
Thanks! All I can see are the ugly parts of course...

I do keep meaning to mention that I think of you all every time I head out fishing. I use that 3 compartment pipe bag you sent me to carry my fly fishing paraphernalia. Most of the time I'll hang it from the boar's tusk necklace to keep it up out of the water. It virtually always reminds of you all and prompts me to say a prayer. Heck, half the time it prompts me to feel a bit guilty to be out fishing while there's so much hardship going on in your lives...
Sola Deo Gloria

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:03 pm

durangopipe wrote:Gabriel . . .

Your first attempts at an X Caddis are far better than mine were!

It might take a few hundred dozen of any new pattern for it to start looking really good. That's sort of what A.K. Best said on the subject. If a tier with his skill says that, I figure the rest of us shouldn't expect perfection too quickly!

But yours are already beyond good enough to take trout.

Few tips for this pattern:

More hair in the wing will definitely help the fly float better in turbulent water, and the standard tie does call for a fuller wing, but a sparse wing will work fine in flat water.

I'd go a tad more sparse on the body dubbing. I don't use a dubbing loop for this pattern. Twist the dubbing onto the waxed thread with thumb and forefinger. I don't know if this is the technique used in the video you have, but it's difficult to tie a sparse body on a small fly using a dubbing loop.

After you've tied the wing in (leave enough room on the hook shank so you don't crowd the eye) clip the hair butts in front of the thread a little longer. After a little practice you'll be able hold the butts back with the thumb and forefinger of your left hand while you tie a neat whip finish with your right hand working the tool. After you clip the thread and apply a touch of head cement to the knot with a needle, smooth the butts back down over the thread with your fingers.

No bulky thread head on this fly. The hair butts are the head and they should lie over the whip finish.

Don't mean to sound like some kind of self presumed expert. I was guide for 26 years. I've tied those few hundred dozen of most of the flies I use, and I still have an awful lot to learn.

Fish the ones you tied--the fish will gobble 'em up!
Thanks for chiming in!

I'm a complete novice when it comes to tying, so any advice is appreciated. I did apply the dubbing in the manner you describe. Those are my first attempts at dubbing anything, so I'm still working eyeballing the right amount and such.

I have a day off today so I've been working on my pheasant tail nymphs, finally got a decent looking wing case over a peacock herl thorax. I did some legs, but without any success so far. Lucky for me, I have lots of pheasant tail feathers. Hooks and beads I'll run out of first. Beads particularly.
Sola Deo Gloria

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:04 pm

Fred, I was trying to reverse engineer some of the last batch of nymphs you sent me and I'm struggling a bit. Would you mind posting a pattern, or is that not really possible?
Sola Deo Gloria

FredS

Post by FredS » Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:26 pm

Gabriel wrote:Fred, I was trying to reverse engineer some of the last batch of nymphs you sent me and I'm struggling a bit. Would you mind posting a pattern, or is that not really possible?
Which ones? Post a pic if you don't know the name. I should have the recipe. I have most of the patterns I tie in a database - with recipe, picture, and often links to internet videos or step-by-step tutorials.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Mon Jan 25, 2016 2:12 pm

FredS wrote:
Gabriel wrote:Fred, I was trying to reverse engineer some of the last batch of nymphs you sent me and I'm struggling a bit. Would you mind posting a pattern, or is that not really possible?
Which ones? Post a pic if you don't know the name. I should have the recipe. I have most of the patterns I tie in a database - with recipe, picture, and often links to internet videos or step-by-step tutorials.
Wow, you're way more organized than I hope to be... at least at this point in my life. Anyway, here are a couple pics (crappy phone pics) of some patterns that I've had a lot of success with from your collection:

Clauser Minnows

Pheasant Tail nymphs:

I think my Hair's Ear nymphs are from you as well, not to mention the always effective black woolly bugger. Right now I'm limited in what I tie by my material selection, but that won't be the case forever.
Sola Deo Gloria

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Mon Jan 25, 2016 2:15 pm

As long as I'm posting pics, here's a quick one on what I've been working on today:

Pheasant tail nymphs with wing cases and and a couple with legs.

Sola Deo Gloria

FredS

Post by FredS » Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:50 pm

Man, those PTN's from me don't look right. Tails are too long. I'll post recipes later. I may be able to get them tonight after our small group. If I haven't done so in a day or two then ping me.
Last edited by FredS on Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FredS

Post by FredS » Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:51 pm

Do we have enough fly tyers here for a fly swap? There seems to be 4-6 of us. I could facilitate it if there is any interest. All skill levels invited.

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:32 pm

FredS wrote:Man, those PTN's from me don't look right. Tails are too long. I'll post recipes later. I may be able to get them tonight after our small group. If I haven't done so in a day or two then ping me.
No huge rush, I'm back to work tomorrow so I won't be doing much tying for a couple days. I was mostly curious as to the head/thorax area. Looks like a rough dubbing thorax, but wasn't sure how you did the wing case/legs. It's just cause I'm a noob, I'm sure it's something someone else could figure out easily enough?

I do like the red wire. I've caught all manner of bluegill/sunfish, carp, and even bass on those #14 PTN's with the red wire. Oh sure, they'll eat the ones with copper wire too, but...
Sola Deo Gloria

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:06 pm

FredS wrote:Do we have enough fly tyers here for a fly swap? There seems to be 4-6 of us. I could facilitate it if there is any interest. All skill levels invited.
Sounds like it could be fun to me, provided folks truly wouldn't be irritated at my beginner's skills (or lack thereof).
Sola Deo Gloria

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:15 pm

I'd enjoy a fly swap . . .
I do have one problem, though.

I'm dealing with a back injury and haven't been able to sit at the tying bench for several months.
If you guys do any tailwater fishing, my midge box is pretty well stocked with midge pupae and if l'm unable to sit down and tie I could pull some out of there and send them along.

One of the rivers I guided was the San Juan and I always have a pretty good stash of midges.

Steve
The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.

J.R.R. Tolkien

Wherever we go in the world we find other men speaking the same language...dreaming the same dreams. And one of the big four - brownie, or brookie, cutthroat or rainbow - is the cause of it all.

Roderick Haig-Brown

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:42 pm

FredS wrote:Do we have enough fly tyers here for a fly swap? There seems to be 4-6 of us. I could facilitate it if there is any interest. All skill levels invited.
Yes. This.

I am not a tyer but I like seeing this.

:chili:
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip