The Fly Tying Thread

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Jocose
a large Chinese man named Wu

Re: The Fly Tying Thread

Post by Jocose » Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:46 pm

FredS wrote:Do we have enough fly tyers here for a fly swap? There seems to be 4-6 of us. I could facilitate it if there is any interest. All skill levels invited.
I'm in.
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

I've crossed the Bosphorus.

sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by sweetandsour » Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:56 pm

I'd love to be included in a fly swap, but I'm not quite ready yet. Perhaps by summer.

By the way, every time I see "wooly bugger" it reminds me of my wife's and my child-rearing days. Our family's secret word(s) was "wooly bugger". Our children were not to accept a ride, or pretty much anything else, from anyone, unless the person knew the "secret word". It's funny ... someone can ask our kids even now as adults, what the secret word is, and they laugh, but still remember it.
As thus we sat in darkness
Each one busy with his prayers,
"We are lost!" the captain shouted,
As he staggered down the stairs.

O love the Lord, all ye His saints: for the Lord preserveth the faithful. Psalm 31:23

JMG
Bearded Crusader for JUSTICE ... on a Mission
Bearded Crusader for JUSTICE ... on a Mission

Post by JMG » Mon Jan 25, 2016 6:30 pm

Gabriel wrote:
JMG wrote:
Gabriel wrote:My first attempts at a caddis fly. Dubbing and such is proving to be more challenging that it looks. Proportions are also a struggle.

These are pretty. A few of them would look super cool in a small shadow box on display.
Thanks! All I can see are the ugly parts of course...

I do keep meaning to mention that I think of you all every time I head out fishing. I use that 3 compartment pipe bag you sent me to carry my fly fishing paraphernalia. Most of the time I'll hang it from the boar's tusk necklace to keep it up out of the water. It virtually always reminds of you all and prompts me to say a prayer. Heck, half the time it prompts me to feel a bit guilty to be out fishing while there's so much hardship going on in your lives...
Never feel bad about the relaxing things God gives you. Fishing is likened to pipe smoking in my opinion. Some of my greatest memories and times alone with the Lord have been spent on the banks of some old pond by myself.
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets."
"When you're dumb, you've got to be tough." - my dad

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by durangopipe » Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:18 pm

. . . about the relaxing things God gives you. Fishing is likened to pipe smoking in my opinion. Some of my greatest memories and times alone with the Lord have been spent on the banks of some old pond by myself.
Amen!
The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.

J.R.R. Tolkien

Wherever we go in the world we find other men speaking the same language...dreaming the same dreams. And one of the big four - brownie, or brookie, cutthroat or rainbow - is the cause of it all.

Roderick Haig-Brown

Jocose

Post by Jocose » Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:37 pm

Jocose wrote:
FredS wrote:Do we have enough fly tyers here for a fly swap? There seems to be 4-6 of us. I could facilitate it if there is any interest. All skill levels invited.
I'm in.
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

Jocose

Post by Jocose » Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:03 pm

I call this one The Linted Loser

FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.

Post by FredS » Tue Jan 26, 2016 5:43 pm

At least it's barbless.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:48 pm

Yes, but that chimpanzee naval lint dubbing called for in the original recipe is very expensive.

Funny thing is, if that same "stuff" were rubber banded to a fish hook, I bet you could get some fish, somewhere, to take it!
The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.

J.R.R. Tolkien

Wherever we go in the world we find other men speaking the same language...dreaming the same dreams. And one of the big four - brownie, or brookie, cutthroat or rainbow - is the cause of it all.

Roderick Haig-Brown

FredS

Post by FredS » Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:26 pm

Clouser Minnows:
For some reason, I can't find my clouser recipe, but google it and you'll find many. I generally use bead chain eyes because they're much cheaper than barbell eyes and I usually fish them in still (or very slow) water for crappie and bass so they don't need to sink real fast. For surf or swift water I'd use the heavier lead eyes. Some of the ones I sent you were made with bucktail (the traditional material) and some were made regular craft fur from the hobby store and Ice Fur from Hareline. The Ice Fur in tan or silver really shines like a minnow.

Sawyers Pheasant Tail Nymph:
Hook: Down Eye Nymph, #12-18
Thread: Fine Copper Wire
Thorax: Copper Wire (under wrapped)
Tail, Body, Wing Case: Pheasant Tail Fibers
Head: Copper Wire
PTN Tutorial

Gold Ribbed Hare's Ear:
Hook: Down Eye Nymph, 1x or 2x, #8-18
Thread: Brown
Tail: Hare's Mask Guard Hairs, Squirrel Hair, Pheasant Tail or Hen Fibers
Rib: Gold Tinsel, Gold or Copper Wire
Body: Hare's Ear Dubbing
Thorax: Hares Ear Dubbing (with Guard Hairs) (same or darker than body), Flash, Pink Hot Spot
Wing Case: Pheasant or Turkey Tail Fibers, Flash, Crow Feather Fibers
Head : Thread or Bead
GRE Tutorial

I like flashy synthetics as much as the next guy, and I'm certainly not a purist, but the PTN and GRE are old school, simple patterns I like to tie without any new materials. You shoot (or buy) one rabbit and one pheasant every winter and you're good to go. Of course you can buy different colors of wire if you want, but an old lamp cord will supply more copper wire than you can use in a lifetime. There are dozens of variations for each, but I like to keep them simple - just the way our grandfathers did it.[
Last edited by FredS on Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

FredS

Post by FredS » Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:27 pm

oops

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:44 am

FredS wrote:Clouser Minnows:
Some of the ones I sent you were made with bucktail (the traditional material) and some were made regular craft fur from the hobby store and Ice Fur from Hareline. The Ice Fur in tan or silver really shines like a minnow.
The brown and silver shorter minnows you sent (bottom one in the crappy pic above), are those the Ice Fur? If so, I need to get some, those have been the most effective minnows I've had for sure. They do tend to get a little tangled or wrapped up by the fish and need a little tlc after a catch, but if I'm catching fish, I'm not complaining. :)
Sola Deo Gloria

FredS

Post by FredS » Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:28 pm

Yes, that one's made with Ice Fur.

And no, it's not OK to give your daughters Baribie or My Little Pony a haircut so you use the hair.

Those flies that foul the hook may have too much fur. You could try tying some with less to see if they're better. There's a similar fly pattern called Crappie Candy that uses marabou for the tail. I've not done in underwater comparisons but I imagine it would be more lively in the water than a clouser.

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:45 pm

A few pics from last night's session:

My daughter tied her first PTN. #14, gold wire, pheasant tail from one of my birds and peacock from a neighbor's farm. She was quite pleased. I only helped her a tiny bit here and there, she pretty much did this one.

This is the product of me having a bag full of assorted pheasant feathers and wondering what they'd look like as hackle. The barbs are pretty stiff, not sure how it will behave in the water, but it was fun to make. If i had some larger beads I probably would have done one with a bead head.
Sola Deo Gloria

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:07 pm

Great looking flies, Gabriel!
VERY fishy.

And be a proud dad . . . you're very much entitled!

J.R.R. Tolkien

Roderick Haig-Brown

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Sun Feb 28, 2016 8:28 pm

A certain upstanding member of CPS sent me a recently harvested buck tail a few weeks ago. It's been patiently drying in the garage, but as it's still February, it's been a slow process.

I went out and cut some of the fur off and played with it some this evening. I didn't follow any particular pattern, just getting a feel for the stuff and having fun. Once I get some decent streamers tied I'll have to name them after the donor... would be willing to take suggestions... a brown/black/white streamer named the "smokin' judge"? I dunno.. I huge thanks to JudgeRusty.

Some evidence of my first attempt:

Hm. the pic is a little less focused than I'd hoped. ah well. It's the brown/mottled fur from the center of the tail.
Sola Deo Gloria

JudgeRusty
Didn't even get to wear his hat
Didn't even get to wear his hat

Post by JudgeRusty » Sun Feb 28, 2016 8:40 pm

Gabriel wrote:A certain upstanding member of CPS sent me a recently harvested buck tail a few weeks ago. It's been patiently drying in the garage, but as it's still February, it's been a slow process.

I went out and cut some of the fur off and played with it some this evening. I didn't follow any particular pattern, just getting a feel for the stuff and having fun. Once I get some decent streamers tied I'll have to name them after the donor... would be willing to take suggestions... a brown/black/white streamer named the "smokin' judge"? I dunno.. I huge thanks to JudgeRusty.

Some evidence of my first attempt:

Hm. the pic is a little less focused than I'd hoped. ah well. It's the brown/mottled fur from the center of the tail.
Exciting to see the progress. Glad to help.
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:12 pm

Good work Gabriel!
You're a good pal, Rusty!

A couple of quick tips?

1) When working with bucktail, a hair stacker is your friend! (You can make due with a shotglass. Put a snip of hair in it fine ends down, tip the glass a bit and tap until the tips are even, grab the bunch and tie it in.
2) When tying bucktail streamers, sparse is good. They sink faster, swim better, look better and allow you to tie a neater head.

You are progressing rapidly, fly tier!

J.R.R. Tolkien

Roderick Haig-Brown

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:47 pm

durangopipe wrote:Good work Gabriel!
You're a good pal, Rusty!

A couple of quick tips?

1) When working with bucktail, a hair stacker is your friend! (You can make due with a shotglass. Put a snip of hair in it fine ends down, tip the glass a bit and tap until the tips are even, grab the bunch and tie it in.
2) When tying bucktail streamers, sparse is good. They sink faster, swim better, look better and allow you to tie a neater head.

You are progressing rapidly, fly tier!
Thanks for the advice. Yeah, that's a bit 'ol wad of thread on the head for sure. Next time I'll scale everything back. I actually do have a stacker, just haven't really used it much, looks like it's time to practice. I need to track down some eye material and maybe some crystal flash or something similar as well. I'm at a bit of a disadvantage in that I don't have a shop close by to purchase materials so I either scrounge or order online. I hate ordering anything online until I actually know that I'll use it though.
Sola Deo Gloria

FredS

Post by FredS » Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:39 am

Nice.

Yeah, one or two strips of something flashy for a lateral line goes a long way towards making that bucktail scream "minnow", but there are a hundred old school bucktail streamer patterns tied before krystal flash was were around. Many of them (see Mickey Finn) are tied with silver material wrapped around the hook instead of between the top & bottom layers of hair. You can use silver Christmas tree tinsel or even a cut up silver anti-static bag that computer parts are shipped in or a mylar balloon.

BTW - Easter is coming so your local Walmart will have a good supply of plastic grass for baskets. If you're on a budget, that stuff works great for scud backs or wing cases. I've found some in pink and pearlescent white/clear that works well. It's hard to find in thin strips that work for flies smaller than 14, but you can cut it down if you want to go to the effort.

Re-purposing household items has it's own charm but if you can afford it, purpose made materials on a spool or hank are a lot easier to use. Whittling a cork or balsa popper body (or even cutting foam ones from your kids flip flops) is fun - once or twice - but it's much easier and quicker to buy them for $0.40 apiece.

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:53 am

FredS wrote:Nice.

Yeah, one or two strips of something flashy for a lateral line goes a long way towards making that bucktail scream "minnow", but there are a hundred old school bucktail streamer patterns tied before krystal flash was were around. Many of them (see Mickey Finn) are tied with silver material wrapped around the hook instead of between the top & bottom layers of hair. You can use silver Christmas tree tinsel or even a cut up silver anti-static bag that computer parts are shipped in or a mylar balloon.
You can't tell from the pics, but I had wrapped the hook with gold wire, just for the practice. I'll get around to scrounging up some shiny stuff here one of these days. Heck, my birthday is coming up I might just fill up cart at the J. Stockard site and have Nikki and the kids get it for my birthday...
Whittling a cork or balsa popper body (or even cutting foam ones from your kids flip flops) is fun - once or twice - but it's much easier and quicker to buy them for $0.40 apiece.
Yeah... was actually considering buying some sneaky petes on my last leader/tippet order rather than figure out how to make them. I didn't though and now I'm not seeing myself paying shipping on a few poppers. Surprisingly enough, I fish for bass regularly, but rarely use poppers/sliders to do so. I plan to add a few to the arsenal this summer once the bass are up in the warm shallows.
Sola Deo Gloria