The Fly Tying Thread

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed

Re: The Fly Tying Thread

Post by Bloodhound » Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:14 am

That is a great video! When I was skiing I stuck with the groomed runs, I always wanted to free ski, but I was too much of a pansy. :) Those mountains call to me! From Ouray to Ophir...wow! Thanks for posting this.

Praying for the family.
Last edited by Bloodhound on Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by durangopipe » Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:08 pm

FredS wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:55 am
It's beautiful, that place you call home.
I thank God every day.
Glad you can now call Colorado home, as well, Fred.
The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:56 pm

More experiments. Inspired by the salmon flies we’ve been talking about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sola Deo Gloria

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:57 pm

Once I saw the pic I realized I forgot the tail...
Sola Deo Gloria

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:08 pm

Gabriel wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:56 pm
More experiments. Inspired by the salmon flies we’ve been talking about.

That is a beautiful fly!
I love it.
Doesn’t need a tail.

The taper on the body is perfect, proportions are right, the tie is neat and the head is small and clear of the eye.

Name it after your wife or one of your children, tie a dozen and fish the hell out of it. I’ll tell you this - salmon and steelhead will eat it, and freestone trout in fast water will, too.

Well done, Gabe!

I fear you’ve caught the salmon fly fever. I totally understand. I’m tempted to gather up my salmon fly boxes and take a photo, but I don’t want to get laughed off the forum. Besides, I might not have a wide angle lens wide enough. :pipe3:

Now you have to take the family on a road trip to coastal BC and fish ‘em for sea runs!

By the way, that would be a killer fly for pink salmon. They love red. And you can fish for them with a 6 wt.
The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:06 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:08 pm

That is a beautiful fly!
I love it.
Thanks!
durangopipe wrote:
I fear you’ve caught the salmon fly fever. I totally understand. I’m tempted to gather up my salmon fly boxes and take a photo, but I don’t want to get laughed off the forum. Besides, I might not have a wide angle lens wide enough. :pipe3:
Do it! Or, at least some of them.

Now if only I lived near some salmon water...
durangopipe wrote:
Now you have to take the family on a road trip to coastal BC and fish ‘em for sea runs!
By the way, that would be a killer fly for pink salmon. They love red. And you can fish for them with a 6 wt.
Hey... I like they way you're thinkin' here... :bacon:
Sola Deo Gloria

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:45 pm

Last one for tonight. I found a Spey type hook lurking in the box and tried this fly again. I’m looking for criticism on this. Am I too far back on the shank? What else should be better?

Sola Deo Gloria

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:04 am

Gabriel wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:45 pm
Last one for tonight. I found a Spey type hook lurking in the box and tried this fly again. I’m looking for criticism on this. Am I too far back on the shank? What else should be better?

Gabriel ...

The body is not too far back. It should end, as it does, directly above the barb. But it does not come forward enough, and that’s why the proportions look a bit off.

When tying with a loop-eye hook, start the thread immediately behind where the loop eye bends up and wind close wraps over the two sides of the loop and back to the barb. Your last whip finish turn on the head when the fly is done should be in the same place where you started - just behind where the loop eye angles up.

Oh . . .

And the pinks run during late August and early September on Vancouver Island.
Which is beautiful. Your wife will love Victoria. Mine adores it. It’s like being in England, double decker busses and all. After a day or two you can head “up Island” to camp and fish.

Just sayin’. :whistling:

We used to go for two weeks every summer. My wife and son loved it.

FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.

Post by FredS » Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:53 am

I really like how you're using those guinea feathers on your wet flies Gabriel. The white spots - artsy folk call that negative space - make those things look like they're wiggling when they're still in the vice.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

FredS

Post by FredS » Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:38 pm

Transferring some pics from my phone to the pc and found a couple that might interest you guys.

A stonefly exoskeleton. The final transformation from nymph to adult, when they crawl out of the water on to a rock or vegetation near the water and shed one last time. I didn't realize they shed everything. Notice the tiny 'antenna and tails' that are hollow.

Some sort of mayfly. Look how long the 'tails' are!
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:59 pm

Great photos, Fred!

I’d guess that mayfly as some kind of Cloeon (one of the Baetidae genera), possibly dipterum, but that’s just a guess.
It’s definitely a male. Those big eyes are for finding a girlfriend.

Old timers would call it, and fish, a “little dark dun” and be just fine.

FredS

Post by FredS » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:31 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:59 pm
. . . Old timers would call it, and fish, a “little dark dun” and be just fine.
Count me as an old timer than. He was kinda dark up front, olive out back. That's all I need to know.

This was during an evening hatch on a small lake back in Missouri. I'd never seen anything like it. There were hundreds of swallows swooshing over the water picking these guys up as they took off. I snatched this one off a rock and held it for a minute or two while it's wings dried, then gave him a toss. I'm not kidding you, a swallow swooped in and ate him about two feet above my head. I could hear the birds beak clomp shut. To this day, I can hardly believe that bird saw this itty bitty bug, changed course and closed the distance in just a second or two after it left my hand. It's s*** like this that people who don't go out there just don't understand or appreciate.

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:25 pm

FredS wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:31 pm
durangopipe wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:59 pm
. . . Old timers would call it, and fish, a “little dark dun” and be just fine.
Count me as an old timer than. He was kinda dark up front, olive out back. That's all I need to know.

This was during an evening hatch on a small lake back in Missouri. I'd never seen anything like it. There were hundreds of swallows swooshing over the water picking these guys up as they took off. I snatched this one off a rock and held it for a minute or two while it's wings dried, then gave him a toss. I'm not kidding you, a swallow swooped in and ate him about two feet above my head. I could hear the birds beak clomp shut. To this day, I can hardly believe that bird saw this itty bitty bug, changed course and closed the distance in just a second or two after it left my hand. It's s*** like this that people who don't go out there just don't understand or appreciate.
Love your story, Fred.

I’ve fished many an evening hatch when the swooping swallows filled the sky. The San Juan is famous for this, the surrounding sandstone cliffs being covered with many thousands of swallow nests.

Cant’t begin to tell you how many swallows I’ve released after bring the still flying birds in, hand over hand, after they’d gotten my leader caught between a wing and their body.

There are so many magical times to be fishing, but a sunset with the sky filled with swallows is hard to beat.

Dlibbon
Pastor
Pastor

Post by Dlibbon » Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:38 pm

Hey guys this is not a Fly Tying question but more a Fly gear question. Last year I got a sling pack from an unheard of company off of Amazon. The idea was to keep a go bag ready so when I had the off moment I could head to the local pond or stream and hit the pressure release button. The sling pack I got broke within the first month (a zipper) and was unusable a year after.

How do you carry gear? I'm looking to have Water, fly box, tippet, maybe a hammock (ENO) style.

Any recommendations on a budget?

The one I had was so cheap I can't find it on Amazon anymore!

FredS

Post by FredS » Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:16 pm

I use a messenger bag (aka purse). The one on the right in this pic is my current bag. Bought it from China via aliexpress.com.

The other two were steps towards my current one. I found that I filled every nook and cranny available and ended up carrying too much stuff for fishing familiar, local water. The Red Rock bag in front is a sling bag, the green Extreme Pak is a messenger style bag. PM your address if you'd like either of the two on the left and I'll give it to you.

I'm a gear junky and I had a Swiss Army knife, a thermometer, a compass, a pen light, extra forceps, extra scissors, bottle opener, and fly floatant (two kinds) hanging from those molle straps. In Missouri, rarely fished more than a half mile from the car so there's no way I needed to carry all that stuff. It would have been just as well to leave it in my larger bag back at the car and go get it if I ever needed it.

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:02 pm

Nice bags! I've been thinking about watching for a sling pack myself.

My current bag is fanny pack that I have clipped a strap to and carry over my shoulder on my hip, like a messenger bag. I'll take a pic when I get home, but It's pretty ideal. I can easily fit more flies than I need, tippet, extra leaders, pipe/tobacco/lighter/cigars, nippers, forceps, floatant, and the occasional can or coffee cup depending on how loaded it is. The limited space keeps my from getting too carried away, but still allows me to carry slightly too much... my nippers and forceps are on zingers on the outside.
Sola Deo Gloria

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:12 pm

Dlibbon . . .

In all honesty, you don’t need a high-tech fishing pack or vest.

The one I use for two-handed outings is a cheap fanny pack with a water bottle pocket (actually, two - I keep my pipe pouch in the pocket for the second water bottle). I got it at Sierra Trading Post for very little.

In deep water, I sling it over my shoulder.
I wear a lanyard - a knotted boot lace to which hemostats and a scissor pliers are clipped and from which a nipper is strung.

I’ll make a photo later.

You can probably duplicate the whole shebang, with tools, for less than $25.

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:19 pm

Gabriel wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:02 pm

My current bag is fanny pack that I have clipped a strap to and carry over my shoulder on my hip, like a messenger bag. I'll take a pic when I get home, but It's pretty ideal. I can easily fit more flies than I need, tippet, extra leaders, pipe/tobacco/lighter/cigars, nippers, forceps, floatant, and the occasional can or coffee cup depending on how loaded it is. The limited space keeps my from getting too carried away, but still allows me to carry slightly too much... my nippers and forceps are on zingers on the outside.
Aha, found a couple pics taken by my wife in which I'm wearing my bag. It's been very economical for me, as someone I work with had it given to him and he didn't want it, so he gave it to me. I assume with a little patience it wouldn't be hard to find something similar for not too much money? One main compartment with interior side pockets, one secondary full width pocket (zipper), two half width pockets with velcro flap closure. In deeper water I cinch that strap up as far as I can and sling it behind me a bit.

Sola Deo Gloria

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:00 pm

Gabriel wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:19 pm
Gabriel wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:02 pm

Aha, found a couple pics taken by my wife in which I'm wearing my bag. It's been very economical for me, as someone I work with had it given to him and he didn't want it, so he gave it to me. I assume with a little patience it wouldn't be hard to find something similar for not too much money? One main compartment with interior side pockets, one secondary full width pocket (zipper), two half width pockets with velcro flap closure. In deeper water I cinch that strap up as far as I can and sling it behind me a bit.

Love the photos!

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:59 pm

Dlibbon wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:38 pm
Hey guys this is not a Fly Tying question but more a Fly gear question. Last year I got a sling pack from an unheard of company off of Amazon. The idea was to keep a go bag ready so when I had the off moment I could head to the local pond or stream and hit the pressure release button. The sling pack I got broke within the first month (a zipper) and was unusable a year after.

How do you carry gear? I'm looking to have Water, fly box, tippet, maybe a hammock (ENO) style.

Any recommendations on a budget?

The one I had was so cheap I can't find it on Amazon anymore!
This looks pretty nice:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/REDINGTON-FLY- ... SwUlxaJgn8

There are lots more, pretty reasonable.
I searched, “fishing pack.”