The Fly Tying Thread

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Re: The Fly Tying Thread

Post by durangopipe » Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:39 pm

Classic!
The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.

J.R.R. Tolkien

Wherever we go in the world we find other men speaking the same language...dreaming the same dreams. And one of the big four - brownie, or brookie, cutthroat or rainbow - is the cause of it all.

Roderick Haig-Brown

FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.

Post by FredS » Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:12 pm

Nice one Gabriel.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

The Fly Tying Thread

Post by Gabriel » Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:03 pm

Had a few scraps left over. Might call this one "Beaker".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sola Deo Gloria

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:12 pm

Gabriel wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:03 pm

I like it.
The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.

J.R.R. Tolkien

Wherever we go in the world we find other men speaking the same language...dreaming the same dreams. And one of the big four - brownie, or brookie, cutthroat or rainbow - is the cause of it all.

Roderick Haig-Brown

FredS

Post by FredS » Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:47 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:12 pm
Gabriel wrote:

I like it.
Why the hell do I understand the reference to "Beaker"?
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:31 pm

FredS wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:47 pm
durangopipe wrote:
Gabriel wrote:

I like it.
You are wise to the eyes!

J.R.R. Tolkien

Roderick Haig-Brown

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:07 pm

:lol: :lol:
Sola Deo Gloria

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:25 pm

I think you should create a Muppets series of flies, Gabriel.

J.R.R. Tolkien

Roderick Haig-Brown

Sir Moose
President Jar-Jar Binks fan club: "Meesa tink he da best!" - Perpetually in Trouble
President Jar-Jar Binks fan club: "Meesa tink he da best!" - Perpetually in Trouble

Post by Sir Moose » Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:06 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:31 pm
FredS wrote:
durangopipe wrote:
Gabriel wrote:

I like it.
Except I'm pretty sure that isn't Beaker - it's Pepe the King Prawn.

In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:08 pm

Sir Moose wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:06 pm
durangopipe wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:31 pm
FredS wrote:
durangopipe wrote:
Gabriel wrote:

I like it.
Except I'm pretty sure that isn't Beaker - it's Pepe the King Prawn.

Wow!
I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!

J.R.R. Tolkien

Roderick Haig-Brown

FredS

Post by FredS » Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:30 am

durangopipe wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:08 pm
. . .I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!
Post of the year and newest quote in my sig line.

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:03 am

FredS wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:30 am
durangopipe wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:08 pm
. . .I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!
Post of the year and newest quote in my sig line.
I'm honored. :pipe3:

J.R.R. Tolkien

Roderick Haig-Brown

sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by sweetandsour » Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:23 pm

One of you guys tie me a couple of salt water shrimp. I'll send you some materials. I'm planning some night fishing for specks and sand trout.
As thus we sat in darkness
Each one busy with his prayers,
"We are lost!" the captain shouted,
As he staggered down the stairs.

O love the Lord, all ye His saints: for the Lord preserveth the faithful. Psalm 31:23

FredS

Post by FredS » Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:42 pm

There are exactly 1,936 salt water shrimp fly patterns. Any idea what the locals have luck with? White, brown, green, pink, orange?

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:58 pm

Top colors lately are white, red and white, and of coarse chartreuse. Anyone who fly fishes here has what they call a "sea-duecer", which is typically good for tailing redfish. But what I want to try is something large finicky speckled trout will go after at night under the lights, when glass minnows and shrimp and shad are the buffet items. I'd think that the ticket would be something sinking just under the surface, but stay up well when stripping line.
As thus we sat in darkness
Each one busy with his prayers,
"We are lost!" the captain shouted,
As he staggered down the stairs.

O love the Lord, all ye His saints: for the Lord preserveth the faithful. Psalm 31:23

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:01 pm

Gabriel wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:19 pm
JimVH wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:40 pm
durangopipe wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:37 pm

The best crawfish pattern, and the easiest to tie, I've used is nothing more than a brown wooly bugger with one addition: a pair of curved brown feathers (pheasant breast feathers work great) tied opposite each other on both sides of the rear of the hook curving outward on either side of a brown marabou tail. If you strip it with short strips, the water pushes the feathers toward the tail and when you stop the strip they pop back out to where they were. This simulates a swimming crawfish pretty well. It's a great stillwater or slow moving river pattern.

I tied this fly for the lower stretches of a tributary of the Animas, the Florida River, locally pronounced Flo-ree'-da, and we named it the Floreeda Crab. Subsequently, I got to fish it in the lakes at Elk Trout Lodge (a buddy who guides there got us
in; no way in hell we could afford to fish there) and it worked really well in their crawdad filled water.

If you don't have any pheasant feathers, try it with a couple of those died mallard flank feathers.

If you want you can make eyes at the head of the fly with about an inch or so of 3X mono tied in a road the hook and melted with a lighter.

Give it a try!
Durangopipe: A CPS Treasure
Ain't that the truth!

Thanks for the suggestion DP, I actually have all that, or close enough. I have a whole pheasant skin from last hunting season, plus others. I'll have to see what I can do...
Nothing to add at the moment, just moving this conversation to the Tying Thread. I hope to have some time tonight or Saturday to experiment with crayfish patterns. Gonna have to be creative with colors.
Sola Deo Gloria

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:15 pm

Ok Durangopipe... my first attempt at your suggestion...

Keeping those feathers on the strait and level is a pain in the butt for sure. These ended up rotated a bit.

So, critique away, I need suggestions and I'm all ears.

Sola Deo Gloria

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:24 pm

(Or anyone else, of course)
Sola Deo Gloria

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:38 pm

Gabriel wrote:
Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:15 pm
Ok Durangopipe... my first attempt at your suggestion...

Keeping those feathers on the strait and level is a pain in the butt for sure. These ended up rotated a bit.

So, critique away, I need suggestions and I'm all ears.

Looks like a fly to try, Gabriel.

I'm a little worried about the weight distribution and how it's going to fish with a bead-eye in front and bead chain in the back. Honestly can't say--never tried it.

But I think this fly would work best without any weight and mono-eyes. Do the eyes first so you don't burn any feathers. I don't think the fish give a hoot about the eyes. They're more to catch fishermen, but they look cool. You can tie the fly without them if you want. What catches fish, mostly, is proper movement in the materials and a good silhouette. Then size. Then color. Then whether you're sticking your tongue out or not.

So:

Fish that one, and if it catches the hell out of them, give it a name, and you're famous!
Tell everyone it's better than my fly and they'll say, "Who?"

Also, tie one just like that, but with no weight, and some brown marabou between the "claws," if you have some and if not a clump of brown feather fibers like you would for a tail. There are a lot of wiggly parts - antennae, mouth parts - on the front end of a crawdad, back end of the fly.

Those, by the way, are the same pheasant feathers I used on mine.

When you fish it, as we almost always do here with nymphs, tie on about 12"-18" of tippet and put some lead (usually slips shot) above the knot so it won't slide down. That's pretty much a standard nymph rig. Weighted flied work fine if they're weighted properly for the water you're fishing, but if you don't weight the nymphs and use split shot or other weight just above the tippet knot you can adjust there weight so it's appropriate for the water and still fish the same flies.

The wrinkle is that this rig is a little harder to cast. You have to open up the loop a little and not tail the cast. It helps if you angle the cast rod to the side a bit or throw Belgian (not a Belgian person, a cast), which is bringing the bakcast back low and to the side and coming over the top when you go forward. There are videos. First, I'd just tip the rod off to the right a little.

Good luck!!

J.R.R. Tolkien

Roderick Haig-Brown

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:57 pm

Yes, I'm curious about the weight distribution as well... the bead chain eyes are my attempt to have the fly swim hook up and off the bottom. The front bead is to get it to the bottom. Will they work together? Who knows... it is kind of an ugly set up.

It's hard to see, but there is a maribou "tail" between the feathers, fairly sparse and crowded out though. I had given some thought to squirrel tail or buck tail there?

One of these days I'll work up the wherewithal to fish with shot on the line, but... I still resist it as antithetical to fly fishing. I know it's a common practice, and probably more effective than weighting half of my flies but... I dunno... :)

Now you know why I'm always saying my wooly bugger casts are ugly. I don't think I've ever fished one without a heavy brass bead in the front.

I'll try some non-weighted with mono eyes... if I can find my mono...
Sola Deo Gloria