The Fly Tying Thread

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Re: The Fly Tying Thread

Post by durangopipe » Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:21 pm

Gabriel wrote:
Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:57 pm
It's hard to see, but there is a maribou "tail" between the feathers, fairly sparse and crowded out though. I had given some thought to squirrel tail or buck tail there?
Yup. Try everything. That's the fun.
But also, more marabou.

:pipe3:
The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.

J.R.R. Tolkien

Wherever we go in the world we find other men speaking the same language...dreaming the same dreams. And one of the big four - brownie, or brookie, cutthroat or rainbow - is the cause of it all.

Roderick Haig-Brown

FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.

Post by FredS » Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:33 am

Of course Steve's advice is right on. That's what 70 years experience will do for a guy. Kelly Gallop has some videos online about rigging nymphs similar to what Steve advised. Might be worth a look on youtube.

If I know that I'll always want to bump a fly along the bottom, or want it to get down there quickly (stop it Jocose) I add weight while tying it. If I want options, I'll tie without lead or heavy eyes. Bead chain eyes aren't all that heavy really, but they do help to get the fly riding hook up like you wrote. I have some black plastic bead chain eyes I picked up someplace a few years ago that I thought would be perfect crawdad eyes but I've never got around to tying with them. Since I've not tied or fished a fly like that I don't know if it matters, but I wonder if it would help to snip the rachis a quarter inch or so from the tip to present a 'V' or not. I suppose they don't go 'round with their claws open all the time so it probably doesn't.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

FredS

Post by FredS » Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:30 am

Here's Frenchie.

It's basically a pimped up PTN with a hot spot (two in fact) and bead tied - as the name suggests - in a Euro style. Lance Eagan claims the red thread built up behind the bead is an effective secondary hot spot. I wanted to use Coq de Leon for the tail but neither I nor my local shops had any. Then I remembered the feathers from Slow Toke. When used in bunches of 5 or 6 fibers, they have a nice speckly pattern. Probably not as durable as CdL but hey, it's neat to use feathers from a friend. I think the pheasant tail feather I used came from Gabriel.

EDIT: Neither of my local shops had 'shrimp pink' dubbing either so I mixed some white, hot pink, and orange UV Ice Dub for the hot spot. Since this fly uses so little dubbing I had to be very particular to get a good mix so each color ended up on the thread.
Last edited by FredS on Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:37 am

FredS wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:30 am
Here's Frenchie.

It's basically a pimped up PTN with a hot spot (two in fact) and bead tied - as the name suggests - in a Euro style. Lance Eagan claims the red thread built up behind the bead is an effective secondary hot spot. I wanted to use Coq de Leon for the tail but neither I nor my local shops had any. Then I remembered the feathers from Slow Toke. When used in bunches of 5 or 6 fibers, they have a nice speckly pattern. Probably not as durable as CdL but hey, it's neat to use feathers from a friend. I think the pheasant tail feather I used came from Gabriel.

Beautiful!
That looks like Guinea hen (Guineafowl) feather??

If so, they are soft and webby and are also terrific as a dark, mottled hackle for soft-hackle flies.
The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.

J.R.R. Tolkien

Wherever we go in the world we find other men speaking the same language...dreaming the same dreams. And one of the big four - brownie, or brookie, cutthroat or rainbow - is the cause of it all.

Roderick Haig-Brown

FredS

Post by FredS » Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:57 pm

"I think I have enough pheasant tail nymphs." - said no fisherman ever

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:01 pm

Q: What does a pheasant tail nymph imitate?
A: How much time do you have?

Great nymphs, Fred!

J.R.R. Tolkien

Roderick Haig-Brown

FredS

Post by FredS » Tue Jul 04, 2017 5:20 pm

Switching from nymphs to dries.

Here's a Palomino Caddis (light wire emerger hook, ultra chanile body, CDC feather 'under wing', a bit of dubbing, elk hair):

A cup full of #14 Palominos:

A cup full of #16 EHC and X Caddis:
(there's a couple stowaways hiding in there)

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:07 pm

That is one fantastic looking fly . . .
That this old dog has never seen before!

J.R.R. Tolkien

Roderick Haig-Brown

Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed

Post by Bloodhound » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:03 am

Those are great looking flys...Getting ready for your Colorado trip?
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

FredS

Post by FredS » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:43 am

Bloodhound wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:03 am
Those are great looking flys...Getting ready for your Colorado trip?
Yep. My two brothers decided they want to give it a go, so I'm trying to fill boxes with the basics for each of them as well as resupplying my own trout boxes.

FredS

Post by FredS » Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:18 pm

More PTN's. These ones are tied 'Murican' style and with bead heads. Half flash backs, half not. Sizes 14, 16, 18.

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:31 pm

FredS wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:18 pm
More PTN's. These ones are tied 'Murican' style and with bead heads. Half flash backs, half not. Sizes 14, 16, 18.
Beautifully tied, Fred.
And you can never have too many PTNs!

J.R.R. Tolkien

Roderick Haig-Brown

FredS

Post by FredS » Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:32 pm

I've been messing with midge emergers with a foam 'wing' and left one in the vise last night. I'm doing some major spring cleaning in the office/den today and grandson #2 is in here with me. He just came over with a foam 'wing' pinched between his tiny fingers and said 'this fell off your bee'. He was awful sorry and said he'd try to fix it, but I told him we could just make a new one.

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:40 pm

FredS wrote:
Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:32 pm
I've been messing with midge emergers with a foam 'wing' and left one in the vise last night. I'm doing some major spring cleaning in the office/den today and grandson #2 is in here with me. He just came over with a foam 'wing' pinched between his tiny fingers and said 'this fell off your bee'. He was awful sorry and said he'd try to fix it, but I told him we could just make a new one.
I'd love to have my grandkids close enough so they could find my "bees."
You've been "messing" with midges, with the "blessing" of grandkids around.

Your flies show the same attention to detail that your pipes do, Fred.
I fear, unlike the flies I tied for the shop, the flies in my fishing boxes were usually somewhat rushed and ragged!

J.R.R. Tolkien

Roderick Haig-Brown

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

The Fly Tying Thread

Post by Gabriel » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:45 pm

I've been only minimally on CPS of late, and hope to do a more detailed "update" post in this thread and others, but for now...

We were able to acquire a desk from Mrs Gabriel's grandmother recently that I am taking for a dedicated fly tying space. Whoohoo! It's a roll top, so I can just shut it and walk away. Love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sola Deo Gloria

UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Post by UncleBob » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:51 pm

Gabriel wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:45 pm
I've been only minimally on CPS of late, and hope to do a more detailed "update" post in this thread and others, but for now...

We were able to acquire a desk from Mrs Gabriel's grandmother recently that I am taking for a dedicated fly tying space. Whoohoo! It's a roll top, so I can just shut it and walk away. Love it.

That is sweet!
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

Jocose
a large Chinese man named Wu
a large Chinese man named Wu

Post by Jocose » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:01 pm

UncleBob wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:51 pm
Gabriel wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:45 pm

That is sweet!
+ :chili:
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

I've crossed the Bosphorus.

sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by sweetandsour » Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:38 pm

An excerpt from an old Joe Doggett article, describing his examination of a cache of old tackle that had been given to him, is attached below. I thought that some of you may get a kick out of it, particularly his mentioning of pipe smoking, Penn tobacco, cane rods and various flies. Oh, and btw Gabriel, very nice desk; it would really look great up against a green wall like that one of 7formy1911's.

"Perhaps more interesting than the tackle were the brochures and clippings and notes that the long-ago fisherman had saved. As any angler will agree, a tackle box becomes a stockpile not just for lures, but for memories. I regretted that no formal log book or diary had been preserved; however, the faded and random papers unraveled a trail of largemouth bass and speckled trout in local waters, as well as smallmouth bass and freshwater trout in northern reaches. Imagine the unspoiled realms that gear once covered.

The old angler lived in an affluent Houston neighborhood. He smoked a pipe and enjoyed Penn tobacco. He was well-read and kept useful clips of information. Interestingly, the "Big Three" national outdoor magazines have remained a main source of inspiration and instruction to anglers. Some things, apparently, do not change.

A page from the Field & Stream of April 1938 detailed identification of largemouth and smallmouth bass (perhaps a prelude to a trip to the Ozarks or Canada for "brownies"). Field & Stream of November 1944 touted a new, short-butt fly rod. Sports Afield of February 1944 contained a useful article penned by Philip Armstrong on the care of fishing lines. Ray Bergman, Outdoor Life's great fishing editor, explained in March 1942 how to work the wet fly.

A clip from the National Sportsman of March 1940 listed the top trout flies based on a nationwide survey. Obviously, cold-water trout fishing was an important part of the old angler's career. Two high-grade 8 1/2-foot, select cane Heddon Premier fly rods (HDH line size, roughly today's 6-weight) supported this enthusiasm. So did cards from fishing camps and tackle shops in Gunnison and Lake City, Colo.

A color brochure from Abbey & Imbrie, established 1820, New York ("extra fine quality gold seal trout flies"), was tucked for pattern references. Circled in pencil were wet-fly killers such as Royal Coach (Size No. 10 and 12), Silver Doctor (No. 10) and, for bass, the gaudy Parmachenee Belle.

A hand-written note on brittle folds of parchment-like paper quoted "L.L. Bean's Big Six Bass Flies." Making Bean's cut, along with the Parmachenee Belle were the Scarlet Ibis, Col. Fuller, Montreal, Gray Hackle and Brown Hackle.

These ancient bass patterns boasted large, wide, flat wing hackles. The typical profile is almost round -- not the easiest payload to cast with even a high-tech graphite fly rod, not to mention the slow, soft, saggy bamboo rods. I can imagine the gentlemen of yore grunting and groaning, clamping pipe stems over creaking cane, trying to carry the awkward and outrageous flies to fishable distance. Bass being bass didn't give a damn. They would hit, anyway."[
As thus we sat in darkness
Each one busy with his prayers,
"We are lost!" the captain shouted,
As he staggered down the stairs.

O love the Lord, all ye His saints: for the Lord preserveth the faithful. Psalm 31:23

FredS

Post by FredS » Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:01 am

Oh boy Gabriel. That's a whole lotta empty space that needs filling.

Bloodhound

Post by Bloodhound » Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:50 am

sweetandsour wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:38 pm
An excerpt from an old Joe Doggett article, describing his examination of a cache of old tackle that had been given to him, is attached below. I thought that some of you may get a kick out of it, particularly his mentioning of pipe smoking, Penn tobacco, cane rods and various flies. Oh, and btw Gabriel, very nice desk; it would really look great up against a green wall like that one of 7formy1911's.

"Perhaps more interesting than the tackle were the brochures and clippings and notes that the long-ago fisherman had saved. As any angler will agree, a tackle box becomes a stockpile not just for lures, but for memories. I regretted that no formal log book or diary had been preserved; however, the faded and random papers unraveled a trail of largemouth bass and speckled trout in local waters, as well as smallmouth bass and freshwater trout in northern reaches. Imagine the unspoiled realms that gear once covered.

The old angler lived in an affluent Houston neighborhood. He smoked a pipe and enjoyed Penn tobacco. He was well-read and kept useful clips of information. Interestingly, the "Big Three" national outdoor magazines have remained a main source of inspiration and instruction to anglers. Some things, apparently, do not change.

A page from the Field & Stream of April 1938 detailed identification of largemouth and smallmouth bass (perhaps a prelude to a trip to the Ozarks or Canada for "brownies"). Field & Stream of November 1944 touted a new, short-butt fly rod. Sports Afield of February 1944 contained a useful article penned by Philip Armstrong on the care of fishing lines. Ray Bergman, Outdoor Life's great fishing editor, explained in March 1942 how to work the wet fly.

A clip from the National Sportsman of March 1940 listed the top trout flies based on a nationwide survey. Obviously, cold-water trout fishing was an important part of the old angler's career. Two high-grade 8 1/2-foot, select cane Heddon Premier fly rods (HDH line size, roughly today's 6-weight) supported this enthusiasm. So did cards from fishing camps and tackle shops in Gunnison and Lake City, Colo.

A color brochure from Abbey & Imbrie, established 1820, New York ("extra fine quality gold seal trout flies"), was tucked for pattern references. Circled in pencil were wet-fly killers such as Royal Coach (Size No. 10 and 12), Silver Doctor (No. 10) and, for bass, the gaudy Parmachenee Belle.

A hand-written note on brittle folds of parchment-like paper quoted "L.L. Bean's Big Six Bass Flies." Making Bean's cut, along with the Parmachenee Belle were the Scarlet Ibis, Col. Fuller, Montreal, Gray Hackle and Brown Hackle.

These ancient bass patterns boasted large, wide, flat wing hackles. The typical profile is almost round -- not the easiest payload to cast with even a high-tech graphite fly rod, not to mention the slow, soft, saggy bamboo rods. I can imagine the gentlemen of yore grunting and groaning, clamping pipe stems over creaking cane, trying to carry the awkward and outrageous flies to fishable distance. Bass being bass didn't give a damn. They would hit, anyway."[

This is just cool! Thank you S&S

Gabe congrats on the desk...looks great!
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD