The Fly Tying Thread

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Post Reply
User avatar
Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed
Posts: 5909
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: Rocky Mountains / Colorado
Contact:

Re: The Fly Tying Thread

Post by Bloodhound » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:52 am

DP - Beautiful flys and pipes

Fred - you get a pass for now due to all your stuff is in a box and a couple of state lines away. I am going to look up the flys you mentioned. I have a ton of projects for the weekend, but I promised myself I would make time to get a couple of "Stripped Gear's" wet flys tied...I'll post when I get some wrapped up.
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

User avatar
Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores
Posts: 11045
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: central IL

Re: The Fly Tying Thread

Post by Gabriel » Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:36 pm

Everyone is gone to church tonight so it’s time for Leo Kotke, tobacco, bourbon, and some time at the desk.

Hare’s Ear Flashback
Image


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sola Deo Gloria

User avatar
durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Posts: 4367
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:58 pm
Location: Southwest Colorado

Re: The Fly Tying Thread

Post by durangopipe » Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:05 pm

Gabriel wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:36 pm
Everyone is gone to church tonight so it’s time for Leo Kotke, tobacco, bourbon, and some time at the desk.

Hare’s Ear Flashback
Image


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Beauteous!
And deadly.
The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.

J.R.R. Tolkien



Wherever we go in the world we find other men speaking the same language...dreaming the same dreams. And one of the big four - brownie, or brookie, cutthroat or rainbow - is the cause of it all.

Roderick Haig-Brown

User avatar
FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.
Really, really likes watching kids fish.
Posts: 19332
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: NoCo (Northern Colorado)

Re: The Fly Tying Thread

Post by FredS » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:49 am

durangopipe wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:05 pm
Gabriel wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:36 pm
Everyone is gone to church tonight so it’s time for Leo Kotke, tobacco, bourbon, and some time at the desk.

Hare’s Ear Flashback
Image


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Beauteous!
And deadly.
Nice. The proportions are just right.

I've caught more fish and more kinds of fish on a GRHE than any other fly. I carry a bunch of them, with and without bead heads.

Have you gone 'old school' and bought a hares mask yet. We all took up fly fishing for it's (apparent) simplicity, and there's nothing simpler than sitting down to tie a fly with a spool of thread, a hares mask, a pheasant tail, and some copper wire scavenged from a lamp cord.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

User avatar
JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Posts: 19959
Joined: Sun May 18, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.
Contact:

Re: The Fly Tying Thread

Post by JimVH » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:55 pm

I haven't touched my fly tying stuff in several weeks. Tonight, I came home to find it all packed away with a Christmas tree in its place.

I've never wanted to tie something more.
"When God closes a door, just open it again. It's a door. That's how they work." FredS
Image

User avatar
Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed
Posts: 5909
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: Rocky Mountains / Colorado
Contact:

Re: The Fly Tying Thread

Post by Bloodhound » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:45 am

I have sort of the same issue. My fly tying stuff is in a corner of the basement. I got home last night to find it completely blocked off by totes, my wife unpacked Christmas stuff and packed the regular stuff in the Christmas totes and stacked them, blocking my tying station. My wife told me it was too cold to fish so she didn't think I would need to make any flys.
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

User avatar
FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.
Really, really likes watching kids fish.
Posts: 19332
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: NoCo (Northern Colorado)

Re: The Fly Tying Thread

Post by FredS » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:36 am

You married guys crack me up.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

User avatar
Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed
Posts: 5909
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: Rocky Mountains / Colorado
Contact:

Re: The Fly Tying Thread

Post by Bloodhound » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:14 am

FredS wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:36 am
You married guys crack me up.
Did you get your tying gear unpacked yet?
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

User avatar
FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.
Really, really likes watching kids fish.
Posts: 19332
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: NoCo (Northern Colorado)

Re: The Fly Tying Thread

Post by FredS » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:57 pm

Bloodhound wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:14 am
FredS wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:36 am
You married guys crack me up.
Did you get your tying gear unpacked yet?
Indeed. Just got it all put back together last night. And you can bet your you-know-what that Mrs FredS hasn't touched a thing.
Because I just got it set up last night.
Image

And, for the record, I rock.
Image
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

User avatar
Dlibbon
Elder
Elder
Posts: 722
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2004 6:00 pm
Location: Charleston SC
Contact:

Re: The Fly Tying Thread

Post by Dlibbon » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:49 am

I don’t know if you have a harbor freight store around you but if you do they are giving away these magnetic parts holders until January 31 with any purchase. Works great for hooks and other small metal beads. Image


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User avatar
Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed
Posts: 5909
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: Rocky Mountains / Colorado
Contact:

Re: The Fly Tying Thread

Post by Bloodhound » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:06 am

Its not all in place yet. DP confirmed that there must be a picture/drawing/artwork depicting a fish, to be hung in the near vicinity of a fly tying station. :)

Glad to see you are getting settled
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

User avatar
durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Posts: 4367
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:58 pm
Location: Southwest Colorado

Re: The Fly Tying Thread

Post by durangopipe » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:40 am

Bloodhound wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:06 am
Its not all in place yet. DP confirmed that there must be a picture/drawing/artwork depicting a fish, to be hung in the near vicinity of a fly tying station. :)

Glad to see you are getting settled
Yup.
Absolutely.

We are not barbarians!

Agree - good to see the fly tying desk setup, Fred.
The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.

J.R.R. Tolkien



Wherever we go in the world we find other men speaking the same language...dreaming the same dreams. And one of the big four - brownie, or brookie, cutthroat or rainbow - is the cause of it all.

Roderick Haig-Brown

User avatar
FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.
Really, really likes watching kids fish.
Posts: 19332
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: NoCo (Northern Colorado)

Re: The Fly Tying Thread

Post by FredS » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:12 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:40 am
Bloodhound wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:06 am
Its not all in place yet. DP confirmed that there must be a picture/drawing/artwork depicting a fish, to be hung in the near vicinity of a fly tying station. :)

Glad to see you are getting settled
Yup.
Absolutely.

We are not barbarians!

Agree - good to see the fly tying desk setup, Fred.
Did you miss the picture hanging from the orange crate (used for hook storage)? The one with the smiling fish jumping out of the water. I even posted a close up. One of my grand kids drew it. But I understand, and I do have more art to put out, I just haven't found that box yet.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

User avatar
Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed
Posts: 5909
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: Rocky Mountains / Colorado
Contact:

Re: The Fly Tying Thread

Post by Bloodhound » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:21 pm

FredS wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:12 pm
durangopipe wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:40 am
Bloodhound wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:06 am
Its not all in place yet. DP confirmed that there must be a picture/drawing/artwork depicting a fish, to be hung in the near vicinity of a fly tying station. :)

Glad to see you are getting settled
Yup.
Absolutely.

We are not barbarians!

Agree - good to see the fly tying desk setup, Fred.
Did you miss the picture hanging from the orange crate (used for hook storage)? The one with the smiling fish jumping out of the water. I even posted a close up. One of my grand kids drew it. But I understand, and I do have more art to put out, I just haven't found that box yet.
By golly there are fish there...I stand corrected...I had focused on the print rather than the artwork as I viewed it on my phone. Artwork is even better when the artist is a grandchild! Double points
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

User avatar
Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed
Posts: 5909
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: Rocky Mountains / Colorado
Contact:

Re: The Fly Tying Thread

Post by Bloodhound » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:23 pm

Dlibbon wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:49 am
I don’t know if you have a harbor freight store around you but if you do they are giving away these magnetic parts holders until January 31 with any purchase. Works great for hooks and other small metal beads. Image


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you for the heads up
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

Post Reply