The Fly Tying Thread

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Dlibbon
Elder
Elder

Re: The Fly Tying Thread

Post by Dlibbon » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:48 am

JudgeRusty wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:12 pm
Clouser vs Kreelex

Please discuss.
I'm strong on the side of Clouser (or at least I was until 2 months ago) I love the way Clouser's fish, they're fairly simple to tie, and Bob Clouser is from about an hour outside of where I grew up. That said I was on a trip last Fall in on an NC Trout stream with my leader tangled in a tree when I noticed in that same tree hung up a flashy fly tied exclusively out of artificial plastics. It looked like it fell off my Christmas tree after the great tinsel debacle of `09. Being the good guy that I am when people are watching I plucked it out. The hook was sharp and it didn't seem to have to much wear on it so I tossed it in my box.

Flash (no pun intended) forward 2 months ago. I was fishing for bluegill on a neighborhood pond when I hung my fly on some brush underwater. Having to break it off I realized my fly box was at the house. At the bottom of my bag was this Kreelex I found in NC. Because I'm lazy and didn't want to walk back I tied it on and 5 casts later caught the largest Large Mouth Bass I ever reeled in. 20" Hog on a 5 weight rod. Went home and tied several Kreelex after that.

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by durangopipe » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:52 am

No experience with the Kreelex.
Closest thing to that I've ever tied and fished is a Copper Top Steelhead fly.

My trout flies tend to be pretty drab.
The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.

J.R.R. Tolkien

Wherever we go in the world we find other men speaking the same language...dreaming the same dreams. And one of the big four - brownie, or brookie, cutthroat or rainbow - is the cause of it all.

Roderick Haig-Brown

FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.

Post by FredS » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:21 pm

Once the Judge gets a little more experience, he'll realize there's no need to choose between a clouser and all it's variants and a kreelex and a bahama mama and a crappie candy. Tie them all! A dozen of each fly in each color combination should do to start.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

JudgeRusty
Didn't even get to wear his hat

Post by JudgeRusty » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:04 pm

FredS is so smart.

Well, I was going to tie a bunch and fish tomorrow, even though there has been no stocking recently and I was not going to drive the distance to one of the prime mountain streams. On top of that, when I got to the Orvis store to get some instructions and materials, the fishing manager had the day off.

Change of plans. I would get just enough supplies to tie some San Juan Worms (because I can figure that pattern out) and still go fishing tomorrow.

When I returned home, I checked the schedule and, as luck would have it, they stocked the Roanoke River within the city boundaries today.

So, armed with a fisherman's baseless optimism, some egg patterns, some PTNs, and some San Juan Worms, I will wedge my overgrown shoulders between the spin fishermen tomorrow morning at first light and cloud the air with pipe smoke and inconsistent casting loops.
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:48 pm

JudgeRusty wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:04 pm
FredS is so smart.

Well, I was going to tie a bunch and fish tomorrow, even though there has been no stocking recently and I was not going to drive the distance to one of the prime mountain streams. On top of that, when I got to the Orvis store to get some instructions and materials, the fishing manager had the day off.

Change of plans. I would get just enough supplies to tie some San Juan Worms (because I can figure that pattern out) and still go fishing tomorrow.

When I returned home, I checked the schedule and, as luck would have it, they stocked the Roanoke River within the city boundaries today.

So, armed with a fisherman's baseless optimism, some egg patterns, some PTNs, and some San Juan Worms, I will wedge my overgrown shoulders between the spin fishermen tomorrow morning at first light and cloud the air with pipe smoke and inconsistent casting loops.
Sometimes a fly is so easy to tie you almost feel guilty calling it a fly!
The San Juan Worm is like that, but the darn thing catches fish. Guilt gone.

Good luck tomorrow!
The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.

J.R.R. Tolkien

Wherever we go in the world we find other men speaking the same language...dreaming the same dreams. And one of the big four - brownie, or brookie, cutthroat or rainbow - is the cause of it all.

Roderick Haig-Brown

Dlibbon
Elder
Elder

Post by Dlibbon » Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:11 am

JudgeRusty wrote:FredS is so smart.

Good luck out there Judge!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JudgeRusty

Post by JudgeRusty » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:25 am

Got a leaper on a wine colored San Juan Worm just at sunrise; he thought it was a Sea World Dolphin Show audition. 4 more hours produced no more fish.
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:45 am

Shame on you!
That's not a fly.

Wait, I've probably done that a helluva lot more than you have.

Shame on me!

J.R.R. Tolkien

Roderick Haig-Brown

FredS

Post by FredS » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:16 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:45 am
Shame on you!
That's not a fly.

Shame on me!
Is the San Juan Shuffle your favorite dance move?
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:47 pm

FredS wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:16 pm
durangopipe wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:45 am
Shame on you!
That's not a fly.

Shame on me!
Is the San Juan Shuffle your favorite dance move?
:rotfl:

Gave it up for Lent.

I do crack up when I see people trying sneaky ways to get away with it.
One guide I didn't think much of used to put his clients in a run, then stand in the water upstream from them and act like he was just "watching," but he'd be leaning on his boat net and wiggling it in the river bottom.

His clients never knew and they figured he was one helluva guide.
You can sure boat a lot of Trout with a shuffle and a San Juan Worm if you ain't got no scruples.

J.R.R. Tolkien

Roderick Haig-Brown

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:46 pm

Getting back to streamers after my last several failures. This one is still too long, but I'm happy with it otherwise. Spring is coming...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sola Deo Gloria

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:11 pm

Looks mighty good to me!

J.R.R. Tolkien

Roderick Haig-Brown

FredS

Post by FredS » Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:01 pm

Sneaked out of the office for a while this afternoon to tie some sparkly crappie/panfish flies. Simply a marabou tail with ice dub in a dubbing loop.

Crappie Box 1 (mostly minnow patterns)

Crappie Box 2 (Box-O-Bling)
About half of these flies are actually bonefish patterns but sometimes warm water fishes like fancy deserts.

EDIT: That bare row in the Box-O-Bling is unacceptable. Needs to be filled up. Hmmm, what will I do? What will I do?

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:32 pm

Great looking flies, Fred!
Your attitude toward empty rows in fly boxes is the same as mine.

J.R.R. Tolkien

Roderick Haig-Brown

FredS

Post by FredS » Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:10 pm

I used most of my free time last winter making pipes and messing around with other hobbies. Now the trees are budding and the daffodils are up so it's time to put away those childish things and prepare to fish. Organize the fly boxes. Tie new flies to fill in the spaces left from last year. Try to remember which flies worked best last year - the ones I used up or shared that left the empty spaces (maybe I'll finally start a journal this year). I have a sweet Redington lightweight reel a buddy swapped me (thanks Steve) that needs to be paired up with a Fenwick glass rod I bought at a second hand shop over the winter. Clean all the other rods and reels pilled up in the corner. Check the nets. Check the zingers. Empty out all the packs so things can be better organized based on last years experiences. Find all the nippers that somehow ended up in the bottom of a single bag and redistribute them so there's a pair in each pack. All my fishing shirts somehow shrank over the winter so I'll need to hit the local big box sporting goods store for some more.

As much as I enjoy fall and winter, I'm so ready for spring this year.

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:43 pm

FredS wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:10 pm
I used most of my free time last winter making pipes and messing around with other hobbies. Now the trees are budding and the daffodils are up so it's time to put away those childish things and prepare to fish. Organize the fly boxes. Tie new flies to fill in the spaces left from last year. Try to remember which flies worked best last year - the ones I used up or shared that left the empty spaces (maybe I'll finally start a journal this year). I have a sweet Redington lightweight reel a buddy swapped me (thanks Steve) that needs to be paired up with a Fenwick glass rod I bought at a second hand shop over the winter. Clean all the other rods and reels pilled up in the corner. Check the nets. Check the zingers. Empty out all the packs so things can be better organized based on last years experiences. Find all the nippers that somehow ended up in the bottom of a single bag and redistribute them so there's a pair in each pack. All my fishing shirts somehow shrank over the winter so I'll need to hit the local big box sporting goods store for some more.

As much as I enjoy fall and winter, I'm so ready for spring this year.
I hear you!

Yesterday, a buddy came over so we could do some casting at the "Turtle Lake Casting Club" (the mowed part of the field in front of our house). He had a new 10 wt. he's taking permit fishing next week. I didn't have enough wrist strength to control the tip when I tried to cast past about 75'. I'm squeezing a tennis ball!

J.R.R. Tolkien

Roderick Haig-Brown

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:55 am

Looking great Fred. As much fun as it is to tie trout flies, when I want to be sure and catch fish, I use some kind of minnow pattern...
Sola Deo Gloria

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:11 am

Gabriel wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:55 am
Looking great Fred. As much fun as it is to tie trout flies, when I want to be sure and catch fish, I use some kind of minnow pattern...
Ah . . .

I'm eager to hear about (or even better, be with you) when you first encounter spring creek or tailwater Trout during a big hatch, of, say PMDs when some fish will only take cripples in the film and others won't even look at a fly unless it's a dun, fully floating but with one wing not yet quite inflated. Or a prolific midge hatch when a switch from a #24 to #28 makes the difference between utter trout indifference to the glee of take after take.

Back me up, Fred.
Until you've been there, it sounds like utter fiction.

Once you have, you want more!
REALLY hoping to be able to fish this season.

J.R.R. Tolkien

Roderick Haig-Brown

JudgeRusty

Post by JudgeRusty » Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:07 pm

I went this morning to a new (to me) spot where the water was low and the few fish there were visible in the few pools. These stockers had been heavily pressured the past couple of days, so these fish had not been caught for some reason or another.

It's good to fish where you know fish are, but sometimes much more competitive/frustrating when you can see them. It is hard to leave them in the pool when you do not have a limit.

I went through almost my whole fly box. The fish were mostly indifferent to most patterns. Some they would investigate but not take. I began at sunrise. Sometime after 10am, I got my first strike (and miss) on an 18 BH-PTN. Not long after that, the first fish. Then nothing for 30-45 minutes in the same pool. After trying a few other patterns, I tried a 14 PTN and caught two more before noon. (I will post pics in the Fishing thread soon).

As the fish got interested in the smaller stuff, I thought about the young fishing manager at Orvis telling me that he always keeps a purple with fluff midge pattern in a 24 size in his "never leave home without it" box of 5-6 patterns.

FredS

Post by FredS » Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:47 pm

Way to go Judge! Sounds like you learned a lot fishing to fish you knew were there instead of just working the water blindly. When you can see them it helps tremendously. First you see what depth they're at which is a lesson all it's own. Then, when you get your fly at the correct depth you can see what interests them. What makes them move. Then you can work through likely patterns in both big and small sizes until you get them to actually take. It looks like you were able to tune in to what they wanted, where they wanted it.

You're experience matches up to what DP wrote in reply to Gabriels post. Trout can be pretty dang picky about what they eat. Not always, but sometimes. I fish a few small fairly fast streams in WY where it seems the brookies will eat anything that's properly presented to them. The trick is to work each side of every rock. One bigger water with bigger fish that have a few more seconds to look at your fly, you have to toss exactly the right fly in the right size.

It's really two different games, this warm water fishing and cold water fishing. Add in the difference between still water, slow moving water, and fast moving water and you get a whole 'nother set of games. The very best days, on cold or warm water, moving or still, are days like the Judge had, when you work through what you know about the fish, and learn a new trick or two to file away for next time. Days like that never get old.