The Fly Tying Thread

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Re: The Fly Tying Thread

Post by durangopipe » Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:02 pm

Now, think about a few weeks ago when you were wondering if this fly fishing business was all it was cracked up to be. After reading today's post I know you've learned the answer. For yourself. Through experience. Nobody telling you.

But the fish.

It's over, Your Honor.
You'll never ask that question again.
The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.

J.R.R. Tolkien

Wherever we go in the world we find other men speaking the same language...dreaming the same dreams. And one of the big four - brownie, or brookie, cutthroat or rainbow - is the cause of it all.

Roderick Haig-Brown

JudgeRusty
Didn't even get to wear his hat
Didn't even get to wear his hat

Post by JudgeRusty » Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:30 pm

I am sorry, but I didn't leave the stream thinking I had solved anything.
All in all, the fish won; I caught less than I intended.

I learned that I need dozens more patterns in my box in all available sizes. I suppose I will need to learn to cast from a pack mule to carry all the supplies I will need. I learned that I need to be able to tie on a different fly quicker. I learned that I need polarized bi-focals so that I don't have to change glasses to change flies. I learned that changing flies often eats up your tippet and so I will have to learn to tie on tippet quicker.

I assume you know I say all this at least partially tongue in cheek.

I definitely have reached that portion of the learning curve where I know enough to know I do not know anything. That is usually where you can begin to find things out.

Thank you for the attention, assistance and the encouragement. I will be seeking it often.
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal

FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.

Post by FredS » Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:25 pm

There's an interesting article on Bart Lombardo's Panfish On The Fly blog about fishing the overlapping zone of bass and panfish. He shows a couple of interesting flies, and links to another article on Skip Morris's site about the same. Check it out.

If you click on through to Lombardo's latest blog post you'll find an article about the soft hackle flies that Gabriel is so smitten with lately.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:57 am

FredS wrote:
Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:25 pm
There's an interesting article on Bart Lombardo's Panfish On The Fly blog about fishing the overlapping zone of bass and panfish. He shows a couple of interesting flies, and links to another article on Skip Morris's site about the same. Check it out.

If you click on through to Lombardo's latest blog post you'll find an article about the soft hackle flies that Gabriel is so smitten with lately.
That whole bluegill/bass/crappie overlap describes the vast majority of my fishing. Will be reading more of this later, thanks Fred.
Sola Deo Gloria

FredS

Post by FredS » Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:33 pm

The SMP fly shown on those sites in the 'sunburst' color reminds me a a steelhead fly named the Skykomish Sunrise that I really like for summertime crappie. I bought a couple at my local fly shop because the red/yellow color combo matched the colors of the KC Chiefs. When I found out how effective it was I went back and bought all of them in the shop. Why was a shop in KC selling steelhead flies? Seems he'd bought the inventory of a shop in the NW and these flies came in the deal.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:55 am

Off to Santa Rita Park for the Duranglers Fly Fishing Extravaganza with Mrs.DP.
A little chilly with off and on snow showers.
Lots of old friends and new rods to see.

We'll also see if we can still hang with the young guns on the casting lawn . . .
(More importantly, whether we can resist the shiny new models.)

If I see anything special I'll report back.
The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.

J.R.R. Tolkien

Wherever we go in the world we find other men speaking the same language...dreaming the same dreams. And one of the big four - brownie, or brookie, cutthroat or rainbow - is the cause of it all.

Roderick Haig-Brown

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:00 pm

It's been a super fun mail day, not only did I receive a gift of tobacco, but my daughter and I received this:

A little of this, a little of that. Grand fun, seriously. Thanks Bloodhound!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sola Deo Gloria

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:24 pm

Gabriel wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:00 pm
It's been a super fun mail day, not only did I receive a gift of tobacco, but my daughter and I received this:

A little of this, a little of that. Grand fun, seriously. Thanks Bloodhound!

Super fun, I'll say!

We had fun, too. Debbie knows all the guides and the shop owners very well--30 years now for her, longer for me. We're like family. Gave a few casting lessons, think I sold a few rods (that'll happen back at the shop), saw a lot of old friends and cast some rods I wanted to get to know better.

Really liked the 7' 3wt. Redington Butterstick and the 8 1/2' 4wt. Sage Mod. Neither is a new model, and I certainly don't need either, but I enjoyed casting them and wouldn't hesitate to recommend them.

The Sage One is a great Big Stick rod for distance casting and wind. I cast their new 8' 2" 3wt. "Little One." Don't understand why anyone would build or buy a 3wt. with an action designed for extreme line speed and distance casting??

But then, I'm an old fart.

Good news: Won't be ordering any new rods on my pro-forms this year. That will make Mrs. DP happy.

Eager for Bloodhound's fishing report!

J.R.R. Tolkien

Roderick Haig-Brown

Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed

Post by Bloodhound » Sat Apr 01, 2017 6:21 pm

...and tobacco too...Sweet
Last edited by Bloodhound on Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD ...

mustangii
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by mustangii » Sat Apr 01, 2017 6:45 pm

So anyone want a fly tying vice? My wife found it and thought I would be interested, nope. I have a rod, but have whipped every fly off the end of the leader.
edm
In the begining was the Word, and the Word was with God, and The Word was God. John 1:1
ASE Master Certified Tech
Chrysler Master Certified Tech

Bloodhound

Post by Bloodhound » Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:53 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:24 pm

We had fun, too. Debbie knows all the guides and the shop owners very well--30 years now for her, longer for me. We're like family. Gave a few casting lessons, think I sold a few rods (that'll happen back at the shop), saw a lot of old friends and cast some rods I wanted to get to know better.

Really liked the 7' 3wt. Redington Butterstick and the 8 1/2' 4wt. Sage Mod. Neither is a new model, and I certainly don't need either, but I enjoyed casting them and wouldn't hesitate to recommend them.

The Sage One is a great Big Stick rod for distance casting and wind. I cast their new 8' 2" 3wt. "Little One." Don't understand why anyone would build or buy a 3wt. with an action designed for extreme line speed and distance casting??

But then, I'm an old fart.

Good news: Won't be ordering any new rods on my pro-forms this year. That will make Mrs. DP happy.

Eager for Bloodhound's fishing report!
DP...Sounds like a good day...one of these days I want to make it over for the casting days.
Scott ( aka - Thor )

FredS

Post by FredS » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:34 pm

The Royal Wulff is one of the most classic flies there is and it's a wonderful 'searching' fly when you want to use a dry fly but don't know which one to use. And it's easy for old eyes to see when tied in sizes 12-14. Here's a fantastic new technique that makes it easier to get the proportions correct and it's less fussy to tie.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzfim-milIU

Bloodhound

Post by Bloodhound » Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:53 am

FredS wrote:
Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:34 pm
The Royal Wulff is one of the most classic flies there is and it's a wonderful 'searching' fly when you want to use a dry fly but don't know which one to use. And it's easy for old eyes to see when tied in sizes 12-14. Here's a fantastic new technique that makes it easier to get the proportions correct and it's less fussy to tie.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzfim-milIU
I tried it last night and the only thing I got was a hook embedded in the side of my palm...I watched the video a bunch of times...I think I'm doing it wrong :?
Scott ( aka - Thor )

Dlibbon
Elder
Elder

Post by Dlibbon » Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:11 pm

Tied a few size 20's -22's last night. Still can't get the stretch tubing to lay like I want it.

Bloodhound

Post by Bloodhound » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:23 pm

I have been trying to tie some soft hackle wet flys, haven't got the hackle to lay right on the hook so still working on it...before I move on to Zebra Midge and Griffith's Gnat...But my wife surprised me with a 2 day trip to some private water on the Taylor River...we are taking the grand daughters and the resort has horses and trout pond for the girls, a spa for my wife and a mile of private water on the Taylor...SO I just ordered 3 dozen flys from the fly guys...I know I could try to get them tied up...but work is crazy, Spring projects at the house...so I am hedging my bets...I'll keep tying and try to get some done...but this will take the pressure off.
Scott ( aka - Thor )

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:28 pm

Bloodhound wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:23 pm
I have been trying to tie some soft hackle wet flys, haven't got the hackle to lay right on the hook so still working on it...before I move on to Zebra Midge and Griffith's Gnat...But my wife surprised me with a 2 day trip to some private water on the Taylor River...we are taking the grand daughters and the resort has horses and trout pond for the girls, a spa for my wife and a mile of private water on the Taylor...SO I just ordered 3 dozen flys from the fly guys...I know I could try to get them tied up...but work is crazy, Spring projects at the house...so I am hedging my bets...I'll keep tying and try to get some done...but this will take the pressure off.

BIG trout on the Taylor!
Wear Depends. I swear, the first time you land one you'll poop your pants.

Have fun!
I'm jealous.

J.R.R. Tolkien

Roderick Haig-Brown

Bloodhound

Post by Bloodhound » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:42 pm

I am really excited...we made the reservation this weekend...big fish...pretty excited the trip will be 3rd week in June...

At the rate I feed flys to the willows and other stream side vegetation...I may go through as many as 6 or 7 dozen... :lol: :?
Scott ( aka - Thor )

FredS

Post by FredS » Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:13 pm

Well alright!

I don't think that excitement about a trip and worry about having enough of the right flies ever goes away. I can have 20 fly boxes full of flies, but as soon as a new trip is planned I do a little research and find a whole 'nother group of flies the local experts say I need. Then it's a mad dash to tie them in sufficient quantities that I can cover any contingency. Between long days at work trying to get ahead so I'm not behind when I return (does that make sense?) and late nights tying flies I can get myself pretty worked up. But then, that just makes time on/in the water that much better when I finally get there.

Bloodhound

Post by Bloodhound » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:34 am

So...Durango Pipe suggested several flys for me to tie for the upcoming trip, and the WD40 looked like the best place to start. I was sure I didn't have any duck flank feathers, so I stopped into my local fly shop thinking I should throw some money their direction...the didn't have hardly anything...lots of synthetics, but natural materials....not so much...I asked the guy and he told me there is a real shortage of naturals right now...I haven't checked other shops, but he was down to one hares mask and limited hair and feathers...even low on Whiting's Farm.

Well I have ben grabbing up odds and ends and grab boxes from garage sales and e-bay and such and have just been putting it in containers, without really sorting it...I need to be more organized...anyway when I got home last night, I pulled it all out and went through it...I found a well stuffed bag of Mallard flank feathers.

I tied up a dozen WD40 flys.
I thought this looked OK till I took the close-up picture...now I see that the tail is too long and there is a little too much dubbing and I didn't use enough feather fibers and the wing case is too small. Feel free to point out any other issues you see.

I will address thos issues tonight...but its a start on a now pattern. I'll tie some more and then maybe this weekend while we are supposed to have storms, I can organize what I have.
Scott ( aka - Thor )

Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado

Post by Thunktank » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:46 am

Bloodhound wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:34 am
So...Durango Pipe suggested several flys for me to tie for the upcoming trip, and the WD40 looked like the best place to start. I was sure I didn't have any duck flank feathers, so I stopped into my local fly shop thinking I should throw some money their direction...the didn't have hardly anything...lots of synthetics, but natural materials....not so much...I asked the guy and he told me there is a real shortage of naturals right now...I haven't checked other shops, but he was down to one hares mask and limited hair and feathers...even low on Whiting's Farm.

Well I have ben grabbing up odds and ends and grab boxes from garage sales and e-bay and such and have just been putting it in containers, without really sorting it...I need to be more organized...anyway when I got home last night, I pulled it all out and went through it...I found a well stuffed bag of Mallard flank feathers.

I tied up a dozen WD40 flys.
I thought this looked OK till I took the close-up picture...now I see that the tail is too long and there is a little too much dubbing and I didn't use enough feather fibers and the wing case is too small. Feel free to point out any other issues you see.

I will address thos issues tonight...but its a start on a now pattern. I'll tie some more and then maybe this weekend while we are supposed to have storms, I can organize what I have.
You all are entirely too critical of yourselves me thinks. Of course I know next to nothing about tying bugs. Just so that you know, they all look like fly fishing flies to me! Good job! :thumbsup: