The Fly Tying Thread

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Re: The Fly Tying Thread

Post by durangopipe » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:01 am

It'll fish.
Keep tyin'!

WooHoo!
The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.

J.R.R. Tolkien

Wherever we go in the world we find other men speaking the same language...dreaming the same dreams. And one of the big four - brownie, or brookie, cutthroat or rainbow - is the cause of it all.

Roderick Haig-Brown

FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.

Post by FredS » Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:08 pm

Looks fine to me. The 'flaws' you listed are easy enough to fix on the next fly. You'll get better with every one you tie. I've mentioned before that I find more problems with my work when I look at photographs of it. I suspect it's because we're used to looking at others work in photographs so it's easy for our mental comparator to spot differences.

BTW - I really like the WD40 in gray and olive. Besides a simple zebra midge, the WD40 is (for me anyway) the easiest fly to tie in super small sizes.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed

Post by Bloodhound » Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:41 pm

Its raining here...so tying shall commence after dinner :)
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD ...

FredS

Post by FredS » Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:05 pm

Meh. The two best times to fish are when it's raining and when it's not.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Bloodhound

Post by Bloodhound » Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:15 pm

FredS wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:05 pm
Meh. The two best times to fish are when it's raining and when it's not.
:lol: I like the way you think
Scott ( aka - Thor )

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:33 am

I had checked out a couple fly tying books from the library a couple weeks ago and hadn't had a chance to do any fly tying recently. I finally sat down for a while last night to try my hand at some terrestrials... I uh... have a long way to go. I tried spinning some deer hair and such, they look terrible and are actually unusable on account of the eye of the hook is completely buried. :) Ah well.

I was cutting some of the bucktail hair from the middle of the tail to use, it was so-so. I did try with elk, and that was a bit better, but mostly I just need practice. I also took the hard way and just looked at pictures of the finished product in the books, rather than look up some videos.

Still good fun, for the most part. Just no nice finished products.
Sola Deo Gloria

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:59 am

Gabriel wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:33 am
I had checked out a couple fly tying books from the library a couple weeks ago and hadn't had a chance to do any fly tying recently. I finally sat down for a while last night to try my hand at some terrestrials... I uh... have a long way to go. I tried spinning some deer hair and such, they look terrible and are actually unusable on account of the eye of the hook is completely buried. :) Ah well.

I was cutting some of the bucktail hair from the middle of the tail to use, it was so-so. I did try with elk, and that was a bit better, but mostly I just need practice. I also took the hard way and just looked at pictures of the finished product in the books, rather than look up some videos.

Big, fat, thick, hollow body hair!
Yes, it takes practice.

A couple of tips you may already know:

Spin on a bare hook--no thread underwrap. It spins better.
Use strong thread!
Pack the spun hair tightly--use more spun bunches than you thought you needed, and really jam 'em together.
Sharp scissors!
For square edged shapes you may find a dense pack of hair cuts more cleanly with a single-edge razor blade.

It's the messiest kind of tying there is, but gets to be kinda fun after awhile.
The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.

J.R.R. Tolkien

Wherever we go in the world we find other men speaking the same language...dreaming the same dreams. And one of the big four - brownie, or brookie, cutthroat or rainbow - is the cause of it all.

Roderick Haig-Brown

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:11 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:59 am
Gabriel wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:33 am

Big, fat, thick, hollow body hair!
Yes, it takes practice.

A couple of tips you may already know:

Spin on a bare hook--no thread underwrap. It spins better.
Use strong thread!
Pack the spun hair tightly--use more spun bunches than you thought you needed, and really jam 'em together.
Sharp scissors!
For square edged shapes you may find a dense pack of hair cuts more cleanly with a single-edge razor blade.

It's the messiest kind of tying there is, but gets to be kinda fun after awhile.
Yeah, I violated every one of those... except the scissors, my scissors are still pretty decent.
Sola Deo Gloria

Bloodhound

Post by Bloodhound » Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:23 pm

I see some of the deer hair bugs and poppers that guys are tying...its amazing...crazy cool.
Scott ( aka - Thor )

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:09 pm

Bloodhound wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:23 pm
I see some of the deer hair bugs and poppers that guys are tying...its amazing...crazy cool.
Muddlers are a great place to start, no matter what happens to the trimmed deer hair they work fine. As your spun heads get denser and more compact, you can go for the poppers with mono hook guards--great for fishing around lilly pads and vegetation.

By alternating colors of dyed deer hair you can create stripes, etc.

I used to tie a steelhead fly called the "Babine B**ch" that may have been a John Flick creation--he's the one who first showed it to me. It was a messy marabou muddler style steelhead fly. In black and blue it was a great fly for the Babine. I also tied it in red and black, orange and black and purple and black. After a tying session the desk and floor (and I) were covered with little snips of deer hair. If my wife opened the door to my office a rainbow of marabou would rise.

My grading will be done shortly. I'll try to get a photo of some posted. I think I have a box of them somewhere!

One thing I've noticed over the years is that shop flies and flies tied by well-known flytiers tend to be a lot neater than the flies typically tied by guides. Guides tend to tie fast, and somewhat ratty. Don't worry if your flies look less perfect than the ones in the fly catalogues. As an art form, perfect flies are to be admired, but for catching fish a ratty looking fly is often better.

J.R.R. Tolkien

Roderick Haig-Brown

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:15 pm

I used a longer hook tonight and had slightly better results. Also slowed down, watched a video and... its slightly better. I'm trying a lot of new to techniques on this one pattern so I'm trying not to get frustrated. Here's tonight's creation:

A Dave's Hopper. More or less. I don't have any deer belly hair, this was from the base of the tail judgerusty sent me last year. Pheasant tail legs and turkey quill feather wing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sola Deo Gloria

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:33 pm

Gabriel wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:15 pm
I used a longer hook tonight and had slightly better results. Also slowed down, watched a video and... its slightly better. I'm trying a lot of new to techniques on this one pattern so I'm trying not to get frustrated. Here's tonight's creation:

A Dave's Hopper. More or less. I don't have any deer belly hair, this was from the base of the tail judgerusty sent me last year. Pheasant tail legs and turkey quill feather wing.

Spectacular!

J.R.R. Tolkien

Roderick Haig-Brown

FredS

Post by FredS » Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:45 am

Wow. That's a complicated bug. The fish are going to be all over that big ol' juicy hopper come July.

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:15 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:33 pm
Gabriel wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:15 pm

Spectacular!
Ah, durangopipe, I have always appreciated your support, help, and encouragement. But there's no reason to pretend this is spectacular ;). It's my second attempt at legs, spinning hair, and the yarn body. It looks almost serviceable. :D

My arthritis is killing me today today. If I am able, I'm hoping to get in some more practice today or tomorrow. I'm enjoying the challenge.
Sola Deo Gloria

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:16 pm

FredS wrote:
Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:45 am
Wow. That's a complicated bug. The fish are going to be all over that big ol' juicy hopper come July.
Certainly the most complicated I've tried. I'm hoping to get some nice warm summer evening bass on some hoppers if I can.
Sola Deo Gloria

Bloodhound

Post by Bloodhound » Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:29 pm

Looks good Gabe. It snowed 5 inches here...I am tying wd 40s and a few wet flys
Scott ( aka - Thor )

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:27 pm

Slow progression. My first three attempts go from disaster to serviceable. Hoping for actually great at some point. :)

Sola Deo Gloria

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:30 pm

They will all catch fish.

J.R.R. Tolkien

Roderick Haig-Brown

FredS

Post by FredS » Wed May 10, 2017 4:46 pm

Good news: The CO fishing trip with my brothers is on.
Bad news: It's pushed back to September.
Good news: They want to fly fish.
Bad news: They're not fishermen and they want me to teach them.
Good news: Now I have plenty of time to tie flies for the river.
Bad news: I have to tie three times as many as I'd planned.

Starting with something easy. WD40's.

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Wed May 10, 2017 6:57 pm

Hoppers look great to me, Gabriel.
Looks like you've got your WD40 groove on, Fred.

J.R.R. Tolkien

Roderick Haig-Brown