So... Do we have any Flat Earthers here?

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Re: So... Do we have any Flat Earthers here?

Post by hugodrax » Mon Feb 01, 2016 4:27 pm

UncleBob wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
Thunktank wrote:
UncleBob wrote:
Onyx wrote:
tuttle wrote:
Onyx wrote:Seems like I keep hearing about this. I'm guessing it's about 23% on CPS.
Coming to this thread hot off the heels of your ribbing reminiscing about my "flat-earth" theories...I'm curious if you are using the term 'flat earth' quite literally or are you indicating more or less alternative views upon certain scientific claims? I don't believe the earth is flat but I do hold to some alternative views upon certain scientific claims (which is what I assumed you were generalizing in that thread...)
Ha. Yeah, that's another thing. Young Earth, Flat Earth. Same wrong. Flat Earth is just a small enough minority to be cute. I have sympathy, but wrong is wrong.
I am tempted to join just for the membership card and the newsletter.
Do they have an ordination program?[/quote?]

No, but they do really prefer that their members genuinely enjoy annoying others. I'm in if you are.
LOL! Would CPS be able to survive it?
Eh, they haven't killed any of us yet. I would love to have the promotional literature to hand out to the Mormons and Jehovahs Witnesses that knock on my door.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

Onyx
Darth Onyx, Bringer of Unity

Post by Onyx » Mon Feb 01, 2016 4:30 pm

UncleBob wrote:
Onyx wrote:
tuttle wrote:
Onyx wrote:
tuttle wrote:
Onyx wrote:Seems like I keep hearing about this. I'm guessing it's about 23% on CPS.
Coming to this thread hot off the heels of your ribbing reminiscing about my "flat-earth" theories...I'm curious if you are using the term 'flat earth' quite literally or are you indicating more or less alternative views upon certain scientific claims? I don't believe the earth is flat but I do hold to some alternative views upon certain scientific claims (which is what I assumed you were generalizing in that thread...)
Ha. Yeah, that's another thing. Young Earth, Flat Earth. Same wrong. Flat Earth is just a small enough minority to be cute. I have sympathy, but wrong is wrong.
Not the same wrong, because they are not the same theory. But perhaps the same condescension?

I'm not young earth (as is commonly understood) either.
Yeah, perhaps the same condescension. Like I said, I have sympathy.

And, OK, not identical wrong, but wrong in the same way. I mean this... If you are personally capable of doing the science, you will find that you agree with the established theory in either case. (There is a minute exception in the case of scientists who are also religious fundamentalists). If you are not personally capable of doing the science, or you have not read the balance of research, then you would be silly to pick a fight with the thousands of scientists who are. In that respect, it is the same wrong.
Onyx, I love you brother but is that an Argumentum ad populum I see in there?
Ok, let me fix that...

On either flat or young earth, if anyone has the study behind them, then let's hear it. If not, and yet he still has the confidence to dispute the results of those that do, then let's hear the basis of that confidence. EDIT: or perhaps, let's not bother hearing it.

I'm not saying it is silly to disagree with the majority. I'm not even saying that it's silly to disagree with the experts. I'm saying it's silly to disagree with experts from a position of ignorance.
Last edited by Onyx on Mon Feb 01, 2016 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
4. No more signatures that quote other CPS members.
-- Thunktank

UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Post by UncleBob » Mon Feb 01, 2016 4:30 pm

hugodrax wrote:
UncleBob wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
Thunktank wrote:
UncleBob wrote:
Onyx wrote:
tuttle wrote:
I am tempted to join just for the membership card and the newsletter.
Do they have an ordination program?[/quote?]

No, but they do really prefer that their members genuinely enjoy annoying others. I'm in if you are.
LOL! Would CPS be able to survive it?
Eh, they haven't killed any of us yet. I would love to have the promotional literature to hand out to the Mormons and Jehovahs Witnesses that knock on my door.
8O

I wanted to join just for curiosity and the humor. I failed to see the orneriness potential!

"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Mon Feb 01, 2016 4:34 pm

Onyx wrote:I'm not saying it is silly to disagree with the majority. I'm not even saying that it's silly to disagree with the experts. I'm saying it's silly to disagree with experts from a position of ignorance.
Yes, that is truth, right there.

And now for your viewing pleasure, please enjoy this dancing jalapeno.

:chili:

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

wosbald
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent

Post by wosbald » Mon Feb 01, 2016 4:56 pm

+JMJ+
Onyx wrote:If you are personally capable of doing the science, you will find that you agree with the established theory in either case.
Well, there it is. The "No True Scientist" Fallacy.

1. All Scientists affirm "X".
2. There are Scientists who don't affirm "X".
3. Well, all the true Scientists affirm "X".

:cheese:

"In the end, My Immaculate Heart will triumph." - Our Lady of Fatima

Onyx

Post by Onyx » Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:03 pm

wosbald wrote:+JMJ+
Onyx wrote:If you are personally capable of doing the science, you will find that you agree with the established theory in either case.
Well, there it is. The "No True Scientist" Fallacy.

1. All Scientists affirm "X".
2. There are Scientists who don't affirm "X".
3. Well, all the true Scientists affirm "X".

:cheese:
Yeah, UncleBob pinned me on that. Although you are actually stretching what I said. I was just making a prediction of what I think would happen based on what almost always happens. Yet I accept, this part is not a strong logical argument. So I fixed it in reply to UB.
-- Thunktank

Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway

Post by Del » Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:41 pm

Onyx wrote:
tuttle wrote:
But the Earth is young! Only 4.6 billion years!

Heck, our cute little universe is only 14 billion years old.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you." - Eph 4

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:10 pm

Del wrote:
Onyx wrote:
tuttle wrote:

When you are 20 years old, 10 seems young. When you are 30, 20 seems young. Just how old are you, Del?
"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)
"No more signatures that quote other CPS members." - Thunk

Rusty
Come and see the violence inherent in the system!

Post by Rusty » Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:53 pm

coco wrote:
Del wrote:
Onyx wrote:
tuttle wrote:

When you are 20 years old, 10 seems young. When you are 30, 20 seems young. Just how old are you, Del?
He's 55. Why?

So what happened? Do we have any flat earthers? Just young earthers? I think they're different. Onyx is wrong. This is what more spin does to one's brain. So is there a variety or spectrum of opinions concerning the Earth's age here?
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

Onyx

Post by Onyx » Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:07 pm

Rusty wrote:
coco wrote:
Del wrote:
Onyx wrote:
tuttle wrote:

He's 55. Why?

So what happened? Do we have any flat earthers? Just young earthers? I think they're different. Onyx is wrong. This is what more spin does to one's brain. So is there a variety or spectrum of opinions concerning the Earth's age here?
Why am I wrong? I think the two errors are the same type of error. Not being identical, it stands to reason that they slot in at different points along the scale of silliness, but they both make the same mistake of rejecting widely understood expertise because it's trumped by narrow personal inexperience and ignorance.

I'm guessing that you think they're different because confirmation of the Earth's globe shape is within the reach of a normal modern person, whereas it's hard for a non-expert to confirm the age of the earth from his own sensory experience. Is that it?
-- Thunktank

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:24 pm

Onyx wrote:
Rusty wrote:
coco wrote:
Del wrote:
Onyx wrote:
tuttle wrote:

He's 55. Why?

Why am I wrong? I think the two errors are the same type of error. Not being identical, it stands to reason that they slot in at different points along the scale of silliness, but they both make the same mistake of rejecting widely understood expertise because it's trumped by narrow personal inexperience and ignorance.

I'm guessing that you think they're different because confirmation of the Earth's globe shape is within the reach of a normal modern person, whereas it's hard for a non-expert to confirm the age of the earth from his own sensory experience. Is that it?
Oh I see. You're classifying the belief rather than the physics of flat earth vs. young earth.

Slow down, you move too fast
You got to make the morning last
Just kicking down the cobblestones
Looking for fun and feelin’ groovy
Ba da da da da da da, feelin’ groovy

You're probably suffering from fitzgerald contraction.

So the consensus is oblate spheroid (other than for fans of the OT). Did anyone actually say oblate spheroid?
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:12 am

I still wonder if we really have any flat earthers here and if they are hiding.

Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Cleon » Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:18 pm

UncleBob wrote:I still wonder if we really have any flat earthers here and if they are hiding.
For all practical purposes, I'm a flat earther. The math is negligible for any local event.
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:43 pm

SlowToke
John Crosby's Friend
John Crosby's Friend

Post by SlowToke » Sat Jul 23, 2016 3:05 pm

The Earth can't possibly be flat because it's hollow. Jules Verne wrote about it long ago. It was confirmed to be true in the documentary Journey to the Center of the Earth way back in 1959.
Wayne Teipen
http://teipenpipes.com
"Fools have no interest in understanding; they only want to air their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2

"Life is tough, and it's tougher when you're stupid." -- John Wayne

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Sat Jul 23, 2016 3:52 pm

Close enough?

Jocose
a large Chinese man named Wu
a large Chinese man named Wu

Post by Jocose » Sat Jul 23, 2016 4:35 pm

This thread has always perplexed me.
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

I've crossed the Bosphorus.

mont974x4
It's gotten old now
It's gotten old now

Post by mont974x4 » Sat Jul 23, 2016 5:17 pm

FredS wrote:
TNLawPiper wrote:
hogleg wrote:Isaiah 40:21-22 --- Have ye not known? Have ye not heard? Hath it not been told you from the beginning? Have ye not understood from the foundations of the earth? It is he that sitteth upon the circle of the earth, and the inhabitants thereof are as grasshoppers; that stretcheth out the heavens as a curtain, and spreadeth them out as a tent to dwell in:

Job 26:7 ---7 He stretcheth out the north over the empty place, and hangeth the earth upon nothing.
Are you saying the Bible says it's flat?
You know when Psalm 103 says "He has removed our sins as far from us as the east is from the west."? Well if the earth isn't flat that means that our sins would meet up exactly half way 'round the world from where the psalmist was. That's right, all the sins of the world meet up in . . .Houston, TX.
Interesting. I would have guessed Las Vegas.
It sounded better when the voices in my head were saying it.

Ire attracter-at-large and general misanthrope.

tuttle
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by tuttle » Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:20 am

Is the internet really a web?
"You're my kind of stupid" -Mal Reynolds

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

The Reformation Drinking Song

TNLawPiper
BrotherOfTheBriar YouHeartlessBastards
BrotherOfTheBriar YouHeartlessBastards

Post by TNLawPiper » Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:35 am

tuttle wrote:Is the internet really a web?
It's a series of tubes, dude. THE INTERTUBEZ.