The Gun Control Free Zone

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
User avatar
Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Posts: 20857
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Ad Orientem

The Gun Control Free Zone

Post by Thunktank » Tue Jul 05, 2016 2:12 am

There is to be no mention of gun control here beyond this post. None, zilch, nada. We have other threads for that. This is a new thread for responsible gun lovers to share their love of guns and the shooting sports. Also this is not a thread to share our love of shooting bad guys. I doubt anyone here loves shooting bad guys anyway. Neither should we encourage people to mix and match pipe smoking with black powder shooting even though both hobbies are things old fashioned people like to do. OK? Don't answer that here or it will start off wrong and be like all the other threads. Can we defy our old bad habits or will CPS history repeat itself? Let us instead marvel our British/Canadian/Australian brothers with our love of God and/or guns at the same time.

We shall see.

User avatar
Onyx
Darth Onyx, Bringer of Unity
Darth Onyx, Bringer of Unity
Posts: 10802
Joined: Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Skeptopolis

Re: The Gun Control Free Zone

Post by Onyx » Tue Jul 05, 2016 4:09 am

Image
4. No more signatures that quote other CPS members.
-- Thunktank

User avatar
Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar
Posts: 13719
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Indiana - South of 40
Contact:

Re: The Gun Control Free Zone

Post by Cleon » Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:22 am

I like to shoot eggs with the same Remington .22 that my wife's great grandpa used to hunt small game during The Depression. Sometimes I call the eggs "bad boys" when the hit is impressive - as in, "Did you see that bad boy 'splode all over the place?"
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

User avatar
Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway
Posts: 35714
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Re: The Gun Control Free Zone

Post by Del » Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:40 am

I was invited to an Independence Day party, hosted by a popular Catholic family. All of the usual suspects were there. I took a humidor of cigars, which was a huge hit with some dads and the bachelor herd of young men.

One of the usual suspects is a devout Republican/Lutheran mommy. (She likes hanging out with Catholics, and shows up at a great many of these celebrations). I like Stacy a lot, even though she is a vape-er.

Stacy was excitedly telling about her recent adventures shooting an AR-15 with her husband's friend. She was boasting about how tight her group was, even though she is not a regular shooter. Her 13-yo son was boasting about his bulls-eyes, too.

I don't care much for gun-chat, myself. But it's always fun to hear someone excited about their new hobbies.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you." - Eph 4

User avatar
UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician
Posts: 32404
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2004 6:00 pm
Location: Lubbock, TX USA
Contact:

Re: The Gun Control Free Zone

Post by UncleBob » Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:57 am

Image
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

User avatar
hogleg
Chief Strong Wind (Pops to TLO)
Chief Strong Wind (Pops to TLO)
Posts: 10836
Joined: Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:00 pm
Location: ~3.99 feet east of 4 feet west of here.
Contact:

Re: The Gun Control Free Zone

Post by hogleg » Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:45 am

Cleon wrote:I like to shoot eggs with the same Remington .22 that my wife's great grandpa used to hunt small game during The Depression. Sometimes I call the eggs "bad boys" when the hit is impressive - as in, "Did you see that bad boy 'splode all over the place?"
M33 or M34?
Aye. Happiness has been achieved. I can now love you all because I'll never know what you actually think. --- Hugodrax, 16 July 2016

User avatar
DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.
Posts: 25503
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Tobacco Fairy HQ, North Carolina

Re: The Gun Control Free Zone

Post by DepartedLight » Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:01 am

Sometimes shoe laces confuse me.
DL Jake

All my posts should be viewed from a position of, this guy is nuts.

so, I drank the whisky. » Bloodhound

User avatar
hogleg
Chief Strong Wind (Pops to TLO)
Chief Strong Wind (Pops to TLO)
Posts: 10836
Joined: Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:00 pm
Location: ~3.99 feet east of 4 feet west of here.
Contact:

Re: The Gun Control Free Zone

Post by hogleg » Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:05 am

DepartedLight wrote:Sometimes shoe laces confuse me.
They use Velcro for guys so confused.
Image
Aye. Happiness has been achieved. I can now love you all because I'll never know what you actually think. --- Hugodrax, 16 July 2016

User avatar
DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.
Posts: 25503
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Tobacco Fairy HQ, North Carolina

Re: The Gun Control Free Zone

Post by DepartedLight » Tue Jul 05, 2016 1:56 pm

I have unresolved traumatic memories of the Velcro Wallet craze.

Thanks for runnin' it, Beavis.
DL Jake

All my posts should be viewed from a position of, this guy is nuts.

so, I drank the whisky. » Bloodhound

User avatar
hogleg
Chief Strong Wind (Pops to TLO)
Chief Strong Wind (Pops to TLO)
Posts: 10836
Joined: Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:00 pm
Location: ~3.99 feet east of 4 feet west of here.
Contact:

Re: The Gun Control Free Zone

Post by hogleg » Tue Jul 05, 2016 4:34 pm

DepartedLight wrote:I have unresolved traumatic memories of the Velcro Wallet craze.

Thanks for runnin' it, Beavis.
Why can't I get velcro straps on running shoes in the US?
Aye. Happiness has been achieved. I can now love you all because I'll never know what you actually think. --- Hugodrax, 16 July 2016

User avatar
Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar
Posts: 13719
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Indiana - South of 40
Contact:

Re: The Gun Control Free Zone

Post by Cleon » Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:14 pm

hogleg wrote:
Cleon wrote:I like to shoot eggs with the same Remington .22 that my wife's great grandpa used to hunt small game during The Depression. Sometimes I call the eggs "bad boys" when the hit is impressive - as in, "Did you see that bad boy 'splode all over the place?"
M33 or M34?
34
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

User avatar
hogleg
Chief Strong Wind (Pops to TLO)
Chief Strong Wind (Pops to TLO)
Posts: 10836
Joined: Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:00 pm
Location: ~3.99 feet east of 4 feet west of here.
Contact:

Re: The Gun Control Free Zone

Post by hogleg » Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:57 pm

Cleon wrote:
hogleg wrote:
Cleon wrote:I like to shoot eggs with the same Remington .22 that my wife's great grandpa used to hunt small game during The Depression. Sometimes I call the eggs "bad boys" when the hit is impressive - as in, "Did you see that bad boy 'splode all over the place?"
M33 or M34?
34
The Model 34 was Remington's first .22LR bolt action repeater. Made from 1932 through 1935. It's an excellent rifle. Love mine.
Aye. Happiness has been achieved. I can now love you all because I'll never know what you actually think. --- Hugodrax, 16 July 2016

User avatar
Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Posts: 20857
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Ad Orientem

Re: The Gun Control Free Zone

Post by Thunktank » Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:34 pm

Here's my first shell I loaded without the aid of a reloader. It is also my first attempt at roll crimping. It is a 16 gauge shotshell loaded with 3/4 oz size 4 steel shot and enough IMR 800x to push that load to about 1500 fps. I won't provide exact loading info online. The wads were also slit by my hand as they weren't pre slit. I slit them all the way to the base in this batch. You can see the slit in the wad in the picture above, I'm using clear Rio shells. This load is designed as an ultimate steel rabbit load. Rabbits usually flush close and I wanted a small amount of relatively large shot sized to provide complete pass through more often. Steel shot really sucks to bite into.

Image

User avatar
Jocose
a large Chinese man named Wu
a large Chinese man named Wu
Posts: 19728
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Moonbase Alpha
Contact:

Re: The Gun Control Free Zone

Post by Jocose » Wed Jul 06, 2016 4:19 pm

Buy yer EBR now, buy yer hi-cap mags. Buy yer bulk ammo.
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

I've crossed the Bosphorus.

User avatar
venator260
Minister of Metal
Minister of Metal
Posts: 2420
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:00 pm
Location: Southcentral, PA
Contact:

Re: The Gun Control Free Zone

Post by venator260 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:07 am

Thunktank wrote:Here's my first shell I loaded without the aid of a reloader. It is also my first attempt at roll crimping. It is a 16 gauge shotshell loaded with 3/4 oz size 4 steel shot and enough IMR 800x to push that load to about 1500 fps. I won't provide exact loading info online. The wads were also slit by my hand as they weren't pre slit. I slit them all the way to the base in this batch. You can see the slit in the wad in the picture above, I'm using clear Rio shells. This load is designed as an ultimate steel rabbit load. Rabbits usually flush close and I wanted a small amount of relatively large shot sized to provide complete pass through more often. Steel shot really sucks to bite into.

Image
One of my goals now that I live in a rural area and have a bigger house is to use one of the rooms to reload ammo. I already have a working RCBS press and a shotshell reloader whose brand escapes me at the moment. So far, projects on the house and work have gotten in the way of fun. I've several firearms at my parents house that haven't been touched in years except for periodic rust inspections.

Perhaps at the the end of this kitchen project I can celebrate by destroying an appliance with FMJ's and my SKS.

User avatar
Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Posts: 20857
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Ad Orientem

Re: The Gun Control Free Zone

Post by Thunktank » Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:03 pm

venator260 wrote:
Thunktank wrote:Here's my first shell I loaded without the aid of a reloader. It is also my first attempt at roll crimping. It is a 16 gauge shotshell loaded with 3/4 oz size 4 steel shot and enough IMR 800x to push that load to about 1500 fps. I won't provide exact loading info online. The wads were also slit by my hand as they weren't pre slit. I slit them all the way to the base in this batch. You can see the slit in the wad in the picture above, I'm using clear Rio shells. This load is designed as an ultimate steel rabbit load. Rabbits usually flush close and I wanted a small amount of relatively large shot sized to provide complete pass through more often. Steel shot really sucks to bite into.

Image
One of my goals now that I live in a rural area and have a bigger house is to use one of the rooms to reload ammo. I already have a working RCBS press and a shotshell reloader whose brand escapes me at the moment. So far, projects on the house and work have gotten in the way of fun. I've several firearms at my parents house that haven't been touched in years except for periodic rust inspections.

Perhaps at the the end of this kitchen project I can celebrate by destroying an appliance with FMJ's and my SKS.
Reloading to me isn't really a fun thing to do as it is interesting to learn about and the ability to make custom loads the way I want them. It's also a great way for me to take a break. It helps me to winde down at the end of the day and helps get stuff off my mind as it requires undivided attention.

So far I only load for handgun and 16 gauge. In the 45 Colt, my favorite handgun round, it's an excellent way to make mid range pressure and power loads that the market is missing or way too expensive to buy. The 16 gauge is practically obsolete and never was popular here in California. At best I can find a few boxes of low end shells during the hunting season. But even that has become rare. And other than high cost of heavy duck loads, I can't even buy non tox online. I can make much better stuff than I can buy and for lower cost. I own a reloader for shotgun, but it's nearly useless for loading with steel shot. I will invest in another more useful set up eventually that will handing 20 and 12 gauge steel as well. California is requiring non tox for all hunting over the next few years.

I don't load for my big game rifles in 308 and 30-06 yet. I will probably end up playing with it eventually, but they are low volume shooters and the factory ammo I use works great and is readily available. I can shoot sub moa, no need to make it more accurate with custom loads. I don't do the trendy "long range" hunting that has become popular the last few years.

User avatar
hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy
Posts: 14869
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:00 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: The Gun Control Free Zone

Post by hugodrax » Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:44 pm

Thunktank wrote:
venator260 wrote:
Thunktank wrote:Here's my first shell I loaded without the aid of a reloader. It is also my first attempt at roll crimping. It is a 16 gauge shotshell loaded with 3/4 oz size 4 steel shot and enough IMR 800x to push that load to about 1500 fps. I won't provide exact loading info online. The wads were also slit by my hand as they weren't pre slit. I slit them all the way to the base in this batch. You can see the slit in the wad in the picture above, I'm using clear Rio shells. This load is designed as an ultimate steel rabbit load. Rabbits usually flush close and I wanted a small amount of relatively large shot sized to provide complete pass through more often. Steel shot really sucks to bite into.

Image
One of my goals now that I live in a rural area and have a bigger house is to use one of the rooms to reload ammo. I already have a working RCBS press and a shotshell reloader whose brand escapes me at the moment. So far, projects on the house and work have gotten in the way of fun. I've several firearms at my parents house that haven't been touched in years except for periodic rust inspections.

Perhaps at the the end of this kitchen project I can celebrate by destroying an appliance with FMJ's and my SKS.
Reloading to me isn't really a fun thing to do as it is interesting to learn about and the ability to make custom loads the way I want them. It's also a great way for me to take a break. It helps me to winde down at the end of the day and helps get stuff off my mind as it requires undivided attention.

So far I only load for handgun and 16 gauge. In the 45 Colt, my favorite handgun round, it's an excellent way to make mid range pressure and power loads that the market is missing or way too expensive to buy. The 16 gauge is practically obsolete and never was popular here in California. At best I can find a few boxes of low end shells during the hunting season. But even that has become rare. And other than high cost of heavy duck loads, I can't even buy non tox online. I can make much better stuff than I can buy and for lower cost. I own a reloader for shotgun, but it's nearly useless for loading with steel shot. I will invest in another more useful set up eventually that will handing 20 and 12 gauge steel as well. California is requiring non tox for all hunting over the next few years.

I don't load for my big game rifles in 308 and 30-06 yet. I will probably end up playing with it eventually, but they are low volume shooters and the factory ammo I use works great and is readily available. I can shoot sub moa, no need to make it more accurate with custom loads. I don't do the trendy "long range" hunting that has become popular the last few years.
You become speedily more interesting. Your interests are those of a human. Your notion of a big game rifle is humorous, though. Hunting anything bigger than Republicans? :clown:
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

User avatar
Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak
Posts: 22000
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: In the fertile San Joaquin Valley

Re: The Gun Control Free Zone

Post by Hovannes » Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:32 pm

California is getting to be, well, interesting.
I expect I'll be doing more reloading as well so I'm setting aside a few components
I noticed the local Ace has Hogdgon Universal.

User avatar
Mnicholas
Pastor
Pastor
Posts: 948
Joined: Thu Nov 25, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: Orlando, FL
Contact:

Re: The Gun Control Free Zone

Post by Mnicholas » Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:10 pm

My father just gave my wife a nice .25 that is easy to carry (she has her concealed carry), now I need to find what I want to carry.

of course my brilliant HUGE company just made us killing zone.... sigh.

User avatar
Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Posts: 20857
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Ad Orientem

Re: The Gun Control Free Zone

Post by Thunktank » Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:23 am

DepartedLight wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
hogleg wrote:
joegoat wrote:
Hovannes wrote:
joegoat wrote:Researching .44 special.
.44 Special is a fine caliber---a 44 Mag 240gr SWC at a little over 900fps is even better!
Yeah, the .44 mag is cool alright.
It makes my day.

Image
It's a metrosexual weapon. A .45 will do. I'm surprised at you, Hogleg.
Metrosexual weapon? No way. That's a total "my pee-pee is too small and I don't want people to know" kind of gig.
What? A .45 like this? I sense jealousy from you two. A 44 or 45 S&W N frame are wonderful guns if you have one with good cylinder boars.

Image

I most often use mine for target shooting using "cowboy" level loads. My favorite target load uses a 255 grain SWC over a charge of IMR 700x Hi Skor powder. Very consistent and accurate and doesn't display case sensitivity.

When it is used as a truck gun, hiking or hunting I use the same bullet over a stout load using HS-6 powder at about 1000 fps. HS-6 also shoots very accurately once enough pressure is applied. But it recoils more sharply than other powders at similar power levels. I don't shoot a lot of those in this gun, but it handles it fine in moderation at least.

I use a leather pancake style holster to carry it. For such a large gun, it carries it so lightly and easily. I can forget it's there until I go to sit down.

Post Reply